Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Dentist

Concord

Hello!

Meet, the Dentist.

tim-halloween.jpg

Now, i'm pretty sure most of us have visited the Dentist at least once in our lifetime. We all know the experience of having to nervously wait for your turn to sit in the chair, and I don't believe there is anyone, who wasn't scared just a little bit of this man with his scary tools. laugh.png

Some people are just CrAzY about their dental health, and some just don't care about it at all. Some people brush their teeth 2 - 3 - 4 times a day, and others will be surprised if they end up brushing their teeth at least once or twice a week. This just shows, that this is a very wide topic to discuss about, and that there are many different opinions to be heard. I believe it would be a great idea to discuss them here! smile.png

My last few visits inspired me to create this thread, because i was interested in what kind of experiences, the members of this forum, have had with dentists. I've searched the general discussion forum page and i didn't find a thread that covered this topic, so i thought i'd make my own tongue.png .

So... Are you scared of going to the Dentist? Is dental health important to you? What kind of procedures have you underwent?

Anything related to teeth fits this thread. So, let's begin! I'm eagar to read about your opinions and experiences! wink.png

• Brohoof 1

I am concerned about dental health, though sometimes it may not seem that way.

When I was young, dental hygiene was the least of my priorities. However, I've been getting my act together over the years. One of the things that tends to happen when I go to the dentist, is that I feel like he is judging me (I just feel like I get judged by everyone :|, just that kind of person :\). I have never had braces, or any other form of corrective surgery/procedure (as the dentist says I don't really need 'em, but to me....I DO), though I do plan on having some form of it later on when I can afford it.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not too crazy about my dental health, it's too time consuming. The dentists really expect me to have 6 minutes of my day to spare? Pffft, dentist please

Otherwise, the dentist isn't really that scary, but don't expect to get praise from one because of your dental health, they always find something to nitpick about

• Brohoof 2

I had two get two fillings yesterday, actually (As well as a cleaning because why not?). They used too much of the freezing thingy (Stupid brain wont remind me what it's called), and my cheek stayed numb for 5 hours, when it should have only been 1. -.-' Oh, and it hurt, cos they didn't apply it in the right place... :D

• Brohoof 1

When I was younger I would hide in the bathroom when it was time to go to the dentist.

Now I couldn't care less...there is always a little part of me that is worried I am going to have to get crazy mouth surgery or something...but that usually doesn't happen.

Now on to my teeth...I was born really really lucky. I have never had a cavity, I have never had to get any surgery kinda stuff...all I have gotten that isn't a cleaning would be...My back molars were really deep so they had to fill the extra space with this weird plastic stuff so food didn't get stuck down in my teeth.

I brush once or twice a day...If I brush once I am probably just lazy...and if I don't brush at all...I have a headache, I'm not feeling well, or I've already gotten into bed and I don't feel like getting up again.

And that would be it. I have pretty great teeth...no problems cool.png laugh.png

• Brohoof 1

I had two get two fillings yesterday, actually (As well as a cleaning because why not?). They used too much of the freezing thingy (Stupid brain wont remind me what it's called), and my cheek stayed numb for 5 hours, when it should have only been 1. -.-' Oh, and it hurt, cos they didn't apply it in the right place... biggrin.png

Probably talking about Novocaine right?

I've had the same thing happen to me once, had to get numbed for one tooth, ended up being numb for ~5/6 hours. I also once had an incident where they numbed the wrong side (numbed the bottom right instead of the top right), so not only did I have to endure 2 needles, not entirely afraid of 'em...just don't really like 'em, but when they did the top, they went in RIGHT THROUGH THE ENTRANCE TO THE GUMS! I can still feel the awkwardness of a needle going in there and it was horrible.

Edited by Lugia
  • Brohoof 2

I am deathly terrified of dentists, I do not trust them and I refuse to go. i haven't seen one in maybe 12 years? I do floss, brush my teeth, and use mouth wash every day though. I never had any tooth issues such as pain or sensitive towards teperatures.

There is one time i remember going because I had no choice. i had a tooth gowing in the roof of my mouth. and it was basically a fang, and curved towards my front teeth. If i didn't have it removed it would of ghrown through my 2 front teeth apparently. The dentist i saw never saw anything like it. That worried me.

They tried numbing my mouth so it wouldn't hurt. And then promised  i wouldn't feel a thing. It failed. It was the most painful thing, impaling my mouth with a spiked tool to pry my fang out. As a child i felt lied to and since then I NEVER have visited the dentist.

• Brohoof 2

I take pretty good care of my teeth, but I visiting the dentist is probably my biggest irrational fear. Something about people doing things inside my mouth has always scared the heck out of me, even though I don't think I've ever really had a bad experience in a dentist's office. I wish I understood why.

