Why do so many people dislike Rarity so much and like Rainbow Dash so much?

Sazama Ichida

Ahem, I'm going to be brutally honest to you and give you reasons why I think people dislike Rarity and like Rainbow Dash.

First off, I'm going to say that Rainbow Dash is clearly a tomboy. Loud and loves to fly (which counts as a sport in Equestria, I guess?) Many bronies fall in love with her because she acts masculine sometimes all in all, she can relate to bronies.

Rarity at the beginning of the series I thought she was a snob, i despised Rarity until she developed into a more resonable character. AND Rarity wasn't all that generous unless the plot line called for it.

I AM NOT SAYING RARITY IS WORST PONY AND DASH IS BEST PONY I AM EXPLAINING WHAT I THINK IT IS ABOUT!

Thank you.

Fluttershypie124 :yay:  

• Brohoof 1

In my opinion, RainbowDash is so popular because she has the most unique design of all the main characters. Bronies view her as awesome, amazing, and cool because she is a really fast flyer and can make a sonic rainboom. She is just viewed as "awesome".

Rarity, in the other hand, is commonly disliked probably because she doesn't really do much. She is a drama queen, and she never really has contributed to the story of MLP FiM. She isn't needed.

I honestly cannot STAND RainbowDash. She is so incredibly ignorant, rude, arrogant, crude, and raw. She seems to feel no remorse for any action she takes that results in consequences. I know she is just a cartoon character, but I cannot stand mean people. In Griffon the Brush Off, Rainbow states "you're not annoying as I thought, Pinkie". How f*cking rude of her to say that. She thinks she is so incredibly high and mighty that she has no real feelings for other ponies. She acts like she does, but underneath, she doesn't at all.

Rarity is actually one of my favorite ponies simply because she overreacts. And it is HILARIOUS when she has tantrums. I feel that she is a great addition to the show.

If Rainbow Dash didn't exist, the show would be better off.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Bit over the top ay?

I'm mean, sure , rainbow is Ike that sometimes, but not all the time, she is nice more than not nowadays, compared to the earlier seasons/episodes.

Besides, all the ponies started off being less than friends, but over time they grew together in to better ponies, so I can understand you not liking rd but you can't say that she is always like that, because it's not true.

• Brohoof 1

In my opinion, RainbowDash is so popular because she has the most unique design of all the main characters. Bronies view her as awesome, amazing, and cool because she is a really fast flyer and can make a sonic rainboom. She is just viewed as "awesome".

Rarity, in the other hand, is commonly disliked probably because she doesn't really do much. She is a drama queen, and she never really has contributed to the story of MLP FiM. She isn't needed.

I honestly cannot STAND RainbowDash. She is so incredibly ignorant, rude, arrogant, crude, and raw. She seems to feel no remorse for any action she takes that results in consequences. I know she is just a cartoon character, but I cannot stand mean people. In Griffon the Brush Off, Rainbow states "you're not annoying as I thought, Pinkie". How f*cking rude of her to say that. She thinks she is so incredibly high and mighty that she has no real feelings for other ponies. She acts like she does, but underneath, she doesn't at all.

Rarity is actually one of my favorite ponies simply because she overreacts. And it is HILARIOUS when she has tantrums. I feel that she is a great addition to the show.

If Rainbow Dash didn't exist, the show would be better off.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

don't you think you are being a liiiittle bit too harsh with Rainbow Dash, I also disliked her for the way she was on season 1 and 2, but I have to admit that she had a major change on season 3 and 4 without stopping being 'awesome', she's more mature in a way and she isn't reckless anymore, or at least not that much.

Rainbow Dash is cool now, but I can't forget the bitch she was on previous seasons, it's like an unfair grudge I hold agaisnt her, but I even admit that she has gotten way better than before. She has grown a lot.

