Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Telling your parents you're a brony

Ezynell

I live in California and you don't know the half of it about how much pot is here I mean it is RIDICULOUS.

when i wanted to do that i was like 15 and just discovered drugs. becoming a pot farmer is no longer on my bucket list by any means haha. and just curious, but are comparing prices to other states where they have similar laws? or just saying it expensive based on your income? ive found most places in the US are generally (generally) around the same prices as they are in others based on how high up the chain you are getting your merch from (in states where it is illegal, as it is in my state). like if you are buying it on the street its much more expensive than if you are buying directly from the grower for example. but i think all drugs are expensive period, but most luxuries are, simply because they are luxuries. idk, just rambling.... btw what is the policy here on discussing drugs anyways? not about to go off on a SMOKE WEED ALL DAY rant or anything haha not to worry, but i don't want to offend anyone or break rules either. just wondering ^^;

perhaps i should play it safe and just not continue this conversation...

Edited by Bunches

• 7 months later...

I want to tell my parents but im not sure if i want to go for the 'hey mum, have you herd of the brony phenomenon' (cant spell)

Or the *waits till parents walk in on mlp*

Them - what are you watching?

Me - its a show that became very popular outside of its target demographic etc etc.

:P idk

But i want to tell the soon :D

To be honest I am not sure how either of my parents would react. I tend to watch a lot of shows that most of my family would not enjoy. However, I feel like mlp might be an exception due to the overload of cuteness :P

I am kind of a "closet brony" the only one who knows is my brother.

Edited by IamSanchO
  • Brohoof 1

I'm waiting for someone to walk in on me watching MLP so this can happen:

Them: WHAT ARE YOU WATCHING!?

Me: My Little Pony

Them: ISN'T THAT A SHOW FOR LITTLE GIRLS!?

Me: Yea so

Them: Oh ok

If you act like its a normal show they won't be concerned. At least, that's what I hope happens. I haven't told anyone yet, but I've  been dropping hints like crazy apparently no one I know knows any pony memes.

On the plus side my friends think I've coined terms like 'swag' from Pony.mov and Dash's '20% cooler'

My parents were a bit skeptical at first when they found out that I watch My Little Pony. My dad is still trying to take the news as slowly as possible, as my mom was like ëh, whatever. xD However, they both told me that I shouldn't be blowing a whole bunch of money on merch (as I was capable of doing so lmao) aaand I haven't...yet. 

Most of my family don't know that I'm a brony yet, I'm going to come out on facebook...eventually. 

my parents found out i was a pegasister (thats right! girls like mlp too!) when i was watching mlp on my ipod and my mum came in my room and i tryed to hid my ipod so she got suspicious and asked what i was watching so she said that she was going to check my history so i decided to admit my secret

Edited by Cocoa

No one in my family knows I watch MLP yet. But if they find out I'm not really going to care what they think because I think the show and the fandom are awesome and I'm glad to be a brony!

When I told my brother I was a brony, he called me "faggot" ever since.

When I told my mother, she really didn't care.

When I told my father, he asked questions about me being a brony.

Yeah I just told my mom and she was cool with it. She saw I had an My Little Pony belt and she asked if any other older guys watched it and I said yes lots! My mom is just a boss like that. cool.png

I was going to tell my mum but that quickly stopped after one thing she said.

Me: Mum

Mum: Yes?

Me: I was on Omegle with Bronys! biggrin.png

Mum: And what are they?

Me: People aged 13+ who watch My Little Pony.

Mum: What freaks would watch that? They are going to be messed up in a few years.

Me: ...I agree (blatantly lying sad.png )

(End of conversation)

Well it's pretty hard for my wife not to know that I'm a Brony as she's around me pretty much all the time, being my legal carer as well. When it came to telling the rest of my family, they were quite open about it and just chalked it down to me being myself, I've always been weird and awkward so they were cool with it :)

So anyway one day I was watching My Little Pony on my computer and my parents walk in and they said why are you watching a little girls show and I told them because this show is amazing and that ill never stop watching this show and they said alright and then they said have fun being a little girl.

