Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Unpopular Music Related Opinions

Le Kvlt Dawn

I know there's already an "unpopular opinions thread", but this one is just for music. That way it doesn't get tangled with crap like religion and politics.

Alright I'll begin now.

People who say things like "Music nowadays sucks" are annoying as hell.

People who think that good metal only comes out of Europe are annoying.

Mike Portnoy is a huge douche for trying to sue his ex-band mates.

John Petrucci is overrated.

People who say that grindcore sucks just because it has the word "core" in it are ignorant. (Same with metalcore)

Bathory invented black metal, not Venom.

Venom was the best NWOBHM band.

Destruction is my favorite thrash metal band.

Igor Cavalera is an underrated drummer.

I kinda like Lars Ulrich, he's a good drummer too.

I like Anal Cunt's music.

Obsessed By Cruelty is Sodom's best album.

I can understand why the Norwegian church burnings happaned.

I really like Pablo Honey, You is my favorite Radiohead song.

Meat Is Murder is better than The Queen Is Dead.

The Stooges invented punk, not the Ramones.

Post-hardcore used to be a good genre of music.

I find Coldplay to depressing and boring.

Pitchfork and Rolling Stone both suck.

I don't like Lady Gaga's music but, she seems like a nice person.

There's plenty of good music today, people just can find it.

Well, I'm done for right now.

• Brohoof 9

I dislike Rolling Stone magazine.  Anyone who puts Kurt Cobain ahead of Alex Lifeson for best guitarist, doesn't know what they are talking about.  Jimmy Hendrix is overrated.  Mainstream music isn't good, but there is a LOT of great music that is "underground", quotes because to a lot they are considered underground, but they really aren't.

• Brohoof 4

Rush is the best band ever

Alex Lifeson is an extremely underrated guitarist

Nickelback is garbage, they are the worst rock band in existence

Avenged Sevenfold is the best modern "mainstream" heavy metal band

Most of A7X's popular songs are really overrated (Afterlife, Bat Country, etc.)

Bands like Coldplay are boring

I can't stand death metal/deathcore vocals most of the time

Metallica is better than Megadeth

Death Magnetic is one of the best Metallica albums

...And Justice for All is the best Metallica album

MCR's The Black Parade album is one of the best modern rock albums ever

Disturbed is the best modern "mainstream" metal band besides A7X

Slipknot is pretty awesome except for their newest album

Atreyu is one of the best metalcore bands

Melodic Death Metal is better than Death Metal

• Brohoof 4

I dislike Rolling Stone magazine.  Anyone who puts Kurt Cobain ahead of Alex Lifeson for best guitarist, doesn't know what they are talking about.  Jimmy Hendrix is overrated.  Mainstream music isn't good, but there is a LOT of great music that is "underground", quotes because to a lot they are considered underground, but they really aren't.

Kurt was a decent guitarist, he's a much better lyricist though. Have you seen Rolling Stone's "Top 10 metal albums"? It's pretty bad, pitiful, the worst list ever and #1 was really predictable.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pictures/readers-poll-the-greatest-heavy-metal-albums-of-all-time-20120919

Kurt was a decent guitarist, he's a much better lyricist though. Have you seen Rolling Stone's "Top 10 metal albums"? It's pretty bad, pitiful, the worst list ever and #1 was really predictable.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pictures/readers-poll-the-greatest-heavy-metal-albums-of-all-time-20120919

Yeah, I can agree with you there about Kurt.  That list is just aggravating as hell.  All of those albums a great, but honestly there should'v been a bigger variety.   Adding a Megadeth album or a Judas Priest album would'v made it a little better, but that is a very bad list all-in-all.  

I think Coldplay is slightly worse actually.

Avenged Sevenfold is the best modern "mainstream" heavy metal band

LOL no. But since that's your opinion, I can respect that.

Alex Lifeson is an extremely underrated guitarist

This picture sums it up.

ezqsw2n.jpg?w=1000

Yeah, I can agree with you there about Kurt.  That list is just aggravating as hell.  All of those albums a great, but honestly there should'v been a bigger variety.   Adding a Megadeth album or a Judas Priest album would'v made it a little better, but that is a very bad list all-in-all.  

They made a mistake with Run to the Hills by calling it Run THROUGH the Hills. They could've also added some Exodus, Death or Burzum.Sheesh, four Metallica albums and they left out Kill Em' All.dry.png

• Brohoof 3

I hate people that bitch and whine about how dubstep sounds like "FJUSFY(&FYHSOJFSDJIS." (It doesn't, you're exaggerating.)

I prefer drumstep over dubstep.

Classical music is underrated.

LMFAO's music is absolutely dreadful. 

----------------------------------------------------

I've got a few more, but I'm a bit busy at the moment.

