Why is North Carolina against bronies?

ScarfaceOne

I live here and I haven't experienced a terrible amount of bullying.  The most I've gotten is from some crazy pregnant girl.

I'm the uber-conservative one.
Rainbow Dash x Kitchen Sink OTP
A great man once said, "ON MLP 4UMS ERRYTHIN IS SRS BSNS"
20% Chance I'm on my Wii U while posting this.

I am so glad that I wasn't raised by a family of religious dingbats, in a state full of regressive simpletons.

Like, really, really glad.

The kinds of stories I hear from places like that really don't belong in any self-respecting first-world nation.

I feel like where I live it's just taken for granted that you don't act like a dumbass and you mind your own business. And that place is Canada.

Welcome to Canada: where everything is whatever.

Same here. Was raised up in the west part of Canada.

The problem is that in the southeastern US (the ultra-traditional "Bible Belt"), people are intolerant.  North Carolina (except for the coast?) is part of this region, and unfortunately, that's where most MLP hate activities have occurred.  Although I disagree with his politics, it isn't Obama's fault.

post-8308-0-79770000-1395439789.png

Sig by Kyoshi

Ask me anything – http://mlpforums.com/topic/94670-ask-sstb-me/

(edited)

The problem is that in the southeastern US (the ultra-traditional "Bible Belt"), people are intolerant.  North Carolina (except for the coast?) is part of this region, and unfortunately, that's where most MLP hate activities have occurred.  Although I disagree with his politics, it isn't Obama's fault.

I Guess their bigoted then.

Also, here is how bad the hate gets. The guy in the documentary(Bronies:The extremely unexpected fans of MLP) said that he got the back of his car smashed up by Angry Rednecks and that his father was not very happy. He tried to explain it to him.

Edited by ScarfaceOne

The only victim in graffiti is the architect. Graffiti is not a crime.

• 1 year later...

From what I've seen I could only say that some individuals in NC are against bronies. I don't think it's fair to generalize an entire state population based on these individuals.

• Brohoof 1

you're looking at two instances in a state with a population of millions. No matter how publicized they were. For my part, I've been to over a dozen meetups in Charlotte without anyone saying a word. Anyone who's come up to talk to me when I'm wearing an mlp shirt has usually had something nice to say. Most of the time, people just don't even care at all.

I was intrigued when I read that Steven Ogg actually commented about bullying, so I looked him up and found an interview with the Bluescreen Bronies. 

And I know he's big for GTA, but this will always be my favorite scene involving this guy. This is from the Breaking Bad spinoff, Better Call Saul.

As someone from North Carolina myself, I can say that the majority of the people I know are not "rednecks" and the people that would classify as that are pretty open-minded. I've never known anyone who acted negatively against bronies (or any other fandom for that matter), and there are quite a few bronies in my area. None of them are treated poorly (most people just don't care), and some even wear My Little Pony related things to school, and they are treated just like anyone else and have plenty of friends.

As for open-mindedness, it's not a state full of "regressive simpletons" that are "behind the times." Literally everyone (including the teachers) in all my classes supports gay marriages, and there are a few bisexual and homosexual people in my school that are pretty popular with the students and faculty, and are not treated differently because of their sexuality. My family supports it as well. There are also a quite a few open atheists, and none of them are ever mistreated because of it; they're treated just like any other person.

This goes for other places I've been to in North Carolina; most people here are pretty accepting people, and I've never had anyone  mistreat me or another person. It's kinda rude to generalize a whole state just on the actions of a few people.

I think it's a little much to say the vast majority of NC hates bronies.

Trevor from GTA V says he hates them
Wait, what?

(edited)

LMAO I live in North Carolina and I would have to agree with you on this. It's probably because there are not a lot of open minded people here in this state. I live in a small town in NC and it's full of rednecks and the like. I mean "redneck" in the negative sense... I have yet to meet a single brony in my town and if that doesn't tell you anything then I don't know what will. 

including "rednecks", as you call them?

I don't hate rednecks but I do not like those people who try to be very obnoxious and try to intimidate others for no apparent reason. The kinds of "rednecks" I can't stand are those who hate homosexuals, try to pick fights with others, and wave the rebel flag around as some sort of intimidation tactic. I think you can see where I am going with this as well.

Edited by Gone Airbourne

(edited)

I guess American redneck are different from Canadian rednecks. As I've said before, my town is about as redneck as it gets, with every other person owning a quad, going hunting on weekends, etc. And yet, I wore a Rainbow Dash shirt twice in high school and no one cared. No one even brought it up. By the way, we also have about ten churches for a tiny population of 10,000.

Edited by TopQuark

Banner1_v2.png

Signature by Me

LMAO I live in North Carolina and I would have to agree with you on this. It's probably because there are not a lot of open minded people here in this state. I live in a small town in NC and it's full of rednecks and the like. I mean "redneck" in the negative sense... I have yet to meet a single brony in my town and if that doesn't tell you anything then I don't know what will. 

I don't hate rednecks but I do not like those people who try to be very obnoxious and try to intimidate others for no apparent reason. The kinds of "rednecks" I can't stand are those who hate homosexuals, try to pick fights with others, and wave the rebel flag around as some sort of intimidation tactic. I think you can see where I am going with this as well.

Yeah, I know, I see it all the time even where I live, one of the best towns, objectively, in South Carolina. But I know from personal experience that smiling in the face of opression is a good way to go, at least until it becomes a physical threat.

(edited)

I think it's a little much to say the vast majority of NC hates bronies.

Wait, what?

OMG By that I Mean Trevor hates North Carolinans!!! Not Bronies!!! LOL

Edited by ScarfaceOne
  • Brohoof 1

The only victim in graffiti is the architect. Graffiti is not a crime.

I guess American redneck are different from Canadian rednecks. As I've said before, my town is about as redneck as it gets, with every other person owning a quad, going hunting on weekends, etc. And yet, I wore a Rainbow Dash shirt twice in high school and no one cared. No one even brought it up. By the way, we also have about ten churches for a tiny population of 10,000.

The next town over from me has about the same amount of churches but only around 2,000. Every city near me has a bunch.

OMG By that I Mean Trevor hates North Carolinans!!! Not Bronies!!! LOL

Oh, I see. So Steven Ogg supports bronies? Or maybe even is one?

Last year I moved to South Carolina from Connecticut. Bronies are few and far between here, and on my Brony Facebook page (Myrtle Beach Bronies) a large majority of likes in SC and NC are female. I've tried to start a meetup group and after a year we still only have a few attendees. I'm 67, so I'm not as sensitive to the attitudes of others as younger people would be, but there is a very macho attitude expected both by males and females..Guns and churches abound. You'd think they'd be mutually exclusive, but the churches are just as hostile to each other as anyone. This is an area that really could benefit from the lessons the show teaches, and that's exactly the reason they don't watch it.