Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have You Ever Had Surgery?

Venomous

Some doctors thought I had an infection when I was newborn so they removed a gland but it turned out it was just swollen lol.

I will have MAJOR surgery in a few years though

Nope. Never had to have surgery in my life. 

When I was a baby I had an extra finger, but it was only skin and nail. I got that removed but it wasn't surgery. I think they literally just cut it off. XD

I swear I've seen a thread like this before, but it seems I never posted here before, so the answer is yes.

When I was 14 I had my wisdom teeth removed. My mouth bled for a while, but I got to have milkshakes (I can't chew anything and water doesn't do much) and watch South Park all day so it felt good afterwards.

When I was 17, I tore my ACL and Meniscus in my right knee playing football (American football). Took months of physical therapy before AND after the surgery, but my knee works great now. The surgery itself was arthroscopic, so I didn't actually go under the knife.

Once and I was very young, I think 2 or 3 years old. Around that time is when it was discovered that I had hydrocephalus and the surgery was to put a shunt in, which goes from my head to my stomach area. As weird as this may sound, I have a vivid memory of being in the operating room right before I went under the knock out process. After that I remember nothing, which is good. Surgery scares me and luckily my shunt has had no issues since then and apparently there are some that don't have further problems with them. Hopefully it stays that way.

• 2 months later...

I've had a few oral surgeries. 

The first one was for my last adult tooth, which was stuck in middle of the roof of my mouth. The other was for my wisdom teeth. 

I briefly woke up during the first one. >.>' 

You know those medical scenes in movies and tv shows, where the have the camera facing up where the person is, and there are lights and doctors hovering over it with masks and tons of medical equipment? That's exactly what it looked like. 

I think I remember someone telling me to open my mouth, or close it or something. So I did (I think, my mouth was numb at that point). 

The rest of the time I had a dream...thing, where I had no body and was just a bunch of energy floating down this fog/energy pathway made of all sorts of different colors... it was awesome at the time. Then after I woke up, I was like, what...... 

I woke up from the anesthesia pretty quickly. By the time I got home, I was wide awake, albeit still numb. *shrugs* 

• 3 months later...

I've had two surgeries in my life.

1)Getting my appendix removed. Over the coarse of a year, I had HORRIBLE abdominal pains in my right side. It wasn't until my 4th episode when I decided I really needed help. I went to the doctor and they asked what I had to eat (after asking what symptoms I had etc.) I told them I had a burrito the night before. They dismissed the pain as a "stomach upset". Well their diagnosis was WAY off. The pain continued on throughout the day and into the night. I stayed up all night, doubled over and crying because the pain was unbearable. The medicine the doctor prescribed didn't help and I desperately wanted to go to the ER. So the next day my mom took me to the ER. The nurses gave me an ultrasound to see if I had what they thought I had. Yup, my appendix was about to rupture. They rushed me into surgery and took the thing out. The doctors told me I was slowly being poisoned and they were glad they caught me in time.

2)Wisdom teeth; yes the dreaded wisdom teeth. I had all four removed from my mouth. >_<

Ohh! When I was ten (I think) I had to get surgery because I had infected ingrown toenails! :o I was too scared to do it in the office, so I had to get put to sleep. XD Those suckers hurt like crazy!!! I remember when I had to wear house shoes to school because they hurt so much. (I also remember when kids would accidentally step on my feet and I would cry. I always stood at the end of the line to try to avoid that from happening. XD )

My dad's rottweiler bit me on the face when I was 4. I had skin cancer removed from my back. Way back, maybe I remember it, anyway it's a horrible practice that needs to be banned. Angers me to even think about it. This might be inappropriate to talk about, so I leave it unknown. So in total that's three surgeries.

