Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think the 2000's have the same nostalgia that the 1980's and 90's had?

Betez

I often hear from my parents that the 1980's were full of nostalgia. I mean, there was the NES, there were great movies, etc. I often hear from people in their 20s that the 1990's were nostalgic as well.

Yet I hear nothing about how the 2000's were any good.

Do you think they just happened too recently to be nostalgic, or do you seriously think that nothing creative happened then?

I'm seriously interested in hearing your thoughts.

why do we need to be nostalgic? we are going into the future and hopefully get more tech to make our lives easier and all around better to where we can come up with ways to end world hunger and just make tech cleaner and more efficient why be nostalgic when you can go forward.

Yes, it does. The 2000s have produced some truly moving and heart-felt movies that really hit close to home. But one particularly powerful movie was released, and then further refined, sealing it forever as a classic that we will cherish in our hearts and minds for eternity. It brought tears to our hearts and grasped us emotionally.

You all know what I'm talking about.

titanic-3d-poster.jpg

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't really see the point of this whole #80s kid 4 life!!!!! #90s kid 4 life!!!!!

I grew up in the 90s, but I barely remember anything other than Beanie babies being extremely popular and Pokemon, but that's it.

I remember quite a bit from the 2000s, I think many 2000s kids would remember iPods, 9/11, the early days of YT, when phones weren't smart (nor necessarily dumb), and the final days when Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, and Disney showed actual cartoons.

Edited by Another Creative Username
  • Brohoof 1

Plenty of good things come out of each decade it normally takes another decade to truly acknowledge the achievements and advancements during each decade. I feel that everyone's childhood is nostalgic so I feel there is some bias as well.

• Brohoof 1

The early 2000s oh yeah there was tons of things released in those years that I have very fond memories of. I would not need to even list anything because many already know what I am talking about. I like nostalgia and going back to things I did when I was younger. It has a awesome feeling to revisit old memories such as that or at least to me I think so :3.

• Brohoof 1

I have some nostalgia for the 2000's but not nearly as much as I do for the 90's it was when my life was at its simplest and happiest and it was also when entertainment wasn't going down the toilet. Yes there are still some good shows and there were bad shows back then but I seriously wonder what in the hell Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon and Disney have been thinking? I mean really Cartoon Network just cancelled three of its best shows recently I mean granted they still show re runs but those shows were just getting interesting the last good original show Nickelodeon had was Avatar and its sequel The Legend of Korra and I am yet to hear anything about the next season of that. And the only response that would be appropriate to Disney is to slap them repeatedly for their stupidity, was it really necessary to turn their network into a 24/7 teen drama Mary Sue/Gary Stu fest? And when is the last time they made a movie that was actually good? Thank God they sat back and let Marvel do their thing when they bought it out.

• Brohoof 1

Any era will have nostalgia to someone after some time. I don't think there's a single era where there wasn't some kind of memorable event or moment that people who were there can remember.

For my part, I grew up in the 90's so I have a bit more nostalgia for it currently as the 2000's still register as "recent" to me, but I can certainly point out a lot of stuff in the 2000's that I can and will remember fondly, especially as time goes on and it starts to feel more like "the old days" to me.

• Brohoof 1

Well to be fair, we're only a little bit out of the 2000's, so give it time. It can't be nostalgia when it happened only a few years ago. But I'm sure there will be nostalgic things from the 2000's. Again, you need to give it more time.

• Brohoof 1

well no. The leaps in technology will cause a blur. We usually can pick out era's of the past by things like Technology and Fashion. But the 2000's have been a giant blur if you ask me. Aside from things like cell phones and the internet there hasn't really been a "defining" moment of the 2000s which we can begin to mark from. Aside from maybe Y2K panic. Fashion has been relativly the same for the past 13 years we have had trends but none that have stuck around long enough to be a clear mark of the 00's. As time goes on we will mark the eras like they do in star trek. we are still in the 00's. Then the 2020's and the 2030s. Maybe im wrong but thats my point of view.

• Brohoof 1

It needs one more decade. People always get nostalgic for twenty years earlier. My guess is that people get the most nostalgic for their teen years when they are in their thirties, so the time when the current thirty-somethings were teens is the time that gets the most nostalgia attention in our culture.

In the seventies there was Happy Days, a show about teenagers in the fifties. In the nineties there was That Seventies Show, a show about teenagers in the seventies. It was in the early 2000s that all of the old cartoons from the eighties started getting made into new movies (with teenagers in them) and for a little while in the early 2000s there was a crappy show on TV called "That Eighties Show" (it was really bad and got cancelled). Now in the 2010s we remember the nineties with Internet memes. The only recent decade in which people didn't get nostalgic for twenty years earlier was the eighties, because in the eighties all the thirty-something's were too wrapped up in the cocaine-fuled, go-go greedy, status grubbing culture of the day to think about the peace and love of the sixties. XD

• Brohoof 2

I grew up as a little kid in the 2000's but I still remember some. I remember actual cartoons and original spongebob episodes. I can also remember watching my uncle play Metal Gear Solid 2, Final Fantasy, and Saltwater Sportfishing. I also got my gamecube with 4 zelda games, super smash brothers melee, and mario kart double dash. So I guess you can say that I do miss some of the early 2000s. Now to look and hook up my gamecube.

