Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Twilght going to be corrupted

Clifford Beats

What an interesting topic...sure i'll give it a go! :)
Well, unlike Luna, Twilight Sparkle has way more common sense than to let herself be corrupted by jealousy. (No offense to any Luna fans). 
She may have been a princess for a short time now, but it would make an interesting episode where the Mane 5 come to save the day for a change, saving our main character. 
Twilight is always stealing the credit away from the Mane 5, and I think it may be about time they get their fair share.

Edited by Nature Of Fluttershy
  • Brohoof 5

I've heard a rumor that celestia would become corrupted, and that twilight would have to un-corrupt her. i don't know officially about anypony becoming corrupt, though. only heard the celestia thing once. and none about twilight.

That could make for a good story, but it depends on the execution. Say if someone were to become corrupted and she gave herself up to save her friends. That would be good. But if she is corrupted through her own power. That may be a bit stale and over done. What ever happens I'm sure the writers will do a good job.

There already are some hints that Twilight might have a helping hoof in undoing (or at the least, learning the process of) Luna's corruption and de-corruption between her and Nightmare Moon. There's the precedent that even alicorns can be corrupted, so she's certainly not immune from that risk. If she does get her 'chance' at being corrupted, it would sure be a tense cliffhanger episode, I would imagine. 

Anyone else thinking of a "Best of Both Worlds" scenario, a la ST: TNG?

I actually think that would be an interesting plot point.

I mean, Twilight is a pony with immense magical powers and lots of potential, and she just got granted the gift of Alicornhood.

Now, I'm not saying the power will naturally start to go to her head, but what if it's more than she can handle and it takes ahold of her and makes her go corrupt? Maybe she gets scared and angry and just feels that she can't handle the responsibility and needs her friends to come save her and bring her back to the light?

I think it could work, most definitely. They could also go from an angel that Twilight becomes interested in dark magic, like the kind that Sombra wielded, and tries experimenting with it. Of course, that has nothing to do with Alicornhood, but it would be an interesting episode nonetheless.

• Brohoof 1

Well, unlike Luna, Twilight Sparkle has way more common sense than to let herself be corrupted by jealousy. (No offense to any Luna fans). 

She may have been a princess for a short time now, but it would make an interesting episode where to Mane 5 come to save the day for a change, saving our main character. 

Twilight is always stealing the credit away from the Mane 5, and I think it may be about time they get their fair share.

I agree! It would be nice to see the Mane five in action, coming to save the main character! I like the way you think, I never thought of it that way.  :yay:

• Brohoof 1

I agree, Rainblow Hash. In fact, the fact that she has extremely high potential magic power might lead to a sudden "growth spurt" of immense magical power, which might naturally go right to her head. It would tie into the natural phases of growing up, and how sudden spurts in growing may lead to sudden changes in mood, temperament and attitude. 

It's a bit heavy-handed, but it would be an interesting take on showing how dark magic is just as necessary and vital as light magic, and also go towards explaining how Celestia is shown to be perfectly capable of using it as in the Crystal Kingdom episode.

• Brohoof 2

I think that Twilight become corrupted if, she does start to crack under pressure when she has to start making decisions. So, there could be a possibility.

I agree, Rainblow Hash. In fact, the fact that she has extremely high potential magic power might lead to a sudden "growth spurt" of immense magical power, which might naturally go right to her head. It would tie into the natural phases of growing up, and how sudden spurts in growing may lead to sudden changes in mood, temperament and attitude. 

It's a bit heavy-handed, but it would be an interesting take on showing how dark magic is just as necessary and vital as light magic, and also go towards explaining how Celestia is shown to be perfectly capable of using it as in the Crystal Kingdom episode.

Great point about dark magic! In fact, I think they should also cover how Discord's chaotic magic, which lies somewhere between light and dark magic, can be used for good as well. Celestia mentioned that that was the reason she wanted Discord to turn to good (well, mostly good), so I'd love to have an episode that demonstrates that all types of magic are necessary.

As for Twilight, the growth spurt idea is pretty good too. I'm not sure if becoming an Alicorn means you get a magic boost just because, but I think it would be cool if Twilight gained so much power that she just didn't know where to put it all.

• Brohoof 1

Great point about dark magic! In fact, I think they should also cover how Discord's chaotic magic, which lies somewhere between light and dark magic, can be used for good as well. Celestia mentioned that that was the reason she wanted Discord to turn to good (well, mostly good), so I'd love to have an episode that demonstrates that all types of magic are necessary.

As for Twilight, the growth spurt idea is pretty good too. I'm not sure if becoming an Alicorn means you get a magic boost just because, but I think it would be cool if Twilight gained so much power that she just didn't know where to put it all.

Yes, it would almost be akin to explaining how the sun/moon, light/shadow, etc exist in a balance, rather than as 'enemies'. Chaos magic does seem to be right on the center of the scale, seeing how Discord is shown to be perfectly able to be both a force for positive and negative. And how even after his reform, he still is shown to still have his mischievous streak going.