• Brohoof 1

I take pretty good care of my teeth, but I visiting the dentist is probably my biggest irrational fear. Something about people doing things inside my mouth has always scared the heck out of me, even though I don't think I've ever really had a bad experience in a dentist's office. I wish I understood why.

probably because you have no control once they begin their work. You have to sit there and let them do thier stuff in your mouth, which you can't see. You can feel the scraping, and the HORRIBLE sound it makes....

That is it for my example, this is making my hair stand on edge just thinking about the scraping tools...

• Brohoof 1

probably because you have no control once they begin their work. You have to sit there and let them do thier stuff in your mouth, which you can't see. You can feel the scraping, and the HORRIBLE sound it makes....

That is it for my example, this is making my hair stand on edge just thinking about the scraping tools...

The one noise I cannot stand, is the sound of the high-pitched drill they use when doing things like cavities. Whenever I hear it, it feels like they drilling away at my molars and sends a slight hypnosis-induced pain through my mouth...I hate the fact that I'm easily hypnotized...too many problems it causes ._.

For the most part going to the dentist is a minor inconvenience for me, I tend to take good care of my teeth so I rarely have any major problems. What really sucked though was when I had to get my wisdom teeth pulled almost two years ago, it wasn't so much the pain as the pain from the various knee injuries I got at work were far far worse than the pain from having my wisdom teeth pulled.

It was the fact that I couldn't eat any solid foods for a couple of days, no matter how much I ate I was still hungry my first day back to work I was so weak that I almost passed out.I have to admit I never saw that coming, you would think with how big my mouth is that a few extra chompers would be no problem but I guess life has an interesting sense of humor.

Hello again!

I am concerned about dental health, though sometimes it may not seem that way.

When I was young, dental hygiene was the least of my priorities. However, I've been getting my act together over the years. One of the things that tends to happen when I go to the dentist, is that I feel like he is judging me (I just feel like I get judged by everyone :|, just that kind of person :). I have never had braces, or any other form of corrective surgery/procedure (as the dentist says I don't really need 'em, but to me....I DO), though I do plan on having some form of it later on when I can afford it.

To be honest, i am a little concerned about my dental health aswell. I'm mostly concerned about the fact on how to keep my teeth white! I remmember trying to brush 4 times a day just to whiten my teeth. laugh.png

I never wore braces or anything because of the expense... I understand myself that if i were to wear them i would have a much nicer smile...

I'm not too crazy about my dental health, it's too time consuming. The dentists really expect me to have 6 minutes of my day to spare? Pffft, dentist please

Otherwise, the dentist isn't really that scary, but don't expect to get praise from one because of your dental health, they always find something to nitpick about

Not sure if Sarcasm or for real... huh.png

laugh.png 6 Minutes isn't that much if you think about it. Sometimes a person can spend 6 hours doing worthless things on a computer. biggrin.png

When I was younger I would hide in the bathroom when it was time to go to the dentist.

Now I couldn't care less...there is always a little part of me that is worried I am going to have to get crazy mouth surgery or something...but that usually doesn't happen.

Now on to my teeth...I was born really really lucky. I have never had a cavity, I have never had to get any surgery kinda stuff...all I have gotten that isn't a cleaning would be...My back molars were really deep so they had to fill the extra space with this weird plastic stuff so food didn't get stuck down in my teeth.

I brush once or twice a day...If I brush once I am probably just lazy...and if I don't brush at all...I have a headache, I'm not feeling well, or I've already gotten into bed and I don't feel like getting up again.

And that would be it. I have pretty great teeth...no problems img-1358044-1-cool.png img-1358044-2-laugh.png

Haha! The bathroom! Classic! happy.png

Well, you and me share similar chracteristics when it comes to brushing schedules! There will never be a morning where i don't brush my teeth. The reason for that would be School. tongue.png It's rare, but i also sometimes just skip on evenings. Maybe once every 2 weeks.

I am deathly terrified of dentists, I do not trust them and I refuse to go. i haven't seen one in maybe 12 years? I do floss, brush my teeth, and use mouth wash every day though. I never had any tooth issues such as pain or sensitive towards teperatures.

There is one time i remember going because I had no choice. i had a tooth gowing in the roof of my mouth. and it was basically a fang, and curved towards my front teeth. If i didn't have it removed it would of ghrown through my 2 front teeth apparently. The dentist i saw never saw anything like it. That worried me.

They tried numbing my mouth so it wouldn't hurt. And then promised  i wouldn't feel a thing. It failed. It was the most painful thing, impaling my mouth with a spiked tool to pry my fang out. As a child i felt lied to and since then I NEVER have visited the dentist.

