Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How annoying are your parents?

Slice0Pie

My dad is somewhere around a 7.5 to be honest. His attitude, occasional childish attitude, and tendency for temper tantrums all really irritate me. Not to mention, he has to constantly make fun of EVERYTHING and EVERYONE, but when somebody tries to poke fun at him, oh that's a big problem. Then there's the pity parties he throws... Seriously, he's annoying. :dry: And don't even try to reason with him, because it will never, ever work. He'll somehow try to make it about himself.

My mother (she's been dead for about 10 and a half years now) would have been somewhere around a 1.5. I really liked her, much more than my dad. Although she was definitely not perfect (She was the tiniest bit juvenile at times I'll admit), she was pretty great. In fact, I sometimes think about how different life would be if my dad's bad habits killed him first instead of my mother dying first to a side effect of her heart medication. My mom deserved better than my dad, just saying.

I'll also throw in my grandma as well:

My grandma (Dad's side)- I really do like her, but she's honestly a 5 here. She was a bit controlling at times when I lived with her, and SHE DOESN'T SHUT UP. Seriously, when you get her talking, you won't get a chance to do anything else for the next hour... I'm not even exaggerating. My grandma's phone conversations rarely fail to be under 45 minutes... Even if the call was to discuss something that doesn't take long... But she really is quite nice even if she can be a little bit aggravating sometimes.

My mom is about a 2/10. She rambles sometimes, (I guess I got that from her), but that's it. She's a really great mom.

My dad, on the other hand, is a 9.5/10. I'd give him a 10, but there's one other person I've met who's comparably annoying, and I can't decide which of them is worse. I'm not joking when I say every little thing he does irritates me. Just seeing him is enough to put my teeth on edge. He's an okay dad, but as a person, I really hate being around him. He's a big reason I want to move out on my own as soon as possible.

Both my parents are aight. I dont get to spend much time with my dad cause he's almost always away from home due to his job, but when he IS home we have a pretty good relationship. My relationship with my mom is good too. I only find my parents annoying sometimes. Like when they say i cant do a particular thing or if my dad teases me. :dry::P Just your average stuff.  

Vast majority of the time, mom is great. Most annoying thing she does is occasionally forget that I’m an adult. I can’t think of an actual, recent example, but it’s kind of along the lines of...

”Make sure you blow on it.”

”Yes, thank you, mother. I figured out how to eat a while ago.”

Edited by JingLBabe

Um. Quite. Both of my parents are quite preachy-Christian, of which I am not a fan, but my dad is the worst offender there. He's so arrogant and so full of himself, I actually think he believes he's a prophet or some shit like that. Aside from that they're just incredibly judgmental.

Hence why I only visit them for maybe like a week out of the year, and why I keep my visits off the weekends. So I don't get dragged to church.

My father. I mean... Imagine a man child, that is too stubborn to change and be serious for anything for once, he is overweight but the problem is that he manipulates people into becoming fat and as miserable as him, to get them down to his level, he's kinda annoying to talk to because he doesn't wash his teeth so you can smell his breath at quite a distance. He speaks in questions all the time and expects you to answer, and answer positively because otherwise he feels offended and starts speaking to you in sarcasm. He has no problem to spend a lot of money on food or just garbage for him and others but is the kind of person that never has money and constantly tries to get mine when he knows I don't earn enough. He's also sexist, racist, and homophobic (saddly product of the nasty side of our culture). He's also alcoholic and lies like a child. Emotionally manipulative. Lazy. 

I'm tired already.

But I feel like I can't say anything because he has never left us and has always provided for us. He loves us but... I wish I could just say his not really a good father and that he doesn't really love us because of everything else. But there's never culprits, just victims of the circumstances and the things that have happened around them, and I feel impotent about it.

