Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

a brony that does not watch the show

ranul

now first of all I do watch the show  and enjoy it

but I am wondering is there any one here who enjoys everything else here like the music or the fan fiction or the art  or the fan base or some thing else but doesn't enjoy the show its self

If you didn't enjoy the show then that doesn't really make you a brony. A brony is someone who's watched and liked the show and likes watching it so someone who's watched it and doesn't like it but does like the music and stuff... I don't really think that makes them a brony

• Brohoof 7

Dey's just a big fat PHONY.

But seriously. Yeah, I reckon you can be a brony without watching the show. Perhaps you only read the comics. Perhaps you like the fanart and read the occasional fanfic, but just don't enjoy the show. Perhaps you love the costumes and go to cons to see what creations everyone brings along.
I don't believe any of this makes you less of a brony. If you enjoy the concept, and see yourself as a fan of the franchise, then you're more than able to be considered a brony.

• Brohoof 1

Though it may be a bit out of the ordinary, a fan can simply be someone enjoying any aspect of the show. Sometimes I consider the media better than some of the show. I guess everyone is different.

Just about every definintion I looked up for "Brony" stated this:

So, what is a brony?
A brony is a fan of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic that is outside the target demographic of little girls. First impressions might be that bronies are creepy or gay, however that's a typical misconception. Most bronies are friendly teenagers and young adults that simply aren't afraid to admit that they enjoy a show that is innocent, colorful, and funny.

But personally, I can't understand calling yourself a brony if you never watched, or cared for the show. But at the same time I would call them a brony, but not the 'best type of bronies' I'd like to be called, "followers." Or as the video "Let's Go Meet the Bronies" video has stated

"Though the growth in Pony Fandom, may simply seem abusrd. True fans LOVE the show, while others gallop to the herd"
- voiced by John DeLancie

So you in my book may call yourself a brony if you don't care to watch the show or don't like the show, but like everything else about the fandom, however I would call you a follower brony. A fan who simple is a fan cause either your friends like it or cause you want to do something different.
  • Brohoof 2

At some point I think all bronies have a decent grasp on the characters of the show. It might be indirect influence, but that is a given.

Saying you're a Brony that doesn't watch MLP is like calling yourself a Trekkie even though you don't watch Star Trek or a Whovian even though you don't watch Dr. Who. It just doesn't work that way, I'm sorry. 

:D

• Brohoof 6

If you didn't enjoy the show then that doesn't really make you a brony. A brony is someone who's watched and liked the show and likes watching it so someone who's watched it and doesn't like it but does like the music and stuff... I don't really think that makes them a brony

Yeah I think that would make someone more of a fan of pop culture rather than the mlp franchise.

So, what is a brony?
A brony is a fan of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic that is outside the target demographic of little girls. First impressions might be that bronies are creepy or gay, however that's a typical misconception. Most bronies are friendly teenagers and young adults that simply aren't afraid to admit that they enjoy a show that is innocent, colorful, and funny.

But personally, I can't understand calling yourself a brony if you never watched, or cared for the show. But at the same time I would call them a brony, but not the 'best type of bronies' I'd like to be called, "followers." Or as the video "Let's Go Meet the Bronies" video has stated

"Though the growth in Pony Fandom, may simply seem abusrd. True fans LOVE the show, while others gallop to the herd"

So you in my book may call yourself a brony if you don't care to watch the show or don't like the show, but like everything else about the fandom, however I would call you a follower brony. A fan who simple is a fan cause either your friends like it or cause you want to do something different.

Saying you're a Brony that doesn't watch MLP is like calling yourself a Trekkie even though you don't watch Star Trek or a Whovian even though you don't watch Dr. Who. It just doesn't work that way, I'm sorry. 

:D

^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^

I’m with Dr Gif, Lightning Bliss, Digit and Ghostface killer on this one:

If someone isn’t into the show but likes the art of whatever fair enough. But I wouldn’t define that person an actual brony: I define a brony as someone whose outside the target demographic whose into the show MLP FIM, someone who just likes the none show stuff I don’t think really fits into the name brony.

