Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Mary-Sue Test

Stary Dreams

Imma do it with all of my important Ocs. But only the ones that are more important.

Imagine (my favorite OC ever ^-^):

I'm highlighting text parts red if they are true

Imagine isn't a character: she's you, or you as you'd like to be. She isn't really very cool: she blends into crowds, she hangs out on the fringes at parties, and wearing shades after dark makes her run into things. She may have sometimes thought that she was special, or destined for greater things, but probably dismissed the idea as a fantasy. She's come in for her share of hurt, but gotten off with minor damage. And she's gotten no slack from you. 

In general, you care deeply about Imagine, but you're smart enough to let her stand on her own, without burdening her with your personal fantasies or propping her up with idealization and over-dramatization. Imagine is a healthy character with a promising career ahead of her.

I'll tell the rest later or sometime, maybe on a blog post or something.

This one's a bit complicated, since unicorn magic is commonplace. Some could be considered normal in-universe, others aren't.

These would be normal for unicorns, which might give you a justification not to fill them (remember, unicorn magic is related to their special talent, so your character shouldn't have more than one of these powers, that's Twilight's job):

-Teleportation 
-Telepathy 
-Telekinesis (more powerful than a normal unicorn)
-Pyrokinesis
-Healing
-Invisibility

-The ability to pass through matter 
-General magic or sorcery 
-The ability to see auras 
-Summoning

I disagree. Any unicorn can invest their time to learn the spells to do all of these, it is not reserved for Twilight, (previously) an average unicorn. However, of course, a unicorn knowing how to do all of these things is OP.

For this section, I marked down that my OC has access to teleporation, telekinesis (obviously), general magic (obviously), and invisibility.

I disagree. Any unicorn can invest their time to learn the spells to do all of these, it is not reserved for Twilight, (previously) an average unicorn. However, of course, a unicorn knowing how to do all of these things is OP.

It's a bit blurry, Spike mentionned in Boast Busters that unicorns can only do a little general magic, and their most powerful magic is related to their special talent. I forgot to consider that Twilight isn't the only unicorn whose talent is general magic (look at Trixie), so I'm sure there are other unicorns who can learn several abilities. The idea is to not overdo it.

I should probably do a more in-depth essay on character creation and Mary Sues one of these days.

• Brohoof 1

Goddammit! 74. He's m ponysona, of course he's going to share my beliefs/taste in music/quirks! Yes, he's much better at writing and swordplay than I am. But I just started with both and he's been doing them all his life! I would like to think at least my character is justified. He's/I'm certainly not infallible.

Edited by Steel Accord

Unique abilities have nothing to do with Mary Sues! The original definition only dealt with self-inserts and unrealistically over-powered characteristics in fan fiction. I don't think there's a single super hero who could pass this BS test. It barely even accounts for character flaws which balance out those unique abilities. By this test's standards great non-Sue characters like Doctor Manhattan would be branded with high scores, and that just doesn't sit well with me.

I meant by the standards of the test.

I think what I hate more about the test is that it makes people create "Anti-Sues", who are SO FULL OF FLAWS and NOBODY LIKES THEM and blah blah blah but they still suck the rest of the story in like a black hole and are clearly the author's favorite. Flaws should never be arbitrary.  I count them as part and parcel of the main core and spirit of a character (See: the entire reason why I like Rainbow Dash). 

(Funnily enough, my favorite of my OCs, Moraine, got the second lowest score even though I sometimes catch myself ascribing qualities to her that better belong with the others)

Edited by Stellafera

i tried the super-long test with Viscra and got 24 points, which is just inside the limits of borderline-Sue. whatever, i don't really think she's that much of a Mary Sue. plus some options seemed a bit limited in how i would respond to them.

Your Mary Sue Score: 19

11-20 points: The Non-Sue. Your character is a well-developed, balanced person, and is almost certainly not a Mary Sue. Congratulations!

Yay, i retook the long test with ashwing (using one of the rps im in him with as the main) and got a new score... The non-sue, well if we think about it we could just take away wings since its natural, the test means in innatural for HUMANS to have wings.

That first mary sue OC test seems to be more for anime original characters rather than pony ones. When I tried it I had the feeling that my oc got a lot of points because I said she had wings, could fly and is very good at something (Special talent).

