Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

is it just me or are some of this fanfic better than books?

Rory

ok so I have been listening to some of the Fanfics are better than actual books as in asylum is over and being made to have over 11 chapters that's already better than some of the actual published books in my school library  and most its a lot more entraining and im not just saying that because im a brony I mean really I understand like 90% of them scar you for life but there still better than most novels does any one else here agree with me? 

Um what

Just like there are a dozen of bad fanfics for every good one, there are hundreds of terrible books out there clogging up the good ones. I blame psychological and conspiracy theorist books for that, not saying that there aren't any good original fiction books out there tho. Not to mention that the fanfics more often than not are geared toward your interests, as in ponies, so of course you will prefer reading fanfics instead of the actually informative books.

So yeah, it's just you and your personal preferences speaking there.

• Brohoof 1

I've read certain fanfictions which are close to or even better than books in some cases, and it impresses the heck out of me that there are people out there who merely write for recreational purposes who can write so well.

But it depends on personal preference like @@Starshine mentioned. 

The other problem I tend to have now is that some fanfics I have read are so good, its hard for me to read other ones due to comparison's sake. 

This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

The thing about Sturgeon's law is that it doesn't only apply to fanfic. As the Nostalgia Chick pointed out, the cancer of YA paranormal romance continues to plague shelves around the globe. Of course a good fanfic is going to knock the socks off of crap like that.

I think I read too many books and too few fanfictions to be neutral about that...

And it´s true, there are a lot of amazign fanfiction writers, but I wouldn´t compare their work to actual book authors.

I mean, having the idea/ writing/ publishing a book requires so much more effort, and fanfiction witers have at least a base they can relate to (don´t mean to sound over the top, but it´s a question of fantasy).

Still, of course there is a hayload of books being published that don´t deserve to even lie in a corner of my room...

But there are just as many fanfics I better let my fingers from (and so I do).

I´d like the idea of a famous author being a brony and coming up with a fanfic, though, just to see if that would be amazing or just normal.

• Brohoof 1

Oh man I totally know what you mean. We got awesome fanfics like My Little Dashie, Hero of War and uh I'm reading one now called "On A Cross And Arrow. which by the way you should check out!laugh.png  It's always fun seeing characters put in completely awkward situations that they otherwise would never be in!

• Brohoof 1

First of all: HOLY RUN ON SENTENCE!

And, uhm, yeah. I have noticed that a few fanfictions can be just as great as a novel, and sometimes even better.

(But there are also some novels that are much worse than fanfiction : P )

like most of the others have said it really for every good fanfic there are a few bad ones

but i really enjoy reading fan fics more than books sometimes cause i don't feel overwhelmed when i dont see that i have tons of more pages to read before i finish and i feel i know the characters better in fan fics because i seen them on the show before hand while books  i learn more about the character as i go

I have only read two fanfics so far and both being Grimdark ones as well. Rainbow Factory and Cupcakes. I thought that Rainbow Factory was good while Cupcakes was less than stellar. I am also planning on checking out some more like My Little Dashie and Sweet Apple Massacre. I am excited to checking out some more fanfics. I do think it it is based on your own preference if you think that stories with ponies are actually better than other stories. Also I do not think you can really say they are "better" because it is extremely difficult to think wager that people writing a specific story is better than another. Just judge each individually I'd say.

(edited)

Books have been around way longer than fanfiction.  Generally, if you read every fanfic ever and every book ever and still like fanfics more, it's because you like what the fanfics are based off of.

That said, fanfiction is mainly all I read right now, and a lot of it is surprisingly good.  I was expecting a much higher percentage of crap, or maybe I'm just good at avoiding the ones I wouldn't like.

But fanfics could never compete with my very favorite books like Hatchet, Harry Potter, It, and His Dark Materials.

Edited by Dr. Eggnog
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

There are many good, but also many bad fanfics out there. I even read some outstanding ones. I think the reason why some fanfics appear to someone to be better than actual novels is because you already know the universe they are set in. You wouldn't read FiM-fics for example if you weren't already attracted by FiM. The author just needs a good story, good language and let the characters act in-character, e voila`, you have a solid piece of literature, that may be better than novels in your eyes.

And one , I think, very important thing is that in opposite to many novels, you saw and heard the characters before. You don't need that much of imagination to picture one of the characters you already know when someone mentions them in a fic.

Edited by StatesTheOblivious
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

You do have a point, some fanfics I have red are very good and are better than some books I have red. One in particular is the fanfic my little dashie. Personaly that is better than every book I have red up to this current date in time.

I understand what you're getting at.

For me, I honestly cannot get into a book/story that isn't applicable to my interest. If it doesn't relate to me in some way shape or form, I'm not going to have a good time reading it. Frankenstein is the most boring book ever! I'm just throwing that out there... dry.png

May I have the links to these stories you people think better than actual fiction books? That's just interesting. I haven't finished reading many fan fictions, but I've peeked on many fanfics and found that the writing styles were nowhere near the quality standard of published books.

If these stories are in the same level as My Little Dashie, I won't say so. My Little Dashie, even though I like idea, is overrated. The author only play with "This is Dashie, as a filly. A very cute and lovely filly. This man took care of her, but finally lost her. Cry for it!" It would have been much better if the author actually wrote a story about them, or simply said, add some events which make their bond stronger. It's just like... I raised her since she was a filly, she grew into an adult mare, and now she's gone. The end.

The best fan fictions I've read so far were just in the same level as regular published books.

• 8 years later...
  • 1 month later...