On the other hand, I have tried for a long time to understand Rarity, and I just don't think I do. Her generosity seems to contradict her vanity. This leads to a very interesting character development, but sometimes I just cannot understand her actions. In Look Before you Sleep, Rarity is extremely reluctant to help applejack and Twilight with the tree because she would get "icky." In the end she does help, but it takes her a while to decide to help. For the same pony to instantly, without question, butcher her own tail to help a distraught sea monster is hard for me to comprehend. I find Rarity's character interesting but I just can't seem to understand her because to me, she seems to act very inconsistently

That's why I love Rarity's character so much, remember that those were 2 different scenarios for her. Remember what she told to the sea serpent when she cutted her tail off. "I cannot let go a crime against fashion uncorrected", she did it in the name of fashion while on the other hand, getting dirty is not one of Rarity's fav activities to do, she had to think about it before giving out her help.

I honestly like the 'conflict' that she has with her element because that makes her more real than ever to me, and really Rarity is extremelly generous even before season 3 was announced.

I'd really like to see a Rarity and Rainbow Dash friendship episode. A story focusing on both of them might help bridge the gap between their fanbases a bit. 

Rarity and Applejack are incredibly different too, but they've had significant shared screentime (Look Before You Sleep, as well as scenes in Best Night Ever and Sisterhooves Social), which highlights what great friends they are. In RD's case, she really only hangs out with Rarity when they're both part of a larger group, so it'd be interesting to see.

I would like to see this as well, an episode with these 2 has to be insteresting. So far, since season 3, Rarijack has been going strong

• Brohoof 2

because they can't see true beauty

Because they think that Rarity is a girly girl and they can relate to Rainbow Dash more.

But I think Rarity's better purely based on the fact she talked her way out of a terrorist cell and knows karate.

• Brohoof 1

I gotta ask, Seriously, Why exactly do so many people dislike Rarity so much and say that she's their least favorite pony? And why exactly do so many people like Rainbow Dash so much and say that she's their favorite pony? Twilight Sparkle and Fluttershy I can easily understand why people like but Rainbow Dash? Really? She's alot more selfish and obnoxious than Rarity if you ask me...She's a conceited show-off and mostly seems to only think and care about herself alot of the time...She's definitely my least favorite out of the mane 6...Why exactly do people like her? (Don't hurt/kill me for saying that please RD fans)

But at least Rarity shows acts of generosity sometimes and does things for other ponies like making dresses etc...What exactly do people have against her?

Asbel, I love Tales of Graces f; add me sometime we'll talk. :] Secondly--great signature and avatar.

I'll go into this because I hated Rainbowdash at the beginning, and despised Rarity in the beginning. Where did my love for Rarity come from? Well here's my ponyfrence (preference for ponies)

Fluttershy

Rarity(or Applejack, depends on the day)

Twilight Sparkle

Pinkie Pie

Rainbowdash.

What was it before in the beginning?

Fluttershy

Applejack

Twilight Sparkle

Rarity

Rainbowdash

Pinkie Pie

Now what transitioned the change to bump rarity up to number 2? She changed a lot in my mind from episode 1 to episode 26 in season one. And as a whole, she has great facial features. She's the most aesthetically pleasing pony, I think--so you can easily tell what "Face" and expression she's making.

Example? I use Rarity expressions for things in chats all the time because her facial expressions are the best.  

tumblr_mz3xpkQujL1rvls0vo1_500.png

Next--compared to Rainbow Dash, Rarity is a lot more contained about her own ego.

I don't think Rarity and RD have any similar qualities, really--but they do. Some. Overall, though, I think that Rarity really made her biggest change in the Sonic Rainboom episode. After that she kind of calmed down.

• Brohoof 1

Bit over the top ay?

I'm mean, sure , rainbow is Ike that sometimes, but not all the time, she is nice more than not nowadays, compared to the earlier seasons/episodes.

Besides, all the ponies started off being less than friends, but over time they grew together in to better ponies, so I can understand you not liking rd but you can't say that she is always like that, because it's not true.

No not really.

I don't care what actions Rainbow has taken that make her seem "less stuck up". I just really dislike her.

don't you think you are being a liiiittle bit too harsh with Rainbow Dash, I also disliked her for the way she was on season 1 and 2, but I have to admit that she had a major change on season 3 and 4 without stopping being 'awesome', she's more mature in a way and she isn't reckless anymore, or at least not that much.

