Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would a MLP arcade beat em up sell well on XBLA/PSN/PC

TheMarkz0ne

(edited)

So you're saying that its like the game Fable. So its just you running around killing things..... yeah i'd buy that. I love games like that. But if its a MLP game, then Luna has to be in it.

Edited by X-Ray

I have no doubts that this wouldn't become popular if it existed. There are a lot of Xbox Live bronies, meaning that it should sell well. It might even attract non-bronies.

(edited)

Yeah, if done right. Give all the characters interesting moves, and make it go passed the demographic of MLP.

Edited by Panzysoldat

• 3 years later...

Lol. Oh man. I was just thinking about this. This would definitely be a day-one buy for me.

I'm not a huge fan of Konami-styled beat em ups though. They're too much about hit-and-run tactics (except X-Men). I'd rather see an MLP game that had the same fighting mechanics as Final Fight, with a crap ton of moves for each character and a really deep magic/inventory system like the Dungeons & Dragons arcade games. Unlocking 30+ ponies from the show with their own unique gameplay would add a lot of replay value too.

Oh, and Sunset Shimmer of course!

• Brohoof 1

I'm having trouble fathoming why violence and death would be profitable in a series meant to promote friendship and love. Are you kidding?

Friendly and loving enough to feature a DBZ-style fight with a 6-limbed devil. :lol:

• Brohoof 2

I don't know if I'd buy this game straight off the bat, but I'd definitely put it on my wish list, at least until I had a solid argument against buying it. Not that I'd ever bother composing one, of course; I'd buy it eventually. Once Hasbro discounted it enough for those on middling incomes to afford without taking out a loan, that is.

I'm having trouble fathoming why violence and death would be profitable in a series meant to promote friendship and love. Are you kidding?

It would be friendly violence and loving death, of course. I assumed that would be obvious. :-P

1 question if i may WHERE THE BLOOMMIN' HECK IS SOMBRA???? you cant have MLP villains without him.

arcade beat-em-ups are sortta dying due to street fighter 5's flop but it would sell in the right market

The game would need alot of cute commentary dialogue remarks etc of the mane6 while going through their journey for side-entertainment value, but it shouldn't slow down the pace of the game.

1 question if i may WHERE THE BLOOMMIN' HECK IS SOMBRA???? you cant have MLP villains without him.

arcade beat-em-ups are sortta dying due to street fighter 5's flop but it would sell in the right market

Dude, Street Fighter's not a beat-em-up. That's like saying first-person shooters are dying because Virtua Cop 3 flopped.

These are beat-em-ups. Not 1v1 fighting, just beating down waves of enemies, solo or co-op.

Edited by KillerKingBakudan

Hmm.. I think it would be received well, mostly among the fans, that is. Well, unless the game would be poorly executed. (Have you heard of "Power Rangers Mega Battle"? or rather.. the reviews and opinions it received?  :-P )

Many 'bronies' get interested in the game just because it involves ponies and they're just getting curious. This, at least applies to me as well.

- Not a fan of Gameloft's games, yet I have touched their MLP app. Not for so long though, I knew it will be like this.

- Not a fan of fighting games, yet I've enjoyed Fighting is Magic and was sad, that it was taken down.

- I like 'Castlevania' games, I extremely loved 'Ponyvania', also because of local coop! (played with my brother)

- I've played few other games (RPG's etc.), just of curiosity and interest in the source material and I admit - I liked them even if some were pretty poorly designed (also can't blame indie devs for that, it's a challenge for small teams)

Soo.. if the game would be well made and would have something more than just random enemies and few simple skills for ponies, then it could be a really nice game.

Imagine well developed colorful abilities, that you can upgrade ~ perhaps even collecting equipment to raise stats? Make a use of wings to add some levels with different gameplay style. Then wrap it all up with a nice plot, even from the show (villains etc. etc.) ~ for example collecting keys of harmony (not really accurate to show, but with some clever thinking it wouldn't be that bad).

With cute animations and star particles upon hit, it wouldn't really have to be an 'offensive' game. Let's not forget, that <SPOILER ALERT>

Battle with Tirek wasn't any better! :-P 

Maybe it couldn't be aimed towards the target audience, but at least the older fanbase would have fun with it!  ^_^

Heh, even if it would be a lame game, then I'd totally give it a try!

