Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Dark Qiviut

Which flaw or weakness stood out to you most?  

15 users have voted

1. 1. Which flaw or weakness stood out to you most?

• The Mane Six not noticing Fluttershy's fright despite it being obvious
    • Fluttershy's timidness dominating the story
    • Celestia's lack of involvement
    • Rainbow Dash's behavior
    • The dragon being yelled at
    • Other (explain below)

(edited)

Note: For the collection of other "Pick a Flaw" episode threads, head over to the "Pick a Flaw" blog portal (which'll be updated periodically) or check the list at the bottom of the OP.

Dragonshy marks the first Fluttershy-centric (and self-contained adventure) episode in the series, and it's heralded as one of the earliest favorites in the entire series fr Fluttershy's development, the action, and strong moral being shown in the story. Moreover, this is Meghan McCarthy's first published episode of the series.

Of course, no episode is perfect, and I compiled a list of complaints that I read when reviewing Dragonshy. Those who know about these threads, you know how they work. To those coming to one of these threads for the first time, pick ONE of the possible flaws above and explain why it bothers you the most (even if it's just a smidgen). If it's not any of the options, click "other" and explain why.

Be warned:

1. "Other" does NOT stand for "this episode is (mostly) flawless."
  2. These threads don't mean this person dislikes the story.

Season 1:

Season 2:

Season 4:

Edited by Dark Qiviut

(edited)

This episode was almost flawless, it's hard to find something. :P

There wasn't anything special in it. I really like it, but except Fluttershy yelling at the dragon, nothing was really memorable.

=> Forgettable episode.

Edited by Blobulle

Honestly, for a much better execution of the plot in a similar show, I'd check out Littlest Pet Shop's Gailbreak (Season 1, Episode 4). It had stronger use of the whole cast, better humor, and a more entertaining climax. Also, M. A. Larson wrote it.

I just found it repetitive and not too entertaining. Fluttershy was a millstone most of the episode, and the speech to the dragon wasn't impressive enough to weigh it out in my mind. 

This episode seemed great the first time I saw it, but as the series has improved it has definitely gotten lost along with a lot of season one episodes for me. I say Fluttershy's timidness is overdone a little, particularly with the leaf scaring her.

(edited)

On the one hand, even by this point it was kinda hinted at that Fluttershy tends to blend into the background by personal choice, avoiding big crowds and gatherings. On the other hand though, I find it hard to believe that she kept being completely ignored despite sometimes standing less than two feet from them. Or maybe Ponyvillians just tend to be oblivious to their surroundings considering nobody noticed the huge black smoke clouds until Twilight pointed it out to them. 

Edited by PoisonClaw

(edited)

Rainbow Dash's behavior I guess, as it just feels outright contradicting when I watch her behavior in this episode, then look at RD and FS's developing past and friendship throughout the series

Edited by Megas75

RD's behavior, no doubt. She was a total bitch in this episode, to put it bluntly, and it was one of the numerous times in this series that I've questioned why the fandom likes her as much as they do.

I like RD, but she's A.) had a canonically long friendship with Fluttershy, dating back to their days as fillys, as evidenced in "The Cutie Mark Chronicles." She should know these things about Fluttershy, and she should know how timid she is - this is a friend she's had since childhood, and she treated said childhood friend like dirt throughout the majority of the episode. I was cringing at her behavior throughout the episode - and all people talk about is Rarity's behavior in "Sonic Rainboom." What about this episode, or "Mysterious Mare Do Well," or "May the Best Pet Win?" this is something that's always bothered me about the fandom, at least, before Season 4 - they never would hesitate to call Rarity out on her bad behavior, but they'd hesitate and do everything they could to avoid RD's bad behavior - or, shit, even try and deflect it onto her friends on one occassion. Disgusting, cowardly, cringeworthy - just like RD's behavior in this episode.

Don't think I'm hating on RD, though - she's had her low points, but I still like her quite a bit :D

Dragonshy is one of my favorite episodes, probably my favorite episode of season 1. After watching this episode, i was 100% sure that I LOVED My Little Pony and Fluttershy. Fluttershy is just too freakin cute.

That being said, Rainbow Dash is a complete biach in this episode. She really annoyed me.  >_>

That's really my only complaint about Dragonshy.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I love this episode, but RD was a bit rude in this, so I choose that.

SIDE NOTE: They did notice that she was scared, but they didn't think she was scared of dragons. I think this is an understandable response considering that she faints over a leaf landing on her hindquarters, hides from her own shadow out of fear.

Edited by Dry Colt

• 1 month later...

(Sorry for bumpin' this thread)

After watching this episode 2 days ago, I really have to say a thing or two about Rainbow Dash's behavior. She's an overall jerk in this episode, having no faith in Fluttershy at all.

A lot of people complained about her behavior in Mare Do-Well, but in this episode, she's 10 times worse IMO.