So anyway one day I was watching My Little Pony on my computer and my parents walk in and they said why are you watching a little girls show and I told them because this show is amazing and that ill never stop watching this show and they said alright and then they said have fun being a little girl.

Wow your parents are mean. I haven't told my parents or anyone. In fact everyone I know thinks I'm an anti brony. Still I have people I can trust online.

My mom doesn't really give a sh!t. But my dad thinks its cute that I like it, he actually kinda likes it from the moments he walked by and saw it, his favorite ponies are Shining Armor and Pinkie Pie. :P So, my family doesn't really care too much.

In a very general form of way:

Me: Imma start liking ponies, k.

Parents: K

In all seriosness though, my mom found out one day when she picked me up from school, and I had this giant painting of Rainbow Dash from my art class to bring home.

"Hey!"

"Hi!"

"What's that?!"

"It's a painting I did in art class."

"What did you paint?"

"Rainbow Dash."

"What?"

"It's a character from a show."

"Oh, well alright then."

She seemed to be completely okay with it...

Now looking on it, I don't really know how my step-father found out... However, said painting is hanging on my wall.

Okay,

I told my mom, she doesn't give a damn at all, she likes the fact i'm part of a group that isn't bad. She supports me actually, MLP Merch, Bought my ticket to a MLP Convention on the 29th of march, she's a really cool mom :)

Now with my dad, even if he does know i watch MLP, who says you're told old for cartoons? he wouldn't get what a Brony is anyway lol.

He's seen me wear my shirts, which are insanely awesomewub.png .

My sister though gave me a "What the buck?" Look when she saw my shirt.. I only lol'd.

She didn't get it either, and she's 22 years old and watched MLP when she was a kid I think... I just went with it.

Other than that, the rest of my family don't know I'm a brony, but sister and parent's are enough.

None of my family know that I'm a brony, and I'll probably keep it that way. My step Dad thinks cartoons in general are stupid, (he won't even watch Disney) and would probably think I was gay for watching it.(wouldn't be a problem except that both my parents are homophobic. We're talking along the lines of 'all gays should be shot' levels of prejudice... F*** knows how I turned out OK...) I honestly think they'd be disappointed and think that I was some sad loner with no life.

They might find out eventually, though. I'm hoping to buy some MLP plushies and the TP graphic novel when that gets released in 2 months. I also really want to go to BUCK in August, though I'm debating it.

My mom saw this website in my favorites and asked me why. She told "If you're liking My Little Pony, I'll send you to a doctor or a psychiatrist."

I told it was an accident and didn't has the bravery to told her ever since.

Och, goodness.  :(    (From what I understand, her response sounds like it comes darn close to verbal abuse.  You have every right to like what you like.)

From what I've studied and observed; if you were to visit a psychologist worth his/her salt, they would most likely support your preferences in being your own person, for liking what you like, and probably even commend you for your love of a series that has at its core teachings valuing friendship and being a better friend to the friends you have.

The fandom's pretty web-versed, so my own parents didn't know what they were before I told them about it. When I first told my mother, she laughed and said "Really?" I explained some more about how it wasn't all dress-them-up and brush-their-hair like in the 80's, and that it was really well written and animated - I said "It's like Dexter's Lab". She saw what I meant, and hasn't had any issues with it at all. 

My dad found out through my mother, and I'm not sure what he thinks of it. I know he knows because he came in and we had the following conversation:

Dad: Hey Benoit, good day?

Me: Yeah, thanks.

Dad: I might buy you a My Little Pony later.

Me: That'd be great.

Dad: Cool.

Then he left. Still waiting for the pony. tongue.png There hasn't been much talk about it from my parents other than that, so yeah. They're cool with it. My mother has often spotted me on this forum, or on my Pinkie Pie-themed Facebook, and will only ever say "Oh yeah, those Little Ponies. Cute." 

Edited by Flipturn ツ