Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What part of a game do you enjoy the most?

PoniesPlease

Poll  

26 users have voted

1. 1. What part of a game do you enjoy the most?

• Gameplay (It could be Minecraft's, or Team Fortress', or any other gameplay mechanics)
    • Narrative (Story, etc.)
    • Graphics (This governs overall graphics, such as texture quality or animations)
    • Audio (Everyone loves a good soundtrack, but maybe you also enjoy realistic sounds or even ambient sounds, like birds)
  2. 2. Which parts of a game would make you clamour for a sequel?

• Gameplay
    • Narrative
    • Graphics
    • Audio

While I do love a good bit of gameplay, I have to say that it's the audio that really does it for me. It's those memorable tunes and themes that are so memorable, and you never really do forget them! Some of my favourite examples are songs as "Song of Storms" from Legend of Zelda, or the very well known "Super Mario Bros" theme. It's these things that will leave a lasting impression on you, bringing back fond memories from a time gone by...

(edited)

Gameplay, duh. I really enjoy games with a good bit of difficulty, but not ridiculously hard *cough cough* Contra, Battlefield Bad Company 2, and Wolfenstein 3D *cough cough* and I like games with great gimmicks, that aren't stale. *cough cough* Super Mario Bros. 3 *cough cough*. Sorry I have a really bad cough. I also like games that are well balanced, and not ridiculously unbalanced *cough cough* Halo 4 and Goldeneye 007 splitscreen *cough cough*

I'm also hooked by great characters in the game. Some of my favorites that perfect this include Team Fortress 2, Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, and Halo 3.

As well great music is a good thing. Examples here being Homefront, Disgaea: Hour of Darkness, and Donkey Kong 64.

Edited by Twilly F. Sniper

Kinda depends on the game.

I've played more than one game that had incredibly lackluster gameplay, but was still good because the point of the game was the story.

I always have a soft spot for great music, though. <3

Gameplay is the most important part for me. However the audio and the visuals can really help make a game more fun. In my experience the best games are the ones with good gameplay combined with fitting music, good art and animations, and a good narrative with enjoyable characters. Essentially, take everything and put it all into one perfect package.

However, I'm not usually fond of it when there are a lot of cutscenes. There are a few exceptions to that, but I think it's far more interesting to integrate the story into the game itself. Conveying what you want to through the gameplay, visuals, music, and atmosphere instead.

The part where I destroy all worlds.

Seriously, it usually comes down to gameplay and a touch of good audio. My imagination is such where even if there isn't much good narrative, I can easily fill in the blanks and be happy (looking at you, League). Would I prefer good story? Yeah, good story can inspire me and expand my inner pantheon of stuff I draw inspiration from. But I play games primarily to do something different from my mundane, so gameplay is key.

(edited)

It's a toss up between narrative and gameplay. I can pass on a weak story if the gameplay is really fun(so I guess in that regards, I prefer gameplay), but if there's a story I usually look forward to it

Edited by Naked Snake

I love the part of most games is being the hero it makes me feel beter because in real life i am just a normal guy that can never be a hero

A love a game with a good soundtrack. The background music can totally change the mood, and vibe of the game. I also like a cast of decent characters, and a well written story. 

Another aspect of a game I enjoy is having fun playing it. Games are meant to be fun, so the more enjoyable the better. 

(edited)

Tie between narrative and gameplay. I'm a stickler for a real good story, but if the gameplay becomes a chore to get through or is just uninteresting, then I won't be playing it for long unless the story makes up for like in PMD. Good gameplay can make up for a lackluster story though, just look at most Mario games. 

Edited by PoisonClaw
  • Brohoof 2

Both the gameplay and the narrative, as they're the parts of a game that make me want to keep playing. I always like a good story, despite that I play a lot of Mario games, which aren't really known for their narrative (but the gameplay makes up for it).

Story. It is definitely the story that makes a game for me. If the characters make you feel something, and the ending makes you think... It is a good game regardless of all other aspects.

I find that while gameplay is the most important thing for a game, the one thing that really keeps me hooked on a game is an extreme difficulty level. I just can't get through games that have very little to no challenge, even if gameplay wise and other mechanics are perfect. That is why I could never get into Skyrim. I really enjoy games that beat you over the head with extreme difficulty until you have to figure out the best way to go through every small section, and can't make a single mistake. Games like Dark Souls and Ponyvania are right up my alley. 

Story and gameplay, but a specific aspect of both. I'm a "Self-Expressive type" of gamer as defined by the aesthetics of play. I love games that let me express an aspect of myself through gameplay, often contributing my own pieces to the narrative.

For instance, when I made my main on WoW, he already existed prior to me hitting the button to enter Azeroth. I thought of where he came from, what his experiences were, and how he would interact with others. No surprise, I took an idealized version of myself and translated it unto the character.

Another example was in Fallout 3 and New Vegas. In both cases, I went for a melee build because in real life I am a terrible shot, but I'm actually quite good (or at least better) with a blade or club. While also placing many points in speech, because I'd often at least try diplomacy before coming to blows.

It all depends, like I, for one, adore Halo b/c of various reasons, but you could say the Audio is what catches my attention.  It is just the best thing I hear to a point where i listen to the soundtrack everywhere I go, :)

It differs from game to game, really. This game I like the gameplay more, that game I like the music more, etc.

I pretty much take everything from a game-by-game basis so I can't say I like any particular thing more than another. To me video games are the ultimate form of media simply because it has the potential to be and use every other form of media to make it awesome. Gameplay, music, narrative, imaginative worlds...video games are everything.

It really depends on the game, or maybe it's better to say "if you've got enough good in any combination of the category, you'll have my attention". It's kinda hard for me to give any of those qualities a weight since I find myself games enjoying games with wildly varied levels of those qualities. 

A couple of examples: Kirby Air Ride; I loved the heck out of that game. It's all gameplay. Not a lick of story. Not super amazing on the graphics front either. And then there was Final Fantasy XII. I detested that game's gameplay. Loathed it with every fiber of my being. But I held enough interest in the story to deal with the gameplay.