Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How Did Your Favorite Pony Become Your Favorite Pony?

Shanks

I honestly don't know how Applejack came to be my favorite.

It used to be RD, then for some reason it was Rarity, then it switched to Twilight, then Pinkie, then finally Applejack. I'm just weird like that.

They are all great characters and because of that the other spots on my list keep changing, Pinkie Pie used to be my 2nd favorite then it was Twilight and now it is Rainbow Dash. Twilight used to be my third, then it was Rainbow Dash and now it is Pinkie Pie.

Rainbow Dash was my favourite pony from the start.  I liked Twilight because I identified with her, but I just *loved* Rainbow's character.  She was brash and strongheaded, but capable, and as I saw more and more episodes with her, it was clear this loud, boastful mask concealed a complex and deeply flawed character, more terrified of failure than death.  And nothing really gets me more than a complex and flawed character.

When I started writing fan fiction, however - that's when I started to notice Spitfire.  This was back when her only speaking parts were in Hurricane Fluttershy and at the gala, but from what I could see, she was a lot like Rainbow in all the good ways - amiable, confident, and immensely capable, but without the crippling fear of failure or stronheaded and foolish approach to problems.  That's when I realized that Spitfire is Rainbow's dream given life.  Spitfire *is* Rainbow, if everything in life works out.

And that is why the two characters are tied and balanced as my favourite ponies - they complement each other nicely, and tell a subtle background story without words.

I also ship them relentlessly.

• Brohoof 3

It's a bit tough to say how and why I ended up with Fluttershy, as my favorite pony, other than the fact that I'm a sucker for cute things. :) I had already watched one episode, without her in it and loved it, and was debating with myself whether to watch any more. I was looking at clips and saw a load of Fluttershy ones, and I just thought she was really adorable, so when I finally started watching for real (in order of episodes) I already kind of liked her, but she became a character I just really cared about for some reason - as strange as it may sound, she's someone I'd look after if she was real.

My second favorite is Rainbow Dash, and it's even stranger how this happened (warning; shipping involved). For some reason, the more I looked at fan material, and the more I looked at how the characters behaved during most episodes, the more adorable Flutterdash appeared in my mind. Please keep calm if you hate shipping; it is non-canon, and I even alternate between shipping and friendshipping with them.

I always kind of found her cool in general, but the fact I had started shipping her with somepony made me automatically look for the nicer side to her character (I still realize it's not canon!) I looked at episodes like "Sonic Rainboom", and "The Cutie Mark Chronicles" which showed a much nicer side to her in some scenes, and episodes like "Sonic Rainboom" (again) and "The Mysterious Mare Do Well" showed her in a really relatable light - her arrogance was no longer something to hate about her, it was a flaw to understand about her character, and to make her relatable (I could go on much longer about her best episodes in my mind - the ones that make her more "real"). Also, once MLD happened I was relating to her even more - it's really tough to tell how this happened. Basically, I didn't have a second favorite pony for ages - just a favorite pony, and a favorite shipping for that pony.

The CMC are my third favorites (because I just can't choose between them!) partly because the first episode I watched was "The Show Stoppers" (an episode I'll always have a spot for), but also because I find their storyline really relatable; when I was a child I always questioned what my purpose in life was, and what I was meant to do in the world. I would have loved for the CMC to have been around when I was young, it would have been a very relatable storyline for me - that's one of the reasons I'm fascinated with cutie marks in general, it's a storyline I want to explore.

If that was too long, I apologise - I tend to type a lot when I'm passionate on the subject.

Edited by MJNSEIFER
  • Brohoof 2

I've always been drawn to gentle souls like myself. So Fluttershy immediately became my favorite. Applejack is a close second for her tied back golden mane and her accent.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't really have a favorite. Heck I didn't even watch the show. Until I saw the first two episodes. Then SHE APPEARED! That orange pony goodness!

Applejack

Everything about her is pure awesome! The voice, the personality, the hat , SHE WAS PERFECT!

And that is why Applejack is my favorite..

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Lyra? I supported her as a seemingly hopeless cause in the Most Attractive Pony tournament and was impressed by how many others loved her, prompting me to check her out more. Now I love her too.

Rainbow Dash I loved from day one. No other character could be so aggressive and forceful while being so cute. Her voice was cute, her colors rocked, and she gave Twilight poofy hair.

Silver Spoon I love for her awesome design and great potential as a character, Apple Bloom I love for her independence and curiosity. Out of the CMC she seems the most like a real kid.

And Rarity? Fabulosity personified. Or should I say ponified? EDIT: And that was my 1300th post. :wub:

Edited by TailsIsNotAlone

So I am wondering how did your favorite pony become your favorite Pony and why?

