Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anypony You Overlooked? Did you hate one pony but like them now?

Shanks

Have you overlooked anypony in the show and then later came to like them or even love them? I sure did and 3 ponies in particular come to mind,

Rainbow Dash: I was never one of her haters and I did like her but thought she was a tad overrated until Sleepless In Ponyville and Wonderbolt Academy changed my mind and bumped her to my 3rd and later 2nd favorite pony. I like that we got to see her sensitive side by taking on sisterly roll to Scootaloo and look forward to some more Scootalove in the future both because it is adorable and presents several opportunities for excellent character development for both of them. And we got to see that Rainbow Dash can be responsible as she risked her dream to become a Wonderbolt to do the right thing. She is still cocky and often reluctant to show her feelings but there is no question she has grown the most out of the mane 6.

Rarity: While I wasn't one of her hard core haters I didn't like Rarity that much at first because I found her overly dramatic premadonna attitude to be annoying. But looking back at the episodes that focus on her found that while the writers emphasize that side of her a bit too much for my liking she can also in many cases be generous and cares very deeply about her friends and goes to great lengths to please her sister Sweetie Belle. She has a great deal of potential as a character that I hope comes out in season 4 as we haven't seen much of her in season 3.

Twilight Sparkle: I overlooked her mainly because I tend to do that with leader characters in general because alot of them seem a bit too perfect sometimes and often find the other characters to be more interesting case in point is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with Leonardo the leader of the group being my least favorite. It is not that I hated Leo I just don't find him as interesting as his brothers but I liked 2003 version because it showed that he is not always mr perfect. It was when a friend of mine observed that I have a lot in common with her that I realized he was right and rexamined her character and started to really relate to her to the point where she became my 2nd favorite pony and later became tied with Applejack and Luna for best pony.

• Brohoof 5

Defnintley Rarity.When the show first began I pretty much never took my attention of Pinkie/Twilight Sparkle but as the series itself went on and she got more episodes dedicated to her I think she may be my second favorite pony:)

• Brohoof 2

Rarity. at first, she was probably my least favorite pony. But as I continued to watch the show, be developed a love for Unicorns. After I saw Sisterhooves Social, she became my favorite pony.

I overlooked Rarity but, she is starting to grow on me. I hope for sure, that she gets more episodes in Season 4. Plus, a pony like her possesses beauty and generosity. I should never overlook anypony again.

I actually overlooked twilight for a bit even if she was pretty much always my 2nd favorite, but I didn't really appreciate her until after a while, I started to relate to her more and more, appreciate her adorkableness, how her color scheme is so beautiful, and even relating some of her situations to mine. She's a pretty close 2nd to Fluttershy for me now.

I also overlooked rarity for a while. I use to not care for her at all, but that's mostly because I skipped "Suited for success" at first, so I didn't really like her until one of her episodes after that, then I watched "suited for success" and began to like her more and even appreciate her dramatic humor and other qualities, shes still my 5th favorite, but I appreciate her character.

Oh and until "Sleepless in ponyville" I overlooked scootaloo a bit, now she's practically even with sweetie belle, I'm not sure which I like more now..

I could say I didn't fully appreciate a lot of characters for a while, but I'm not gonna list them all because I still didn't nessarly overlook them.

Trixie: When i first saw her in Boast busters i thought she was an annoying show-off but after seeing magic duel and that she actually managed to apologize i see hope for her redemption in the future.

Edited by Rainbowswag4

I used to think Rarity was a bitch but, then she became my second favorite pony.

Trixie seemed like a jerk at first to me. Now I'm a Trixie fan.

At first I didn't really care for any of the princeses but then I became a Luna fan.

One day I realized that Octavia is way better than Derpy.

Rainbow Dash on the other hand has been my favorite since day one.  

As for Twilight, I still don't like her that much (she's at the bottom of my list) :/ Although she is funny sometimes.

Edited by Neighvana666

Of the Mane 6, I've overlooked Pinkie Pie in the past because I didn't care for her hyper-outgoing personality. She's still the hardest one for me to identify with, but my appreciation for her has grown over time. This is what I've had to say about her recently:

Pinkie Pie's greatest gift is her ability to bring out the best in others. Pinkie first demonstrates this in the series opener. On their first ever mission together, fear fell upon her new friends as they wandered into the Everfree Forest. It was her laughter that raised their spirits and gave them the confidence to push on. In A Friend In Deed, Pinkie met a seriously depressed newcomer. He was living in the past and had lost the spark and the joy that makes life worth living. In her quest to see that nobody goes unhappy, Pinkie did the one thing that could remedy his problem by reuniting him with his long lost girlfriend.

