Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

a brony that does not watch the show

ranul

Why would you call yourself a brony if you haven't even seen the show? Isn't that the whole point?

I suppose you could just enjoy the dolls or the comics, but to be honest those things are nothing on the actual show.

Saying you're a Brony that doesn't watch MLP is like calling yourself a Trekkie even though you don't watch Star Trek or a Whovian even though you don't watch Dr. Who. It just doesn't work that way, I'm sorry. 

:D

This is the truth!  LOL  I can't imagine why you would like just the fan art.

• Brohoof 1

now first of all I do watch the show  and enjoy it

but I am wondering is there any one here who enjoys everything else here like the music or the fan fiction or the art  or the fan base or some thing else but doesn't enjoy the show its self

With the whole Princess Twilight stuff, I find myself a bit distanced from the show.  What I enjoy most of all right now are the episodes where her Princessness is downplayed, like Testing Testing 1 2 3, fan artworks, fan livestreams, and the like.  I still feel a bit saddened that JJ has backed WAY down on his Livestreams and pony works.  He was a fav artist of mine, and I always enjoyed watching his streams with Jen popping in. 

I can see someone who watches the show and enjoys it, but just happens to be more passionate about the other aspects of the franchise. I just don't get not liking the inspiration behind all the other content.

(edited)

I do have to ask, what about those who are fans of the Comics over the show?

Take me for example, I like Transformers G1 but I think the Transformers G1 Comics are much better than the actual show is. Am I not a fan of G1?

Edited by The Coffee Man

Maybe. You're example is well taken and I completely agree with you about that. Same for G.I. Joe comics.

• Brohoof 1

The show is indisputebly the core of the fandom no doubt, but I suppose some fans could be more into things like the toys, comics, and fanworks, and that's okay really... as long as they don't forget the roots of the awesome show anyway. ;)

• Brohoof 2

My friend is a brony and he doesn't watch the show every Saturday.

He makes fan art, has his own Ponysona, and will occasionally watch episodes with me.

I consider myself a pretty huge fan of the show. I have been since season 2. Those days I binge-watched whole seasons. But these days I dont watch the show nearly as often as I used to. In fact, I havent seen an episode since the one with Maud Pie came out. Why? Just never felt the urge to. But like I said I still see myself as a fan. At the moment, even if I dont like the direction the show turned, I love the comic series and above all, the community. For those reasons Im still involved in the fandom. Ill just watch the missed episodes later when I want to more. Also, all of my gamertags are mlp related :P

Most bronies don't have to watch the show, but they can produce the content that the fandom makes and occasionally watch some episodes. So, it could count somewhat.

I do have to ask, what about those who are fans of the Comics over the show?

Take me for example, I like Transformers G1 but I think the Transformers G1 Comics are much better than the actual show is. Am I not a fan of G1?

I'd say you are, but there's a bit of a difference in that the G1 comics and tv series for Transformers came out at the same time more or less, and as they are separate universes with their own "canon", neither of which is considered more important than or overriding the other. 

With MLP, everything is an offshoot of the show, even the comics.  The comics defer to the show in terms of canon, not the other way around. 

That's a good question.

I know of other fandoms in which most people just like the merchandise but strongly dislike the show, and yet still call themselves dedicated fans. :/

If someone really likes the characters, merchandise, and other canon stuff I think they would be a My Little Pony fan but not a "brony" or "pegasister". There are probably collectors who buy lots of MLP: FIM merchandise but they wouldn't be considered a "brony" in my opinion because the term usually applies to the show.

If someone just likes the MLP fanfics and fanart I wouldn't call them a fan at all.

(edited)

I don't necessarily consider myself a "Brony" and have never referred to myself as one.  I've watched some video clips and seen a couple episodes of the show proper, but I just wasn't sure if it was my cup of tea.  That being said, I enjoy the art style, like some of the characters, have a Funko Rainbow Dash perched on my entertainment center, and am giving serious (as serious as a guy crushing on Rainbow Dash can get lol) consideration to just buying the first season and seeing how I feel by the end of it.  I know that if I buy it, I will feel an obligation to give it a real chance.

Even if I DO get into the show itself, I don't think I'll label myself a Brony.  Yes, I'm a guy, but "Pegasister" just...  Sounds cooler to me lol.  Therefore I will be a "PegaMister" *points to his user name*.  I'm a tentatively aspiring pegamister.

Edited by PegaMister

I don't necessarily consider myself a "Brony" and have never referred to myself as one.  I've watched some video clips and seen a couple episodes of the actual show, but I just wasn't sure if it was my cup of tea.  That being said, I enjoy the art style, like some of the characters, have a Funko Rainbow Dash perched on my entertainment center, and am giving serious (as serious as a guy crushing on Rainbow Dash can get lol) consideration to just buying the first season and seeing how I feel by the end of it.  I know that if I buy it, I will feel an obligation to give it a real chance.

Even if I DO get into the show itself, I don't think I'll label myself a Brony.  Yes, I'm a guy, but "Pegasister" just...  Sounds cooler to me lol.  Therefore I will be a "PegaMister" *points to his user name*.  I'm a tentatively aspiring pegamister.

If you have access to Netflix they have the first three seasons and Equestria Girls available. It's how I first got into the show anyway. :D

now first of all I do watch the show  and enjoy it

but I am wondering is there any one here who enjoys everything else here like the music or the fan fiction or the art  or the fan base or some thing else but doesn't enjoy the show its self

In all honesty, I think you can be a brony without enjoying the show.

(edited)

Yep I became a brony due to the fandom and the stuff they put out over the show. I gave the show a chance watched a bunch of episodes, and it does not fully appeal to me. On the other hand fan made animations and fanfictions are made so well a include things that the show is very much lacking along with things Hasbro would never allow being a kids show and all. I have mentioned a bunch of things the show is lacking is some of my older posts as well.

Although there are some episodes I do enjoy, Its very few and its specific parts of episodes rather than the whole episodes itself.

Edited by GXPBlast

If you have access to Netflix they have the first three seasons and Equestria Girls available. It's how I first got into the show anyway. :D

That's where I gave the show a little test run, actually; though I've since cancelled the service.  There was just something about having MLP in my queue when I shared the room with someone that promised to result in awkwardness xD.  Which is bordering on stupid and incongruous, because I've *told* close family members about my interest in cartoon ponies.  I stand trembling on the fringe of sort-of Brony-dom!  I think, perhaps, Pinkie Pie frightens me somewhat lol.

Long before becoming a brony I enjoyed some of the fan-made music and videos. I never sought out fan art, but still appreciated the quality of much of it (even joking about becoming a brony to become a better artist or gamer). There is more to the fandom than just ponies, so it is understandable that some of the culture would overflow and appeal to non-bronies. I didn't consider myself a brony until I actually watched the show, but it is definitely possible to enjoy the culture and interacting with the community even without joining the herd.

Well that's your opinion and I respect that, I have my own. That's just my view on it, it may change over time but for now I stick with what I got.

But that's not what I was saying. You're saying it's your opinion as to why others would like FiM but not watch the show. I was saying that can't be a subjective matter. It doesn't matter how many times you call a cat a fish, it's still a cat.

Some people may like the franchise because of their friends. But others don't(and I would argue that those who do it to be 'hip' are in the minority). You can't lump everyone who doesn't watch the show into a single category. Even less so a category that makes bold assumptions about them and belittles them as fans of FiM.

• 3 years later...