Rainbow Dash is my favorite because of her style and coolness and how she is always there for everypony and she reminds me of me. I think even though she can be stuck up at point it reminds me that we are all ponies :P

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I really like Scootaloo because for one she is so cute. Also because she reminds me of Rainbow Dash a bit. She can be hasty however she is adventurous (which is a trait I admire).

1hKSD5B.jpg

Edited by DarkEly
  • Brohoof 1

I have two favourites.

Rarity: After I watched 'A Dog and Pony Show', I had to re-watch it I was laughing so hard. I also thought she was great in 'Suited for Success'.

Twilight Sparkle:

I share many personality traits with this particular purple equine. All that's missing is the Princess-hood and the Horn.

• Brohoof 1

I have two favourites.

Rarity: After I watched 'A Dog and Pony Show', I had to re-watch it I was laughing so hard. I also thought she was great in 'Suited for Success'.

Twilight Sparkle:

I share many personality traits with this particular purple equine. All that's missing is the Princess-hood and the Horn.

Ya I how she gets a mane like Princess Celista and Princess Luna because their manes are so adorable and RD's mane would look 20% Cooler with a flowing rainbow mane wouldn't she :P

• Brohoof 1

Ya I how she gets a mane like Princess Celista and Princess Luna because their manes are so adorable and RD's mane would look 20% Cooler with a flowing rainbow mane wouldn't she :P

Rainbow Dash would look nice with a flowing mane however it would take away from her rugged (tom boy-ish) look. So ya I would say flowing mane on RD would not turn out so well.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not entirely sure how Applejack became my favourite pony, but I guess I could say that if I were a pony in Equestria, out of all the mane six, I'd want to be friends with Applejack the most. She's honest, thoughtful, confident, hard-working and cares an awful lot about family. When I found out that her parents being dead were canon I liked her even more because it made me think of how bold she was and how much she just wanted to make them proud.

Sorry, I think I've got something in my eye...

• Brohoof 2

Well, my favorite pony was Fluttershy, because I could relate to her a lot. But then I watched Sleepless in Ponyville. Scootalove is best love! :D

So my favorites now are Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash. I can't relate to either of them in pretty much any way, (well, I kinda can with Scootaloo) but they just instantly became my favorite ponies. I had liked them before, but they only took the first place spot after seeing that episode.

• Brohoof 1

Rainbow Dash is my favourite because she is just like me, and she's too cool to care about what anypony else thinks. Who couldn't like that? (Rhetorical question, BTW. Do not answer or I'll blow up. You have been warned)

• Brohoof 2

Rainbow Dash is my favorite pony because, of her design and how her character has developed as of late. Especially, in Sleepless in Ponyville.

• Brohoof 2

Pinkie Pie is my favorite because my lady said "You'll LOVE Pinkie Pie! She's like the Deadpool of the group!" And I was like "Okay!" And then I watched the show, and this was true. Love Part of One, the episode with the baby cakes, and the episode with Cranky Doodle Donkey. She shows character in those eps, especially the one where she babysits the cakes. Makes me go "d'awww" just thinking about it.

Rarity and Fluttershy are also high up there.  Rarity as a character really grew on me after Suited for Success. She's just a really funny character; high class, but also really kind. Worries about silly things that don't matter like her mane or dress getting messed up, but that also is somehow charming. And then Fluttershy is just Fluttershy, heh. Adowable, like someone else I know :3

• Brohoof 1

So I am wondering how did your favorite pony become your favorite Pony and why?

Rainbow Dash is my favorite because of her style and coolness and how she is always there for everypony and she reminds me of me. I think even though she can be stuck up at point it reminds me that we are all ponies :P

I've merged your topic, 'How did your favorite pony become your favorite pony?' with a pre-existing topic of the same name, for obvious reasons :3

• Brohoof 1

Applejack became my favorite pony after I finished watching the Last Roundup. The emotion was so deep in that episode, and if only some stupid background pony didn't butt her nose in, it would have been amazing. I can't and will never be able to relate to Applejack in any way, except for maybe the fact that she's not flashy or famous, just like me. You all say she's "boring" and "uninteresting," but there's much more to this character. I bet some of you are rolling on the ground laughing when I say that she may be the most complex character of the main six. Stellafera's post in this thread sums up the reasons why I think so.

