Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have You Ever Had Surgery?

Venomous

I had an operation on my eye once... I was too young to remember it though... And when I was about six I had an ear operation... Though all I remember of that is waking up to my teddy having a bandage on his ear, being told before I was anaesthetised to try and count to ten... I got to eleven! xD being taken to the ward and given some disney coloring sheets to do... And being told I'm a brave girl because I wasn't sick when I woke up!

No memory of pain whatsoever!

On your eye? Whoa.

I would not be able to do that..

By any chance would getting my wisdom teeth remove count...

I had mine removed too, a few years back I went to the dentist for a regular checkup/cleaning and he talked to me and said that my wisdom teeth were impacted and needed to be removed. The look on my face must have been like I had been told I had cancer or something because the first words out of my mouth were literally "oh God no, what did I do wrong?" Fast forward a few months later and though I was awake the entire time of the procedure I was so numbed up with anesthetic than I didn't feel anything. Of course the worst part about it for me was not the pain because I have a notoriously high tolerance for pain and the pain from my first work related knee injury was 10 times worse than even the worst pain I felt while I was recovering from my wisdom teeth removal but was actually the hunger. I have the appetite of a monster and not be able to eat solid food was like a living hell for me, the first solid food I ate was fish and since I like fish anyway I shoveled it down like a man who hadn't eaten in days because that is exactly how I felt. When I got to eat my first steak since the procedure it almost felt like I was having an orgasm, it could have been as rough as shoe leather and if you heard me and didn't see me you would still think I was having sex.

This was thankfully the only time I needed any surgery, during my 3 and 4th work related knee injuries there was this time where I thought I might have needed surgery but thankfully I didn't and I hope I never get injured to the point where that is necessary.

• Brohoof 1

Oops well I guess I can add that to my surgery list too.

And to answer your question it was terrible for the first day. I ended up waking up from the anesthesia sick and they gave me medicine for it and I happened to be allergic to that so they gave me Benadryl and I passed out again, I still can't remember anything from 9 AM to 5 PM that day, but apparently I screamed at my sister to shut up when she wasn't even talking 0_0

Im not trying to scare anyone though, my situation was rare haha 

I count this as a surgery. I had my wisdom teeth removed and it was hell. Now I laugh at how fat my face got, how much it hurt, tearing a burrito with my teeth because I couldn't bite or be bothered with a milkshake diet, my mother throwing away my pain pills. By tossing my pills she gipped me out of some money.

I had mine removed too, a few years back I went to the dentist for a regular checkup/cleaning and he talked to me and said that my wisdom teeth were impacted and needed to be removed. The look on my face must have been like I had been told I had cancer or something because the first words out of my mouth were literally "oh God no, what did I do wrong?" Fast forward a few months later and though I was awake the entire time of the procedure I was so numbed up with anesthetic than I didn't feel anything. Of course the worst part about it for me was not the pain because I have a notoriously high tolerance for pain and the pain from my first work related knee injury was 10 times worse than even the worst pain I felt while I was recovering from my wisdom teeth removal but was actually the hunger. I have the appetite of a monster and not be able to eat solid food was like a living hell for me, the first solid food I ate was fish and since I like fish anyway I shoveled it down like a man who hadn't eaten in days because that is exactly how I felt. When I got to eat my first steak since the procedure it almost felt like I was having an orgasm, it could have been as rough as shoe leather and if you heard me and didn't see me you would still think I was having sex.

This was thankfully the only time I needed any surgery, during my 3 and 4th work related knee injuries there was this time where I thought I might have needed surgery but thankfully I didn't and I hope I never get injured to the point where that is necessary.

Man... that's how I felt too when I finally got to eat solid food.

Also to make matters worst for me was the day of or after my surgery my family made some spaghetti... I really wanted some. 

When I was 6, I had a hole in one of my muscles caused by a birth defect sealed up.

When I was 10, I fell on a bike into my neighbor's driveway and had a huge gash underneath my nose, among other injuries. Had to have surgery on the gash.

• Brohoof 1

Does appendicitis count?

From some of these posts, I guess it does.

This was in elementary school btw.

My mother had no idea I had appendicitis and kept feeding me Kool-Aid Sport, but I kept hurting.

She was really worried and finally decided to drive me to the hospital.

I had to stay in the hospital for a few weeks. But it was a good thing they had a GameCube for me to play.

Before I had to leave though, they had to pull a tube out of my belly. It was the most painful thing ever, I was screaming like hell.

Edited by SUPERFOX5
  • Brohoof 1

I had a year ago when I started having stomach pain and vomiting acid. 

My mother thought it was colic, but when was the doctor, saw that it was gallstones. 

I was in the hospital for several days, until the medic find a place in the operating room. 

I have the marks to date.

• Brohoof 1

I never had surgery before and I am scared in having to be put to sleep to go under the knife. My grandfather had a simple surgery but never woke up from it. I actually have a friend who is only in her 20s but has been through over twenty surgeries due to her various health problems which includes a pacemaker.

• Brohoof 1

After reading some of these stories and reading how old some of you are I feel at ease to share this.

Back when I was 19 (so this was 5 years ago) on Jan 8th 2008 I went under the knife for a 1cm tumor in my Cerebellum.  It was in my brain JUST the right way that it caused massive head-ache blackouts and very intollerable levels of anger and pain.  I spent a nine days the month before in the hospital for a black out that happened to find the problem, and had to wait for the doctor to come back from Chirstmas vacation. (I could have done it before hand, but he'd be gone if the fit hit the shan.)

