Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Steam Machine/Steambox Confirmed! Also Steam OS!

Norman

It looks like Steam will be entering the world of consoles (or something like it) in the near future with the new and mysterious "Steam Machines".

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamMachines/

Do you think it'll just be a generic console? I certainly don't. I think the Steambox is going to be a completely new type of console, though due to the lack of information this far I cannot speculate accurately. It's also noteworthy that while Nintendo has been circling the drain in the console market and Sony/Microsoft seem to be creating rather generic devices I certainly think that there's a gap there that Valve could definitely fill. I think the Steam Machine could be the future of console gaming. I also think it will be a blend of the PC and the console, which will attract crowds from all around.

Also, Steam is making a new operating system. Presumably, this will be primarily for the purpose of their new console line. 

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

• Brohoof 1

I hope that Valve don't do anything reckless here.

You mention that this could be the future of console gaming,this isn't a good thing!!

I have played console for years and pc for years and if there's one thing I have learned

Console=Power Struggle

PC=Free world.

I hope that Valve don't do anything reckless here.

You mention that this could be the future of console gaming,this isn't a good thing!!

I have played console for years and pc for years and if there's one thing I have learned

Console=Power Struggle

PC=Free world.

These will be upgradeable, though. Users can customize the hardware, as they can customize the hardware of their PCs. Don't worry about it.

For starters, it's not a console. It's a PC running a Linux distribution which Valve have just flavoured to their liking. These PC's that steam are branding as 'Steam Machines' can still run Windows and do much more than consoles can as well as being much more powerful than any console available.

TL;DR - These are not consoles, they are PC's with Linux on. More power to the open source world :'D

• Brohoof 2

These will be upgradeable, though. Users can customize the hardware, as they can customize the hardware of their PCs. Don't worry about it.

I'm happy they are allowing customisation and fair enough Valve haven't made any massive mistakes in the past. Fair enough I'll probably get it if it's affordable and good.

For starters, it's not a console. It's a PC running a Linux distribution which Valve have just flavoured to their liking. These PC's that steam are branding as 'Steam Machines' can still run Windows and do much more than consoles can as well as being much more powerful than any console available.

TL;DR - These are not consoles, they are PC's with Linux on. More power to the open source world :'D

They sound a lot like consoles. "In the living room" and "Mouse and keyboard optional" sounds quite a bit like a console. And since we still have so little information about it I'd say it'll most likely be more of a console.

• Brohoof 1

They sound a lot like consoles. "In the living room" and "Mouse and keyboard optional" sounds quite a bit like a console. And since we still have so little information about it I'd say it'll most likely be more of a console.

Consoles are limited to games and other basic computing functionality that is locked to one operating system (USUALLY). This is not a console by any merit. You can use a keyboard, mouse and a gamepad and it can run any OS and do anything you want it too. The primary focus is playing games but it can do and be so much more than that.

This is not a console, not in anyway shape or form.

Consoles are limited to games and other basic computing functionality that is locked to one operating system (USUALLY). This is not a console by any merit. You can use a keyboard, mouse and a gamepad and it can run any OS and do anything you want it too. The primary focus is playing games but it can do and be so much more than that.

This is not a console, not in anyway shape or form.

Wikipedia's definition of a console is "an interactive computer which is used with a display devices (like a monitor or television) designed for the purpose of gaming". 

I believe it will be a mix between consoles and PCs, but I'm fairly certain it will be a console. Also, last I checked you can attached a mouse and keyboard to your console. The only thing that'll be considerably different will be customization (based off of the little info we have this far). And we don't know that it will be "so much more than that". We only have a vague idea to what it is, and a lot of it points to a more console like device with many PC elements. 

You try attaching a mouse and keyboard to an Xbox 360 or PS3 and play a game with it and tell me how far you get.

The steam machine is going to be something like the Xi3 piston prototype that was demoed either earlier this year or last year and that was not a console. It was a mini-ITX computer that was powerful as fuck. The steam machine will not be a console.

You try attaching a mouse and keyboard to an Xbox 360 or PS3 and play a game with it and tell me how far you get.

The steam machine is going to be something like the Xi3 piston prototype that was demoed either earlier this year or last year and that was not a console. It was a mini-ITX computer that was powerful as fuck. The steam machine will not be a console.

How do you know it won't be the same with the Steambox? It does heavily indicate that they aren't aiming to use the mouse and keyboard as their main control system.

As for that, how do you know? We have practically NO information. I can drag out specific quotes indicating a more console like system whereas it's more difficult to find ones that indicate a PC approach.

Read that and point me out where they refer to the system as a console at any point.

Here's a lovely quote, tell me which modern console you can do this with? The PS3 obviously had Linux capabilities but that was back in the day and has since been stopped. And yes, it's not going to operate the same as a console by stopping users from using a mouse and keyboard.

Can I hack this box? Run another OS? Change the hardware? Install my own software? Use it to build a robot?
Sure.

Am I going to be using a mouse and a keyboard in the living-room?
If you want. But Steam and SteamOS work well with gamepads, too. Stay tuned, though - we have some more to say very soon on the topic of input.
Edited by Ella.Smith
  • Brohoof 2

Neither of those are new features to a PC. Why would they build a regular PC? Surely that would flunk. 

"A powerful new category of living-room hardware is on the horizon."

That's the keyword for me. Living-room hardware is basically what a console is. It's a simpler computer designed for one's living room to work with one's Television. As I said, I believe it will be a sort of a hybrid but I also believe there will be more console elements than PC elements.

• Brohoof 1

Neither of those are new features to a PC. Why would they build a regular PC? Surely that would flunk. 

"A powerful new category of living-room hardware is on the horizon."

