Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Words you cannot pronounce properly?

Mr F

I had this same exact problem! I literally spent the whole of my AS music course pronouncing Debussy wrong. By the end of the school year my music teacher just started to ignore it aha!  

Yeah, a few weeks ago, I was talking with my mother before I had an audition. Someone caught me pronouncing Debussy like "Day-bew-see" and they corrected me. It then started a small debate on how to pronounce certain composer's names! :P

I don't have any lisps or really anything, I speak fluidly.

But I have noticed they when my mouth is full and I try to say the food is "good" it comes out as "gub"

Anypony feel the same way?

Since I have a pretty big vocabulary from reading books, there are some words that people don't use everyday which I pronounce a little badly. 

Gravity is one, for example. I say Gravy-ti. There are some others but I don't remember them now.

I'm not too confident with pronouncing French terms correctly. Oh well. the fact that people can't pronounce Arabian, Indonesian, or Chinese words correctly makes me feel better; it's hilarious to hear how they pronounce them!

This isn't a word i can't pronounce, rather a word everyone else pronounces wrong. "crepe" is actually pronounced "crep," but americans like to say "crape." Which is fine, but the other day when I said 'crep' my dad corrected me with 'crape.' I got annoyed, but didn't say anything.

I don't have any lisps or really anything, I speak fluidly.

But I have noticed they when my mouth is full and I try to say the food is "good" it comes out as "gub"

Anypony feel the same way?

*fluently

Edited by Sneaky

One word. "Honor" i keep pronouncing the word with the H out loud i dunno why people keep telling me it's pronounced "onor". Other than that I should really work on my typing o.O

Arabian

I do talk english,arabic and french with perfect accents(fluently) xD and pronounce all the words correctly except maybe the one mentioned above

Edited by Sir. Rayray

just had a good one.

Civilization, I said sivil-iz-ati-ån.

I can't say it like i should anymore. xD

soo many words I cannot say properly

Quite a few actually, there's many words I have stop and think about how I'm saying it: Tequila, for example. It tends to be words that have complicated pronunciation and a lot of syllables(which is funny, considering how I tend to take in text format when I get started)  

I travel around Nunavut a lot and it's taken me a while to get all the place names right. The one I still have trouble with, mostly because NOBODY in the south pronounces it correctly, is Iqaluit.

The proper pronunciation is "EE khal ouit." The emphasis is on the first syllable, the second syllable is a kind of soft glottal stop (which gives many english speakers problems) and the third syllabe is very short and soft.

Typically you will hear it pronouced "ee KAL ou wit" or "ee KAL weet." Unfortunately, if you say it correctly in the south, you'll often get a funny look or people might think you're being pretentious. Even if you go to one of those pronunciation sites, what they'll tell you is WRONG.

Just goes to show, southerners know nothing about Nunavut which, BTW, is pronounced noo-noo-voot, without emphasis on any particular syllable. People from Nunavut are nunavummiut, which is pronounced noo-noo-voo-mute, again without any particular emphasis.

The one I'm currently trying to get is the town I just flew out of, Kuujjuarapik, in Quebec.

Other fun place names in the north: Tsiighetchic (sig-a-chick), Qikiktarjuaq (kick-ick-tar-joo-ak -- that "j" is very soft. Most eople just call it 'Kick'), and the place I am right now, Sanikiluaq, which actually isn't that hard to pronounce (sani-kill-oo-ak)

anyway, i gotta get back to work now. Hope you enjoyed this glimpse in to northern place names!

• Brohoof 1

I sometimes mispronounce words because I have some minor problems with speaking.

For example:

"For example, I mah-meh-muh-mah-"

"sorry, let me start over."

"For example, I may..."

And then the person I'm talking to looks at me funny.

1. "Striped"

I don't always pay attention to the pronounciations of words, so it just comes out, "Stripe- ed"

2. "Comfortable"

It always comes out, "Com-fort able", not "Comftorble"

I meant to spell it wrong, to show what I was saying.

I cannot, for the life of me, say Gell.

I always say Jail instead of Gell, which sucks. 

Because my faction at school is Gell, so when we're all cheering for a faction teams I can't cheer because its sounds like I want people to go to Jail. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm Icelandic, but I'm so used to the English language that I believe I can pronounce pretty much any word properly but it has happened that I stammer the words. The reason has nothing to do with my pronouncing, I just feel nervous and I suddenly forget how to pronounce the words. That doesn't happen with my native language but it has happened with English, I guess the only words I mispronounce are long weird words, but that's only natural English isn't my native language. So yeah, it's more about me being nervous and then mispronouncing a word rather then actually just not being able to pronounce a word properly. So yeah, I have no idea whether there are words I cannot pronounce properly.

• Brohoof 1

Because i was born in the south of England and slowly moved up, my accent is kinda messed up, i pronounce some words how they are pronounced in the south and others how they are pronounced elsewhere, i also read alot so i tend to pronounce some words incorrectly as i have never heard them spoken before, one example i can give is tithe, i pronounced it tith, when its pronounced T-eye-th