Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Weird Videogame Character names?

~Chaotic Eddie~

I was thinking lately about video game characters who have really, really weird names, like Poo from Earthbound, Nah from Fire Emblem: Awakening or Black Belt Nob from Pokémon Emerald. So I was wondering what the weirdest character name you've ever seen in a video game is. It can be any character from any game, just as long as it's weird.

So, fire away, let's hear 'em!

(edited)

Hmm, ok, let the assortment of weird character names begin!

- Redd White, the CEO of Blue corp in Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney. Amazing coincidence, a weird name, and PINK HAIR!... but yeah, odd name.

- Red / Blue / Green from the pokemon series. Kind of nice that they started actually giving the characters proper names in gen 2.

- Lan and Hub from the megaman battle network series. I know where the developers are coming from though, many computer related puns in that series.

- U1 from Gitaroo Man.

And I think that's all I can think of. For now, at least...

Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 1

I think one of the weirdest is Tingle from Zelda. I honestly hated any games with him in it. Well, I know that he's in quite a few games, but I just hate him.

Wakka from Final Fantasy 10

There were a few odd names in that game, but I found his to the weirdest...and funniest. Every time I thought of his name, I was instantly reminded of Pacman. Wakka wakka wakka

• Brohoof 2

Hmm, ok, let the assortment of weird character names begin!

- Redd White, the CEO of Blue corp in Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney. Amazing coincidence, a weird name, and PINK HAIR!... but yeah, odd name.

Oh come on, almost every name in Ace Attorney is a joke name. He has pink hair because that's the combination of red and white - Redd White. :)

---

Here are some names I reckon are the strangest:

• Brick, from Borderlands 2. I've been forced to conclude that it's probably a nickname given his brick-like muscles, because I honestly can't imagine a loving mother looking at their newborn child, knowing that it will affect her life in so many ways, and then proceed to name it "Brick". Does he have brothers called Tile and Claypot?
  • Grelod, from Skyrim. This name is just dumb! It's not an endearing name, at all, and sounds like the result of predictive text.
  • Linebeck, from Phantom Hourglass. Again, strange name that I can't imagine the naming process for. It sounds like something you'd use in a ball game. "Great attempt, but it just hits the linebeck!"
  • Brohoof 1

the great mighty poo from conkers bad furday.

damn it you beat me to that one xD

A name i always found weird for a videogame character is Moi from Harvest Moon, Tikal from Sonic Adventure, and Calem from Pokemon X and Y.

Every Zelda Boss. Ever.

I mean, who comes up with these names? Gyorg? Armogohma? Diababa? Those are only a couple examples.

They must punch their keyboards or something... mlp-tponder.png

(edited)

It's already been mentioned, and I've never played Earthbound, but Poo was always a weird name.

Soap MacTavish from Call of Duty, what the hell kind of name is Soap?

That's all I can think of right off the bat.

I'd mention Star Wars names from the prequel trilogy, but its not relevant to the topic. But there are some weird ones.

Edited by DeltaTangent
  • Brohoof 1

Redmond and Blutarch Mann- Team Fortress 2 (the founders of RED and BLU)

They were named after colors. (wow)

And, as well, Natu from Pokemon. Most creatove and odd one. 

And (already mentioned) the opera singer. The Great Mighty Poo. (yes that was the cutscene before the boss fight)

Final Fantasy is chalkful of characters with weird names, but Bartz's Japanese name(Butz) takes the cake. Speaking of which, "if something smells, it's usually the Butz"

Also Solid Snake if you love taking names/words out of context

Just to name a few:

Banjo and Kazooie~Banjo-Kazooie Series

Great Might Poo and Professor von Cripplespac~Conker's Bad Fur Day

Orbulon~Wario Ware

Klampons~Donkey Kong Country 2

Pigarithms and Hogarithms~Super Paper Mario

Everybody~Final Fantasy Series

Grelod, from Skyrim. 

Your mentioning Skyrim reminded me of another one: Vekel the Man. All the other nords have awesome names, like Uthgerd the Unbroken, Aela the Huntress or Mjoll the Lioness, but poor old Vekel gets Vekel the MAN. He's not special or anything, he's just a MAN. makes sense though, since he's a bartender at a pub owned by the Thieve's Guild.

• Brohoof 1

King T.V. Dinnah (Little King's Story)

Frank Sawhit (PW:AA)

Larry Butz (PW:AA)

Wendy Oldbag (PW:AA)

Ini Miney (PW:JFA)

Wart (SMB2 non-Jap/Doki Doki Panic)

Chase M. Downes (Mystery Room)

Olga Orly (AJ:AA)

Alita Tiala (AJ:AA)

Klavier Gavin (AJ:AA)

Wocky Kitaki (AJ:AA)

Winston Payne (PW:AA)

Shi-Long-Lang (AAI)

Shih-Na (AAI)

Quercius Alba (AAI)

Colais Palaeno (AAI)

Detective Dick Gumshoe (PW:AA)

Jacques Portsman (AAI)

Mack Rell (AAI)

Drew Misham (AJ:AA)

Battle Kid (Battle Kid)

Luke Atmey (PW:TT)

Soap MacTavish from Call of Duty, what the hell kind of name is Soap?

In their defense they did ask the same question in the game when Cpt price or whatever his name was first meets you :P

surprise i haven't seen it in here yet..

How about

"Lo Wang" from shadow warrior..

"Dr Proton" from the original Duke Nukems

"Dope  Fish" from Commander Keen 4

"Canuck" from Return to zork.

Pretty much anyone in the Zork games for that matter...

"Fippy Darkpaw" from Everquest fame

Just play Majora's Mask for the awkward boss names. Odolwa Goht and Gyorg.

In Pokemon I always found N the strangest name.

And GoGo from Final Fantasy.

Squirrel Girl in Okami. It reminds one of the Marvel character and is already strange on its own, but then you have her line of "Just looking at a wolf makes me feel less cold". Both are odd alone, but in concert it is like some unholy matrimony of weird.

If you guys think really hard, Wario, Waluigi, and Bowser are actually weird names. Who names their kid Waluigi? It's like the anti-Luigi, which he is! Same with Wario! And Bowser... yeah.