I can even cite two examples of Pinkie Pie physically bringing out the best in others. The first was in Baby Cakes. Pound and Pumpkin weren't just exhibiting mild outbursts of unicorn and pegasus power, they were tearing it up! My personal belief is that it was their proximity to Pinkie which caused them to be so much stronger than older kids like Sweetie Belle. The other instance is in A Canterlot Wedding. By herself, Twilight Sparkle can only fire magic bolts one at a time like a semi-automatic. But with one touch of her tail, Pinkie Pie turned her into a Changeling mowing Gatling gun

Pinkie Pie. Her randomness and need for validation from others were a turn off for me at first. I identify much more with Fluttershy who prefers quality over quantity when it comes to friends. I don't like making a big fuss over a bunch of mere acquaintances. Nor do I seek to be their center of attention either. Of the Mane 6 ponies, Pinkie Pie is the hardest one for me to relate to.

As time went on, I started to see what a huge contribution Pinkie Pie makes to the team. As crazy and insane as she is, Pinkie brings so much to the table. Pinkie Pie is Fluttershy's counterweight on the Mane 6's hyper-outgoing/ultra-reserved scale. And her greatest gift of all is her ability to bring out the best in her friends.

In the character development department, Pinkie is in the bottom half with Fluttershy and Rarity. But Too Many Pinkie Pies clearly shows that, as much as she loves fun and games, they aren't the most important things in life to her.

• Brohoof 2

Applejack.

I never truly liked the country thing about her.  I don't usually like movies about characters like that or cowboys or any of that stuff.  I still don't.

But I've come to realize how lovely a character Applejack is.  Is Twilight were unavailable, Applejack could easily take over as leader for the time she would be gone.  Applejack is smart, kind, funny, honest...she's lovely. 

Now, Applejack went from my least favorite of the mane six to the fourth.  Sorry Rarity, Rainbow Dash. D:

Edited by Feather Gem
  • Brohoof 2

For me it's probably Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle. At first I thought they were just annoying and didn't really play an interesting role in the show. Later on I realized that they were actually great characters, Scoots is just awesome and I love the fact that she's a big Rainbow Dash fan and Sweetie Belle is adorable, I like her interactions with Rarity.

twilight, sure she was magic and stuff, i didnt care for her too much, she used to be number 4 on the list, then as the show went on, i realised how much she ment to me, now shes number 2

pinkie pie will always remain supreme

Zecora, I used to think of her as just an interesting recurring character. Fluttershy was originally my favourite character, until I saw "Magic Duel". Don't get me wrong, I still adore Fluttershy and I relate to her the most, but Zecora is best pony now.

• Brohoof 1

Applejack and Rainbow Dash, big time. I loved Rarity from episode 1, but I didn't start warming up to AJ and RD until Season 2. Now I'm a super big fan of both. I think it took until that season for some of their more interesting/endearing traits to come out. I started liking Rainbow Dash with the "Double Dash" in Season 2, and I started liking Applejack with Hearth's Warming Eve and The Last Roundup.

Applejack became my favorite sometime between Season 2 and Season 3, and Rainbow Dash turned my second favorite with Sleepless In Ponyville.

I've mentioned that before, though. What I haven't talked about so much is how I've been warming up to Fluttershy through Season 3. Season 1 (especially Dragonshy) had convinced me that she was one dimensional and predictable, no surprises to be found. Season 2 had two epic Fluttershy episodes, but they didn't make me start liking the character too much until the newest season. Finally, they seem to be moving on beyond the HURR DURR DURR SHE'S SHY shtick, and instead focusing on traits like her kindness and wit. 

• Brohoof 2

Twilight. Look, I hated her in season 1. I admit it. I feel like such an idiot looking back at it, but before season 2 premiered she was at the bottom of my mane 6 ranking. 

I guess I found her bossiness annoying, or I thought that she was a Mary-Sue or something. I think I also thought it was annoying how she was shoe-horned into every single episode just to give the lesson at the end. 

Now that I'm a year and a half smarter, she's my second favorite pony. She's funny, relatable, sarcastic, adorkable, and NOT a Mary-Sue. Seeing her evolve throughout the seasons and seeing her get what she deserves in Magical Mystery Cure is, actually, a really endearing aspect of the show. I can't wait to see what they'll do with this development, but I bet she'll just be the same old Twilight that I've grow to love over seasons 2 and 3. 

Also, Celestia. She has so much backstory potential, and she's awesome. I overlooked this during the first two seasons, and I don't think I really appreciated her as much until season 3, particularly in the season premiere. Celestia's Ballad just proved her awesomeness even more. 

Edited by Rarietty
  • Brohoof 5

The two that has had to grow on me the most was Fluttershy and Celestia.

