How Did Your Favorite Pony Become Your Favorite Pony?

Shanks

I've always had a hard time choosing my favorite pony. Right now I have a three-way thing with Rarity, Fluttershy and Discord. Of them all, Discord is the only one who has been in my list since the start of my bronydom. So maybe he is my favorite.

His twisted humor and wit make for a killer combination. He's clever and manipulative and interesting to observe because he knows what he's doing. As of recently, he has revealed some softness inside of him. He's a pretty dynamic character considering how much screen time he's received... I'm dying for more.

I like Flutters because I feel like I can relate to her, and I like Rarity because she's absolutely adorable with her behavior, voice and glamorous look. Though I do think discord takes the cake.

RwT75Mq.png

My favorite pony is a very hard to distinguish tie between Luna and Fluttershy. Both of them have characteristics that I relate a lot to, causing me to prefer them. 

In the area of finding your favorite pony, just think about which pony you wish to see the most, think about most in depth, or just relate to. That is pretty much the basis for anybody's favorite pony.

Scientific analysis, much testing and a lot of time... I have engineered a scale that measures adorableness in terms of "aww"s. The pony that ranks highest on this system wins my personal title of best pony... But my research hit a fatal snag.

Fluttershy, Princess Luna and Derpy all maxed out the scale. At this point, I could have them battle to the death for the title by having them switch the crown around on just about a day to day basis or have them share it. Because of the show's nature, I chose the second option.

While I chose best pony by the hard-to-measure adorable factor, there are other ways to pick. Perhaps the most relatable, the best role model, the most admirable... There is no official way to pick, just give it time.

Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 1

• 4 months later...

After going back to last December in every version of the search I could think of I did not see a topic like this one. If I somehow missed it I apologize to the mods.

I am not asking WHO your best pony is but how did you choose? 

I was asked who I thought was 'best pony' (my favorite pony) and found I have like 4 or 5 options to choose from and I can't decide between them.

In a show with so many characters how did you decide which one was best?

Well like most new bronies I fell back on Rainbow Dash when I first joined the fandom because she was the most "safe" choice. As I countuned to watch the show and look through more fandom material I began to fall for Fluttershy. It has been that way since.

(edited)

It was purely gut feel for me. I loved all of them, but I felt like I just understood Rarity in a positive way on a deeper level than the others, since her style and artistry are the most evocative of mine. Only difference I have with her general persona is taste. Fluttershy I also get and identify with to that extent, but her traits are ones I personally dislike about myself, so I actually didn't like her for a long time.

Edited by Little Black Dress

Flutty, she's shy and introverted, much like me, but she had also some great character development similar of mine when I watched Magical Mystery Cure. Some fics about her adopting foals and humans  helped  ;)

img-2932814-1-Siggy_zps681ace54.png

I hated Twilight, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie. I liked RD, but I thought she was annoying. Rarity looked fine enough, but then I heard her talk. I knew immediately she wasn't my favorite, so that kinda just left AJ. She never really did anything wrong in the first 2 episodes, and by the 3rd episode I liked her enough that I could overlook her flaws.

PdSWUnD.png

You'se a b*tch. - Riley Freeman

Signature made by Kyoshi

MLP Forums 2nd Most Random Member

Fluttershy is what I'd like to be, or at least wish I was. The effort I put into that isn't overwhelming, since I have a real hard time being kind to people who just don't warrant it. At least I could be more Fluttershy-y to people I like. My active demeanor is a bit ascerbic.

Rarity is much more like what I am, in affectations, interests and talents.

Probably the only pony I don't have anything much in common with is Pinkie Pie. The others are all relatable in some meaningful way, enough for it to be hard to put any of them first. It'd be like ranking my friends, ie. kind of a weird thing to do.

I chose Fluttershy because of she's half of what I currently am and half of what I wish I could be.

We're both incredibly shy, to the point to where forced social situations basically kill us. However, there's another aspect of hers that I greatly envy; her kindness. It might be because, no matter where I go, I can't ever seem to escape hatred, but I seem to really lack this. I can't seem to bring myself to care much about others.

Basically, I like Fluttershy out of jealousy.

First time I saw Rarity, I was absolutely captivated by her character - it was in Equestria Girls, and that might be why I like it so much - it showed me Rarity :D

It was originally just me waiting for her to show up on screen again - I was thinking "I want to see more of her" throughout the whole movie. I didn't have a set favorite character after seeing the one episode I saw of MLP before diving right into EQG :D

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

You know, it was love at first sight, it seems :D

will_you_be_my_very_special_somepony__by

CpYKgl1.png

He who is Positively Obsessed With All Things Rarity!!!