Having said all that, I wouldn’t all the same see it as a big deal if someone just likes being called a brony or whatever :)

Frankly, the very definition of the word "brony" has been arbitrary at best. So many people have had their hand in trying to define and redefine what being a brony actually entails that I'm hard-pressed to condemn someone who doesn't watch or enjoy the show as a "wannabe". Maybe there are some who've given the show a try, thought that it was too saccharine for their tastes, but found the darker tone of the IDW comics to be much more appealing. Not too far-fetched of a thought, I don't think.

So yeah, I think such people could be considered bronies. They may not be into the show, but as long as they're into the culture, they're very much a brony by my own definition. I'll never understand why they don't like this neat little show most of us have grown to adore so much, but hey, diversity within bronydom is seldom a bad thing.

Yeah, there are some people who call themselves bronies but don't like the show.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me though, because all the fanworks that they like are tributes to this show they don't like.

Yeah, there are some people who call themselves bronies but don't like the show.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me though, because all the fanworks that they like are tributes to this show they don't like.

That's the thing, though - they could enjoy the idea of a world inhabited by sapient ponies, but not necessarily enjoy the way it's executed in the show.

That's the thing, though - they could enjoy the idea of a world inhabited by sapient ponies, but not necessarily enjoy the way it's executed in the show.

At this point tho your treading that thin line over furry fandom.

At this point tho your treading that thin line over furry fandom.

An *arbitrarily* drawn line, at that. Which is why I find it kind of pointless to make "brony" into some kind of concrete label that only applies to some people under needlessly specific circumstances. As long as they're into the brony culture, they're a brony (assuming they desire to associate as such), just as someone who's into the furry fandom can be a furry.

As others have said, you can't really be a Brony if you don't watch the show and enjoy it. That's like, a basic requirement, lol. But I can see how many fans can be recruited by the amazing fan art, from what I've heard that's how many people joined the herd, not all, but quite a handful.

I personally don't know any Bronies who don't watch the show, but I suppose there could be some out there. :)

So, what is a brony?

I'm just going to say bluntly that what you say after the exerpt is wrong. No, it's not an opinion, it's simply incorrect. Sorry.

Firstly, you have highlighted the part about watching the show. But you've missed an even more important part, further up the top.

"A brony is a fan of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic that is outside the target demographic of little girls."

All bronies are fans of Friendship is Magic. Not all fans watch the show - only the majority do.

Finally, you're simply incorrect about calling people who don't watch the show "follower bronies". They're not a part of the fandom just because their friend is, or they want to be different. They're a part of the fandom because they want to be. Not all religious people attend seminars - this doesn't suddenly make them atheists.

If you're a brony, you are a fan of Friendship is Magic. It's as simple as that.

I'm just going to say bluntly that what you say after the exerpt is wrong. No, it's not an opinion, it's simply incorrect. Sorry.

Firstly, you have highlighted the part about watching the show. But you've missed an even more important part, further up the top.

"A brony is a fan of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic that is outside the target demographic of little girls."

All bronies are fans of Friendship is Magic. Not all fans watch the show - only the majority do.

Finally, you're simply incorrect about calling people who don't watch the show "follower bronies". They're not a part of the fandom just because their friend is, or they want to be different. They're a part of the fandom because they want to be. Not all religious people attend seminars - this doesn't suddenly make them atheists.

If you're a brony, you are a fan of Friendship is Magic. It's as simple as that.

Well that's your opinion and I respect that, I have my own. That's just my view on it, it may change over time but for now I stick with what I got.

Well, you technically are NOT considered a brony if you haven't at least watched a season or two and enjoyed it. You can't browse fan art and whatnot and say: "Hey, I'M A DEDICATED BRONY NAO :D". You have to be at least a little into the show!