Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Telling your parents you're a brony

Ezynell

My parents will never know muhahahaha. Some of my friends know I like Rainbow Dash (and they think it's because I'm the "artsy" one) and think that's about it. I did mention the fandom when I was making a shirt that parodied the show, but that's about it.

Im never going to tell my parents because being a brony is something no one IRL would ever expect from a guy like me and id rather keep it that way.

It was pretty easy for me, one day i was talking with my family about today's cartoons so i started to talk about mlp, how it is a great show and why it is so appealing to young men and adults in general, and then I told them I loved this show. At first I thought they'd hate me because they used to hate mlp (g1). But they eventually understood and accepted it, and they actually watched some pony stuff and they kinda liked it too. :lol:

• Brohoof 1

My dad snuck up on me watching episode 18 - a friend in deed a couple of days ago, and he said:

"What's that? It looks like my little pony or something..." And I said: "It is."

I showed him a video explaining it to him but he doesn't understand it... feels like he never understand anything... :( Now he teases me and so on... and today the he said like the worst thing I could ever imagine;

while looking at Facebook I saw a picture that Andrea Libman had uploaded and I "liked" it, and he said:

"Why are you "liking" that? *pointing at some other pictures on the screen* why don't you "like" that instead? Maybe I should drop you at the Pride Festival on the way home tomorrow?" I just rolled my eyes and ignored what he said... So that's what I have to take from him... but I kind of expected it, really, I'm just kind of mad that he doesn't understand it and he refuses to let me show him an episode to see what he thinks... oh well...

My story is pretty lame in comparison with everyone else's here.

My Mum walked up to me while watching Sonic Rainboom on the livestream when it aired. The conversation went as such.

"Is that ponies"

"Yeah."

"Uh huh... why is that one Rainbows?"

"Because she's cool."

"Okay... why'd she explode though?"

"She what?!" *wind back video to rewatch* "I'll talk to you later, I have ponies to watch"

"K"

And that was it.

Enjoying MLP is not something that you need to go around telling people.... its not like your comming out as gay, you dont need to tell your parents you like ponies. Do you tell them every thing you like? if they didnt know you liked the simpsons for example would you go over to them and say "Mom, Dad, I like the simpsons"? no you wouldent because its not important for them to know.

i dont understand why people need to "Come out" as a brony when its something that doesnt need "Comming out". I find the whole idea of it insulting to Homosexuals who actually have a reason to "Come out".

I understand that the major opinion about MLP is that its a show for little girls and older people (mainly guys) shouldent watch or like it but there are many things in life that are "Supposed" to be for children that we continue to enjoy into adulthood but no one says anything about those.

If you feel that telling your parents would be a mistake for one reason or another then dont tell them but if you feel that you need to tell them and that they would accept it just do this: Walk up to them and say: "I like My Little Pony"

And then its done.

Thanks for leaving your point of view, now i know that, i shouldn't do that,i love your simpsons example it made me realize that is like (if you couldn't tell by my avatar) "I like Bleach", thanks again for your opinion, it really made my day, cause i know exactly what to do now :D

Telling mine wasn't a big deal at all, being a girl. After watching the first 10 episodes I went downstairs and I was just like "omg I've been watching My Little Pony and it's so great!" and they were just like "k". My dad still thinks that all male bronies are gay though.

Well I'll keep watching MlP, and if they come around to ask me what it is, I will answer them because i know my family, better than they know me, so i guess they'll understand, and about my friends I'll keep it to myself a little more, just because the are a little close-minded, if they find it out by facebook or something, I might as well just tell them that i like that show if they don't accept me, they weren't true friends :huh:

good idea :D

personally im very open about liking MLP:FiM, i wear pony clothes, there are Pony stickers on my car and laptop, Rainbow Dash hangs from my rear view mirror and my display cabnet is full of ponies :P

everyone is different and i understand not everyone can be as open (or just not give a crap what people think) as i am about MLP.

happy i helped you make your decision.

