Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Megas

Are there any episodes that you didn't like or care for at first, but after watching it more and more, you started to like it?

- At first I didn't really care much about Baby Cakes and Family Appreciation Day, but after a couple more shots they slowly crept up my favorites list, with Baby Cakes being one of my favorite episodes of the season, though I guess the fact that I didn't like the other two Pinkie Pie episodes helped.

Likewise, are there any episodes that started to bug you more every time you watched it?

- For me, it was both Hearth's Warming Eve and Dragon Quest. With Hearth's Warming Eve, it made the canon's history even more confusing for me with the lack of the Princesses and other little things like the parts before the play irritated me. As for Dragon Quest, while I still don't think its as bad as everyone says it is and it had its moments, I still think it deserved the criticism it got. At first the dragons didn't bug me much, but when I watched it again I found them to be incredibly grating, and I felt very sorry for Spike, it felt like a great opportunity to expand on his origins, but now I don't know if they'll every try to explore it again

• Brohoof 4

One of the episodes I use to hate was Dragon Quest. So I thought I'll watch it again, and turns out it's one of my favorite episodes! Another is Too Many Pinkie Pies. I thought it was annoying at first, but turned out it was a classic in my mind.

There are really no episodes I don't like, but some I find annoying. One being Spike at your Service. I did not like the way the story was carried through, and the way the Timber Wolves were made.

Thanks and bro hoof /)

• Brohoof 3

Magical Mystery Cure when I first saw it, didn't really appeal to me. I gave it a 2nd try, I really did enjoy it even though it was rushed and basically the whole episode was songs. I did like the songs though.

• Brohoof 2

Honestly, there haven't been many episodes that have grown on me, and there haven't been any that have gotten worse for me, either.

I didn't like Magical Mystery Cure when I first watched it but the second time I watched it I wanted to throw my TV out the window.

• Brohoof 3

Ooh good question.

I guess it took a while for most CMC episodes to grow on me, particularly The Stare Master, Cutie Pox, and Family Appreciation Day, didn't like the CMC or those episodes much at first but eventually they did grow on me, the only CMC episode I'd still call bad at this point is Hearts and Hooves Day.

The episode that is the king of getting worse over time for me is It's About Time. I mean, I liked it when I first saw it, sure, but over time I just came to not like it at all, I can only take so much of seeing Twilight's idiocy in that one over and over. :o

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I used to think the CMC episodes were annoying as hell. That's possibly because I hadn't yet acclimated to the potent levels of HNNNG and DAAWW that the show radiates in a normal episode, let alone in a CMC one. It was just too much.

Now however, those are usually the funniest episodes for me. Also, Sweetie Belle is ADORABLE.

Baby Cakes is one of my favorite too. :)

The episode that is the king of getting worse over time for me is It's About Time. I mean, I liked it when I first saw it, sure, but over time I just came to not like it at all, I can only take so much of seeing Twilight's idiocy in that one over and over. :o

This is one that's only gotten better for me with age. I always thought her idiocy was due to severe sleep deprivation.

Edited by Circadian
  • Brohoof 2

I didn't really regard all the episodes specifically when I first started watching all of them. But, in the end, Winter Wrap Up, The Best Night Ever, and Sleepless In Ponyville (immediately became my favorite episode when I found out that it was Scoots' episode) are all my favorites.

I didn't mind Mare Do Well that much at first, but I don't really enjoy watching that episode anymore.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

The vast majority of the episodes grow on me after watching them. Seems like they're all pretty good on the first watch. And normally get better the second time when I notice stuff I didn't and understand the whole story.

I guess if I have to be specific I could always say "Suited for Sucess" however I technically never watched that episode on my first watch for a while, so I'm not sure if that counts.

If I had to pick one that got worse I'd say "Mysterious Mare Do Well" and I really don't personally dislike it all that much, but after watching some reviews and critique on it those opinions kinda shoved their way into my thoughts about this episode.

I'm not sure I can say a specific episode that stands out as growing on me though. All of them pretty much have to some degree.

Edited by Zygen
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Episodes that grew on me:

- Stare Master. The Crusaders are at their peak of being borderline annoying in this episode... or so I originally thought. Turns out I really enjoy this episode now whenever I watch it. The chicken joke always get me.

- The Showstoppers. Mostly because of Scootaloo's singing, but the more I watch the episode the more I wish I could hear that Crusader song with a good Scootaloo singing voice. This episode gave us a ton of insight on the talents of each Crusader. Definitely a highly amusing episode.

- A Dog and Pony Show. I HATE the voices of the Diamond Dogs, and Rarity's whining can be grating, but once you know to expect it, this episode is top notch.

- A Bird in the Hoof. Philomena took getting used to, but this episode is huge on the comedic scenes. The Benny Hill scene is priceless. It had me in tears laughing a few times I rewatched it.

- A Friend in Deed. The more I watch this episode, the more I appreciate Pinkie and the more I like that Cranky Doodle Donkey.

- Putting Your Hoof Down. I started to appreciate this episode seeing as it's the only episode dedicated entirely to the more feminine half of the Mane Six. And Iron Will sounds like Hercule from DBZ, and that's always amusing.