Edited by KeithDJohnson

I'm so blessed I haven't had any major health issues I've needed the hospital for. I'm 17 years so far in life, so I believe its bound to happen at some point, but hopefully not for a long time. 
Hospitals scare me. I can't go near one without feeling sick (or think about it too much). Surgery would be absolutely horrible for me, so I'm not going to try to think about it. l:

So far I haven't been affected by any major health problems luckily! :D

I tend to be pretty cautious when it comes to possibilities of danger, though some things are just unavoidable and I guess it all comes down to luck. Being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I must admit, the thought of surgery isn't a pleasant one. For some reason I always imagine it to be more painful than the actual problem itself! ^_^

Ohh! When I was ten (I think) I had to get surgery because I had infected ingrown toenails! :o I was too scared to do it in the office, so I had to get put to sleep. XD Those suckers hurt like crazy!!! I remember when I had to wear house shoes to school because they hurt so much. (I also remember when kids would accidentally step on my feet and I would cry. I always stood at the end of the line to try to avoid that from happening. XD )

They pit you to sleep to get your ingrown toenail removed?

I wish they had done that to me!n I cried like a baby when I get the anesthetic injections.

My dad's rottweiler bit me on the face when I was 4. I had skin cancer removed from my back. Way back, maybe I remember it, anyway it's a horrible practice that needs to be banned. Angers me to even think about it. This might be inappropriate to talk about, so I leave it unknown.

Can you please give some detail as to why it should be banned?

I've had two surgeries in my life.

1)Getting my appendix removed. Over the coarse of a year, I had HORRIBLE abdominal pains in my right side. It wasn't until my 4th episode when I decided I really needed help. I went to the doctor and they asked what I had to eat (after asking what symptoms I had etc.) I told them I had a burrito the night before. They dismissed the pain as a "stomach upset". Well their diagnosis was WAY off. The pain continued on throughout the day and into the night. I stayed up all night, doubled over and crying because the pain was unbearable. The medicine the doctor prescribed didn't help and I desperately wanted to go to the ER. So the next day my mom took me to the ER. The nurses gave me an ultrasound to see if I had what they thought I had. Yup, my appendix was about to rupture. They rushed me into surgery and took the thing out. The doctors told me I was slowly being poisoned and they were glad they caught me in time.

2)Wisdom teeth; yes the dreaded wisdom teeth. I had all four removed from my mouth. >_<

What did the appendix pain feel like?

I am very curious. Please describe it to me

• Brohoof 2

Had to have my ingrown toe nail removed, but the doctor(who i questioned his degree), decided not to numb my foot before he went to work on it. It took 4 staff to hold me down while he did it; i felt every minute of it. When he finished i smacked him one. "What the buck is wrong with you?!" is what i said to him afterwards. I was literally shaking from it. The workplace heard me screaming, and my mother saying to stop; not likely.

But the next time he did it again(no numbing it), i said buck no, and he swears at me like this: "Then fix your own damn fucking foot!!". I was shocked he said that to me, it was unprofessional and rude. So i switched from him and to another who actually numbed it for me and i haven't had problems since. 

Edited by Candy Star

Another surgical operation I had: removal of my wisdom teeth. All four teeth were removed in one operation, and I wasn't even sedated for it; I was kept awake, but my mouth was numbed.

Hmmm, I don't think I have posted in this thread before...

Yeah, I've had two surgeries.  One was getting my wisdom teeth removed.  The other was an appendectomy... gosh, appendicitis sucks  :maud: ...  Good thing is, it's not like I can get it again, lol!  

~ Mies

Had to have my ingrown toe nail removed, but the doctor(who i questioned his degree), decided not to numb my foot before he went to work on it. It took 4 staff to hold me down while he did it; i felt every minute of it. When he finished i smacked him one. "What the buck is wrong with you?!" is what i said to him afterwards. I was literally shaking from it. The workplace heard me screaming, and my mother saying to stop; not likely.

But the next time he did it again(no numbing it), i said buck no, and he swears at me like this: "Then fix your own damn fucking foot!!". I was shocked he said that to me, it was unprofessional and rude. So i switched from him and to another who actually numbed it for me and i haven't had problems since. 