I didn't care for fluttershy that much because at first the timmedness annoyed me. She had her moments but She's gotten better since she let Iron Will uncork some of those penned up emotions

And Celestia. Well ill say this last episode made me like her a bit more... not much.. but some

But even saying all that there's not a character in this show that i hate. There all good in their own ways

I've mentioned that before, though. What I haven't talked about so much is how I've been warming up to Fluttershy through Season 3. Season 1 (especially Dragonshy) had convinced me that she was one dimensional and predictable, no surprises to be found. Season 2 had two epic Fluttershy episodes, but they didn't make me start liking the character too much until the newest season. Finally, they seem to be moving on beyond the HURR DURR DURR SHE'S SHY shtick, and instead focusing on traits like her kindness and wit.

Aw, and I thought my lovingly written posts were the reason you were warming up to Fluttershy. Even here, you women sure know how to burst my bubble. :PBTW: “OMG MY FAV PONE IS FLOOTERSHY” would not be an effective April Fools joke for you. Anybody who goes strictly by your body of work in these forums would guess that Fluttershy is your third favorite pony by now.

If you really want people to think Fluttershy is your least favorite pony, stop using her in your best posts and best PMVs.   Don't list favorite episodes which heavily involve her.  Put her down and cuss her out once in awhile. Stop acting like she grew significantly in your eyes after reading my TL;DR articles. By following these simple tips, people will start to believe your official 1 thru 6 favorite ranking. ;)

Now that I'm a year and a half smarter, she's my second favorite pony. She's funny, relatable, sarcastic, adorkable, and NOT a Mary-Sue. Seeing her evolve throughout the seasons and seeing her get what she deserves in Magical Mystery Cure is, actually, a really endearing aspect of the show. I can't wait to see what they'll do with this development, but I bet she'll just be the same old Twilight that I've grow to love over seasons 2 and 3. Also, Celestia.

Interesting.  Now that Twilight is an alicorn, you still don't think she's a Mary Sue? And even if she is, is being a Mary Sue all that bad? It doesn't seem to pose a problem for Wonder Woman. Or maybe being a Mary Sue is only an issue for female characters? I've never noticed similar complaints being hurled at Superman or Optimus Prime. While guys like that are cool, I find heroes with inner flaws like Batman and Wolverine to be more interesting overall.

I was also fascinated by Celestia. Watching her bow down to Twilight rubbed some people the wrong way. But it shouldn't. First, although she rules Equestria, she doesn't “rule it over” her people. Second, she's willing to bow to anybody who has rightfully earned that honor. I just kinda wish she showed that side of her earlier by bowing to the Mane 6 at the conclusion of either the series opener or Return to Harmony. Oh well, the fact that "she has a cutie mark of them" is still a nice tip of the cap.

Edited by Wingnut
  • Brohoof 1

The pony I overlooked out of the mane six was Rarity. At first I though she was your stereotypical fashionista. It wasn't until later episodeds that I saw what others saw in her.

Another pony I overlooked was CMC. I go to be honest I didn't know what to think about them at first. Only later on did I actually start to enjoy their episodeds.

Edited by Phoenix237

• 3 months later...

I definitely overlooked Rainbow Dash in the beginning. For quite a while, she just didn’t stand out to me. I don’t know why exactly, but I would say it was partially due we didn’t really see her true character highlighted until “Sonic Rainboom”, which was much later into the first season. But still then, she hadn’t yet become a favourite.

My fav Mane6 character first became Rarity, but after watching the programme for some time now, my fav has become Dash. Don’t know how it went that way exactly, I mean, she used to be my second least fav, but now has become my Best Pony. :)

I guess she really is just 20% cooler after all!

• Brohoof 1

• 7 months later...

I'm not sure if this thread exists already, but a quick search didn't bring anything up as far as I can tell *Shrugs*. So, which pony/ponies took the longest for you to warm up to? :wacko:

(The above was part of my, now merged, thread, so I figured it would be strange to keep it. It's there if anyone's curious though. :P)

For me, it was Rainbow Dash. For the longest time I didn't really like her that much, now that's not to say I disliked her, more like ... didn't care for her too much, I guess, mostly because of her attitude, I'm usually not the fondest of people who act like she does, depending on the person of course.

Eventually around the later portion of last year, I started to warm up to her a bit, partly because I had personally declared that there can be no 'worst pony' for me. She is still the lowest on my list, but I've grown to like her a decent bit more than I used to, besides, I think she can be pretty cute at times. :wub:

img-2245778-1-PjAGmp8.png

Edited by Sir Jackleberry
  • Brohoof 3

Definitely Pinkie Pie.  When I first got into the show she just annoyed me, but then I got into more Pinkie Pie episodes and realized she actually had a character beyond just running around and making noises that hurt my ears :P  After that I started to warm up to her and really like her now :D

• Brohoof 1