• Brohoof 1

They do. But the cool thing to say now is about how the 90s were the best, even though most of the people saying that were born in the late 90s and are too young to remember. :P

In a few years we'll start hearing about 2000s nostalgia though.

• Brohoof 1

I was born in 1990 and I remember a good bit from that decade but I also remember the 00 era too. I agree with people saying that in a few years the 00's era will become more nostalgic. 

Of course! Look at some things that needed a few years in the following decades to become real classics.

I can't wait until people frequently consider Halo, Coldplay, Avatar, or who knows what in sentences like "Do you remember back then..."

I mean I experience it myself. Pokemon, Zelda, Dragonball, TNG... ah, good memories.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, it does. The 2000s have produced some truly moving and heart-felt movies that really hit close to home. But one particularly powerful movie was released, and then further refined, sealing it forever as a classic that we will cherish in our hearts and minds for eternity. It brought tears to our hearts and grasped us emotionally.

img-1527712-1-titanic-3d-poster.jpg

Ey Harmy, that was '97. But yea, it was remastered a while ago.

Hell yeah the double-0s are nostalgic.

Arguably the best years for Serbian sport.

Also, this guy:

SpongeBob.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Ey Harmy, that was '97. But yea, it was remastered a while ago.

Hell yeah the double-0s are nostalgic.

Arguably the best years for Serbian sport.

Also, this guy:

SpongeBob.jpg

I see that now. I hated Titanic so much that I erased knowledge of it's release from my mind. Sorry for the error about that, Xaot.

(edited)

I see that now. I hated Titanic so much that I erased knowledge of it's release from my mind. Sorry for the error about that, Xaot.

Hated?

wacko.png

Titanic enjoys the title of "the best movie evaaaaaaaaar" in like half of the world. Including Serbia.

I haven't yet met anyone who doesn't like it.

I loved it so much when I was littler. A day wouldn't pass when I didn't look up something Titanic related.

Also, the fake sequel, Two the Surface. The trailer is so fuckin' awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD4OnHCRd_4

EDIT: Never call me Xaot agaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaain! xD

I prefer "Chetnik". :P

Edited by ~Хаотичан Четник~

I personally find the 2000s to be very nostalgic. In fact, I find the 2000s to be much more nostalgic than the 90s even though I really was a 90s kid.

Although perhaps I'm not the best example because 1) I was seeing the early 2000s as nostalgic like a year afterward and 2) I had something happen in my life that made me become super nostalgic for 2007 and before.

It could go either way. IMO the culture seemed a bit more...homogenized than in previous decades. Maybe that's because we're just coming out of the decade, but it seems like media (particularly music) was dominated by a few big names with smaller artists being sent to the wayside. There wasn't much defining in the arts, at least to me.

Technology made leaps and bounds, and TBH I think most nostalgia will revolve around technological advance rather than cultural advance.

Unfortunately, I think the 2000s will most be remembered for tragic events, like 9/11, the wars in the Middle East, the global economic crisis, etc.

Dude, I grew up in the 70's. As far as I'm concerned the 00's might as well have been *yesterday*.

As @@Princess Lona said, nostalgia tends to run on a 20-year cycle. So I'm sure in about five to ten more years there will be people pining for the 'turn of the century'. Hopefully I'll be retired by then, so I won't be forced to listen to them at work. It's painful enough with the 90's kids running around... wink.png

img-1527712-1-titanic-3d-poster.jpg

Back then, I didn't give a shit about the movie. I skipped to the part where the boat sinks and everyone dies :)

Yeah, I'm kinda fucked up.

Yea,I do. 90s...probably some of my fave cartoons of all time.....Rugrats, Courage The Cowardly Dog, Catdog, Ahh! Monsters, TMNT, The Magic School Bus, Arthur, Ren And Stimpy and many others....Back in the 90s if you didn't have a Nintendo gaming system in your house, you weren't cool....I had an NES and a PS1 and an original Game Boy...the grey "brick"Oh and we had a new coin introduced in 1996 called the "Toonie" it's a coin for 2 dollars.

the 90's were pretty awesome...but the 2000s wern't bad either...had The Matrix, Y2K...Smart phones. and on the bad side 9/11

Nostalgia is a feeling of affection for our memories of a time that's already passed. In the 70s and 80s, people were nostalgic about the 50s. Now they're nostalgic about the 80s. So it follows that, yes, eventually we'll have a whole generation that misses the 2000s as well. All things considered I'd say the decade was a low point for world affairs, politics, music and television alike. But believe it or not, soon we'll have a ton of people talking about Real World and the Black Eyed Peas as if they were the high point of American entertainment. (Scary huh?)

I was born in '98 so I can't be considered a 90's kid. Also, I hope we have no nostalgia for the 2000's. All it does is give an excuse for people to disregard new things and say how everything was better back then. That's including the 80's and 90's. I'm looking at you Pokemon and Silent Hill fandom. dry.png