- It's About Time. It was my least favorite episode of all time, but I recently watched it again, and while it's far from a favorite of mine, it was good old Twilight Sparkle at her best. Fun episode

- MMMstery on the Friendship Express. I found this episode boring the first time, but the second time I watched it, I had a lot of laughs with it.

- Games Ponies Play. I gave this episode a hard time initially, but when I rewatched it I liked better. It's hard to say why.

Episode that I don't enjoy as much anymore:

- Boast Busters. I loved it the first time. Trixie is cool and all, but Snips and Snails being obnoxious isn't. This episode is just not my cup of tea.

- Luna Eclipsed. This is a fan favorite season 2 episode, but I never was impressed with it. And every time I try to give it another watch, I find myself more bored with it than before. Luna's royal voice is grating, Fluttershy is awkwardly portrayed, Rarity is MIA, and it just wasn't very humorous. Not bad by any stretch, just not very exciting.

- Family Appreciation Day. This episode is not bad, but it's not a kind of episode that warrants more than one or two rewatches. The humor is dry, and once you know Granny's tale, there's little reason to keep watching it again and again.

Edited by Sugar Cube
  • Brohoof 1

The first two episodes, "Friendship is Magic: Parts 1 and 2" definitely have grown on me upon further viewings; not that I ever disliked them, mind you, oh no, not at all.  After my first viewing, those two episodes seemed kinda weak compared to following episodes in Season 1; however, upon further viewings, I came to realize that both are excellent series openers that do a lot to establish the plot, setting, and characters themselves, and now have a much greater appreciation for both (plus, Part 2 has Steve Magnet in it, so it's automatically amazing!!!  B) ).

As for an episode that's really just gotten worse in my eyes, it's probably the only episode of the series that I really have no particular fondness for, "Mystery on the Friendship Express".  As I've said before, the episode is the ultimate filler episode, has some really strange pacing, and a very confusing and uncompelling conflict and lesson on friendship that doesn't seem all that important throughout.  Heck, "Just for Sidekicks" and "Games Ponies Play" were unabashedly filler episodes, but at least I was invested in the conflicts in both of those, and it was interesting seeing how and where they overlapped; "Mystery on the Friendship Express" has simply gotten more and more lackluster for me upon further viewings, and is by far my least favorite episode of the series as a whole.

(edited)

What episode grew on me?

A Dog and Pony Show:

When I first saw it I thought it was okay. After several views the episode started to grow on me for some reason.

What episode got worse?

Boast Busters:

When I first saw it I thought it was alright. After watching I again I started to feel that it was my least favorite. My dislike for this episode has nothing to do with Trixie. Okay Snips and Snals are annoying and where presented in this episode. The ending with the mustaches, I mean what was that suppose to prove? Look I k ow that Trixie is popular among some in our fandom, but she could have had a better episode that introduced her.

Edited by Phoenix237

I'd say Magical Mystery Cure as it was kind of a disappointment to me at first, but watching it again and looking at the bright side of the episode, I really liked it. There were plenty of songs which should give the brony musicians a lot of remixes, and for a 22 minute episode they sort of made the story work. I mean sure it would of been better as a 2-3 parter but what can you do? They only had space for one more episode and they had to make the season finale something special, and that episode sure was special.

Magical Mystery Cure has definitely grown on me. At first I was like "Wait, what? It's over already? Just like that?" but I've watched it about ten times since then and I love it more each time. I love the songs, I am a fan of the new possibilities that Twilicorn brings. I still wish it were spread across 2 or 3 episodes but only because I enjoy it so much now!

Three off the top of my head that have grown on me:

The Mysterious Mare Do Well: I used to only mildly enjoy it, but defending it so much on the forums has really gotten me to look more deeply into what I liked about it. Now it's my favorite pure RD episode.

Griffon The Brush Off: I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the pre-Gilda parts, which compromise a much larger portion of the episode than I remembered, and was less boring.

Sisterhooves Social: I disliked this one when it premiered because I felt like it was biased against Rarity. Now I see that Sweetie Belle was pretty irritating and selfish in her own right, which made it overall more palatable. 

And one that did the reverse:

The Return Of Harmony Part 2: I liked how it broke down Twilight, but I'm starting to get sick of the traits in her that were introduced in this two parter, and it wasn't really the only episode to do this. More impressive at the time, I suppose.

• Brohoof 1

I really didn't like Magic Duel. But Trixie... I mean c'mon you gotta love the "Great and Apologetic Trixie". I noticed that Scootaloo was the only CMC without an episode so I was really looking forward to Sleepless in Ponyville and that was the ep that really grew on me. I used to have nightmares and I had an "idol worship" phase. I related to Scoots so much it was crazy. I am an only child too. Plus we got more WOONA!

I am a very opinionated person and I don't think that any episode has gotten worse for me. If I don't like it the first time I see it, I probably won't like the same episode when I rewatch it.

Favorite Episodes would have to be To Many Pinkie Pies, and Party of One.

