Which is worse: guns or knives?

Thundershock

Knives or guns-which is worse?  

76 users have voted

1. 1. Which one is worse?

• Guns.
    • Knives.
    • They're both horrible.

Okay, this question isn't  specific enough. It's asking which one is worse. Worse at what? Killing and maiming things, design, function, it could be anything. Going off of everyone's response, I'm guessing it's killing and maiming. So, my opinion is, they're both very good at that job. Guns, have a farther range, more power, but they're loud and attract attention. Now people say silencers can quiet the gun, this is partially true, but first of all it's a suppressor. Suppressors, only quiet the gun to a certain extent, they can still be quite loud, depending on the gun. As for the knife, it's messy, short range, but it's silent, and more easy to get a hold of. 

I also saw that someone said if you were shot with a PP7, it wouldn't be as bad as a revolver. I'm sorry to the person who said that, but please know what you are talking about before you post it. A PP7, is a small, compact, semi-automatic, pistol, that fires a 9MM bullet.

The term, "revolver," comes from  the action the gun uses to chamber its bullets. Most revolvers, do use a larger caliber bullet than a semi-automatic, I'll give you that, but some revolvers do fire a small caliber. But, that's not the point, the point is, most of the people posting here, don't really know what they're talking about. As a hunter, I have been taught how to properly and safely use guns as I hold a non-restricted gun licence. There are many other mistakes people posted here, but it'd take forever to go over them all. 

And my final statement, I'd rather be shot, than stabbed, though some guns would hurt more than stabs, depending on where you get shot, or stabbed. But a gun,in most cases, hurts less, more swift death than a stab.

People also said, the metal could give you poisoning. That is a good point, BUT, (there's always a but) it depends on the bullet. If the bullet has a full metal jacket, meaning instead of being completely made of lead, there is a brass or other metal coating on the outside, and as far as I know brass isn't poisonous.

Guns, because you can't easily evade a bullet.  Guns also have a much longer range then knives.  Though I guess it also depends on where your shot or stabbed. 

You cannot easily evade a bullet. Let's take the semi-automatic 9mm pistol, the Beretta M9, and say someone shot at you with it.

The bullet fired from a M9, travels at 281 meters, or 1250 feet, per second, you're not gonna dodge that bullet. Simple science.

Edited by Dusty Dasher
  • Brohoof 1

You cannot easily evade a bullet. Let's take the semi-automatic 9mm pistol, the Beretta M9, and say someone shot at you with it.

The bullet fired from a M9, travels at 281 meters, or 1250 feet, per second, you're not gonna dodge that bullet. Simple science.

I think what they meant was at close range. For example if someone were to try to mug you, it would be a lot easier to avoid a knife being swung than a gun being shot, logically. One can only stab as far as the arm can reach; if they were to throw the knife, it would be a different matter which I don't know much about. A gun can be used up to a lot further as of the bullet being able to travel a lot futher depending on the gun.

A gun is a more efficient killing tool but it also implies your killer is afraid to get to close.

A knife might not be as effective but the intent of murder is much higher if some is willing to get into close-quarters to end your life.

Depends on pain or killing power.

Killing power, guns.Pain, knives can do much more. Carving/gouging into your arm with any sharp object really hurts, and I know this fro m experience. A gun will usually put you into shock (which can kill you anyway) even if you are hit in a non-lethal place like the legs. A gunshot wound is painful, but not as painful as a jagged, serrated, rusty blade being dragged along your chest.

All in all, guns are more dangerous but knives are more painful. Oh yeah, and what Malinter said about a killer being much more ruthless if he is planning on gutting you instead of a nice clean gunshot.

EDIT: Personally, I would love to have a go at gutting someone and shooting someone to see the difference. Any volunteers?

Edited by Not Mike Jones

Knives are better by far.

They have the added advantage of being useful for more things than just killing. :3

Edited by Klopp

From a victim's perspective, I guess? Either way my answer would be knives. Knives kill much slower because it could take 10 stab wounds (at least) to kill somepony. Guns can simply kill in about 2 or 3 shots, in lower calibers and maybe .410's. In higher calibers and gauges, there is a great chance of a 1 shot kill.