Something like this?

kDQLMI9.png

Totally yes!  :yay:

Edited by Rikifive

Dude, Street Fighter's not a beat-em-up. That's like saying first-person shooters are dying because Virtua Cop 3 flopped.

These are beat-em-ups. Not 1v1 fighting, just beating down waves of enemies, solo or co-op.

thanks for pointing that out I was thinking streets of rage when I typed that

Hmm.. I think it would be received well, mostly among the fans, that is. Well, unless the game would be poorly executed. (Have you heard of "Power Rangers Mega Battle"? or rather.. the reviews and opinions it received?  :-P )

Many 'bronies' get interested in the game just because it involves ponies and they're just getting curious. This, at least applies to me as well.

- Not a fan of Gameloft's games, yet I have touched their MLP app. Not for so long though, I knew it will be like this.

- Not a fan of fighting games, yet I've enjoyed Fighting is Magic and was sad, that it was taken down.

- I like 'Castlevania' games, I extremely loved 'Ponyvania', also because of local coop! (played with my brother)

- I've played few other games (RPG's etc.), just of curiosity and interest in the source material and I admit - I liked them even if some were pretty poorly designed (also can't blame indie devs for that, it's a challenge for small teams)

Soo.. if the game would be well made and would have something more than just random enemies and few simple skills for ponies, then it could be a really nice game.

Imagine well developed colorful abilities, that you can upgrade ~ perhaps even collecting equipment to raise stats? Make a use of wings to add some levels with different gameplay style. Then wrap it all up with a nice plot, even from the show (villains etc. etc.) ~ for example collecting keys of harmony (not really accurate to show, but with some clever thinking it wouldn't be that bad).

With cute animations and star particles upon hit, it wouldn't really have to be an 'offensive' game. Let's not forget, that <SPOILER ALERT>

Battle with Tirek wasn't any better! :-P 

Maybe it couldn't be aimed towards the target audience, but at least the older fanbase would have fun with it!  ^_^

Heh, even if it would be a lame game, then I'd totally give it a try!

Something like this?

sig-4830148.kDQLMI9.png

Totally yes!  :yay:

I want to see something like Bayonetta, but with heavy Star Wars and Power Rangers influences.
-Game-exclusive enemies that later make it into the show. Time to beat up battle droids, Stormtroopers, Rancors, rejected Power Rangers monsters, and giant multi-limbed mutants!
-Of course, there can't be any gore, sex, or swearing for the MLP brawler. Got to maintain an E rating so the target demographic can still play this.
-The levels aren't just straight lines, but rather the environmental layouts provide different ways to fight. Obi-Wan had the high ground! 
-Equip blasters on your mane, tail, and all four legs, and hold lightsabers with your mouth.
-One-hit blasts of friendship getting old? Don't worry, the aforementioned enemies thoroughly destroyed all the Macguffins! Instead, time for a much higher variety of finishing moves! Lyra summons a flurry of giant fists to smash a giant boss' face in. Octavia shoots another in the face using her cello bow as a blaster bolt. Fluttershy's stare now shoots explosive lasers, and she also summons a giant woodpecker to finish one boss. And of course, finish off the final boss by Falcon Punching it in the soul all the way to the sun.
-Each boss' dying words are "May Fausticorn, the Creator, grace you" before exploding.
-Combine light, heavy, and ranged attacks for different special attacks.
-Lots of epic stunts: Surf across lava on a Stormtrooper's corpse, fight an army of droids on a broken radio tower falling off the edge of an enormous cliff, do an accurate Death Star trench run as a pegasus or alicorn, do the Bowser Toss from Super Mario 64 with dragons and skyscrapers, and more!

Ugh. I never cared much for Bayonetta. But even if it was my favorite game ever, I wouldn't recommend that kind of action to base an MLP game on, let alone a beat-em-up. The idea is to make it feel like an arcade game, and that can't be done if it's not 2D, and not linear. That's why people are still buying all the classics whenever they get new ports. They're challenging, but easy to pick up and quick to play through. And the co-op is inviting enough to make them a perfect choice for parties.