There are some people who shouldn't be allowed to work.

Hmmm, I don't think I have posted in this thread before...

Yeah, I've had two surgeries.  One was getting my wisdom teeth removed.  The other was an appendectomy... gosh, appendicitis sucks  :maud: ...  Good thing is, it's not like I can get it again, lol!  

~ Mies

What does appendicitis feel like?

I've had surgery myself...

I had my wisdom teeth pulled too, but they used medicine to put me to sleep.

What did it feel like afterward?

There are some people who shouldn't be allowed to work.

My mother didn't want me badmouthing the previous one to my aunt katie, so i didn't; since she has it done like he did me.

Edited by Candy Star

What did it feel like afterward?

My mouth felt extremely numb after the surgery, particularly where the wisdom teeth were. I couldn't eat certain foods until a couple days after the surgery.

What does appendicitis feel like?

Well, here's a section of a post I made a couple weeks ago in a thread about painful experiences...

Appendicitis.  Long story short: One day when I was 17, at work in the summer, I had a slight stomach ache.  Didn't think anything of it.  As the day went on, it slowly got worse.  At dinnertime, I couldn't eat.  I felt sick.  The pain was increasing.  At midnight I was throwing up off and on.  Come about 2 or 3am, mom was really worried for me.  She said she wanted to take me to the ER.  If she hadn't offered I would have been begging to go.  Doctors did some tests, and said I needed surgery ASAP.  A few hours later, "one hundred, ninety nine, ni---" and I was out.  Woke up after surgery in one of the normal rooms.  I looked at my belly, saw the stitches, and was relieved.  Also, there was the added factor of the pain meds the doctor had given me through the IV.  Damn, they were good.  Really good, lmao.  Appendectomy successful, and pain free... it was a relief.

Essentially, it's a pain in the lower abdomen (basically, below the belly button, and above the waist).  It started off on just one side, but soon pretty much both sides and in front all had a super achy pain.

It's not fun.

~ Miles

Well, here's a section of a post I made a couple weeks ago in a thread about painful experiences...

Essentially, it's a pain in the lower abdomen (basically, below the belly button, and above the waist).  It started off on just one side, but soon pretty much both sides and in front all had a super achy pain.

It's not fun.

~ Miles

Is it like a sharp pain?

Can you explain exactly how it felt?

When I was 4 I got bitten by a spider in my sleep and the poison almost killed me. Had to have an operation to remove it. So far I haven met another person who has been bitten by a spider in the UK. I've had two hernia operations, I've been told that's really bad as I was only 14 for my second one. I used to get tonsillitis around 10-15 times a year, so they removed my tonsils.

Is it like a sharp pain?

Can you explain exactly how it felt?

It starts out dull, feeling like a mere belly ache, but progressively starts to become sharper.  It's fucking bad.  I felt like my insides had been subjected to a gosh-damn Kamehameha Wave.  

If you follow the arrow-link in my last quote back to the original post in that other thread, you will see I listed it as my number 1 most painful experience, more painful than my motorcycle wreck a few years ago, and even more painful than the minor concussion I got back in high school.

~ Miles

P.S.

*Note: No graphic material at all, however, some things may or may not be for those faint of stomach (don't click if you get grossed out too easily)

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/digestive-diseases-appendicitis

Me, I recently had surgery. I just have one advice: don't be drunk when a bicycle is hang in a tree like a piñata. it was my integration evening, I drank a lot, and someone gave me something to hit the bicycle (ah, the joys of alcohol). So I wanted to break the spokes (I was really drunk), and when the thing I had in my hand bounced, it broke, and that's the moment I realized that was a glass bottle I had in hand. I bled a lot, and I had to go to the emergency then it was around midnight. As a result? Two stitches on my right forefinger, and my father must search my at the hospital at 3:00 AM. So yeah, never be drunk when there's a bicycle hang in a tree like a piñata. Never.