That's what made the introduction of the Changelings such a thrill to me, with them being almost polar opposites of Pony society and a potential balancing force to them. Twilight may even start to take on the vague appearance of a Changeling as her corruption takes hold, who knows?  

• Brohoof 1

Yes, it would almost be akin to explaining how the sun/moon, light/shadow, etc exist in a balance, rather than as 'enemies'. Chaos magic does seem to be right on the center of the scale, seeing how Discord is shown to be perfectly able to be both a force for positive and negative. And how even after his reform, he still is shown to still have his mischievous streak going.

That's what made the introduction of the Changelings such a thrill to me, with them being almost polar opposites of Pony society and a potential balancing force to them. Twilight may even start to take on the vague appearance of a Changeling as her corruption takes hold, who knows?  

Exactly! Since balance is a pretty big force in Equestria, such as between the three tribes of ponies, it would only be natural that such a requirement for balance exists in multiple aspects of Equestria.

Hmm... interesting. What if Changelings were ponies who didn't know how to love and thus got corrupted and needed other ponies in order to feed off of their love? So many different theories could erupt if it turns out Changelings were once ponies... or even vice-versa!

• Brohoof 2

Exactly! Since balance is a pretty big force in Equestria, such as between the three tribes of ponies, it would only be natural that such a requirement for balance exists in multiple aspects of Equestria.

Hmm... interesting. What if Changelings were ponies who didn't know how to love and thus got corrupted and needed other ponies in order to feed off of their love? So many different theories could erupt if it turns out Changelings were once ponies... or even vice-versa!

Hmmm, very interesting indeed! I remember reading another post about whether they could be considered alicorns, as each Changeling we've seen so far has a horn and wings as well as at least rudimentary magic control, including transformation and explosive spells. Stands to reason that they also have other more constructive spells at their disposal.

I would be interested if there were an evolution chart of which came first... almost like a chicken and egg riddle. :huh: 

I'd imagine that ponies may be an offshoot from changelings, as they show further specialization skills and traits, while the changlings show more general, -spread-across-the-board skills.

• Brohoof 1

Hmmm, very interesting indeed! I remember reading another post about whether they could be considered alicorns, as each Changeling we've seen so far has a horn and wings as well as at least rudimentary magic control, including transformation and explosive spells. Stands to reason that they also have other more constructive spells at their disposal.

I would be interested if there were an evolution chart of which came first... almost like a chicken and egg riddle. :huh:

I'd imagine that ponies may be an offshoot from changelings, as they show further specialization skills and traits, while the changlings show more general, -spread-across-the-board skills.

Wow, good point! For some reason I wasn't thinking about how both Alicorns and Changelings have wings and horns... what if Queen Chrysalis was once the ruler of Equestria as an Alicorn, and she became corrupted and turned into a Changeling? Or reverted into one, if Changelings came first.

An evolution chart? Random Brony artist, get on that!

I'm not sure who would've come first myself, but that's a good start. There's so many different ways it could work... maybe ponies were Changelings who tired of copying others and wanted to be their own self for once. I dunno. But it's awesome to think about!

• Brohoof 1

I would like to see it in an episode.  

That never really occurred to me at all.   Actually that would be pretty awesome!  

I think if it happens it should have something to do with her experimenting with dark magic and something going really wrong.  She gets consumed by the dark magic and becomes like Sombra.  The Elements of harmony wouldn't work because they don't have the element of magic, the biggest challenge will be fighting their best friend.  

• Brohoof 1

Wow, good point! For some reason I wasn't thinking about how both Alicorns and Changelings have wings and horns... what if Queen Chrysalis was once the ruler of Equestria as an Alicorn, and she became corrupted and turned into a Changeling? Or reverted into one, if Changelings came first.

An evolution chart? Random Brony artist, get on that!

I'm not sure who would've come first myself, but that's a good start. There's so many different ways it could work... maybe ponies were Changelings who tired of copying others and wanted to be their own self for once. I dunno. But it's awesome to think about!

Yeah, it's another heavy topic to touch on, whether the better society is one where individual spirit and self-expression (ponies) is encouraged or whether collective effort and communal harmony (changelings) is more valued. 

I'm sure I can try to set up a flowchart map for starters in a couple days! Not much of an artist myself, but a small chart to start it up couldn't hurt!

Hmmmm, either way, that would be a big reveal episode, revealing that a supposed 'mortal enemy' of Celestia/Equestria would share a common history with them!

• Brohoof 1

That never really occurred to me at all.   Actually that would be pretty awesome!  

Yes indeedy!

Yeah, it's another heavy topic to touch on, whether the better society is one where individual spirit and self-expression (ponies) is encouraged or whether collective effort and communal harmony (changelings) is more valued. 

I'm sure I can try to set up a flowchart map for starters in a couple days! Not much of an artist myself, but a small chart to start it up couldn't hurt!