From a gun nuts perspective, a knife still. For nearly the same reason. The range of, for example, an M1A rifle is at least 500m longer than a THROWN knife. It also travels at a much faster velocity. Guns are also way cooler.

Edited by Twilight Sniper

I side on the pole with guns being worse simply because Guns were designed to Kill and that's about it. a Knife can also be a tool.

I am a firm believer that is the person behind the weapon not the weapon itself. you can get shot with a 22 plenty of times and not die.

I think what they meant was at close range. For example if someone were to try to mug you, it would be a lot easier to avoid a knife being swung than a gun being shot, logically. One can only stab as far as the arm can reach; if they were to throw the knife, it would be a different matter which I don't know much about. A gun can be used up to a lot further as of the bullet being able to travel a lot futher depending on the gun.

I see your point there, but with a knife you can jump backwards or to the side if it's swung. But with a gun, if you jump away, you get shot. Though if it comes down to 2 people with both their hands on the weapon, they're both equally dangerous. With 2 people fighting over the knife, one can easily turn it and thrust, or kick their opponent, to which they may let go of the knife. Same with the gun, overpower your opponent, turn it and shoot, even if it only maims them, they'll still let go.

The worst one in my opinion is people. That's not an option, but I don't care. The only way one of these two things are dangerous is if they fall into the hands of people who wish to cause harm. If that isn't good enough for you, then both are dangerous.

Edited by SmartyPants
  • Brohoof 1

The worst one in my opinion is people. That's not an option, but I don't care. The only way one of these two things are dangerous is if they fall into the hands of people who wish to cause harm. If that isn't good enough for you, then both are dangerous.

This. Guns and knives don't kill people, people kill people.

Edited by Twilight Sniper
  • Brohoof 1

Depends on the type of gun/knife. If your getting hit by a water gun or toy knife, you'll live unless your that witch from the wizard of oz or like a gingerbread man.

In all seriousness though,a gun would be a lot worse.

Edited by ~Masochistic Luna~

From the attacker's point of view:

Guns: Pros-Can maim or kill quickly, close up and from a distance.

Cons-make more noise, single purpose, limited uses, harder to ignore, more forensic evidence (GSR, the bullet itself, etc.)

Knives: Pros-Quite, multi-purpose, less forensic evidence, no reloading, easier to care for

Cons- Easier to counter, more blood, easy to conceal

From the defender's point of view:

Guns: Pros- limited uses, draw attention

Cons- deeper wounds, harder to counter (more range, higher speed)

Knives- Pros- easier to counter, less depth

Cons- wounds have more surface area, harder to detect, easy to ignore

In general:

Each has pros and cons in a combat situation. The threat level is dependent on the training of all parties involved. Ceteris paribus, I would rather face an opponent who was armed with a knife than one who is armed with a gun. On the other hand, I would prefer facing an idiot with a gun in my face than an experienced martial artist with a knife. Overall, I prefer knives to guns in general because they are more versatile. A gun is pretty much useless unless you want to hurt or kill someone.

I don't think the question was worded well, 08 at least should have been elaborated on further.

What is "worse"? I'm going to assume you meant "which one does more damage?" In that case I would say guns because they have a greater range and can deliver a leathal Attack faster and more accurately.

But I don't think one is "worse" than the other. It all depends on whose hands either one is in. In one man's hands a knife could be a deadly weapon while a gun in another man's hands is completely safe and used only as a tool.

