Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Unhealthy music question

Keypassion

i herd of songs like those having negative impacts on children, but thats mostly for young children. the effects decrease a lot as you grow up and decrease even more as long as you have a good understanding of morals. if you know its just a song then i think you can enjoy them without worrying about them having life changing effects.

Those are pretty good songs. In high school, I got the American Idiot album from my mom and my dad was reading over the songs. He then says "why do you want to listen to a song called Letterbomb? Are these people violent? Why is there a grenade on the front? I don't think you should be listening to this! Who is this American Idiot they're talking about? Why are they called Green Day? Are they crazy tree huggers or something?"

I have not bombed anyone or done drugs after listening to them. As long as you take what you're listening to with a grain of salt and understand that some stuff is metaphor and symbolic, I think you're fine. I'd be more worried if you were really into gangster rap and took the words as your bible.

Gee, songs with those kind of titles dont attract me at all. Why do you listen to them?

O

Well, I used to listen to all of those, and I am probably the most mentally insane peerson out there SEEK A DOCTOR MAN.

on a serious note, no, no need to worry. and the same goes for anyone in here. crazy people listen to classic, I taught everyone knew this. not saying all people listening to classic is crazy, I am saying all crazy people listen to classic. no exceptions.

oh and to the people right above me talking about meat headed retards. you serious man? actually judging a mans intelligence by the lyrics in their music? there is no rule stating you have to be dumb to sing stupid things, or the other way around for that matter.

If by classic you mean classical then I guess you are right. Real movie psycopaths listen to classical music, people who listen to metal are just regular weirdos

oh and to the people right above me talking about meat headed retards. you serious man? actually judging a mans intelligence by the lyrics in their music? there is no rule stating you have to be dumb to sing stupid things, or the other way around for that matter.

That annoyed me a bit more than it should've.

1) I'm actually the only one making mention of it.

2) That was an example. The people I make mention to aren't meat-headed retards, but rather close-minded people - I'm just exaggerating this fact. In metal there is A LOT of hardcore fans (like in any genre of music) and often or not if you don't follow certain rules that were already set in stone you were considered a poser, faggot, piece of shit, etc.

3) I'm not judging a man's intelligence by the way they write lyrics. I'm judging the intelligence of a lot of men and women based on the actions they do when someone decides to not follow the norm of a certain culture. Seriously, 50%-75% of metalheads are often judgemental assholes who don't give a shit about what you think - if you don't agree with them, you're a faggot, end of story. A sad reality for the 25%-50% that actually keep an open mind.

Q: Gee, songs with those kind of titles don't attract me at all. Why do you listen to them?

A: People who listen to metal are just regular weirdos.

Edited that post a bit so that you realize you just answered your own question. We listen to metal because it's weird, different, and away from the norm. We appreciate it because it hits that nerve of ours that gives us some sort of pleasure when we listen that often just annoys/creeps out/infuriates others. And for the most part, we are pretty weird because of it.

Also, I really don't think you should be calling metal heads weirdos, as you are a part of a demographic that watches a girls show when they shouldn't be, along with many others that do consisting from many different age and gender groups as well.

...that really annoyed me. I'm sorry for that.

Edited by NeverNeverland

Edited that post a bit so that you realize you just answered your own question. We listen to metal because it's weird, different, and away from the norm. We appreciate it because it hits that nerve of ours that gives us some sort of pleasure when we listen that often just annoys/creeps out/infuriates others. And for the most part, we are pretty weird because of it.

Also, I really don't think you should be calling metal heads weirdos, as you are a part of a demographic that watches a girls show when they shouldn't be, along with many others that do consisting from many different age and gender groups as well.

...that really annoyed me. I'm sorry for that.

When i say regular weirdos, I mean regular weirdos, we are bronies, a different kind of weirdo.

Anyways, everybody is (or should be) weird on their own way. And the reason I consider you weird is for those songs that have titles such as "Rape song", "Go to hell" or "Hate me". They just plainly seems such horrible subjetcs, but I also do realize that those arent all of the metal songs there are, and only the ones with weird titles you have picked to show in this thread. A lot of bands have weirds songs, and it doesn't mean you like such band because of that song, I personally love the Beatles and they do have songs about a serial killer, death, drugs, and some random weird stuff that's just creepy and makes no sense.

So dont think I dont tolerate people who listen to metal or anything

Again, I apologize for this.

When i say regular weirdos, I mean regular weirdos, we are bronies, a different kind of weirdo.

A weirdo's a weirdo - period. Bronies, Non-Bronies, it's all the same. If you think otherwise, you must be very naive.

And the reason I consider you weird is for those songs that have titles such as "Rape song", "Go to hell" or "Hate me". They just plainly seems such horrible subjects, but I also do realize that those aren't all of the metal songs there are, and only the ones with weird titles you have picked to show in this thread.

That was to prove a point. If I'm able to listen to those songs without having any psychological problems, he shouldn't have a problem listening to Getting Away From Murder (despite my hatred for Papa Roach).

A lot of bands have weirds songs, and it doesn't mean you like such band because of that song, I personally love the Beatles and they do have songs about a serial killer, death, drugs, and some random weird stuff that's just creepy and makes no sense.

But the difference between The Beatles and, for example, Vektor is that The Beatles are able to attract a far bigger demographic as compared to Vektor, who can only target a niche demographic. While The Beatles do have songs about drugs and serial killers, they don't sound like this. They could sing about a guy raping his sister and they'd most likely be able to get away with it because it doesn't scare the shit out of people, while Vektor play songs based off of Sci-Fi Novels yet aren't recognized by the general music market as they sound completely 'grotesque' to common ears and therefore will only appeal to those in a niche market suited for high pitched singing and fast riffs; Metal. It's not just lyrics that can affect a person in a different way, music writing/structure is a big factor as well.

