Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does Maud Pie have Aspergers?

Rarity Paige Belle

No. She just expresses herself in an unusual way.

Why do fans constantly have to try to project real world psychological problems onto characters in this show?

Edited by SolarFox
  • Brohoof 44

Why do fans constantly have to try to project real world psychological problems onto characters in this show?

Why shouldn't she have Aspergers? I think it's a good thing when characters have medical and mental health problems and it'll show kids that it's okay to have Aspergers.

• Brohoof 22

Why shouldn't she have Aspergers? I think it's a good thing when characters have medical and mental health problems and it'll show kids that it's okay to have Aspergers.

Sure, but not every character in the show needs to have some real world psychological reason for being like they are. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Some shows are geared towards teaching children in this way, but Friendship is Magic isn't one of them. It teaches lessons about friendship, not psychology.

And really, I don't have a problem with fans speculating, I just notice that many fans feel a need to project real life problems onto the characters, and I sometimes wonder why.

Edited by SolarFox
  • Brohoof 13

Having (extremely mild) Asperger's myself (you probably would never notice it), I would say she does exhibit many traits of it, though most characters on TV shows, especially kids' TV, prefer to skirt around such labels (the lone exception regarding Asperger's on kids' TV is a one-off character on "Arthur" from the episode "When Carl Met George").

maud_morgendorffer_by_pegasusexpress2010

She reminds me more of Daria in terms of her personality type.

Edited by WindChaserPegasus
  • Brohoof 12

Having (extremely mild) Asperger's myself (you probably would never notice it), I would say she does exhibit many traits of it, though most characters on TV shows, especially kids' TV, prefer to skirt around such labels (the lone exception regarding Asperger's on kids' TV is a one-off character on "Arthur" from the episode "When Carl Met George").

maud_morgendorffer_by_pegasusexpress2010

She reminds me more of Daria in terms of her personality type.

Arthur is the best series when it comes to issues like this!

As a fellow aspie, it wouldn't surprise me if she did have Asperger's. 

You know, somepony could just tweet the writers and ask them...

Seconded, which is how I can reply to this thread so certainly.

• Brohoof 1

That was beautiful. Really, that is an amazing message, my little sister (The one that got me into MLP) has autism and a mild case of aspergers (I don't really know what either of them are, she's a little disconnected but I love her.) She is the most amazing person in the world to me, but the other kids at school make fun of her and as a result she hates herself. That really shines a bright light on it!

I feel this to be just a wrong thing to say. He's not trying to "Project real world problems" like most people in the world he's associating it to something he knows to try to get a better grip on the situation. You say it like it's a bad thing, but since when was having aspergers a bad thing? You can ask her any character for any movie and she'll tell you! That's amazing! I'm 'normal' and I can't. Honestly I think aspergers is more of an ability. A beautiful mind.

• Brohoof 3

I don't think she does, and even if she does- who cares? Keep in mind that she grew up on a rock farm, with dreary surroundings, and not much excitement to offer- if any at all. Rocks is all she's known for her entire life. I think when you're exposed to one thing your whole life, you're going to have some sort of "obsession" with it.

• Brohoof 2

That was beautiful. Really, that is an amazing message, my little sister (The one that got me into MLP) has autism and a mild case of aspergers (I don't really know what either of them are, she's a little disconnected but I love her.) She is the most amazing person in the world to me, but the other kids at school make fun of her and as a result she hates herself. That really shines a bright light on it!

I feel this to be just a wrong thing to say. He's not trying to "Project real world problems" like most people in the world he's associating it to something he knows to try to get a better grip on the situation. You say it like it's a bad thing, but since when was having aspergers a bad thing? You can ask her any character for any movie and she'll tell you! That's amazing! I'm 'normal' and I can't. Honestly I think aspergers is more of an ability. A beautiful mind.

It's not that Aspergers is bad. It's the fact that you are assuming the person has so and so psychological disorder without any concrete evidence. "Oh she doesn't express herself normally, she could have Aspergers!" No, that's not necessarily the case. And again it's not that we don't want her to have it, its just flawed logic to assume something like that. I have difficulty expressing myself at times, I can be quiet, I'm shy, but I don't have any disorder. I'm introverted which is a common personality trait.

If you are going to assume anything, it safe to assume and more likely that she is more on the introverted side of the personality spectrum. There is also a chance she isn't though. I can't really tell with her.

Lastly, only a Doctor, or in this case The Writer, are allowed to say whether so and so has a disorder. People shouldn't assume one has something just because of a certain little quirk they have. 

Edited by AnonBrony
  • Brohoof 8

It's not that Aspergers is bad. It's the fact that you are assuming the person has so and so psychological disorder without any concrete evidence. "Oh she doesn't express herself normally, she could have Aspergers!" No, that's not necessarily the case. And again it's not that we don't want her to have it, its just flawed logic to assume something like that. I have difficulty expressing myself at times, I can be quiet, I'm shy, but I don't have any disorder. I'm introverted which is a common personality trait.

If you are going to assume anything, it safe to assume and more likely that she is more on the introverted side of the personality spectrum. There is also a chance she isn't though. I can't really tell with her.