Rainbow Dash is cool now, but I can't forget the bitch she was on previous seasons, it's like an unfair grudge I hold agaisnt her, but I even admit that she has gotten way better than before. She has grown a lot.

Bit over the top ay?

No, I don't think I'm being too over the top. It's not like she has feelings :P

I am unable to view Rainbow as a "changed for the better" individual due to the impact she put on me early on. I just don't like her.

Edited by Samurott77

No not really.

I don't care what actions Rainbow has taken that make her seem "less stuck up". I just really dislike her.

Well, at least that's something I guess, at least you acknowledge she's changed.

Although I still think that you are slightly too harsh on her, but that's only my opinion.

• Brohoof 1

No, I don't think I'm being too harsh. It's not like she has feelings :P

I am unable to view Rainbow as a "changed for the better" individual due to the impact she put on me early on. I just don't like her.

I just don't like Rarity because she is manipulative liar, and whines to get what she wants.

Case and point, in the Episode Putting your hoof down, she manipulated the nerdy stallion by lieing and sweet talking him. (Nothing I hate more than a woman sweet being a manipulative liar, especially to the opposite gender, so this is an absolutely horrible lesson to be teaching young girls.)

In the episode a Dog and Pony Show, she whined and complained, and bitched until she got what she wanted. (Again Not a good lesson to be teaching young girls)

That and the fact I can in no way relate to her.

Edited by TorqueEffect
  • Brohoof 2

She has no real feelings for other ponies. She acts like she does, but underneath, she doesn't at all.

I doubt you're interested in changing your mind, but the show has demonstrated otherwise many many times.

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjIBLCIFCq4

I doubt you're interested in changing your mind, but the show has demonstrated otherwise many many times.

During the exchange Rainbow has with Scootaloo, Rainbow says that she will deny the fact that she was scared of ghost stories when she was little if Scootaloo chooses to tell anyone. Rainbow is still caught up in her own huge ego.

I just feel that Rainbow Dash is incapable of TRULY feeling compassion or concern for others. She is two-faced.

During the exchange Rainbow has with Scootaloo, Rainbow says that she will deny the fact that she was scared of ghost stories when she was little if Scootaloo chooses to tell anyone. Rainbow is still caught up in her own huge ego.

I just feel that Rainbow Dash is incapable of TRULY feeling compassion or concern for others. She is two-faced.

How does being concerned for your self-image have anything to do with feeling compassion for others? Scootaloo doesn't stand to benefit from revealing Rainbow Dash's embarrassing childhood stories. Nothing about Rainbow's very realistic insecurities compromise her compassion for her friends, or for Scootaloo in particular.

Everyone has insecurities about something. That doesn't make them disloyal or lacking in compassion.

• Brohoof 4

Rainbow Dash's extremely image-conscious because she's very proud and doesn't want to be seen as soft, but claiming she has no capability of showing compassion as a result is absolutely false. Besides willingly taking Scootaloo in as her protege, she:

1. Sacrificed her wish to be a Wonderbolt willingly because her family was almost killed by Lightning Dust's recklessness.
  2. Consoled Scootaloo after she was very upset over wondering whether she can fly or not. She told her Scoots's her, Dash's Dash. Even if she'd never fly, Scootaloo was still a terrific, brave pegasus in her point of view.
Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 3

How does being concerned for your self-image have anything to do with feeling compassion for others? Scootaloo doesn't stand to benefit from revealing Rainbow Dash's embarrassing childhood stories. Nothing about Rainbow's very realistic insecurities compromise her compassion for her friends, or for Scootaloo in particular.

Everyone has insecurities about something. That doesn't make them disloyal or lacking in compassion.

I'm just saying that it's little things like that that really piss me off about Rainbow.

I honestly just don't see her being loyal or compassionate. She always says that she learns her lessons at the end of certain episodes, but it's oh so obvious she hasn't and doesn't care.

I realize that I'm scattering my opinions about Rainbow here, when I made my main argument about her being arrogant and a liar. My point still stands, though.