Pinkie Pie was so funny with the cotest of watching paint dry. It also made me feels when Pinkie felt alone because I could relate a similar situation to my own life (Feeling lonely and depressed) Doesn't happen 2often anymore though.

Got better? The Stare Master. I didn't like either of the CMC episodes at first, but I really enjoyed when I watched it after season 2. (The Show Stoppers didn't fare so well, however.)

Got worse? Magical Mystery Cure. Didn't like it the first time, but I absolutely hated it the second time.

Pretty much every CMC episode, especially Sleepless in Ponyville. I remember when I used to shudder at the mere thought of a CMC episode, and Sleepless was my main contender for the worst episode of S3 for a while.

I still find Scootaloo to be pretty annoying in Sleepless, but upon watching it again, I think there's definitely some great character development in there, Scoot and Dash becoming sisters opens up whole new worlds of possibilities for the characters, and the writers were actually pretty inventive in their storytelling.

For instance, one scene that I love in that episode is where Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom are frightened by one of Dash's stories, scream, and turn to hug their big sisters, whie Scootaloo sat alone. I was even impressed by that scene even on my first viewing, and re-watching the episode makes me appreciate it even more. I guess I can't really condemn an episode for having one annoying character, when the storytelling and character development are nothing short of groundbreaking for the series.

Really, upon reflection, Sleepless is probably one of the best CMC episodes, only being beaten by the phenomenal Sisterhooves Social. That's how much that episode grew on me after only one repeat viewing.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Mysterious Mare-Do-Well only got worse for me. First tie I watched it I was like "That was all right" .. But the more I looked into it.. The more I absolutely hate how broken it's message is. Characters are needlessly cruel in this episode. Rainbow Dash' minor egotism exploded into full-blown self-idolization. When you really break down it's ending, the other five ponies seem downright mean-spirited in their manipulation of RD.

Look before you Sleep is another episode that got worse though not as bad as Mare-do-Well. It's not terrible but it's awfully drab in it's pacing and humor. I'm fine letting a scene breathe but this episode needs more energy. Applebuck Season was the first great episode, and this ep felt like a step back.

Episodes that got Better.. Hmm. Sweet and Elite is one I felt pretty underwhelmed by at first and now I love it. Has a lot of great Rarity moments and Twilight's very vanilla dancing style was pretty cute.

Edited by Jammo

For the most part, the episodes I liked straight off the bat, I still like. This applies to the ones I disliked straight away too.

The only ones that I can really think of which grew on me greatly after re-watches would be CMC centric episodes. Never really liked them at the beginning. This might also be true with Rarity episodes but that's all because I grew to appreciate the character as time went on making her episodes much more appealing on repeated viewings.

As for episodes that got worse on repeat...Baby Cakes and Over a Barrel. Granted I didn't much like them on first viewing but I still found them somewhat entertaining. After watching several times, these are the only two episodes I can safely say I'll definitely skip now. Spike episodes may have a place in this section ;)

As for an actually episode that I really enjoyed on first viewing that went downhill on repeat, I'd go with It's about time. Rather boring after a while.

Usually when I first see an episode, my opinion of it doesn't change significantly later. There are two notable exceptions:

Episode that grew: A Friend in Deed

At first it glance it was too reminiscent of girly '80s cartoons. A pink, main character trying to save somebody from being unhappy and lonely. And the Smile Song seemed unusually saccharine for this series. Pinkie's sole purpose in life is to make others smile, huh? It was so cringe inducing that I had to stop and finish watching it another time.

But luckily I did go back to finish it. Cranky basically had nothing left to live for. Pinkie Pie's laughter, kindness, and endless enthusiasm are usually enough to bring anybody out of a serious funk. Not this time, but she didn't give up. By carefully sorting through the mementos Cranky was dragging around, Pinkie found the solution. By reuniting him with Matilda, Cranky rediscovered the sense of purpose and joy that makes life worth living. He was suddenly a new man. Pinkie Pie has so many great and unusual gifts. But her greatest gift of all is her ability to bring out the best in others. A Friend in Deed is a testament to that. BTW: Even the Smile Song has grown on me.

Episode that got worse: Spike at your Service

I wasn't impressed with this episode when I first watched it. I could understand Spike sucking at farm chores as he's unaccustomed to that kind of labor. But to also mess up at the kind of domestic tasks that he's been doing in the library for years? That made no sense. I also thought about all the other times Spike had his scaly butt saved by one pony or another. Where did this dragon code come from? Did he recently learn about it? It was already below average in my eyes. Could my view of it get any worse? Yes.

I started talking about it in MLP forums. A whole slew of additional shortcomings in this episode were brought to my attention. Thanks a lot guys. This might be the only MLP episode I have no interest in watching again.

• Brohoof 2

Probably the closest that comes to mind is Keep Calm and Flutter On, as far as episodes that "grew on me". Now it's not that I like the episode now,in fact i still don't like it, but on my second viewing I was able to sort out what I thought were flaws in the actual episode itself versus what were a result of my initial biases regarding the character of Discord and how I interpreted him.  I still think the episode is flawed in its pacing and it didn't set up his reformation properly, but it wasn't the absolute rage inducing episode that I initially found it to be.