Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Telling your parents you're a brony

Ezynell

My parents are really surprised/don't care that I'm a pegasister. Probably because a ) I am a woman b )They know I'm silly c ) I liked anime when I was younger so they were kind of already used to me watching cartoons. I think it is a lot easier for women/girls to explain their love for a children's show because, you must admit, it is a fairly girly show. :wub: Doesn't mean anyone should love it any less.

Edited by Mubbins

i live with my dad and he walked into my room when i was watchin MLP. he stops in the doorway looks to his left towards the tv, is silent for a few seconds then walks a littel closer and sits on the foot of my bed and starts watchin it! i wasnt sure what to say so i kept quiet waiting for him to say somethin about it.... after abotu 2 minutes he turns around and looks at me and says "this tv has amazing freakin graphics". then he gets up and walks away leaving me there wondering what he really thought. i still dont know XD

I will never tell my family or my friends i'm a brony.They may think i'm weird or even homosexual!!!It's something secret i will take with me when i pass away(when i die).Because when we mexicans find something weird or something unnatural for us,we behave the same way a male Triceratops does in mating season

Edited by Dino-Mario

Well, my brother showed me it one day, and he talked about it kinda openly in front of the parents so I assumed he told them. Turns out he only told my mum xD My dad came in and saw and just said 'What are you watching?' and I replied 'My Little Pony, for the win'. It was easier for me though cause I'm a girl so they can see the appeal more :)

My friends at school laughed though, when they saw my wallpaper, icons etc. It was an embarrassing day that day, but they've kinda forgotten :D

Edited by LittleGalaxy

I've explained OVER 9000 times to my parents why I like the show and yet they would STILL always go over to me when I was watching MLP: FIM and say something like "Why do you like this?"

Of course they stop acting like that now. THANK GOD!

(Off Topic Question: Is saying "Everypony" and that kind of stuff forced?)

Just the other day I told my mom that I am a Brony. We were out for dinner, when suddenly, i started acting a bit odd. Here is what my face probably looked like:

Posted Image

then i just came out and said it! i could no longer contain it, and I'm glad i told! after explaining it a wee bit, my mom was like

Posted Image

!

So basically she is totally fine with it :) and that artical explains it pretty well. Going to have to show her that one!

But i haven't told anyone else yet. One day...

• Brohoof 3

I've explained OVER 9000 times to my parents why I like the show and yet they would STILL always go over to me when I was watching MLP: FIM and say something like "Why do you like this?"

Of course they stop acting like that now. THANK GOD!

(Off Topic Question: Is saying "Everypony" and that kind of stuff forced?)

(Off Topic Answer: Eh . . . Comes natural to me now. Almost typed it in things that WEREN'T pony related even! ^_^ )

I find it funny (not literally, albeit sad) that even though we say that we have 'advanced' as humans, the mere thought of a male liking ponies--something that is 'girly'--is found and perceived as odd and deprecative by people.

There is nothing wrong about it; there is nothing weird about it. Yet, people are still prejudiced and resort to stereotyping and singling them out simply because of a cartoon.

Telling your parents that you like such an awesome show like My Little Pony should not be a life-altering decision. It should not delay or impede your life in any way whatsoever.

...and yet the notion is still there. People do freak out, people do become biased and judgemental, and people do make your life harder for liking something close to your heart.

As Winston Churchill said, though, 'You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.'

Be proud of yourself, kids! :)

[End of fillyphizing.]

• Brohoof 1

Tell her the truth! besides even if you do get set to a psychiatrist you could always talk about anything else that is/was bothering you.

the truth will set you free!

No, bro. Hide it. My parents made me go to a psychiatrist for some bullshit reason in middle school, and later when I went to work for one of those 3-letter government agencies I had to answer a bunch of questions about the whole episode. Fortunately they really wanted me, so they were willing to tolerate a little crazy.
  • Brohoof 1

I was visiting relatives, and we all watched Captain America together, except I kept walking out because it was so childish it annoyed me. The next day I showed some of the kids My Little Pony, sure that my family wouldn't make a big deal about it because they were reasonable and mature and all that. Wow. Wrong. So I told them, "You were all watching a movie about a weak guy who was turned into the One and Only Chosen-One/Great Superhero who was so bad-ass he could charge into a Nazi fortress and beat up all the Nazis, even the super-villain they invented because Hitler wasn't bad enough for them. And you are calling me childish for watching ponies." They didn't get it.

If that doesn't work, show them an episode of Friendship is Witchcraft, preferably episode 4 with Sweetie-Bot, and pretend it's the real show. They won't figure out that it isn't.

The tough question is: How do you tell your kids that you're a brony?