I just don't like her and I feel she will never TRULY learn to HONESTLY care about anyone or anything besides herself.

All I'm doing is giving my opinion at this point.

There really is no point in getting defensive.

I'm just saying that it's little things like that that really piss me off about Rainbow.

I honestly just don't see her being loyal or compassionate. She always says that she learns her lessons at the end of certain episodes, but it's oh so obvious she hasn't and doesn't care.

I realize that I'm scattering my opinions about Rainbow here, when I made my main argument about her being arrogant and a liar. My point still stands, though.

I just don't like her and I feel she will never TRULY learn to HONESTLY care about anyone or anything besides herself.

All I'm doing is giving my opinion at this point.

There really is no point in getting defensive.

It's called debate, not defensiveness. Since this is a discussion forum, you should expect people to (civilly, of course) voice disagreements with your posts at times.

In any event, I feel Rainbow Dash (and indeed, all of the main cast) has developed significantly since her debut. I can't see season one Dash walking away from the Wonderbolts; But after all the character development she got for three seasons, totally bought that she was willing to sacrifice her chance at joining them in Wonderbolt Academy. That's a supreme act of selflessness, where Rainbow does the right thing for its own sake, even if she has to give up her lifelong dream to do it.

I feel that, while she's certainly flawed (and who isn't?), she's fundamentally a good friend and has grown as a character.

• Brohoof 5

Rainbow Dash's extremely image-conscious because she's very proud and doesn't want to be seen as soft, but claiming she has no capability of showing compassion as a result is absolutely false. Besides willingly taking Scootaloo in as her protege, she:

• Sacrificed her wish to be a Wonderbolt willingly because her family was almost killed by Lightning Dust's recklessness.
  • Consoled Scootaloo after she was very upset over wondering whether she can fly or not. She told her Scoots's her, Dash's Dash. Even if she'd never fly, Scootaloo was still a terrific, brave pegasus in her point of view.

Look, I just see Rainbow as a character who has absolutely no redeeming value. That's it for me. The impact she made on me early on just ruined any good opinion I had on her in the very beginning.

I just see her as so caught up in herself that she is blatantly a ruined character.

I really don't see why you guys are getting so defensive. This went from me explaining why, in my opinion, (let me emphasize that key word... OPINION) why people like Rainbow more than Rarity, to quick-to-defend obsessed Rainbow fans telling me I have no right to say such things.

It's an opinion I have. It isn't a big deal.

RD is my favorite pony because I relate to her wanting to be the coolest, and acting a bit showy and over the top, as do rarity I think she is a great character, the only Mane6 pony I dislike is fluttershy, sometime I even skip am episode when I realize it is going to be a fluttershy episode, just because I dislike her whininess

I really don't see why you guys are getting so defensive. This went from me explaining why, in my opinion, (let me emphasize that key word... OPINION) why people like Rainbow more than Rarity, to quick-to-defend obsessed Rainbow fans telling me I have no right to say such things.

Except nobody said that.

People responded to your opinions with counter-opinions of their own; Not to silence you, but to discuss with you. No one in this topic has expressed that they feel you don't hold a right to voicing your opinion, or that they want you to silence yourself. Again, on a discussion forum, people discuss things - including things they disagree with. That doesn't - and has never meant - that you don't have a right to your opinion.

• Brohoof 2

It's called debate, not defensiveness. Since this is a discussion forum, you should expect people to (civilly, of course) voice disagreements with your posts at times.

In any event, I feel Rainbow Dash (and indeed, all of the main cast) has developed significantly since her debut. I can't see season one Dash walking away from the Wonderbolts; But after all the character development she got for three seasons, totally bought that she was willing to sacrifice her chance at joining them in Wonderbolt Academy. That's a supreme act of selflessness, where Rainbow does the right thing for its own sake, even if she has to give up her lifelong dream to do it.

I feel that, while she's certainly flawed (and who isn't?), she's fundamentally a good friend and has grown as a character.

I'm just giving my opinion on Rainbow Dash. That's all.