That's the keyword for me. Living-room hardware is basically what a console is. It's a simpler computer designed for one's living room to work with one's Television. As I said, I believe it will be a sort of a hybrid but I also believe there will be more console elements than PC elements.

If it runs Windows, which it can, and it runs Linux, which it does, then it is not a console. It is a PC, not a console.

Multiple models also doesn't fit the console aspect. All consoles are specced the same.

Choose the model right for you in 2014.

Never seen anyone just be able to pop down to a PC store and build a PS3 or Xbox.

Will I be able to build my own box to run SteamOS?

Yes.

Read that and point me out where they refer to the system as a console at any point.

Here's a lovely quote, tell me which modern console you can do this with? The PS3 obviously had Linux capabilities but that was back in the day and has since been stopped. And yes, it's not going to operate the same as a console by stopping users from using a mouse and keyboard.

Can I hack this box? Run another OS? Change the hardware? Install my own software? Use it to build a robot?

Sure.

Am I going to be using a mouse and a keyboard in the living-room?

If you want. But Steam and SteamOS work well with gamepads, too. Stay tuned, though - we have some more to say very soon on the topic of input.

A modern console that uses a Gamepad I wonder if that souns like the WiiU or not.

And they don't directly refer to it as a console but it does have some features which were originally found in consoles.

A modern console that uses a Gamepad I wonder if that souns like the WiiU or not.

And they don't directly refer to it as a console but it does have some features which were originally found in consoles.

An Xbox can browse the internet, play videos and music and play games but that does not make it a PC by any stretch at all. I use a gamepad with my PC for most if not all my games that support them but that doesn't make my behemoth of a PC a console.

• Brohoof 1

An Xbox can browse the internet, play videos and music and play games but that does not make it a PC by any stretch at all. I use a gamepad with my PC for most if not all my games that support them but that doesn't make my behemoth of a PC a console.

#Scumbag PC gamer uses Gamepad #shame.Dont know why I put hash tags in there they just seemed to fit.

The definition of Games Console:

A video game console is an interactive COMPUTER that produces a video display signal which can be used with a display device to display a video game.

I don't necessarily believe that definition but still

#Scumbag PC gamer uses Gamepad #shame.Dont know why I put hash tags in there they just seemed to fit.

The definition of Games Console:

A video game console is an interactive COMPUTER that produces a video display signal which can be used with a display device to display a video game.

I don't necessarily believe that definition but still

A console is a computer but it isn't a General Purpose computer, whereas a PC is. Just wanted to differentiate between the 2. Although for a bit the PS3 could have been called a PC.

This is where I see the Steam Box/Engine/Turbine/Iron, an x86 based "console" that can be turned into a General Purpose PC quite easily. I also like the fact that SteamOS is shipping as a stand alone porject as well. It provides a turn-key solution to those that custom build.

I don't get it, like at all. As it stand there's no reason to get one of these instead of just building a PC and installing Steam on it. I forsee this winding up just being just a novelty like the Ouya is turning out to be. 

Woohoo! This is... with no doubt in my mind... The year of the Linux Desktop! laugh.png

But seriously, it is nice to know that Linux will be the OS for this steambox because this probably means that things that will work on their platform will work on my desktop. This would also encourage more active development in the gaming and graphics department for my operating system of choice.

I might get a steambox, I think there is a benefit to having a single-task computer running the steam platform. Plus, I'm rather interested to see what else Valve is going to do with this thing.

Edited by Celtore

I don't think I'll get it...I can do all of this with my new laptop. TV? Got an hdmi cable with my name on it. Gamepad? Tons of my games support it, the few that don't have mods. Steam? Already on it. Customization? Sorta (but I don't like customizing in my case, but a desktop can do this) Living room? How about anywhere? I don't mean to attack it, but I don't understand it....am I missing something?

The concept of SteamOS, Steam Machines and the Steam Controller has been growing on me lately. The controllers are designed to work with every PC game out there, any game not for Linux can be streamed from a Windows or OS X machine and the controllers attempt to translate the precision of a keyboard + mouse into a controller form factor. The fact that the machines are customizable is great, too. Huge breath of fresh air compared to the locked-down, mainstream consoles. If I wanted a different processor or GPU, I could do that.

Hopefully I'll get a prototype Steam Machine from Valve. If I do, I'll try it out for a bit then write up a review of it. If not, then I'll wait until other Steam Machines hit the market. They have a lot of potential. Hopefully Valve will tap into that potential.

Edited by Daring

I don't get it, like at all. As it stand there's no reason to get one of these instead of just building a PC and installing Steam on it. I forsee this winding up just being just a novelty like the Ouya is turning out to be. 

I don't think I'll get it...I can do all of this with my new laptop. TV? Got an hdmi cable with my name on it. Gamepad? Tons of my games support it, the few that don't have mods. Steam? Already on it. Customization? Sorta (but I don't like customizing in my case, but a desktop can do this) Living room? How about anywhere? I don't mean to attack it, but I don't understand it....am I missing something?

The Steam Box isn't simply "Oh, you want to play your favorite Steam games in your living room? Here's a Steam Box!"

They're targeting a larger audience, namely Console Gamers or people who can't afford (or intimidated by price) by a high-end gaming PC/Laptop they can play all their favorite games on. I mean, I can't blame them. An initial $200 pricetag is much prettier than a $1000 one. If you already have a good PC to run your games on, it is pretty much just the novelty of playing games in your living room or friend's house without having to lug your tower around. Having an even larger audience will most likely increase the sales of pretty much every game on the Steam marketplace and, I'm praying this will happen, will lead up to the sudden release of Half Life 3.

Also, with the controller, in the announcement, it "tricks" older games into thinking it's being controlled with a keyboard and mouse, and is extremely customizable.