Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What if Big McIntosh is actually highly intelligent?

~StatesTheOblivious~

(edited)

I asked myself that question a few times now. Since he barely talks, it is often assumed that he is shy or reserved. I even read some... rather unkind theories that the is kind of slow. The latter simply can't be true since he tried to convince Applejack in avery honest but friendly way in "Applebuck Season" to not overexert herself. And he found the right and simple words in "Ponyville Confidential".

So, how is it that he rarely talks? Some even assume that it's because of his parents died. But why would he act in any different ways than just to say "Eeyup" and "Nope" then? Because of the situation? Because he is moody then? Or is it because he simply doesn't need to say more?

Think about it. A sign that some very intelligent people that I know share is that they do not really show off. Of course, that doesn't count for all. If he's simply modest and knows that he doesn't need to say more, why should he say more at all in most situations? Wouldn't that make his character very deep?

Edited by StatesTheOblivious

(edited)

Applejack did hint at him being highly intelligent in one episode by claiming that he is good with "fancy mathematics" and I think he has the hots for Twilight (smarty pants doll anyone?) And people or ponies in this case who are "slow" don't usually go for ponies with brains, at least not that I have seen. Him being quiet is due to his parents deaths is a real possibility though he may have been quiet and reserved even if that didn't happen so we really don't know enough to say that one way or another. I imagine Big Macintosh as reserved yet very spiritual and philosophical pony spending quite a bit more time thinking that talking.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy
  • Brohoof 3

Bloom said that the reason he is quiet is mainly due to the fact that he is very shy. If you notice, he rarely leaves Apple Acres. I don't believe he is introverted, however, as he is always around to help others and is more than willing to go out in public and be around other ponies. I believe, my little ponies, that he is just quiet. No more. No Less....

Though deep inside we know there lies within a heart of a beast! A strong beast that can snap at any moment! He will be inviting ponies over for liver and fava beans and no pony wille ver suspect the quiet one!

IT IS ALWAYS THE QUIET ONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He may very well be, actually.

As others have stated, he's essentially a subdued, giant, male version of Fluttershy.

P.S. - Wonder if he and Cherilee ever got together for real after the Hearts And Hooves Day incident?

Actually, I've seen Big Mac out of the farm area quite a few times. I guess the animators really only feel like showing him when it's a Applebloom or Applejack centered episode. Even still he's usually in Ponyville, especially since he's with Cherilee at the moment.

He's not shy though, he's just not one for words. (or a few)

He may very well be, actually.

As others have stated, he's essentially a subdued, giant, male version of Fluttershy.

P.S. - Wonder if he and Cherilee ever got together for real after the Hearts And Hooves Day incident?

I disagree, my little pony, for the simple fact that if he were a male version of Fluttershy, we'd see him running and hiding from most things when that is never the case.

I disagree, my little pony, for the simple fact that if he were a male version of Fluttershy, we'd see him running and hiding from most things when that is never the case.

I did say SUBDUED version of Fluttershy, didn't I?

Meaning similar, but nowhere near her extremes.

Also, much like her, his patience isn't limitless, as seen in Ponyville Confidential.

I've always thought of him as representing more of the "wise elder brother" archetype.  I wouldn't necessarily say he's more intelligent than the other characters, but more world-wise and knowledgeable based on his experience.  Though really we don't know much about Big Mac, for all we know, he could be university educated to do the farm's accounting

• Brohoof 1

Big Macintosh is simply the strong and silent type. Apple Bloom pointed out in Hearts and Hooves Day that Big Mac is really shy. It's hard to gauge how intelligent he is because he's so quiet, as his quiet nature really doesn't give us a lot of clues on his intelligence. He does display a laid back demeanor and is probably even more even-keeled than Applejack. He knew that there was no way that AJ could harvest all of the apples at Sweet Apple Acres on her own, to which AJ made a comment about "fancy mathematics." That could be an indication that he is intelligent, but I think it says more about AJ's less-than-desirable math skills. tongue.png

I don't think he's a dummy though. He's an expert at his craft and has a kind of wisdom that he just doesn't show very often due to his quiet nature.

• Brohoof 2

224576__safe_screencap_big-macintosh_che

There are some who still believe...

I don't think he's an intellectual or all, but he definitely ain't slow. He just doesn't have a lot to say.

