Are you in a relationship?  

599 users have voted

1. 1. Are you in a relationship?

• Single
    • Dating
    • It's complicated
    • Engaged
    • Married

I've been single for years, not because I'm still looking for a date, but because I want to be alone.

Honestly, I prefer being away from people, and think about my life, or do something else.

Edited by Caleb Urn

I don't plan to date anytime soon. It sounds far too time-consuming and tiring to deal with someone else's wants and needs. Besides, most high school relationships I've seen end badly because of immaturity, going to different colleges, and all that jazz. When I have a steady income, my own place, and enough time to find myself, then I'd like to date.

Personally I don't consider dating online a healthy relationship. Just my opinion. It rarely works out.

I'm engaged!! 

This is actually the first healthy relationship I've ever had really, I have a very bad history with being sexually/physically/emotionally abused, but the person I'm with now is so kind to me and wonderful and I absolutely love him! I really can't wait to marry him ;; Thinking about the future used to absolutely terrify me, but now thinking about it with him makes me feel so happy!

Single, as I was my 21 years so far. Everybody here is like "You deserve one" "You looking good" "If I where a girl, I date you" "You find your special somepony one day" And still here I am, single XD

I find it odd that people would be saying "you find your special somepony"...

Personally I don't consider dating online a healthy relationship. Just my opinion. It rarely works out.

I think this is a broad assumption to make considering everyone is different. 

I have had online relationships where the person behaved kindly to me online, and abused me once we got together irl 

I have had online relationships where the person behaved kindly to me online, and we got along nicely irl too, however. 

I've had online relationships that were unhealthy and emotionally abusive and I ended up never meeting the person, etc. 

The person I'm engaged to and I have many plans of things to do down in my state and in his and in abroad places, and it's a wonderful, healthy relationship. 

There are billions of people in the world, your special someone doesn't live 5 minutes from you. 

I think this is a broad assumption to make considering everyone is different. 

I have had online relationships where the person behaved kindly to me online, and abused me once we got together irl 

I have had online relationships where the person behaved kindly to me online, and we got along nicely irl too, however. 

I've had online relationships that were unhealthy and emotionally abusive and I ended up never meeting the person, etc. 

The person I'm engaged to and I have many plans of things to do down in my state and in his and in abroad places, and it's a wonderful, healthy relationship. 

There are billions of people in the world, your special someone doesn't live 5 minutes from you. 

It's a personal belief. I personally feel that you are kind of wasting your time with online relationships because that time could be used to go out and look for someone near you. I do not believe in "destiny" or that there is a "special someone" for everyone thus I do not believe in the idea that there could be someone who is "meant for you" across the world. I believe you decide who is meant for you.

I do not feel it's healthy because statistics show that long distance has a much higher rate of failure. It increases the chances of infidelity and the time spent on it could be spent out dating other people closer and gaining experience or spending it with a person.

That is my personal belief. I just don't believe the whole "everyone has their other half somewhere" idea. I believe you decide who you want, not some magical force. If you decide you want someone over across the world, then that's you deciding that, not destiny.

It's a personal belief. I personally feel that you are kind of wasting your time with online relationships because that time could be used to go out and look for someone near you. I do not believe in "destiny" or that there is a "special someone" for everyone thus I do not believe in the idea that there could be someone who is "meant for you" across the world. I believe you decide who is meant for you.

I do not feel it's healthy because statistics show that long distance has a much higher rate of failure. It increases the chances of infidelity and the time spent on it could be spent out dating other people closer and gaining experience or spending it with a person.

That is my personal belief. I just don't believe the whole "everyone has their other half somewhere" idea. I believe you decide who you want, not some magical force. If you decide you want someone over across the world, then that's you deciding that, not destiny.

I could waste time going on date after date with people who live near me or I could go online and find someone who shares all my same interests/has a compatible idea of what they want for their future which matches with mine and thus we can have a future together without our wants contradicting each other. I can do this much faster online rather than going from person to person within a 5 mile radius of my home and trying to find someone like that, when I could find them quickly online and actually, I don't know, be happy with them. 