The second one however is much better (My results):

Score Breakdown 
I Love Her, I Let Her Go 6 
You Mean Plaid Is Out? 4 
Plain Jane 2 
Healthy as a Horse 0 
Momma HATES Her! 3 
Total: 15

I tried putting in the boxes as though I was testing Twilight Sparkle. Turns out that on the first test she got a score of 75! I was kinda surprised, I didn't think she would be a Mary Sue. On the shorter test she was a balanced character though which just goes to show that you should take these tests with a grain of salt.

I would say that as long as you balance your character, you can have a few Sue-like traits. For example, one of my RP characters on another forum has a tragic past and a horrible childhood. However, he doesn't constantly bang on about it, certainly does not have "healing sex" all the time (in fact, he doesn't have sex at all) and has on occasion been needlessly cruel. He suffers badly from jealousy and low self esteem. On the face of it, a lot of people would think he was a Gary Stu cuz of the tragic past etc, but when I put him thru one of those tests, he came out as not one, cuz altho the tragic past etc put points on, the nasty aspects of his character took them off. XD

So basically, what I'm saying is that nopony has to have a boring character out of fear of Sueishness; just have some balance. For example, if your character is incredibly beautiful, make them vain. If they're rich, make them greedy or a workaholic. If they're super clever, make them geeky or antisocial. If they have a tragic past, show them still affected by it and taking ages to get over it, and make them envious of other people who have normal pasts. A talented character could also be a painful perfectionist who constantly beats themselves up if they make even one tiny mistake. It is entirely possible to have a character that works!

Once again, having super powers or any fantastical traits indicative of science fiction or fantasy is not indicative of being a Mary Sue. It only applies to characters who are self-inserts, created for the purposes of wish fulfillment.

• Brohoof 1

And besides it's soooooooo long! How am I meant to fill it out?

I agree. I'd sooner throw myself over a bridge than take such a long and rather useless test.

Besides i haven't even named My OC yet so i can't answer half of the questions anyway haha.

unsure.png

I got a 17, on the second test. I think the only reason that happened is because my OC is my ponypersona... Getting 15 points in the "She's got my nose" category. I might update with the first test later. ;)

So apparently, when I'm bored I take Mary Sue tests now. I put Grace, one of my newer OC's to the test.

For the first test results:

b2bd63a6-67d4-4852-a70a-db7faa235cff_zps

Well then. Now, for the second test:

f1551c7f-05d0-4655-9880-b4efd95dca59_zps

I guess I'm doing a good job, then. Or something. The test at times couldn't really apply to her, since the RP that she is in hasn't started quite yet, so. I wouldn't be too surprised if this stuff goes up a few points within a couple of months or so.

EDIT: The second image total is 16, in case it's too small to be seen clearly.

Edited by Skyman

"John Bright is nothing like you. He is not at all cool; in fact, he thinks cool is a temperature reading, and when he says "Oh, I just put on whatever old thing's lying around," he means "on the floor, where I threw it last night - but I turned the underwear inside out first." He may have sometimes thought that he was special, or destined for greater things, but probably dismissed the idea as a fantasy. He's had more than his fair share of hard knocks, and probably spends more time than he ought moaning about it. And he's gotten no slack from you.

In general, you care deeply about John Bright, but you're smart enough to let him stand on his own, without burdening him with your personal fantasies or propping him up with idealization and over-dramatization. John Bright is a healthy character with a promising career ahead of him.

Score Breakdown

Do I Know This Guy? 3

He's The Anti-Cool 1

I'm Destined For What? 3

Angst R Us 15

Momma HATES Him! 0

Total: 22"

I used the protagonist for my horror/parody story :P (Not my pony OC)

I got a 23, borderline Mary Sue.

I think what pushed me over the edge was Silverhood was always a self insert. I wouldn't mind being him at all. I hit a lot of buttons in the "Your OC and You" category.

True shit.

Cocodrillo Tinkerswitch isn't a character: she's you, or you as you'd like to be. She may be popular, or she may not, but no matter what she's impossible to ignore; she stands out... just the way you always wanted to. She always knew she was special, destined for great things - and probablyf made sure everyone else knew it too. She's got no emotional scars to speak of. And you've been sparing with the free handouts: whatever she gains, she's worked for.

You may have let yourself get a little too close to Cocodrillo Tinkerswitch. Maybe she's you as you wish you were, or maybe you're just afraid no one will like her and are trying to give her a free ride. Have some confidence in your writing! Cocodrillo Tinkerswitch is a good character. Give her room to be herself before you stifle her.