• Brohoof 5

I don't think he's a dummy though. He's an expert at his craft and has a kind of wisdom that he just doesn't show very often due to his quiet nature

Not to sound like I'm going off on a pseudo intellectual tangent here, but I think that really gets at the question of "what is intelligence?"  If you've mastered a craft such as running a farm, I would think that would qualify.  People tend to think of intelligence as knowing lots of numbers and facts, but it can be more complicated than that

There are some who still believe

I want to believe.  They would be a nice couple 

• Brohoof 3

He is the farmer of many apples and a few words

Thats what he is

I dont agree that he is dumb

He represents hard working and sister love

Who is the one who farms apples everyday ?

Who is the one who help his sister applejack ?

He is just a nice good example of a worker

I've got an above-average intelligence and I don't talk very much. It's not about being 'deep' or 'wise' necessarily, or being uncomfortable speaking. For me it's just because I don't really have anything I need to say, and I don't like chit-chat very much. Big Mac has no problem speaking when he has something he needs to say.

• Brohoof 4

I think its just he's shy, As Apple Bloom said in Season 2 Episode 17 "Hearts and Hooves day". That Big mac is really shy. So that's what I have been thinking he's just shy, he's not slow,  he's smart in his own way like all ponies.

Big Mac is what we call a "noble" pony. He's blunt, but honest. His language can be reminiscent of Clint Eastwood, the only difference being that Big Mac's nicer with his diction at times. Yeah, this was the result of me reading a verbal reasoning MCAT passage. Yep. MCAT's taking over me xD

• Brohoof 1

The better question to be asking is: why would there be any reason to suggest that Big MacIntosh isn't or can't be capable of intelligence?

Lolbigmac..png

Look at it this way, aside from Applejack, the only other person that manages the farm is Granny Smith. And let's be honest its not a rag on her age, but The Apple family would be silly to entrust the care and security of their family and enterprise solely in the hooves of someone who's not quite as mentally, let alone obviously physically, sharp and fit as she used to be. 

The show may certainly overlook it, but managing a large amount of land, a farm and business and a family isn't easy peasy. Its a whole helluva lot of work and responsibility, managing finances and supplies, keeping the crop and property in good condition, making sure Applebloom gets the proper care and education, etc. Plus Applejack herself is at least on several occasions absent from the farm elsewhere, which means the burdens shift more heavily onto Big Mac. While managing a business and family may not necessarily require one to be "highly intelligent," it nonetheless requires a great deal of intelligence, not to mention responsibility, hard work, and perhaps some wits and savvy. 

Its not as easy as apple pie like pulling a cart as you might imagine. A lot of credit has to go to Rarity to for managing her own fashion enterprise. It takes a big person to fill Big MacIntosh's horseshoes. mellow.png

S2E05_Granny_Smith_speaking_through_larg

Applebloom and the Apple family business solely in her hands? Yea not happening.

• Brohoof 1

If Big Macintosh was actually highly intelligent, then he would have a very expanded vocabulary and be able to teach Apple Bloom at home about the history of apples and the knowledge that she didn't get in her school.

I think hes probably pretty averagely intelligent, certainly I don't agree hes slow really. But I don't think hes a super genius either exactly.

Hes just a shy and more quiet Stallion, a man of few words(Or stallion).

I don't think thats a proper way to judge his intelligence as being low or anything though.

I think he has a lot of knowledge, but he isn't necessarily intelligent. (I feel there's a difference between knowing a lot and being intelligent.) He knows a lot, but he just doesn't have a lot to say. That doesn't make him slow though.

I wouldn't go as far to say he's smart though.

Hm. After considering this topic a bit further, I would dare to say the following about Big Mac.

I feel that Big Mac's quiet nature is less to do with intelligence or "being slow" and contribute it to more of the fact that he probably was not raised around other ponies. If we think about it, when AJ's parents died, it would be understandable that as the eldest sibling, big Mac would have to take over the farming duties. This means he probably had to drop out of school at a very young age an stick to strictly working on the farm until AJ was old enough to help out in the duties.

There are a lot of young farmers out there who either had to drop out of school during hard times on the farm (you lose the farm, you lose everything) and there are those who never even went to college because the farm is their life. With Mac's parents either falling ill or dying, he had to take the reigns (HA!) and assume control.

It is not that he is "dumb" or "slow"; it's just that he is not used to interacting with others because of this. Hence the fact he is "shy" according to Bloom.