Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why doesn't twilight understand dogs can't talk? In equestria they can't either.

Never2muchpinkie

When you think about it logically, in ponyville the only dog we see, or at least that I remember seeing, is Wynona. Wynona barks like a dog should. So why is she so surprised that the dog hierarchy and their inability to talk hasn't changed in the human world?  Sure Spike can still talk, but he's not actually a dog. He's a dragon and already had the ability of speech. The mirror just gave him a form that would fit in more with that world, just like how Twilight became a human and lost her unicorn horn and wings.

Actually, I've never seen that dog-pony "hierarchy" in Equestria worked the same as dog-human "hierarchy".

In every scene Winona appears, she's never kept on a leash and her interactions with Applejack for example seem to be much more eye-leveled. The same is for most interactions between ponies and animals and the behavior of the animals. Fluttershy and her animals for example. How Equestrian animals act seems to be pretty different from how human-world animals act.

That's why Twilight was so surprised. And the fact that she didn't know anything about that place before. From what she knew after she was transformed, talking dogs could have been possible in that world, until she was proven otherwise.

Twilight probably doesn't understand dogs just like how Twilight knew that ponies know little to nothing about dragons. Animals in general act differently in Equestria's universe than our universe. I could be wrong, though.

Given that Equestria has magic. It's not impossible for Twilight to use some spell to allow Wynona to talk in English. A lot of things she doesn't understand is that it's a whole other world where magic is absent.

Well, the only time it really comes up in the movie is when Fluttershy asks about knowing what he's thinking and Twilight says he usually tells her; from that, I assume it's more Twilight just giving the immediate answer that came to mind and forgetting briefly that he had become a dog.

• Brohoof 1

I just don't understand the difference between pets and 'people' in the Pony universe in general. Winonna is apparently a pet but the Diamond Dogs are 'people' but they're both dogs and everybody is an animal. 

When it comes Winona vs the diamond dogs.

the diamond dogs have more of a goblin sort of thing that had a very dog like appearance.

Where as Winona was a straight up domestic dog. Chances are that Winona is the more a-typical dog in this situation where the diamond dogs are more of another fantasy creature of sorts like most else in Equestria.

Well, the only time it really comes up in the movie is when Fluttershy asks about knowing what he's thinking and Twilight says he usually tells her; from that, I assume it's more Twilight just giving the immediate answer that came to mind and forgetting briefly that he had become a dog.

I was thinking this too.

Twilight usually doesn't see Spike as a dog, so it probably hadn't fully clicked in her mind yet that he was one. Especially on a snap response such as was made.