Score Breakdown
Mirror, Mirror 24
Yo! 15
Hey, Wanna See My Crown-Shaped Birthmark? 14
Healthy as a Horse 1
Spare the Rod and Spoil the Child 6
Total: 60

The one for Melting Ice:

Melting Ice is nothing like you. She isn't really very cool: she blends into crowds, she hangs out on the fringes at parties, and wearing shades after dark makes her run into things. She may have sometimes thought that she was special, or destined for greater things, but probably dismissed the idea as a fantasy. She's come in for her share of hurt, but gotten off with minor damage. And she's gotten no slack from you.

In general, you care deeply about Melting Ice, but you're smart enough to let her stand on her own, without burdening her with your personal fantasies or propping her up with idealization and over-dramatization. Melting Ice is a healthy character with a promising career ahead of her.

Score Breakdown
Do I Know This Guy? 3
You Mean Plaid Is Out? 6
I'm Destined For What? 9
Can't Complain 4
Momma HATES Her! 0
Total: 22

• 7 months later...

Chain Mail is nothing like you. He may be popular, or he may not, but no matter what he's impossible to ignore; he stands out... just the way you always wanted to. He may have sometimes thought that he was special, or destined for greater things, but probably dismissed the idea as a fantasy. He's come in for his share of hurt, but gotten off with minor damage. And you've been sparing with the free handouts: whatever he gains, he's worked for. 

In general, you care deeply about Chain Mail, but you're smart enough to let him stand on his own, without burdening him with your personal fantasies or propping him up with idealization and over-dramatization. Chain Mail is a healthy character with a promising career ahead of him. 

Score Breakdown 
Do I Know This Stallion? 3 
Yo! 12 
I'm Destined For What? 4 
Can't Complain 5 
Spare the Rod and Spoil the Foal 4 
Total: 28

I say that I was about average.

firetorn is suspiciously similar to you as you'd like to be. She may be popular, or she may not, but no matter what she's impossible to ignore; she stands out... just the way you always wanted to. There's never been anything special about her that she could see; boy, is she in for a surprise. She's got no emotional scars to speak of. And she's gotten no slack from you. 

In general, you care deeply about firetorn, but you're smart enough to let her stand on her own, without burdening her with your personal fantasies or propping her up with idealization and over-dramatization. firetorn is a healthy character with a promising career ahead of her. 

Score Breakdown 

She's Got My Nose 16 
Yo! 17 
Plain Jane 0 
Healthy as a Horse 0 
Momma HATES Her! 1 
Total: 34 

Pandora is only a little like you. She is not at all cool; in fact, she thinks cool is a temperature reading, and when she says "Oh, I just put on whatever old thing's lying around," she means "on the floor, where I threw it last night - but I turned the underwear inside out first." She may have sometimes thought that she was special, or destined for greater things, but probably dismissed the idea as a fantasy. She's got no emotional scars to speak of. And she's gotten no slack from you. 

In general, you care deeply about Pandora, but you're smart enough to let her stand on her own, without burdening her with your personal fantasies or propping her up with idealization and over-dramatization. Pandora is a healthy character with a promising career ahead of her. 

Score Breakdown 
I Love Her, I Let Her Go 9 
She's The Anti-Cool 3 
I'm Destined For What? 7 
Healthy as a Horse 0 
Momma HATES Her! 0 
Total: 19

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pretty good for an Alicorn.... That being said, I would think that she'd be a liiiiiittle more like me because I based her off my inner personality.  But most of those questions were about looks.  Oh yeah here's a picture for the curious:

img-2101209-1-pandora_by_fine__line-d6vm

well i used the shorter one for my dragon oc Sarina, this is what i got

Sarina Firelight is only a little like you. She may be popular, or she may not, but no matter what she's impossible to ignore; she stands out... just the way you always wanted to. There's never been anything special about her that she could see; boy, is she in for a surprise. She's got no emotional scars to speak of. And she's gotten no slack from you. 

In general, you care deeply about Sarina Firelight, but you're smart enough to let her stand on her own, without burdening her with your personal fantasies or propping her up with idealization and over-dramatization. Sarina Firelight is a healthy character with a promising career ahead of her. 

Score Breakdown 
I Love Her, I Let Her Go 4 
Yo! 11 
Plain Jane 0 
Healthy as a Horse 2 
Momma HATES Her! 3 
Total: 20