My rating: -------

And my mother. She could have been my grandma. Had me very late in her life, so she's kinda old, and the fact that we are living in such a different state of our lives as a family and that she surrounds herself with things from her own era and even before makes communication difficult. She's a feminist matriarch, that sounds fun doesn't it? Wants to do the things fast and ready at any time she demands, very old school like every time she wants to say something she calls for family reunion and makes everyone discuss for at least an hour, she demands (demanded, that has changed a bit) that everyone eats at the table at the same time, demands to decorate the entire house according to the holidays but we have to do it and enjoy it, "do it, and smile!". She demands affection, like, forcefully just kisses and hugs you and commands you to do the same and better, if you don't comply she gets MAD, to the point of starting to insult and then she cries and tries to blame her problems on you. She also has an actual condition that makes her incredibly jelous and distrustful of both men and women, so she kinda started to cut relationships with our family and I suffered from it because I didn't really knew my cousins or uncles and aunts. She's a bit paranoid so she distrust us, there's only enemies around her. She's incredibly selfish. Narcissistic I would say. She "never does anything wrong, it's the others", she's "always right", even if the truth is hitting her in the face she won't budge because of her pride. She's very dismissive and her language of preference is sarcasm, she yells a lot and insults. 

But like my father, I feel like I can't say anything because she's always provided for us and she give us gifts and repents herself when she suddenly has a change of heart. I know she's not a bad person as in she believes she's doing it for good, and that she just wants to be loved but... I wish I could just say she's not a good mother, or a very good person in general either regardless. Like my father, that the good on them doesn't justify all of what they do and cleanses them from it, aside from everything that doesn't relate to the theme of annoying like past abuse and abandonement and other things. But we live in a culture were that's enough and in return we should feel thankful for what the good that they do, no matter how small, since it's in us to take that and make it better. That we need to understand and help them... either that or name them toxic and abandon them as well, like normal people do. And I feel impotent about it because both are true. Powerless, and unjustified to call them out as well as if I don't. I feel bound to be good and better, but I just wish I wasn't. I wish I could act upon it. But I can't because that's bad I guess.

My rating: |̯̳̼̱̈ͦ̄͒×̡͙͑ͤ́̐-̖͙̝̺̺̬̩̽ͮ͘,͇̺͇̰̖͂ͭ̈͊™̛̭̜̻͚̘͋̓ͨ͆ͬ̂ͪ,̘̣̗̗̭̀.̞̄̔-̠̺̩͓̥̳̄̌͆'̭͚͈̠̺ͭ̄ͦͬ̈́,̷͔̳͔̠̤̥̇̽̊ͮ͆̌̇̽̊ͮ͆̌ͅ

Edited by Ittoni

Well, my mother is ok. Yeah, she usually lets her rage fits out on me when my father or my brother make her mad. I'm her emotional sandbag of sorts, but all in all she's decent and is usually kind when in a good mood.

My father is... -sigh-. My father.

Read at your own risk. I know what I wrote next is crass and rather salty, so if you're the kind of person who takes problems from other people to heart, you should probably skip to the tl;dr version because you might feel a bit angry.