~Colgate

• Brohoof 4

- I don't like The Beatles.

- I am the only person I've ever met who knows that the instrument in Stevie Wonder's "Superstition" is not a bass, slap bass, synth bass, or guitar. It's a clavinet. Everyone tells me I'm wrong. I laugh.

- I don't hate Nickleback

- I think Carlos Santana is overrated

- I think upbeat swing is better dance music than EDM

Here's some more:

The Beatles are overrated (although I respect them).

Led Zeppelin is overrated (i respect them too though).

Queen has some great songs, but are overrated overall.

^The above also applies to AC/DC.

The Backstreet Boys and NSYNC actually have some pretty damn good songs.

Rage Against the Machine is the best rock/metal band that incorporates rap into their music.

Trivium sounds a bit too much like Metallica, but I still think they are pretty great.

Daft Punk is boring as hell

Almost all country music is annoying as hell

Gangnam Style and songs like that are stupid 

• Brohoof 1

Avenged Sevenfold are the most over rated Metalcore band

Rush aren't the greatest Prog Rock band, that title goes to Pink Floyd

Pendulum aren't the most creative band in electronic music

Skrillex is talentless in most areas of production

Saying things like Nicki Minaj, Jusitn Beiber, 1D or any other popular pop artist sucks, is not an unpopular opinion

Dream Theater are over rated, though they may be a good band, they are far away from being the best

Melodic Death Metal is better than ordinary Death Metal

Power Metal is boring

The best Metalcore band, is without a doubt, all hands down, CONVERGE

Pablo Honey was a good Radiohead album, maybe not one of their better ones, but it wasn't THAT bad

And I'll probably think of more later

Edited by Norma Moog
  • Brohoof 2

C-c-c-combo breaker! xD

Dubstep is horrible.

99% of rap is atrocious. (That %1 is left for some of Eminem's stuff and almost everything in the movie 8 Mile. If rap was like the stuff in 8 Mile, I would like rap.)

Most metal songs make me want to grind my teeth to shards.

Taylor Swift is not country. Get out of my genre, you little patootie.

If the vocals aren't good, I don't like listening to the music.

(Couldn't let the country insult slide. :) My favorite genre.)

• Brohoof 2

Battle of Who Could Care Less by Ben Folds Five is a brillant song.

(This opinion used to be unpopular with me. I hated it before listening a few more times.)

Rap often provides deep insight to people not familiar with how the streets used to operate back then - back when racism and crime were both heavy influences to how people behaved. For example, a black man was mostly referred to as a person who couldn't amount to anything and a major contributor to a city's crime rate. While the latter did hold true to a degree, the genre goes in another route, telling the tales of how life is like for that black person in an often dense city ready to pounce on itself. As it shed light on their lives, we begin to empathize with them and we come to realize that this could hold true to anyone struggling to survive on brutal streets.

I know that rap is very misinformed and written off as ridiculous because the rapper(s) are often portrayed to be brainless clowns, and for that reason, I know that this is unpopular.

This is an unpopular opinion? I swear, most of the internet would agree with you on this one from hearsay alone... I'm not one to judge though so I'm neutral with Nickelback.

Edited by Alfonzo Dennard
  • Brohoof 9

Rap often provides deep insight to people not familiar with how the streets used to operate back then - back when racism and crime were both heavy influences to how people behaved. For example, a black man was mostly referred to as a person who couldn't amount to anything an a major contributor to a city's crime rate. While the latter did hold true to a degree, the genre goes in another route, telling the tales of how life is like for that black person in an often dense city ready to pounce on itself. As it shed light on their lives, we begin to empathize with them and we come to realize that this could hold true to anyone struggling to survive on brutal streets.

I know that rap is very misinformed and written off as ridiculous because the rapper(s) are often portrayed to be brainless clowns, and for that reason, I know that this is unpopular.

Exactly. I really hate how seemingly every popular rap song is talking about how or where they're going to sleep with women, or how much money they have, or whatever. 8 Mile was a great movie, and I went into the movie with high distaste since I really dislike rap. But when it has a meaning, and a purpose, then it's just like any other music.

And holy crap that rap battle at the end was aaaaaaaaaaweeeeesome......

• Brohoof 3

This is an unpopular opinion? I swear, most of the internet would agree with you on this one from hearsay alone... I'm not one to judge though so I'm neutral with Nickelback.

Considering how many times I hear them on the radio on a constant basis, there are obviously tons of people who love them (which I cannot understand, considering every time I hear them I want to shoot myself in the head). 

Oh, one I just thought of... Freddie Mercury is not a good singer. I've got the multitrack to Bohemian Rhapsody, and if you listen to just his vocal, it's pretty bad. He's on pitch, but the tone is terrible in places.