• Brohoof 1

I don't feel the need to come out and tell them. If they find out, then they find out, no point in pressing the issue. Just ordered a t-shirt so it will probably come up in conversation eventually. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

At first it was just me and my younger brother who watched it (He's 14). I told him about the show and the brony community, and he became a brony. Then later I finally told my younger sister (Who is also 14) about the show, she got hooked and she became a pegasister. However, one day she told my dad that I liked My Little Pony, and she told me that she told him. His response was basically, "That's kinda weird of him to like that...", but he hasn't said anything to me about it since. That was about half a year ago. My mom, surprisingly, doesn't mind at all. She finds it kinda cool. I told her about the bronies, and her response was, "Well, at least you have something that you like that you can express with other people, I don't mind." I've gone to the mall a couple of times and bought MLP stuff and she just smiles at me. Other than my whole family, I think a couple of m friends from school know that I'm a brony. I can honestly say that things have worked out better than I have expected about the whole brony thing for me.

When I saw the title two words instantly came to my mind. I don't. Sorry but I am more of closet brony...seeing as I am starting high school, playing football, and hanging out with my friends. Anything MLP or Brony does not appear anywhere in there.

i haven't told any one i'm kinda scared to... cause i feel like they would judge me horribly like im afraid to tell them :( like no one i know notices that i watch it and am a Brony :( i dont know what to do no one knows this about me should i tell them? or just keep it a secret.

when my dad found out he didnt gave a fuck about it but my mom didnt really understand me after that

But what ever :|

Are you alright? In all seriousness if there something wrong and your comfortable to tell us please do...

I've recently got into the show, and I'm not even a little open about it yet. My parents know I watch it though, but I didn't explained the whole thing yet, so I don't know what they're thinking. :|

They are kinda strict, and I'm not sure if they will understand completely how MLP and the whole community works. But I'm doing my best to build up enough courage and tell them. That'll be soon~

I'm sure I wouldn't be the kind of person that wear clothes, buy toys, and stuff like that. I never was and never will be that fanatic over anything. But I think it's very important to overcome the haters, the society's dumb point of view, and more important: the shyness, to not be afraid of telling anyone, specially your parents.

I dont think I will strait up tell my parents but kinda build up to it. For example, I found this awesome picture of rainbow dash as the rainbow in Pink Floyd's album cover to Dark side of the moon. I decided "F@#$ it!" and uploaded the pic to facebook. I actually got some positive comments and likes on it . My parents will probably end up finding it and ask what this is about. Its involving Pink Floyd, so how can you go wrong? If I was my parents, I wouldn't think this just some ordinary kids show that it gets teens like myself and create such art.

Then I would have to show them some references from the show, and stuff like how Discord was voiced by that guy who played as Q from star trek. I guess I can picture this turning out pretty well.

Edited by Thunderbolt
  • Brohoof 1

my parents are kind of to the point where they are happy that i am healthy independent and happy and pursuing things that will continue to keep me happy healthy and independent (from them). i also had a very "experimental" teenage period so for me to tell them i liked watching MLP they were not phased. my mom's response to things like that are usually "i'm not surprised, you are so weird, but i love you." lol. they had the same reaction to "mom i want to run away to california and become a pot farmer" (didn't happen), "mom i shaved my hair into a mohawk and dyed it pink (she said "its just hair"), "mom i think i want to get a pet pig, grow my own food, collect all my water in a rainbarrel, and keep chickens in the backyard" lol... some of that has happened... my parents are pretty cool and open minded. getting older helps with that :)

my parents are kind of to the point where they are happy that i am healthy independent and happy and pursuing things that will continue to keep me happy healthy and independent (from them). i also had a very "experimental" teenage period so for me to tell them i liked watching MLP they were not phased. my mom's response to things like that are usually "i'm not surprised, you are so weird, but i love you." lol. they had the same reaction to "mom i want to run away to california and become a pot farmer" (didn't happen), "mom i shaved my hair into a mohawk and dyed it pink (she said "its just hair"), "mom i think i want to get a pet pig, grow my own food, collect all my water in a rainbarrel, and keep chickens in the backyard" lol... some of that has happened... my parents are pretty cool and open minded. getting older helps with that :)

I live in California and you don't know the half of it about how much pot is here I mean it is RIDICULOUS.