Edited by Manaphy
  • Brohoof 4

Rarity. We share a similar personality. I LOVE sparkles/glitter, were both fabulous (not trying to sound like a conceited person :P) and were both very generous. Rarity is just so amazing, i'm OBSESSED with her. She's always been my favourite ever since day one. I love everything about her. I love her flaws and all. And of course I love Sweetie Belle :P

Second would have to be Fluttershy, like my brony friend she is just so cute :3 She's always cute and we just love her!

and Third, I LOVE Diamond Tiara. I know she gets alot of hate but I cant put my hoof on why I love her so much. and you can't say Diamond Tiara without Silver Spoon.

I love all the other mane 6 ponies (individually and as a whole) but if I could only pick one favorite it'd be Rarity :3

• Brohoof 2

I could have sworn I replied to this thread already. I really did. And, in a way, it feels like I did because I have written at least four sizable posts about Fluttershy in the last week or so. But the question is, "How Did Your Favorite Pony Become Your Favorite Pony?" I may have touched on this question once or twice, but I don't think I ever fully answered it. Those of you who regularly read my posts may find me repeating myself here, so please bear with me.

There are several Fluttershy fans here and many of them will cite her cuteness, kindness, and gentle demeanor as reasons they feel drawn toward her. Her almost supernatural way with animals is also mentioned. Many fans, myself included, have some social anxiety issues and that enables us to relate to her. I agree with all of those as good reasons to like the yellow pegasus. But those alone didn't cause Fluttershy to emerge as my favorite pony. At the time, Rainbow Dash was my favorite pony, and it would take something extraordinary to displace her as number one on my list. Sure enough, as time went on, Fluttershy proved herself to be a very special pony in my eyes.

All Mane 6 ponies have some contradictions in their make up. But if you look up the word "contradiction" in Twilight Sparkle's dictionary, you will find Fluttershy's picture there. She is the ultimate contradiction. At first glance, it doesn't make any sense. How can she be afraid of her own shadow one minute and then staring down lethal monsters the next? I find this dichotomy to be the most fascinating aspect of Fluttershy's makeup. It was only by closely observing her behavior in numerous episodes that the truth came out. Fluttershy is every bit as brave and strong-willed as any other Mane 6 pony. But a number of factors have created a powerful psychological complex which holds her back. It is very firmly rooted and most of the time she appears to be weak and cowardly. She is so scared of judgment and ridicule from others that she seldom speaks in a loud voice. She also allows herself to be a doormat. It is only in unusual circumstances, such as a life or death crisis, that she is able to break this cycle. That's when Fluttershy puts all of those foibles aside and truly shines like the Element of Harmony she wears.

One of the things that endeared me to MLP:FiM is the many true-to-life aspects the cartoon has. Among them is that, just like real world people, every pony carries a burden of one kind or another. Fluttershy indeed has a very large cross to bear. That is why I'm so grateful she now has five great friends she can turn to. I can't help but cheer for her every time she defeats her greatest adversary: Herself.

• Brohoof 4

I am a cocky full of myself type of person so I just liked Dash right off the bat. First full episode I watched was Super Speedy Cider Squeezy and I can see a lot of myself in her character. I love her scratchy voice and her cutie mark is awesome.

One of my favorite Dash scenes:

I like Rarity as well, at first she just sort of seemed meh, but then I realized how much she adds to the show and she grew on me quickly. I love it when she wines and gets all dramatic.

One of my favorite Rarity scenes:

• 9 months later...

There are many factors that can help you choose who's your favorite pony. Maybe which one reminds you of yourself the most or which is the most relatable to you. You could also go about which one did something you thought was amazing or if the pony had a really good episode. 

Personally Pinkie is my favorite because her hyperactive nature and randomness remind me of me

• Brohoof 1

It isn't hard.

Just go with the pony you feel the most. Don't second guess yourself; just watch the show and find which one gives you the most enjoyment.

Does it have to be like, far and away a singular pony, like me? Nahh.

You don't even really need a favorite :D

Just think about which one you enjoy to see the most of, and there's your best :D

• Brohoof 1

Originally I didn't have a favorite pony, it was just a matter of which ones I didn't like. Then, I finally decided on Lyra because I once had a hilarious moment a long time ago where I had this really weird lucid dream where Lyra and I were in this huge city trying to find this drug lord or some criminal and I left her behind at this bar while we split up looking for answers. I woke up and was instantly like, "CRAP! I LEFT LYRA BACK AT THE-" then I realized it was a dream. It was so funny because I actually legitimately got anxious about it before realizing was a dream. Needless to say, I laughed. :D

Also, I love the fandom about her being obsessed with humans because I love the parallel universe aspect where she is picked on by ponies for liking humans, much like bronies are IRL for liking ponies. I know a lot of bronies hate this fandom but I love it.

• Brohoof 1