Though it's often dismissed as a Grey's Anatomy backdrop tune, Anna Nalick's "Breathe (3 AM)" is one of the best-written songs of the decade it came out in.

Considering how many times I hear them on the radio on a constant basis, there are obviously tons of people who love them (which I cannot understand, considering every time I hear them I want to shoot myself in the head). 

It is a popular opinion, just because something is on the radio doesn't mean that it has respect from others. That just simply means that 10 year olds like the sound of it. Nickelback get advertised in a bad way almost everywhere on the internet, which is flooded with people.

- I think Carlos Santana is overrated

Really? I think he's kinda underrated.

Almost all country music is annoying as hell

True, Johnny Cash is a badass though.

Melodic Death Metal is better than ordinary Death Metal

LOL no. Same goes to you RD92.

Dream Theater are over rated, though they may be a good band, they are far away from being the best

Eeyup.

Avenged Sevenfold are the most over rated Metalcore band

Eeyup x2

Taylor Swift is not country. Get out of my genre, you little patootie.

True, very true.

Most metal songs make me want to grind my teeth to shards.

85% of what I listen to is metal -.- 

Well here are some more:

I like country, I like it more than rap and I live in a big city.

Opeth is the best modern metal band.

Sepultura is better than Pantera.

Led Zeppelin isn't metal.

Destruction is the greatest band to come out of Germany.

Rap fans annoy me and always start shit with me.

I like Cannibal Corpse, especially with Chris Barnes.

Show No Mercy is Slayer's best album.

Metal and classical are the two greatest musical genres in history

• Brohoof 1

I hate how Rap these days are being compared to the Rap back in the days. The rap in our decade & age now, is nothing compared to the rap in the old era. Because, the rappers that we used to have actually rapped about the struggles and how our world is now. The rap now, is just only about money, sleeping, and whatever non sense. Not to hate on rap at all.

• Brohoof 6

Exactly. I really hate how seemingly every popular rap song is talking about how or where they're going to sleep with women, or how much money they have, or whatever. 8 Mile was a great movie, and I went into the movie with high distaste since I really dislike rap. But when it has a meaning, and a purpose, then it's just like any other music.

And holy crap that rap battle at the end was aaaaaaaaaaweeeeesome......

"This guy's a gangsta? His real name's Clarence! And Clarence lives at home with both parents! And Clarence's parents have a real good marriage!"

More to the point though, rap has always been about delivery and ability to "hang" with the flow, as it were. I can tell you that sounding charismatic helped their cause quite a bit. Nowadays we're beginning to see more emphasis placed on delivery with charisma, like the two going hand in hand. What you end up with is a product that sounds sweet yet intense at the same time. For example, I'm not a big fan of "Black and Yellow" but I find the instrumental to be fantastic. I suppose the chorus sounds a lot better with it, though the actual "formula" has caught on and I can understand why it appears so trite.

If you're in it for lyrical content though, you should try checking out Immortal Technique and Tech N9ne. Their songs really make you think -- especially Immortal Tech's Dance with the Devil. That one will make you tear up.

• Brohoof 2

LOL no. Same goes to you RD92.

My favorite genre of metal is Post-Metal so that alone should explain why I prefer In Flames and Dark Tranquility over Morbid Angel and Death.

Edited by Sherlock Moog

-Rock 'n' roll is an awesome genre

-While I like a little bit of dubstep, the whole genre seems repetitive and does not require much skill to create

-AC/DC is the greatest rock band in the world.

-Rap is not a bad genre, it's just the artists make it look bad. True rap can actually be really good.

Led Zeppelin is overrated (i respect them too though).

Queen has some great songs, but are overrated overall.

^The above also applies to AC/DC.

-I disagree with all three of these statements

-The "Money For Nothing" famous guitar riff from Dire Straits is among the best in the world

-Those that deny the factual evidence that many of the world's most famous rock bands do make more money than any artist to date are just jealous of rock's enormous power and right of wayhappy.png

Edited by Angus Young
  • Brohoof 1

-Rock 'n' roll is an awesome genre

-While I like a little bit of dubstep, the whole genre seems repetitive and does not require much skill to create

-AC/DC is the greatest rock band in the world.

-Rap is not a bad genre, it's just the artists make it look bad. True rap can actually be really good.

-The "Money For Nothing" famous guitar riff from Dire Straits is among the best in the world

-Those that deny the factual evidence that many of the world's most famous rock bands do make more money than any artist to date are just jealous.

If it makes you feel better, I think that Angus Young is one of the absolute best classic rock guitarists. I also think AC/DC is one of the best classic rock bands.

I disagree with this one, too. How could people cite that particular riff when they've got Sultans of Swing to reference by the same guitarist?