One weapon is not "worse" than the other unless they are in the hands of an individual who intends to cause harm.

ignoring the obvious "guns are bad, ewwwww ban them all!" crap and keeping things on topic!

ok....after much much much reading on this thread i have to say that the world at large seems abit....miseducated...on firearms ingeneral. not saying i know more than everyone else, not saying everyone else is dumb, so lets get all that mess out of the way. what i will say is that in the 9 years that i have been legally allowed to purchase firearms, i have done so with gusto! i also reload my own ammuntion and cast my own bullets for my handguns and spend atleast 2 days at my local gun club shooting every week. i have years of research on different rounds and there terminal effects on soft tissue and varying effects at distance weather it be fmj, hp, hpbt, vldhpbt, balistic tip,ect.... i dont care to think of the amount of rounds i have shot, at one point it was nearing 1000 rounds per 2 weeks when i was training up to compete in uspsa. after all that i can safely say that THEY WOULD BOTH SUCK TO BE ATTACKED WITH!!! KNIVES HURT! BULLETS HURT! THEY ALL BUCKING HURT!

so with that being said, lets talk damage and damage relitive to energy used.

when me and my friends engage in the great caliber debate (9mm v 45acp) the same thing gets said at one point or another " getting shot with a 9mm is like getting hit by a geo tracker running 90mph and getting shot with a 45 is like being hit by a tractor trailor going 45mph......they both would suck!)

all that being said, and disregarding shot placement, death via knife wound would be worse. if your are stabed you have less of a chance of your body going into shock right away and you will slowly bleed out. not saying your body wont go into shock, there is just less of a chance is what im saying. with a gun, disregarding caliber and shot placement, your body will go into shock fast but this is not a promiss, you can still die a horrid death via sucking chest wound.

i give the gun the nod as more tactially sound mode of killing, distance is your friend here, and a 230 hornady xtp +p rolling out at 950 fps hits with almost 460 ftbl of energy in a .45 inch area, causing said bullet to peal back or "mushrooming" as it enters the body, ripping and tearing its way though! not to mention the shock cavaity that it creates causing massive trauma and shock to surounding tissue.

video...

this is a 200 grain 45acp +P ballistics gell test, note how the bullet mushrooms out, tearing, cutting and forcing the tissue apart causing massive damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8XqAMn4Wqo

all of this leads up to increased recovery time if not death resulting from trauma and all of that from the simple squeez of a trigger verses the use of energy to stab or hack at someone. now if suprise be needed the knife dose come into its own but the gun can counter with use of a silencer. and buy using a 45 acp (mah favi) , a round that travels below the speed of sound, you can effectivly dispach someone quickly and scilently!

i think this sums up what im trying to say with all these facts and numbers and words...

all that being said, i carry a gun and a knife every single day of my life. im a Handgun Carry Permit holder ( in tennessee we dont have to conceal carry if we dont want)and have been for 5 years, had more training then i ever care to remember and love guns! its my first line of defense and i wont hesitate to protect my family ( wife and son ) at the drop of a hat if need be. i will go well out of my way to avoid such things at all costs but the day i got my HCP i was taught to have the sheepdog mentality and at the time that was great but now i feel more that im protecting the heard rather than protecting the flock! woohoo bronies with guns!

Edited by Lucid Sketch
  • Brohoof 1

I'd say knives are worst because if you get stabbed, your death will probably be extremely painful. Guns on the other hand, it would be an insta-death and you wouldn't feel a thing.

• 4 weeks later...

Depends on who you're up against, if you were against me in a knife fight you'd wish it was a gun.

Both are equal when it comes to killing, a gun obviously has an advantage but not really. So I'd say they're equal but always keep it behind your ear that it's the person that kills not the weapon so I wouldn't judge either.

Simple. Both.

Knives hurt more, and can be more lethal than guns. Guns and Knives can do instant kills, but guns kill faster than knives do.

Barret 50 Cal Sniper Rifle made by the United States is an extremely lethal weapon. Used in the US Military to snipe the bad guys.

The US Soldier who was the best sniper in the Army that was killed used a Barret 50 cal. Most powerful sniper ever seen. Always a one hit kill.

There's a documentary about it that you could find on youtube somewhere. 

Certain blade weapons that the Japs used like the Katana or Samarai swords are extremely leathal, specially in the hands of Asians. 

My honest opinion, it always depends on the weapon, but even the smallest of things can be deadly, like a tiny bomb or a grenade..

Just my input.