"Not everyone who is pretty is necessarily beautiful. For those two to come together is truly a Rarity"

-Jacob G. Rosenberg

Signature by @FadedSkies

Applejack embodies a lot of traits that I aspire to live up to. Shes just good, yo. Also, I love her accent.

Fluttershy is close, though. I struggle a lot with social anxiety, so I identify with a lot of her problems.

29q1lx3.jpg

When I first found out about the Mane 6 and saw the merchandise, Fluttershy stood out instantly because of  the way her eyes were, everything about her look just screamed gentleness and adorability. As I watched FIM I obviously kept an eye out for her and her unassuming demeanour and introverted nature made me warm to her even more. I identify with her lack of assertion and reservedness, and her comfort with animals over her own kind. I wish I could be as kind as her too. That's why she became the best pony for me I guess :yay:

It took me a while but I eventually realized that Twilight is best pony. I'm probably the most similar to Fluttershy but I felt more of a connection to Twilight. I really admire almost everything about her.

img-23394-1-img-23394-1-img-23394-1-img-
Signature by Lacerna | You should fill out my Johari Window. All the cool kids are doing it.

(edited)

I chose Twilight as MY best pony because she was the one I felt I related to the most: starting off with little to no friends and having a lot to learn. Frantic Twilight moments  :o like from Bird in a Hoof. Lesson Zero, and Crystal Empire were the main moments when I felt I was in her horseshoes.   ^_^ Also for the same reason as Frostgage before me said:

It took me a while but I eventually realized that Twilight is best pony. I'm probably the most similar to Fluttershy but I felt more of a connection to Twilight. I really admire almost everything about her.

Edited by WiiGuy2014

A Dragon as big as his love for Disney and has his head in the clouds literally and figuratively

948524045_DragonWillGuideBannerbyWifeofHawks.jpg.d26404e241135b8f330fd49c3a2858d9.jpg 

Ask Will Guide | Signature by Wife of Hawks | WiiGuy2014’s OCs

I liked Pinkie Pie at first just because she was fun and cute, but I eventually chose Fluttershy as best pony because I relate to her so much, and I've found more ways we're alike as the show's gone on. Pinkie is still second, but tied with Dashie and Rarity because they all have awesome writing and development.

Well I am still kind of stuck as Fluttershy was my favorite and when they don't Flanderize her I still really like her, but my appreciation for Rairty has skyrocketed, as I can tell some of the old movies they are spoofing with her and find that fantastic.

Then there is Luna which I have a connection too that goes just beyond the show, Shining Armour who I always swoon for and find myself the most vested in when there are stories he is involved in and Cadence who when I find an episode with her in it I am so excited that she is there that I watch the episode multiple times over a day just for her parts....so I have no idea who I could say best pony is. v.v 

Fluttershy was my favorite from the start.  She's who I related to the most.  She's literally me in pony form. XD

But as the show went on, I just kept liking Rarity more and more.  Her character seems like it would be stuck up and selfish, but she's so sweet to everyone.  Now Rarity and Fluttershy are tied.  :)

(edited)

At first when I watched the show, Pinkie and Twily spoke to me. I loved how much fun Pinkie has and saw that trait in me, I make the most of alot of situations. But Twily's book smarts is something I have a lot of also, and I generally describe myself as a Scholar and enjoy learning.

But then I watched Suite and Elite...it was Rarity from that point on. Her class, her intelligence, the breaking of typical tropes for the classy fashion forward girl...Her voice, her songs were amazing. Most of all, I picked her over all because of her Generosity...I am not saying i'm not a generous person, but she is so giving that it was what I lacked that attracted me to her. My own faults opposite of her strengths reminds me of how to strive to be better and more giving.

So with that, I am a certified Rarifan!

thCADNMVI4.jpg

Edited by Cstriker
  • Brohoof 1

When first I watched the first two episodes of season one (the only exposure I had to S1 for months and months), MLP didn't really take for me - but RD did.  Hers was the voice I most liked; particularly that occasional squeak and squeaky little laugh; by comparison, I didn't really care for some of the other character voices.  I thought the tomboyish thing was kinda cute in and of itself (not overtly feminine like a Rarity type, but still possessing a feminity that was apparent to me), and I later found RD doing some very cute things in general.  She just had a tremendous amount of personality, and I found her confidence and unsubtle bouts of bragging strangely endearing lol.  Though perhaps I had some leanings, visually / aesthetically speaking, towards RD before I even watched those or any episodes, everything just kinda clicked with her.  This doesn't-realize-she's-adorable, rainbow-maned, weather-manipulating pegasus pony that loves speed and naps equally just sorta...  Flew into my heart.  Obligatory :wub:  face!

zbVhNRD.gif
"It uses the faculty of what you call imagination. But that does not mean making things up. It is a form of seeing." - from "The Amber Spyglass"