So this is what I'd want to see:

At best, I'd want the system to have as much depth as Dragon's Crown, yet not so far removed from the 2D gameplay in Final Fight that it becomes a chore to study and play. As such, no more than four players. Since this would theoretically be sold on consoles/Steam, I can easily see there being two modes. A campaign mode where you start off with the Mane Six, play through the main story and unlock 30+ ponies as you go (with quick tutorials thrown in for each). And the arcade mode, the real meat-and-potatoes in the package, where you get to play any ponies you've unlocked right off the bat and go for the highest possible score you can put on the leaderboards.

In general, I'd want the controls to consist of eight-way directions and three buttons:

Attack / Use 

Jump (can also be held down for pegasi to hover)

Select (to cycle through Magic, Items and Weapons in the inventory)

In addition, the ponies can all be divided into five archetypes. These can make a dramatic difference in team dynamics for every possible combination of ponies in your party.

1. Magic-Users: The ponies who have access to a select variety of spells. Twilight obviously goes here. She could be the most well-rounded in this category; having standard blast magic, and a wide array spells that range from crowd control to healing party members, etc. By contrast, Starlight's spells could be more offense-based. Sunset's spells could be more defense-based. And Trixie's spells could be less powerful overall, but focus a lot more on illusions to trick enemies and create traps.

2. Brawlers: Ponies that excel in performing special moves and using melee weapons. Rainbow Dash would make a perfect fit for this, as would Daring Do.

3. Powerhouses: Ponies with very few abilities beyond basic attacks, but typically have the most stamina, deal the most damage, and have the power to destroy heavy obstacles in the environment. If this is your preferred style of play, then Applejack, Big Mac, Maud or Bulk Biceps is the way to go.

4. Builders: Ponies that start off fairly weak, but unlock extremely powerful gimmicks by collecting specialty items found in chests. Pinkie Pie could grab spare parts to reassemble her party canon and clear the screen of all enemies; she could even switch between balloons or confetti to spread random items everywhere for players to pick up. Vinyl Scratch could assemble her mobile DJ rig from Slice of Life, with lots of armor, several disc and sound wave projectiles, and a built-in dashing attack.

5. Summoners: Ponies that operate by summoning assist characters to back them up. Fluttershy can call on her animal friends for help, Spitfire can call on the rest of the Wonderbolts, Octavia can bring out her chorus band to attack with their instruments, etc.

6. Boosters: Ponies that can enhance their own stats, and other players in the party. Rarity can do this by bringing out a line of outfits that each have different effects, like temporary increases in stamina, magic, and even new special moves. Zecora can do the same by mixing potions.

• Brohoof 2

how bout support attacks like depending on the stage you could use a support attack

to either heal if playing as a non magic user or different effects depending on stage character stuff like that

gives the player incentive to try stage & character combinations to see what works and what don't

how bout support attacks like depending on the stage you could use a support attack

to either heal if playing as a non magic user or different effects depending on stage character stuff like that

gives the player incentive to try stage & character combinations to see what works and what don't

I thought about that too. It'd be neat to have Derpy causing things to break and fall on groups of enemies just by flying into them. Or maybe Daring Do opening a door by reading hieroglyphs that other ponies can't and inserting a key.

And speaking of combinations, a game like this could really benefit from team-up attacks. One thing I liked about the Simpsons was it had this mechanic where if you had two characters stand next to each other for one second, they'd get into this position that allowed you to attack people by running into them, deal double the damage up close, or in Marge's case, attack by literally throwing Bart or Lisa from full-screen. In an MLP game, something this could work between specific pairs. Basically, any two ponies that have positive history between each other can more likely execute a team-up maneuver. Anyone from the Mane Six would be a given, but then you'd also have obvious ones to work with like Lyra and Bon Bon, Starlight and Trixie, etc.

• Brohoof 1

Button layout:

Walk And Run

Jump (Non-earth ponies can hover.)

Light Attack (Up to five at a time. Hold to fire any blasters equipped on mane, tail, and legs one by one.)

Heavy Attack (Up to three at a time. If you have a lightsaber equipped in your mouth, hold to swing it for three more hits. Hold in the air for a dive bomb.)

Ranged Attack (Not the aforementioned blasters. Hold to charge. Different for each pony.)

Guard (Blocking a blaster bolt just before it hits deflects it. Hold with a direction to dodge. Dodging an attack right before it hits lets you get in a free hit.)

Select (Switch weapons and ranged attacks on the menu.)

Different attack combinations provide different special attacks. Collect bits to purchase weapons and specials.