Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How would you feel if a future season was as dark as....

SaburoDaimando

Well obviously they wouldn't be able to add darkness to each and every episode, but I think every once in a while (like the Nightmare Moon/Princess Celestria scene in the first episode of season 4, or perhaps a bit darker than that with the return of King Sombra or Chrysalis) would suffice.

Just remember, ff the writers ended up doing something too crazy, MLP will probably go downhill since it's supposed to appeal to a wide audience. It'd be interesting though, I mean the creators of MLP were already intelligent enough to appeal to everyone, so I'd like to see how a gloomy shade added would change the feel.

I think darkness has already been demonstrated in the song "Bats" with Applejack and Fluttershy. :)

1000px-Flutterbat_in_the_moonlight_S4E07

Edited by Saphipony
  • Brohoof 2

Well, I'm a fan of dark themes, so I'd be probably really happy, maybe it would add some depth to the story. Though I really like the show how it is and I don't necessarily want it to change. After all, I used to love MLP, because it's about adorable colorful ponies, living in the magical land and learning the magic of friendship. It's okay this way. But I'd love to see more episodes like 'Bats!'. It was a nice change and visually it was one of the best episodes.

• Brohoof 1

Well, I'm a fan of dark themes, so I'd be probably really happy, maybe it would add some depth to the story. Though I really like the show how it is and I don't necessarily want it to change. After all, I used to love MLP, because it's about adorable colorful ponies, living in the magical land and learning the magic of friendship. It's okay this way. But I'd love to see more episodes like 'Bats!'. It was a nice change and visually it was one of the best episodes.

I completely agree. :) Bats was amazing.

I really don't understand why some people look at this show, with its colorful, cartoony setting and characters, and almost consistently lighthearted silly mood, and think to themselves "ya, this needs to be be darker. This needs to be the literal polar opposite of what it's always been." I believe if the show did that it'd be called "jumping the shark"or genre shifting.

No offense op, but you should be able to take a good look at this show and conclude that turning it dark would be a horrendous idea, all things considered.

• Brohoof 1

I think it'd work in the series but I do have to agree with some of the other people here in that I do not personally think it'd make it better outright. The show, in my opinion, has flourished with so many people not because it has adult themes, but because it's themes of all-encompassing tolerance and happiness strikes home with a lot of people, adults included. For them to just throw that away in lieu of dark episodes where Fluttershy get's killed, or something of that nature would be a waste and a shame. However, if they introduced it subtly and didn't change any of the show's best features then I'd be all for it!

I understand the show is for a younger audience and something Batman Killing Joke dark is not wishful thinking, it's absurd and idiotic. I love the show because it's bright, colorful and reminds me of why I love cartoons in general. I believe if they want to do something dark, then have some limits. I mean we grew up with the following as kids back in the 90s and early 00s

Ash being killed by Mewtwo

Sponge Bob and Patrick dying in the gift shop 

Anything Disney 

People died in the Justice League cartoon

Kids aren't stupid, when I was a child I caught onto things like this. Have a nice blend of color and darkness. Because how can kids learn anything real if it's all sunshine and rainbows. Remember Canterlot Wedding? The mane 6 failed and Chrysalis won! But by story default Chrysalis was knocked out. It's stuff like that, not some edgy gore fest.

Personally, I like the way the show is set up now.  There are generally two-part specials at the beginning/end of each season that are pretty dark as compared to the rest of the show.  The episodes in-between have a few darker moments ("Party of One," for example), but for the most part, they are cute and lighthearted.

I like the idea of sprinkling on some epic adventures and dark villains to compliment the rest of the show, but I feel that it might get a bit boring if the entire show began to revolve around the darker elements.

Plus, they sometimes sneak in stuff like this, and that satisfies my creepypasta cravings for a while.

post-19482-0-33531500-1390439445_thumb.jpg

There have been plenty of dark things in the show already. Nightmare Night is clearly based off of Halloween, which is already a dark holiday. "Party of One" had a rather dark scene concerning Pinkie's depression. In "Baby Cakes", the part with Pound Cake flying is already too dark for a children's show, in my opinion. The writers also already sneaked Slendermane into an episode. And don't even get me started about "Bats!"