And yes, to some, people take negative opinions about Rainbow way too seriously and will try to defend her rather than debate.

It's just an opinion.

There isn't any need to continue quoting each other on this.

You've made your point that you disagree. I get that.

No point in even continuing this.

Except nobody said that.

People responded to your opinions with counter-opinions of their own; Not to silence you, but to discuss with you. No one in this topic has expressed that they feel you don't hold a right to voicing your opinion, or that they want you to silence yourself. Again, on a discussion forum, people discuss things - including things they disagree with. That doesn't - and has never meant - that you don't have a right to your opinion.

This went from me responding to the topic question: Why do people like Rainbow more than Rarity, to people getting rather frustrated at me and trying to defend Rainbow by giving examples of MLP episodes, forcing me to give my "side of the debate" that include almost 70% opinions, thus creating more and more people quoting me and trying to get me to understand that Rainbow Is more than her superficial appearance.

I know that no one said I couldn't state my opinion.

I see that not trying to silence me, but rather trying to defend Rainbow to the point where it is annoying.

Except nobody said that.

I keep getting quoted and it is very bothersome at this point.

I'm not eve feeding this. I just keep getting quoted over and over.

I know that I can just ignore them, but it's so repetitive now that I am getting aggravated.

I just don't like Rarity because she is manipulative liar, and whines to get she wants.

Case and point, in the Episode Putting your hoof down, she manipulated the nerdy stallion by lieing and sweet talking him. (Nothing I hate more than a woman sweet being a manipulative liar, especially to the opposite gender, so this is an absolutely horrible lesson to be teaching young girls.)

In the episode a Dog and Pony Show, she whined and complained, and bitched until she got what she wanted. (Again Not a good lesson to be teaching young girls)

That and the fact I can in no way relate to her.

Pretty much this.

She's also incredibly lazy. Every time she has bags (and it's always a ton of them), she gets someone else to carry it all (whether that be Spike (who she constantly takes advantage of), Sweetie Bell, or the stallion in Sweet and Elite). This is something snobby, stuck up rich people do who think they're too "superior" to carry bags or whatever.

Rainbow Dash is usually annoying with her constant ego strokes that just get repetitive. I wish her character was more of a "ego centric character that think's they're awesome but constantly messes up" type of character instead of what she is now. This is one of the reasons I didn't hate the Mysterious Mare Do Well Episode (it was still not great, but not nearly as bad as everyone says). I still like her more than Rarity though because at least Rainbow Dash has a reason to be arrogant and egocentric. Rarity is manipulative just because she can.

Rainbow Dash is my least favorite of the Mane 6, and its actually a pretty big drop from 5th to 6th, (Order being Pinkie Pie/Fluttershy, Rarity, Applejack, Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash) Too me shes just an annoying character who gets in the way of me seeing the other Ponies more, but id take an RD episode over a Cutie Mark Crusaders anytime...They have their moments, but just arent as interesting as the mane 6.

Pretty much this.

She's also incredibly lazy. Every time she has bags (and it's always a ton of them), she gets someone else to carry it all (whether that be Spike (who she constantly takes advantage of), Sweetie Bell, or the stallion in Sweet and Elite). This is something snobby, stuck up rich people do who think they're too "superior" to carry bags or whatever.

I have to take exception to this, because I think that Rarity may in fact be the most *diligent* character in the series with the possible exception of Applejack and maybe comparable to Twilight.  Time and time again, she's shown to work *very* hard on her outfits, especially in Suited For Success, but also even in episodes like The Show Stoppers, Rarity Takes Manehattan, and even A Dog And Pony Show suggest that she really works hard at her craft, even to the point of exhaustion.  So I don't think it's fair to say that she's lazy when she's consistently shown to be working rather hard at her job.

• Brohoof 3

I think, as these responses have shown, a better topic title might be "Why do Rarity's fans and Rainbow Dash's fans both dislike each other's favorite character so much?" There seems to be a lot of fandom rivalry between poor Dash and Rarity.

Of course, I like them both a lot, even if Rarity's my favorite.

• Brohoof 5