Oh my! The complications you had with that "Fang tooth" sounds just horrible. ohmy.png I also had a tooth which began to grow in a place it shouldn't, gladly, we removed the tooth that was blocking it. I am still horrified of dentists to this day aswell... Not as much as when i was younger, but still horrified... blush.png

I remmember we had to take a tooth out when i was 6 years old. I was so scared that i refused to open my mouth for 20 minutes laugh.png . The doctor finally convinced me after he gave me like 8 lolipops. tongue.png

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

All my life I've had dental problems. Runs in the family. My grandfather had all of his teeth removed in his 20s because he couldn't maintain them and dental practices weren't as advanced as they are today. Fortunately I haven't gotten to that point, but I've had plenty of visits to the dentist in my day. When I was little, not even 10 years-old, I had to have several teeth removed due to overcrowding so that the others that had yet to come in would fit properly. I don't know how many fillings I've had done, and I've had 3 root canal operations that I can recall. One of those root canals was prompted by a very painful infection. Due to the infection my dentist was unable to numb the area, so I was forced to endure all of the pain.

Mouth pain is the one type of pain that I've never had a high tolerance for. Anything else is fine, but when something hurts in my mouth, it's debilitating. Going to the dentist used to unnerve me, but after that one, horrid root canal mentioned above, my tolerance for mouth pain has increased and I'm not at all bothered by the prospect of going to the dentist anymore. Hard to imagine things getting any worse than that particular escapade.

I had two get two fillings yesterday, actually (As well as a cleaning because why not?). They used too much of the freezing thingy (Stupid brain wont remind me what it's called), and my cheek stayed numb for 5 hours, when it should have only been 1. -.-' Oh, and it hurt, cos they didn't apply it in the right place... biggrin.png

Novocaine (or any anesthetic) doesn't seem to work as well on me as it does most people and it wears more quickly. They always overkill my dosage now just to play it safe.

Edited by Artemis

funny-django-waltz-gif.gif

Seriously though, I've always liked my dentist. Recently had my wisdom teeth out which was one of the more painful experiences in my life, but I've never minded going. Plus, braces. World's most awesome accessories.

• Brohoof 3

• 1 month later...

I'm actually good friends with my dentist, and he is alright. Though when he gives shots, he buries the shot as far as he can, than twists it to get it far in the vein, and I'm not going to lie, it really hurts. I just tough up though and get it done. I think of it just as another life duty. 

• 4 months later...

I've only had two cavities in my life. Usually when I go to the dentist, I get a good report. I have gotten several watches though, but overall, it's good

As far as going to the dentist, I used to be one scared child. I was so scared, nurses had to hold me down to get the brush in my mouth as I was screaming. Ugh, those days are gone thank God. Now, I don't even give a flying feather about it. Sometimes, the dentist makes the brush slip onto my gum which actually tickles. 

I have been to the dentist a few times. The first time was to get a tooth pulled, the second was a checkup and to get my teeth cleaned (very convenient), and the third time was for a filling. I'd say the worst part is those needles. I feel so nervous about that and don't want to go through it again. sad.png

Edited by SmartyPants

I used to be afraid of the dentist when I was a kid and still am a little. But not nearly as scared as I used to be.

I care a lot about my teeth, so for me dental health is important. I can't say that I have ever had some major procedures, fillings, molars removed and some teeth from when I was younger. I sometimes go through the procedures without anesthesia but I prefer the other though.

I'm not scared of it at all, it's just kind of a bothersome thing to me.  I do like to make sure my teeth are good but I think it's a waste of time that they have to brush them for you.  I recently got my wisdom teeth pulled out, and was nervous when I had to sit there and wait for them to call me in.  When they did, I had to wait in the seat for the dentist to come in and give me the IV or whatever they called it.  It's weird how fast you fall asleep. o.o

I've never really minded the dentist that much. Actually, I've hardly ever been to the dentist anyway, so I don't have much reason to. Although some of the tools do look kind of scary... O.o

Even though it may seem simple, some parts of dentistry are scary and complicated. And saying based on experience, specially that i will be having my second set of wisdom teeth remove sometime within the next 2 weeks; long story short: One hell of a surgery. I have been through it already, but i wasn't pleasant at ALL. But at some point it is essential for multiple reasons: jaw pain, teeth displacement etc... Specially after 2 years of brace ._. Which also weren't pleasant all, but to be honest the outcome is what really counts.

My secret to forget everything while undergoing the surgery: Listen to some brony made music ;) A full playlist xD

And what really scares most of us is the fact that we can't see what's happening inside of our mouths, and the creepy sounds of the tools/machines + the ridiculous questions that the dentist asks you while you have 2 hands inside your mouth and a bunch of tool, expecting you to answer clearly, usually what is answered sounds like this : jeuukew weellqo ghalayu( something that no one understands) 

• Brohoof 1