Lastly, only a Doctor, or in this case The Writer, are allowed to say whether so and so has a disorder. People shouldn't assume one has something just because of a certain little quirk they have. 

Let me pitch an idea at you. I look at an element on an oven, how do I know it's hot? I look for the signs. If it's red then most likely it's hot. I don't need any qualifications, I don't need to be an electrician. I use my reasoning to determine if it's hot. This wonderful pony acts in a manner very similar to my sister. I use my reasoning to determine weather or not I can see the effects of something. Element is red therefore hot. Maud lets off the sings.

If I may say, having a difficulty expression yourself is no where near aspergers. And if you noticed in the episode she said that she expresses herself via her clothing, by nature, yes, she's strange. I may or may not be a side effect of her aspergers, but that in no way changes who she is.

• Brohoof 3

I sense that in her, and something's gonna stir up as stated. I hope it doesn't and people learn that everyone's different. She also has a goth thing about her too, probably because of growing up on a depressing rock farm. 

If something gets "stirred up" by this, all its gonna prove is that lots of parents have nothing important to do with their lives.

Remember a time when a character could be kinda dumb, slow, quite, shy, introverted, loud, obnoxious, hyper, and all around kind of insane without it being some medical condition?  I do, and those were great times in my childhood.

I'm not saying she' doesn't have it, I'm not saying she shouldn't, but until the writer of the episode tweets that she does, I'm just gonna assume she's an introvert and enjoy the episode.

Also, why does everyone seem to have some form of Autism these days?  I've met more people in the last year or two who've been diagnosed than I have in the 26 years preceding them.

• Brohoof 4

Also, why does everyone seem to have some form of Autism these days?  I've met more people in the last year or two who've been diagnosed than I have in the 26 years preceding them.

Because the world has moved from saying someone's different, eccentric, or simply a freak to saying they have autism. It's really just semantics.

• Brohoof 2

Hmm,  could be. I don't know for sure :o

The thing with aspergers is that it can take many forms, and most asperger people can learn to become more sociable, and, they can even learn to express themselves and show their empathy.

In the end, aspergers is just a term to identify a certain personality style, imo. Simply because aspergers can be detected in the brain doesn't change the fact that the aspie has a unique personality, so.. It is a good thought, but I don't think it will make much of a difference.

I loved this part. It is true. However, I prefer to see it like, giving kids more insight into different kinds of personalities, rather than teaching kids to respect dissorders. Thats part of what the show is about, in my experience. 

• Brohoof 6

I do not think we have enough information to be able to judge accurately. Personally, I don't  think she does. To me, she just seems to have many rock-like characteristics, which would be the most likely intention of the writers.

• Brohoof 3

Well back to the topic on hand. I have a friend with aspergers and Maud has a lot of the traits he has. Not all of them because he also has ADHD like me, so he is more energetic then Maud but besides that they are allot alike. So I wouldn't be surprised if she did have aspergers.

Edited by Akavi
Quoting hidden post
  • Brohoof 1

Keep in mind, this is a children's show. Maud was written that boring for comedic effect, and it worked. Only we would explore her mental state in such detail (and probably will through a slew of fanfics in the near future).

That said, no, she probably doesn't have Asperger's because she was quite astute at determining that she and the other ponies had nothing in common and didn't want anyone to feel uncomfortable or hurt about it, least of all Pinkie Pie. I think the more realistic reason she is the way she is is because she has her parents as her parents. Pinkie Pie is, after all, the pink sheep of the family.

• Brohoof 2

People still acting like aspergers is a bad thing... Simply because it has a label does not mean it's bad! I mean; carrots contain Vitamin A, which helps with pregnancy, your liver and infection protection to name a few. It has a label, yet it is still a very good thing! Like I said earlier, my little brilliant minded sister has aspergers, so what? I have broken nerve endings in my left shin, it's a thing I have that makes me, ME! Sure in society it's not seen as a good thing (Which is society's problem) but it's still cool! You ask my sister to name every single named character in MLP, and she could!

Keep in mind, this is a children's show. Maud was written that boring for comedic effect, and it worked. Only we would explore her mental state in such detail (and probably will through a slew of fanfics in the near future).

That said, no, she probably doesn't have Asperger's because she was quite astute at determining that she and the other ponies had nothing in common and didn't want anyone to feel uncomfortable or hurt about it, least of all Pinkie Pie. I think the more realistic reason she is the way she is is because she has her parents as her parents. Pinkie Pie is, after all, the pink sheep of the family.

Having aspergers doesn't make you stupid... You can still connect to others and notice things, some cases make that ability stronger. All cases are different, some change factor A some alter property B. Aspergers is a cause, not a symptom.

Edited by Booh
  • Brohoof 3

Having aspergers doesn't make you stupid... You can still connect to others and notice things, some cases make that ability stronger. All cases are different, some change factor A some alter property B. Aspergers is a cause, not a symptom.

I admit I'm going only on what Wikipedia says. I don't know anyone with it (that I'm aware of). Still, I think Maud is just Maud.