Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which instrument to play?

Wallroux

I'd base my suggestions less on what sound I'm going for and more on practicality. In my case, I suck at playing instruments. I tried playing the violin and got nothing but a horrible screeching sound out of it. It was nice for getting rid of unwanted guests, but that's probably not what you're going for here.

I'd suggest something that takes less of a 'touch'. For example, playing a piano requires that you press a key to make a nice sound, and if you learn to play it well, it'll make many beautiful sounds. But a violin requires a gentle and highly intuitive touch to make a sound that resembles anything like actual music instead of an unearthly caterwaul. Woodwinds and brass take a lot of lung to produce a good sound, so that could be tough to do too.  

If it were up to me, I'd go with piano, for its versatility and straightforward readiness to produce agreeable melodies. I'm not saying it would be easy. No instrument on earth is unless you have some amazing natural gifts, but it would be worth the journey to try it. 

• Brohoof 1

I played recorder, mouth organ and guitar. Yes, I like folk music ^.^

I stoped because there's a lot of other stuff what I would like to spend my time to.

What I would advice is keyboard instruments. Yes, like Rarity! XD

Because keyboard represents diatonic notation as is by itself. It's very handy.

fc25af2793286495435ff14e40be48c7.gif

Edited by Crypty
  • Brohoof 1

The best instrument to start out with would be the piano. Take it from someone who has been playing since age 7 and whose part time job is to teach piano to young children. Just like picking up any new activity, it will be hard and frustrating at first, but with enough practice you'll be playing like a pro in no time. It's going to take a lot of hard work, dedication, and sweat but it will all be worth it in the end  :D

• 3 years later...
On 4/2/2013 at 8:33 PM, Wallroux said:

Thanks for your answers!

If you haven't found an instrument by now, then what have you done the last 7 years?

I recommend piano, it is versatile. *pretends to know what versatile means :)*

• 2 weeks later...

I used to play the drums in highschool! I loved beating the heck outta that thing especially during the Czech festival parade! 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can play the trombone and euphonium (when I don’t have braces). Also a very small amount of guitar. Again, hard with the hooves :adorkable: .

Maybe it's just me being biased but clarinet is a good instrument to play!  Though I'm curious to see what the op went with after all this time...

Anyways, I used to play the clarinet until neighbours started to complain, so I stopped playing it, I still have mine but it needs a new reed since the ones in the case must be 10-ish years old and I ain't wetting reeds of that age.  I think I've had the same clarinet since middle school?  My mom bought me one after I finished a year from a music store that unfortunately closed 12 years ago or something.  Haven't been to the area in a while.