Edited by Shagbark
  • Brohoof 2

I was visiting relatives, and we all watched Captain America together, except I kept walking out because it was so childish it annoyed me. The next day I showed some of the kids My Little Pony, sure that my family wouldn't make a big deal about it because they were reasonable and mature and all that. Wow. Wrong. So I told them, "You were all watching a movie about a weak guy who was turned into the One and Only Chosen-One/Great Superhero who was so bad-ass he could charge into a Nazi fortress and beat up all the Nazis, even the super-villain they invented because Hitler wasn't bad enough for them. And you are calling me childish for watching ponies." They didn't get it.

If that doesn't work, show them an episode of Friendship is Witchcraft, preferably episode 4 with Sweetie-Bot, and pretend it's the real show. They won't figure out that it isn't.

The tough question is: How do you tell your kids that you're a brony?

By being direct or subtly explaining...well, depending on how old they are.

If they are beyond 'that age', simply tell them to...

:)

• Brohoof 1

Told my parents a couple weeks ago. Neither of them really care. My mom seems a bit weirded out, but my dad seems rather interested that I'm a brony. It's because he listens to this podcast where these dudes talk about internet-y things and they were talking about bronies at one point.

• Brohoof 1

I find it funny (not literally, albeit sad) that even though we say that we have 'advanced' as humans, the mere thought of a male liking ponies--something that is 'girly'--is found and perceived as odd and deprecative by people.

There is nothing wrong about it; there is nothing weird about it. Yet, people are still prejudiced and resort to stereotyping and singling them out simply because of a cartoon.

Telling your parents that you like such an awesome show like My Little Pony should not be a life-altering decision. It should not delay or impede your life in any way whatsoever.

...and yet the notion is still there. People do freak out, people do become biased and judgemental, and people do make your life harder for liking something close to your heart.

As Winston Churchill said, though, 'You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.'

Be proud of yourself, kids! :)

[End of fillyphizing.]

I agree with you 100%! I do think we have advanced and you know who I use as the example? US! The ones who pass judgment due to social constructs are irrational and backwards thinking. Look at the things we've created with the tools given us! Artwork, music, video game mods, professional quality stand alone video games, there is even a fan-made episode in production! (Yeah you heard me!) We wax philosophy and discuss religion on these forums. Religion! Yet everyone always remains calm and open-minded, that's like the Freemasons debating issues of humanity and equality in their Lodges when elitism and dogma were the social constructs. Same thing here, only now the debaters are much younger and the technology allows us to communicate seamlessly!
  • Brohoof 1

I agree with you 100%! I do think we have advanced and you know who I use as the example? US! The ones who pass judgment due to social constructs are irrational and backwards thinking. Look at the things we've created with the tools given us! Artwork, music, video game mods, professional quality stand alone video games, there is even a fan-made episode in production! (Yeah you heard me!) We wax philosophy and discuss religion on these forums. Religion! Yet everyone always remains calm and open-minded, that's like the Freemasons debating issues of humanity and equality in their Lodges when elitism and dogma were the social constructs. Same thing here, only now the debaters are much younger and the technology allows us to communicate seamlessly!

Exactly! I like the Freemason analogy--just because they are a group of people organized as a 'secret' society, the general public singles them out and concocts ludicrous theories about them. In a similar vein, 'bronies' are wrongly generalized by a handful of ignorants as pedophiles, rapists, et cetera, simply for not fully understanding a shared cultural interest.

There will always be backlash towards certain groups of people within defined societies, though. Humans will always be different, no matter if we speak the same language even. It is just human nature to formulate culture, and thereby opinions will tend to differ as long as we live in modernized societies. And I KNOW that we always will. (I am looking at you, John Zerzan!)

Anyway, all I say is, 'Buck it!' :) Who cares what people say? Do your own thing, and just be proud of whom you are. You are unique, and as long as people are willing to listen to your opinion, listen to theirs, too.

P.S. Should we create a group of ponies à la 'Freemasons'? :D

P.P.S. The 'brony' episode sounds awesome! I cannot wait!

• Brohoof 1

Exactly! I like the Freemason analogy--just because they are a group of people organized as a 'secret' society, the general public singles them out and concocts ludicrous theories about them. In a similar vein, 'bronies' are wrongly generalized by a handful of ignorants as pedophiles, rapists, et cetera, simply for not fully understanding a shared cultural interest.

There will always be backlash towards certain groups of people within defined societies, though. Humans will always be different, no matter if we speak the same language even. It is just human nature to formulate culture, and thereby opinions will tend to differ as long as we live in modernized societies. And I KNOW that we always will. (I am looking at you, John Zerzan!)

Anyway, all I say is, 'Buck it!' :) Who cares what people say? Do your own thing, and just be proud of whom you are. You are unique, and as long as people are willing to listen to your opinion, listen to theirs, too.

P.S. Should we create a group of ponies à la 'Freemasons'? :D

P.P.S. The 'brony' episode sounds awesome! I cannot wait!

I never thought I would say this but . . . . . are you me? :blink: You responded the same way I would if I was the one responding!

Oh and here you go . . .

Posted Image

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/03/anamatic-double-rainboom.html