Spoiler

He's an alcoholic who wants to rule home the olde way. You know, the kind of stuff old gramps used to do with their family. You must eat with the family, you must obey all orders and you must leave whatever you're doing to put attention to him. Add the mexican twist of the typical latin american patriarch and you get one overly annoying relationship in which you're wrong unless you agree with him, and even then you're wrong because you're not him. Also, you're supposed to be on standby just to offer him and serve him all the time he's around. The most annoying part is he doesn't let you be. You don't want to sit down watching hours of WWII documentals or on weapons? Well, too bad, that's exactly what you're gonna watch if he's around, even if you were watching anything else, had it been something productive like any other documental or if you were just having fun watching a cartoon or a comedy program (because cartoons are for dumb, sick people and children, and children grow to be dumb sick people if they watch cartoons) because you must be in teh same room as him, putting attention to whatever he wants you to put attention to and of course he will take over the TV. You don't like his kind of rock? You have no culture, because whatever genre or subgenre comes from Black Sabath, Jethro Tull, Jimmy Jendrix, Carlos Santana or Deep Purple and whatever you're listening to is lousy in comparison anyway. Btw, electronic is not music. Neither anything that was composed for a game. Also, classical music is boring unless he likes that exact piece and movement. Are you doing anything at all? He knows better how to do it, no matter if you're an expert on the topic and have formal education on it. Differential equations? They are totally unnecessary, because you could do the same with some basic arithmetics. He's better than you in electronics and chemistry too. Ah, but computers are a different thing. He'll ask on every single prompt his antivirus does. He could read what file is that thing about, but he wants you to take a minute and look at it and take the decision to either delete or skip a file. Of course, most times they are regular files and you have to explain in detail what that thing is and why is it ok or not to get rid of it.
Are you feeling sick? What a pussy you are if you dare whine just the littlest about it. Ah, but if he has the slightiest cold, dude, don't you see he's feeling really sick, you insensitive piece of crap?! Now, whatever awful things he did during your childhood, it was your mother's fault and she caused it and if there was any violent fit from him it was in self defense. An ex-police officer feared for his health from an asthmatic woman. Yeah, right pops. Ah, and what kind of awful child you are for not wanting to spend all your time with him when he's around? Like, come on! Yeah, he totally missed out your elementary and midschool graduations (and pretty much your childhood in general), but hey, he's here now so put attention to him! So what if he avoided seeing you everyday when you were a kid? Yeah, he had... to "work" I guess. He had to work to buy his collection of musical instruments and take ladies out on dates. Taking you out on his free time? Spending an hour or two with you before you went to bed? Nah. He would sit down with his drink and ignore the world while he practiced his guitar. Or he would just go out with local bands to play. But of course, you were a disappointment every time. Oh, by the way, when was your birthday, again? Ah, and don't forget boys don't cry. He didn't have a little sissy girl. He had a boy. Oh yeah, he would also deny you in society. "No no, he's not my son. He's an employee". But of course, nothing of that is a good enough reason for his children to want to keep their distance. Their dad was a really good one because he never hitted them as part of a scolding. So why won't his children want to spend their time with him now that they are adults? Why they spend more time with their mother than with him? Nobody respects him, what a bunch of ungrateful bastards they are.

Tl;dr:
He's got a drinking problem, was super distant throughout my childhood and wants things his way all the time. Everything I like or do is wrong to him, and I know far less than him, even about my own profession according to him. He wants his family to serve him as if he was some sort of patriarch and plays the victim 24/7.

• Brohoof 2

Short of my parents being mildly obnoxious sometimes, I'm not annoyed by them really. I find it annoying that they're not trying as hard as they should with my request to use my new name and pronouns but... that's about as bad as it gets.

My parents are rather old-fashioned

old-fashioned to the degree of not really accepting any opinions their children give because "Oh i'm the parent, I know better then you" (or at least that's the aura they give off), and my dad seeming to think any time you get into a big argument with him you're trying to challenge his authority / position as "alpha" of the family (yet again, just the aura he gives off / how quickly he snaps to yelling and cursing in your face).

Buuuut these scenarios basically never happen, so is it really that big of a deal? I could list off a whole bunch of other things that annoy me about them, but it would come off as petty.

tl;dr - Dad = 5/10, mom = 5-6/10, varies depending on the situation.

Hm. My mom can be a bit  frantic and nagging sometimes and my dad can be a bit like a “senile” Joseph Jostar who’s stubborn at a time.  Both have their overreacting moments.. So I will give them both 5/10. 

Although if my parents were to rate how annoying we kids are it would 10/10. 

But despite how crazy, big and annoying my family are I won’t have it in any other way.

My mother is quite a bit more religious than I am, but definitely not annoying. Love her dearly, and need to visit more often.

As for my father, well, he was never really a part of my life. Last time I spoke to him was at my cousin's wedding and that was over 10 years ago.  >_>