Time spent with someone you love is not a waste of time, if a person is happy in their online relationship they are not wasting their time, they are being happy with someone they love. 

It might stem from me moving around often/being home schooled that I never really met people irl so I sought out relationships online (But those relationships start online, they don't stay that way.) And I'm also generally afraid of people and have a history of abuse, that could make me biased in why I think an online relationship is no more or less healthy than an irl one, you can be happy in both, you can be miserable in both. Maybe one should speak from experience rather than based off of statistics. At least, that's what I'm doing. 

• Brohoof 1

I would probably agree with "dating" online, since it's hard to know someone unless you know them IRL, but AFTER that, online is a useful way to keep in touch.

In my case, I just knew someone online on a forum through our interests, and it never occurred to either of us to be dating.  Then we both went to a comic convention one year (along with some other people from the same forums, as a get-together), and a connection between us formed there.  After that, we were able to stay in touch with each other online and occasionally visit each other or go to conventions together again.  Three years after we first met in person, I finally moved to her town, and almost a year later we got married.

• Brohoof 1

I could waste time going on date after date with people who live near me or I could go online and find someone who shares all my same interests/has a compatible idea of what they want for their future which matches with mine and thus we can have a future together without our wants contradicting each other. I can do this much faster online rather than going from person to person within a 5 mile radius of my home and trying to find someone like that, when I could find them quickly online and actually, I don't know, be happy with them. 

Time spent with someone you love is not a waste of time, if a person is happy in their online relationship they are not wasting their time, they are being happy with someone they love. 

It might stem from me moving around often/being home schooled that I never really met people irl so I sought out relationships online (But those relationships start online, they don't stay that way.) And I'm also generally afraid of people and have a history of abuse, that could make me biased in why I think an online relationship is no more or less healthy than an irl one, you can be happy in both, you can be miserable in both. Maybe one should speak from experience rather than based off of statistics. At least, that's what I'm doing. 

I have experience in the matter too. I am not knocking you, I am just sharing my opinions. If that's what you want to do, then some random person on the internet can't stop you, and I have no intention to. I am just sharing my opinion. However I would not say personal experience trumps statistics. All I'm saying is you decide what you want, if this is what you want, then by all means. I am just saying that I do not believe some magic force brought me and my wife together. I made that choice, and I really only got closer to that choice when me and my ex who was online (though I visited her) broke up.

We just have different opinions on the subject is all.

I have experience in the matter too. I am not knocking you, I am just sharing my opinions. If that's what you want to do, then some random person on the internet can't stop you, and I have no intention to. I am just sharing my opinion. However I would not say personal experience trumps statistics. All I'm saying is you decide what you want, if this is what you want, then by all means. I am just saying that I do not believe some magic force brought me and my wife together. I made that choice, and I really only got closer to that choice when me and my ex who was online (though I visited her) broke up.

We just have different opinions on the subject is all.

I understand ^^ I just think that "I had a bad online relationship therefore online relationships are all bad" < "Online relationships can be good or bad depending on the people involved" 

I'm pretty much single, and I'm fairly content with that. Granted I'm open to a relationship, though it would probably be more for companionship than outright romance. I prefer to let relationships develop naturally as opposed to rushing them due to emotions or what-not.

In any case my last relationship was online, and it last for about four years. Those were enjoyable times, but I don't fawn over them. I would prefer to start out as friends and really, just treat each other as such because without the friendship then what do you fall on?

But yeah I've had crushes here and there, so yeah.

• Brohoof 2

I understand ^^ I just think that "I had a bad online relationship therefore online relationships are all bad" < "Online relationships can be good or bad depending on the people involved" 

I don't base my opinion on my personal experience. I base it on what the general statistics show. Personal experience is usually the worst argument you can use. I lean more towards online relationships are more often than not a waste of time. Not to say all are, or even to say which specific ones are, just that a good majority are kind of a waste of time.

I don't base my opinion on my personal experience. I base it on what the general statistics show. Personal experience is usually the worst argument you can use. I lean more towards online relationships are more often than not a waste of time. Not to say all are, or even to say which specific ones are, just that a good majority are kind of a waste of time.

Then I think I simply misunderstood you ^^

• Brohoof 1