Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Dark Qiviut

Which flaw or weakness stood out to you most?  

16 users have voted

1. 1. Which flaw or weakness stood out to you most?

• Applejack's and/or Rarity's childish characterization
    • Twilight's constant obliviousness
    • Twilight being shoehorned
    • The climax
    • Expository dialogue
    • The contrived cause of the conflict
    • Lack of proper aging altogether
    • Other (explain below)

(edited)

Note: For the collection of other "Pick a Flaw" episode threads, head over to the "Pick a Flaw" blog portal (which'll be updated periodically) or check the list at the bottom of the OP.

If you're familiar with bottleneck episodes, Look Before You Sleep (Charlotte Fullerton's first episode) is a fantastic example. Most of the time, the plot takes place in Twilight's library with varying steps on accomplishing a successful sleepover. Unfortunately, Rarity and Applejack refuse to cooperate, and their personalities clash with one another.

This is an episode where you're either going to love it or hate it. There are plenty who love it because Rarity and Applejack are funny, and Twilight's adorkable side makes her debut here. On the other hand, Rarity and AJ act way too immaturely along with a contrived reason to head to Twilight's house and climax to solve the conflict.

To quote from the Dragonshy PaF thread:

Those who know about these threads, you know how they work. To those coming to one of these threads for the first time, pick ONE of the possible flaws above and explain why it bothers you the most (even if it's just a smidgen). If it's not any of the options, click "other" and explain why.

Be warned:

1. "Other" does NOT stand for "this episode is (mostly) flawless."
  2. These threads don't mean this person dislikes the story.

Like Dragonshy, this is one of those season-one episodes that hasn't aged so gracefully, except Dragonshy ages mildly better. Initially, LBYS was a simply hilarious episode with Twilight, Rarity, and Appljack playing off each other. In a way, it's one of the most "innocent" episodes early on. However, upon further viewings, the issues appear, but since this is Pick a Flaw and not List the Flaws, I'll choose the biggest.

Rarity and Applejack behave extremely terribly throughout, portraying themselves as spoiled children with the schoolyard pettiness and arguing. How much you laughed depends on you, but the bantering becomes very cringeworthy and therefore distracting. Overall, this is an episode that's mediocre at best, and the childish arguing between Rarity and AJ is the most obvious and biggest issue.

Season 1:

Season 2:

Season 4:

Edited by Dark Qiviut

I might as well just copy and paste my review from my Complete Season 1 review.

It's average. I liked that it was similar to the Spongebob episode, Party Pooper Pants, but it's not as good as the other Rarijack episode in the series, Simple Ways, in my opinion. The plot's been way too overdone and most of the episode is incredibly boring, with no climax until the tree scene and that was solved in like, a few minutes. Also, TWILIGHT SPARKLE THREW THE PARTY? At the beginning of this season, we figured out that she hated parties, why didn't Pinkie Pie through it instead? It could've been a much better episode.

Also, I just realized I spelled throw wrong. FML.

Applejack and Rarity behavior "made" this episode, while Twilight was a bit boring throughout the story.

=> Twilight's obliviousness.

• Brohoof 1

Applejack and Rarity had an excellent dynamic throughout, and it was definitely what made this episode great. They're always the best duo, though :D Characterization wasn't off by a bit - most arguments of that nature are somewhat immature, anyway - and they ended up working it out in the end. I can't really say that their characterization behavior is a flaw, and I'm somewhat puzzled by how people are considering it one :huh:

Anyway, in a mostly flawless episode, I went with Twilight's obliviousness, even though it wasn't one that bothered me too much - she's not an idiot, and she seemed somewhat goofy in this episode, even for someone who's not totally used to socialization yet. It didn't bother me, but I felt the obliviousness was the only one of those options worth picking :D

I had to choose Twilights obliviousness. Even though pretty much all of this episode bothers me. Or rather BORES me. I honestly can't watch this episode and STAY focused on it at all. Which is odd because usually I like slumber party type episodes. There's nothing that pisses me off about the episode. It just really bores me.

This episode was one of the first I ever saw, and while it's not as bad as I originally thought, it's still not a very good episode. Applejack's and Rarity's squabbling, while entertaining at first, dragged on far longer than it should have and just got more and more childish as it went on.

I loved Twilight in that episode. That's the characterization of her I find fun and it showed she still had a long way to go socially.

AJ and Rarity, though... yeah, this one didn't do any favors in initially attracting me to Applejack.

I said Twilight's obliviousness, but not for the reason most think. She actually was aware of Rarity and Applejack's subtle fighting and was trying to diffuse it. She even said so. What got me is how she became catatonic when the tree crashed through the window, conveniently leaving it to Rarity and Applejack to solve together when she could have used her magic to get it out of the room herself.