Had Chirstmas with my family, forgave and asked forgiveness out of anyone owed or needed it from.  The day came and I just remember being so calm knowing that either I had a great life, or I was being given relief from my suffering.  Four hours later I spend three days (and three barf buckets) recovering to go home and still be alive today.

I still got a giant scar on the back of my neck going up to the back of my head half way.  I am working on getting my full strength back, I suffer from a bit of motor corodination with my hands, and I have a few memory/processing problems that I am working on each day.  Over all I am just thankful I had my Faith, my Family, and most of all a chance to know what True Peace felt like.  Given that on the scale of likelyhood 30% chance if the doc slipped I'm done 70% chance lost of a motor skill, im happy he 100% didnt slip and 100% helped me from finding out that with more time I would have had some serious cancer growing.

Quite a few surgeries in fact. Let's see, twice I had to get teeth removed. I needed to get a lump removed on the left side of my head. I had my tonsils taken out when I was very young as well.

Tonsil removal and teeth removals seem to the most common surgeries on this thread!

Well... no, I haven't; and I'm actually a bit scared about having surgery. This topic did remind me of my friend though - she cracked her head open a few years ago and had to get a ton of stitches. Ouch.

I don't blame you.

I am afraid of surgery, too.

I would not go down easy lol

After reading some of these stories and reading how old some of you are I feel at ease to share this.

Back when I was 19 (so this was 5 years ago) on Jan 8th 2008 I went under the knife for a 1cm tumor in my Cerebellum.  It was in my brain JUST the right way that it caused massive head-ache blackouts and very intollerable levels of anger and pain.  I spent a nine days the month before in the hospital for a black out that happened to find the problem, and had to wait for the doctor to come back from Chirstmas vacation. (I could have done it before hand, but he'd be gone if the fit hit the shan.)

Had Chirstmas with my family, forgave and asked forgiveness out of anyone owed or needed it from.  The day came and I just remember being so calm knowing that either I had a great life, or I was being given relief from my suffering.  Four hours later I spend three days (and three barf buckets) recovering to go home and still be alive today.

I still got a giant scar on the back of my neck going up to the back of my head half way.  I am working on getting my full strength back, I suffer from a bit of motor corodination with my hands, and I have a few memory/processing problems that I am working on each day.  Over all I am just thankful I had my Faith, my Family, and most of all a chance to know what True Peace felt like.  Given that on the scale of likelyhood 30% chance if the doc slipped I'm done 70% chance lost of a motor skill, im happy he 100% didnt slip and 100% helped me from finding out that with more time I would have had some serious cancer growing.

That's really scary..

I'm glad you're alive and doing better.

God bless

I had a year ago when I started having stomach pain and vomiting acid. 
My mother thought it was colic, but when was the doctor, saw that it was gallstones. 
I was in the hospital for several days, until the medic find a place in the operating room. 
I have the marks to date.

Vomiting stomach acid? Oh wow.

I can't imagine that tasting good :eww:

I had food poisoning once and I threw up everything in my stomach.. Some stomach acid, but mostly food lol.

Gallstones huh? That's... crazy

Yeah 2 times. 

Both for a hydrocele... now whats is a hydrocele you ask?.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrocele blah

I opened the link.

I wont mention anything else as it seems sorta... personal if you know what I mean

I have never had any surgery except the normal like tonsils, however, I have had a lot of stitches haha

Does getting stitches hurt? Do the doctors give you anesthetic before they start?

How does that play out

• Brohoof 1

Vomiting stomach acid? Oh wow.

I can't imagine that tasting good :eww:

I had food poisoning once and I threw up everything in my stomach.. Some stomach acid, but mostly food lol.

Gallstones huh? That's... crazy

I opened the link.

I wont mention anything else as it seems sorta... personal if you know what I mean

Does getting stitches hurt? Do the doctors give you anesthetic before they start?

How does that play out

When it comes to stitches the worst part imo is getting the anesthetic injected into you. I have had stitches above my eye (I can't remember these ones) and on my hand. The ones on my fingers hurt a lot because I had been stepped on by a hockey skate and it was so deep you could see the bone, they had to inject the anesthetic almost directly at the cut and it felt like someone was stabbing my bone with a needle, not my skin. The stitches part was relatively painless except when using the anesthetic you can still feel the pressure so it was more of mental pain of someone sewing my fingers rather than the actual physical pain of someone doing that. All in all though stitches are definitely the right option. I have had injuries from sports that I was told to man up for and later found out I needed stitches and the cuts that could use stitches that don't get them hurt and also open up alot.

• Brohoof 1

When filling holes in teeth don't count, then only one...and that was, when I was too young, to remember myself. I heard that from my mother. I drink something blue from something and stop breathing...Lucky me, a hospital was really close to our home, so everything ended happy^^

• Brohoof 1

"Major, major" surgery? No. In fact, I've never had any surgery at all, unless you count filling in cavities.

I did get stitches, once. That's a different story.

I hate getting cavities filled..

• 4 months later...

I've had surgery one time. When I was 13 I broke my arm, pretty horribly, and one of the bones twisted around in such a way as it would not fit back how it was supposed to without serious tampering, so I had surgery to put it back how it was supposed to be and stick a couple pins in it and the other broken bone (both bones in my forearm broke) to keep them behaving until they could heal properly.

• Brohoof 1

I never had one. My wisdom teeth did not need to be removed.

However, I did have appendicitis. That would normally require surgery. However; the doctors preferred to treat me with antibiotics. I would have preferred surgery.

With antibiotics, I stayed two weeks in hospital with a needle stuck in my arm. With surgery, it's only a couple hours to a couple days, I think. 

• Brohoof 1