So don't think I don't tolerate people who listen to metal or anything.

I don't think that. That's just me trying to defend a genre of music that's been shat on repeatedly. Like any other mindless metalhead... :(

Edited by NeverNeverland

A great example of intelligent death metal (well, sort of death metal. I think it's technically some form of metalcore, but whatever. Awesome music by an awesome band.)

Lyrics are in the description on the actual YouTube page; you should read them.

I used to have A**l C**t on my computer back when Napster was free and they pretty much had the market cornered on ridiculous offensive song titles like *drumroll please*

I Sold Your Dog to a Chinese Restaurant

Hitler Was a Sensitive Guy

You Listen to Dishwalla and Everclear You're Gay

I Work at a Rape Crisis Center to Pick Up Chicks

etc. etc.

You get the idea.

The songs themselves actually weren't that offensive. Hitler Was a Sensitive Guy was just them singing the title over and over in a jaunty silly manner with metal music in the background. Of course I was 18 and I thought this was all hilarious at the time. Now I try to listen to music that I actually like lol.

**edited to censor the name of the band which is an expletive.

Edited by RainbowDolly

:blink: I listen to classical too.

congratz, you are now officially an insane person :D, jk :P

@NeverNeverland, I knew you where gonna bite me for that :P Well thats just what it looked like from my perspective there, I just wrote a post, and noticed yours right above and drew some hasty conclusions before running away. but my general opinion is that the kidn of music you are listening to have absolutely no saying on your state of mind. but maybe the other way around.

lets take your assumption of a number there, 75% of metalheads are judgemental a-holes. no just no. sorry, I just cant take that number seriously. unless you only count that really hard core that listen to bands like mayhem and stuff, then maybe. but if you are taking that number out of everyone that listens to some kind of metal? no. There are tons of different metalgenres. nightwish even is metal. most people that listen to a kind of music listens to that kind of music because they think it is good. the people that listens to metal, or anything else for that matter, just because it is "different" is one hell of a minority. but its a loud minority.

and why wouldn't the average metalfan be annoyed at everyone else when they constantly get remarks like "your taste in music sucks" or people telling them its just noise and screaming, highly uneducated remarks mostly by people taking their playlist from some kind of bestseller list. of course nothing wrong with that either but its not my thing.

now to the emo music people are talking about here. look it up don't argue. well, I used to listen to all of those things myself, I was never an insane person, I never hated myself, I never hated on others, unless they really deserved it, never been suicidal. no plans of getting away from any kind of crime, especially not murder, I was not a monster. and I could go on about all the things I was not and the bands was screaming left and right.

my point is, no one is any worse a person than someone else based on their taste in music. if you like metal, good for you, if you like Jazz, good for you, if you like classical, good for you, if you like blues, good for you, if you like dance, good for you, I don't care, I listen to almost all of it, so why would I think anyone insane for listeing to any portion of it?.

@NeverNeverland, yes, It might seems like this whole thing was aimed at you, but it was not, im just throwing it in there. the topmost apology was for you.

Edited by Sunnymilk

I knew you where gonna bite me for that :P Well thats just what it looked like from my perspective there, I just wrote a post, and noticed yours right above and drew some hasty conclusions before running away. but my general opinion is that the kidn of music you are listening to have absolutely no saying on your state of mind. but maybe the other way around.

lets take your assumption of a number there, 75% of metalheads are judgemental a-holes. no just no. sorry, I just cant take that number seriously. unless you only count that really hard core that listen to bands like mayhem and stuff, then maybe. but if you are taking that number out of everyone that listens to some kind of metal? no. There are tons of different metalgenres. nightwish even is metal. most people that listen to a kind of music listens to that kind of music because they think it is good. the people that listens to metal, or anything else for that matter, just because it is "different" is one hell of a minority. but its a loud minority.

Running Away? Now you've got my attention.

I said 50%-75%, not 75% period. And you're taking example from a genre that isn't very critical on others - Symphonic metal. Prog/Power/Symphonic/Alternative/Modern Metal don't criticism that much.

Thrash/Death/Classic Heavy (sometimes)/Metalcore/Deathcore/Doom/Black/Sludge/Glam/Industrial metal subgenre's are very critical of what you produce. A ratio of 10:5, which is double of the non-critics.

Yes, It might seems like this whole thing was aimed at you, but it was not, im just throwing it in there. the topmost apology was for you.

I can tell. The reason why I apologize is because it winds up that I'm the one screwing up most of the time.

And PLEASE fix up your grammar next time.

Edited by NeverNeverland

• 1 month later...

Should the titles of some of the songs I listen to raise concerns for my mental health?

Getting Away With Murder

Animal I Have Become

Monster

The Nobodies

Master of Puppets

Basket Case

Hate Me

Last Resort

Psycho

and Crazy Train to name a few.

take a listen to bullet by hollywood undead im not a huge fan of them but that song is great

• 7 years later...
On 2/11/2012 at 10:26 AM, Keypassion said:

Should the titles of some of the songs I listen to raise concerns for my mental health?

Getting Away With Murder

Animal

I Have Become Monster

The Nobodies

Master of Puppets

Basket Case

Hate Me

Last Resort

Psycho

& Crazy Train to name a few.

Not at all. I have not heard of a case where songs or moves has caused Mental Health issues.

• 3 weeks later...

Music should be a free outlet for anyone to express anything they want with no limitations and no one honestly has a problem with music that express people's darker sides. It's natural and healthy. And those titles are absolutely nothing compared to a lot of stuff i listen to.

Music is Music. Although I won't ignore the fact that sometime, words in the lyrics or in titles could be triggering to some people. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...