Hmmmm, either way, that would be a big reveal episode, revealing that a supposed 'mortal enemy' of Celestia/Equestria would share a common history with them!

Yes, that would be a super heavy topic... I don't know if My Little Pony would cover a topic that big, but it would be awesome if they did.

Coolness. Can't wait to see it!

That would be incredible! Wonder how they would react to that revelation... I almost would be tempted to say that she actually turns out to be their mother, but I think that might be going a tad far!

This is getting super-off topic though... at least I think it is. It is related, but... let's get back to Twilight!

• Brohoof 1

Yes indeedy!

Yes, that would be a super heavy topic... I don't know if My Little Pony would cover a topic that big, but it would be awesome if they did.

Coolness. Can't wait to see it!

That would be incredible! Wonder how they would react to that revelation... I almost would be tempted to say that she actually turns out to be their mother, but I think that might be going a tad far!

This is getting super-off topic though... at least I think it is. It is related, but... let's get back to Twilight!

Yes, back to the original point of the post! 

It might be a bit of a heavy topic for a "kid's show", but getting back to Twilight, we know she's destined for bigger and greater things, as per her 'ascension' into alicorn-hood, so would (one of) her grand-scale acts be gaining an offer of peace between Equestria and the Changeling Kingdom? (Which I've come to dub, "Changenya")

• Brohoof 2

There are plenty of ways and reasons Twilight could be corrupted, and since the fallen hero archetype is quite common it is not entirely unprecedented. If done correctly it could add significantly to Twilight's character, could prove that some of Luna's concerns may have been correct and that Celestia is not perfect either as she clearly thought Twilight was ready to take on that level of responsibility. 

• Brohoof 1

She may have been a princess for a short time now, but it would make an interesting episode where the Mane 5 come to save the day for a change, saving our main character. 

So it's not mane 6 anymore? That's what has me worried. Is Twilight not going to be a main character? She might become a background character.

So it's not mane 6 anymore? That's what has me worried. Is Twilight not going to be a main character? She might become a background character.

I wasn't implying that not the slightest, i'm saying that the other Mane 5 try just as hard as Twilight...only difference is they aren't apprentices of Celestia.

But non of them get as much credit...there has been times where the Mane 6 used the Elements of Harmony to defeat (Ex. Nightmare Moon, Discord, etc) other villians. Who gets all the credit? Non other than Twilight Sparkle...but isn't that how it's supposed to be? The main character gets all the credit while their friends get nada?

That's what I'm trying to say...nothing against Twilight...

Edited by Nature Of Fluttershy

Well its always possible Twilight could become evil, but I don't think it'll be like a jealousy thing, infact i'm more to think Twilight may become evil due to something like dark magic corrupting her by accident, or her accidental lack of knowledge causing something evil to consume her, or just a villain to control her making her corrupt and evil.

I think though through her teachings Twilight has become pretty unlikely to fall to most forms of evil, so I think it would take a good bit to make her evil.

however the possibility is still plenty there, and i wouldn't mind seeing twilight corrupted sometime in the show, just as long as they do it right.

• Brohoof 2

It's been done before in a sense that the mane 6, Twilight included, have been corrupted by a main villain, ie Discord. The only change now is that Twilight is an alicorn, a powerful being with the title of princess. It doesn't change the fact that Twilight can be coerced, bribed, persuaded, and belittled. In many ways she can be corrupted, not that it would be easy.

There are multiple ways she could turn to the dark side, it's just whether or not it would be sense to do this again. Discord had already broken her spirit before, turning her into a depressed, self-loathing gray pony. We've already seen Nightmare Moon being the overtly jealous, evil sorceress. What else could you do for a corrupted character? 

Well its always possible Twilight could become evil, but I don't think it'll be like a jealousy thing, infact i'm more to think Twilight may become evil due to something like dark magic corrupting her by accident, or her accidental lack of knowledge causing something evil to consume her, or just a villain to control her making her corrupt and evil.

I think though through her teachings Twilight has become pretty unlikely to fall to most forms of evil, so I think it would take a good bit to make her evil.

however the possibility is still plenty there, and i wouldn't mind seeing twilight corrupted sometime in the show, just as long as they do it right.

Her teachings have taught her to be resistant to most forms of outside control, but who's to say that her newfound powers as an alicorn won't give her a sudden ego rush? It would take just a slight tip towards arrogance to start her tumbling towards the dark side. It would also be a way of teaching viewers that just power alone doesn't make somepony automatically good, but the way they handle such power that makes them good or bad.

It would also give the other Mane 6 ponies a chance to shine as well.  

• Brohoof 2

Switching between Mane 5 and 6 is just a shorthand for fans. The mane 6 is all of them and mane 5 is minus Twilight when you're talking about her in relation to her friends. I guess you can use it to refer to any one the mane 6 but it tends to mean you're taking about Twi.