Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Dark Qiviut

Which flaw or weakness stood out to you most?  

15 users have voted

1. 1. Which flaw or weakness stood out to you most?

• The lack of subtlety
    • Unlikeable/out-of-character behavior of the Mane Six
    • Racism used as a backdrop for the moral
    • The moral being told to the Mane Six directly instead of learning by example
    • Apple Bloom leaving Apple Teeny for dead in the Everfree Forest
    • Broken execution of the racism premise
    • Karmic humor the Mane Six suffered
    • Zecora
    • Other (explain below)

(edited)

Note: For the collection of other "Pick a Flaw" episode threads, head over to the "Pick a Flaw" blog portal (which'll be updated periodically) or check the list at the bottom of the OP.

In a supposedly innocent canon, Friendship Is Magic tackled some very serious issues. Although season four is the most mature morally, the first tackled them head on very early: racism in Bridle Gossip. Just like Look Before You Sleep, this is one you'll either love or hate most of the time. Personally, I don't like it (and I used to like it), but there's plenty to rant into in a minute.

To quote from the Dragonshy PaF thread:

Those who know about these threads, you know how they work. To those coming to one of these threads for the first time, pick ONE of the possible flaws above and explain why it bothers you the most (even if it's just a smidgen). If it's not any of the options, click "other" and explain why.

Be warned:

1. "Other" does NOT stand for "this episode is (mostly) flawless."
  2. These threads don't mean this person dislikes the story.

I won't cut corners. This episode is FACTUALLY terrible!! Without a shadow of a doubt, it's the WORST episode in season one and second-worst in the series behind One Bad Apple. Worst than Boast Busters, Show Stoppers, Boast Busters, and Owl's Well. It's bottom-tier terrible that the karmic humor doesn't save it. Most of the reasons why it's godawful are listed in the poll above.

But if there's one I had to choose, it's "other" for a combination of both lazy writing of the premise and the premise used as a backdrop for the moral. (For this, I can't just use one.) Each scene heavily relied on the typical "misunderstanding" cliché with little to deviate from and poor characterization to resolve it. If you watch this discussion between Dr. Wolf and Cloud Cookoo Country (the starting point's given), this episode creates a poorly written gimmick in its execution not just in the episode itself, but its resolution, too. One thing's for sure: If you're going to address racism, don't screw up. Tackle it directly without using offensive clichés, and don't use it as a lazy gimmick. Do it otherwise, your episode's gonna suck, and the subtext will really offend a lot of people.

Season 1:

Season 2:

Season 4:

Edited by Dark Qiviut

I choose to not see the problems in the episodes and I'm trying to not think about it. Don't argue with me on that, I have had a long discussion on YouTube with a fella I don't want to mention, and I don't wanna do it again.

I didn't realise that this episode tackled racism until I read this thread. But If I had to choose one It would be that everyone is "scared" of Zacora except Twilight, even Applejack and Rainbow Dash hides from her.

I liked this episode - I found it to be enjoyable throughout, and humorous to boot, with the way the poison joke affected the mane 6 :D

Hairity was still cute

Anyway, if I had to pick a flaw, it'd be Apple Bloom just ditching her miniscule sister in the dangerous forest - that didn't really sit well with me. They're family, you know? You just don't leave them to die like that, especially when they're 5 inches tall.

(edited)

I don't think this episode is worse than Boast Busters or Owl's Well, but it's still pretty bad. 

There was an unsettling mean-spirited tone to the episode, the characters come across as hotheaded idiots, and the never judge a book by its cover moral felt.......off. Despite all this I thought this episode was hilarious, and that Zecora was amazing, in fact Apple Bloom was pretty cool too......Well mostly cool, anyway...

I have to choose leaving Appletini stranded in the Everfree. It was established in episode two that the Everfree is a very dangerous place in Equestria, and that this is well known by its inhabitants. SO WHY IN CELESTIA'S NAME WOULD YOU LEAVE YOUR CURRENTLY THREE-INCH TALL SISTER ALONE IN IT TO FEND FOR HERSELF!!!? WHY!?

Edited by Dry Colt

I didn't like the reactions of the other Mane 5 and the reactions of the overall town in general towards Zecora. Wasn't it Pinkie who told us to "Giggle at The Ghosties" and now she's suddenly hiding like a scared little filly? You'd think she would have been the first to run up to Zecora and say hi while simultaneously offering to hold her a "Welcome to Ponyville!" party. 

I know that they used racism as a backdrop, but I don't think it was done badly per say.  While the abandoning of Teeny Jack in the Everfree forest was pretty bad, I'd have to say that the most glaring flaw is the lack of erectile dysfunction jokes at Twilight.
I mean lack of subtlety.  Yeah, that.