Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Earth pony magic?

Addem Up

They do. Their strength and connection with nature makes Earth ponies just as magical as unicorns and pegasi.

Well when Tirek absorbs a pony's magic they lose their cutie mark. Presumably this means that cutie marks go beyond just a symbol for their special purpose, and actually have magical properties.

Plus Earth ponies have a special power in that they're stronger than normal, (It was confirmed in Applejack and the Honest to Goodness Switcheroo) and also have a "good, true heart". (Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell).

Can I officially call myself a "scholar of pony", now? I know way too much crap about Equestria and can cite sources.

• Brohoof 1

It's a more passive form of magic than the other types but it is unique to them. I'd like to see if there is a pony strong enough to break off a unicorn's telekinesis. Maybe Big Macintosh or Bulk Biceps.

Seems to me personally that yes, they do have magic, but in a more or less passive way. They can't actively use it like a unicorn can. Same goes for pegasi, of which I do think that their speed and ability to quite some acrobatic feats is also because they have magic flowing through them in a passive way.

Their connection with nature seems to be somewhat proof of that, as is their cutie marks disappearing when Tirek absorbed their magic. Proof in itself really; for him to be able to absorb magic from an earth pony they must've had some form of magic in them. ^^

Maybe pinkie pie randomness is related to some magic :lol:
Actually, i have a kind of theory there. I think that Pinkie Pie is some sort of magic vacuum. She constantly sucks in and creates magic, which explains her hyperactivity, and then she might also be able to passively sense interruptions in that magic, which leads to her Pinkie Sense. :blink:

And i also agree with the whole Strength and Feeling for Nature thingy. They are called Earthponies for a reason. :P
  • Brohoof 1

Earthpony are suppose to be the strongest (physically) since their ancestors were mostly laborers and to this day you see how hard they work opposed to the other two races, so I take it he is absorbing their strength

but that's how I see it, the more you think about it the more it makes sense

As this topic has more to do with an aspect of the show itself, it has been moved to the Show Discussion sub-forum.

Thank you, and continue your previous scheduled discussion. :)

They do. Their strength and connection with nature makes Earth ponies just as magical as unicorns and pegasi.

^This.

They are connected to the earth and nature, something the two other races lack.

Yes, Earth Ponies do have magic, but it is more internalized than other ponies.  "Bucking" a tree is definitely magic.  I grew up in the sticks.  Some of my neighbors & classmates still lived on working farms.  Voice of Experience "Ripe fruit doesn't just fall from trees when you shake the tree or even the branch the fruit is on".  This is based on a childhood spent climbing trees.

You kick a tree, you either break the tree, or, more likely, you break yourself into itty, bitty pieces.  So, "bucking" a tree is definitely magic.  Plus, IMO, picking things up w their hoof is magic -unless they've got suction cups like octopi.

A Unicorn's horn acts like a magic wand.  Zecora can do some spells.  Cadence was originally a Pegasus & could do some spells.  Thus, it is harder for them, & thus, IMO, there are very few non Unicorn wizards, but it's theoretically possible.

IMO, picking things up w their hoof is magic -

Oh yeah.  I forgot to mention that was another reason I have always assumed that all ponies are magical.  I think they all have a low-level version of unicorn telekinesis in their hooves, which act like fingers.  How else could they play musical instruments so well?

Octavia_Melody_ID_S1E26.png     post-10053-0-96635800-1356407389.png

640px-Pinkie_Pie_sitting_at_pipe_organ_S

Well, in Hearth's Warming Eve, it said that Earth Ponies are needed to grow crops, so they obviously have some kind of magical connection to the earth.

Well when Tirek absorbs a pony's magic they lose their cutie mark. Presumably this means that cutie marks go beyond just a symbol for their special purpose, and actually have magical properties.

Plus Earth ponies have a special power in that they're stronger than normal, (It was confirmed in Applejack and the Honest to Goodness Switcheroo) and also have a "good, true heart". (Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell).

Can I officially call myself a "scholar of pony", now? I know way too much crap about Equestria and can cite sources.

But if a cutie mark has magical properties how can blank flanks perform magic too?

Pumpkin_Cake_chewing_the_toy_1_S02E13.pn

But if a cutie mark has magical properties how can blank flanks perform magic too?

img-3246732-1-Pumpkin_Cake_chewing_the_t

The cutie mark probably is not the only source of magic or else it is just a physical manifestation of magic. Plus little baby unicorns still have horns.

The cutie mark/magic relationship is a little unclear.  From the earlier episodes, I sort of got the idea that you got your cutie mark when 1) You found that's what Tiggers like the best & 2) You admitted it to yourself.  This is why, for example, AJ lived on her farm all her life but never got her mark until she left the farm & realized that it was the bright & glowing center of the universe.  A cutie mark is a powerful thing, even Discord couldn't change it, he just got the ponies to sort of forget & Twilight broke the spell by reminding them.  It comes from within & can't be overpowered by outside forces (well, not easily)

But, episode 65 Magical Mystery Cure, "It's what my cutie mark is telling me" made it sound bass ackwards, like the cm was controlling them.  Although, it didn't seem to bestow any extra powers

The time Apple Bloom got the cutie pox, the mark seemed to give her powers & control her, but it didn't seem to come from within, either.  As to the cm giving magic, Twilight had some magic before she got her cm.   think it is an age thing, you get more powerful & better as you get older.  Twilight was trying to teach Sweetie Belle to use TK & she almost had it, but lost it

Edited by sweetolebob18