Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do You Think Sometimes Its Good For Bronies To Make Fun Of Themselves?

GXPBlast

(edited)

I understand this may be controversial but sometimes like with every fandom or group that has a bad name, the media focuses on the bad.

We all know especially in the brony fandom there are some that fit the negative stereotype that us normal bronies tend to stray away from and sometimes try to avoid. But in reality being in denial can make us more of a target. I myself in fact embrace the fact knowing their are those bronies that stick out of the fandom in a negative light, but I don't try to surround myself with them. I just accept that they are there and I wont let that effect my views of the fandom as a whole or my part in it.

I hope this wont offend you guys but I do actually find the Howard Stern interviews quite funny. Not because I like Howard Stern but because I know he is going out of his way to interview the ones that make us look bad because people like him know that there are many bronies that dont fit the negative stereotypes that he does not want to shed light on because he is a close minded.

I am quite sure that out of the many bronies he interviewed, most did not meet the stereotype and he did not allow those "normal" bronies on air since that would not fit his agenda. So he keeps those bronies out of the video and only keeps the "weird" ones for the show. Although I may not agree how he is portraying us, I know for a fact he is doing it on purpose but over time many people are becoming more accepting to bronies especially with positive documentaries like a brony tale being shown to the masses.

I have to admit though the stereotypical negative bronies he interviewed did make me cringe and laugh at the same time. Also, I like parody videos made by bronies themselves that portray bronies in a negative stereotype for fun.

In fact, I am looking forward to the next Howard Stern Bronycon interview set. I am not saying i agree with what he is doing, but I have come to terms with it and I find it better to accept that fact that there are some fringe questionable bronies like in every fandom but I don't let it consume the whole fan base as the many bronies I have met and seen don't fit the negative stereotype the media likes to portray us as.

What do you guys think of this whole situation? Should bronies be more laid back and just sometimes think it is healthy to make fun of ourselves instead of denying that some negatives exist in the fandom?

Edited by GXPBlast

I see what you are trying to say, a lot of the efforts of trolls is funny to me because it is so pathetic but I didn't find any of the Howard Stern interviews funny because it was so stale and predictable. If the guy is going to troll people he needs some new material, I already knew how the whole thing was going to go from the very first interview, every interview sounded the same to me. Of course having a sense of humor about things in general is good, I loved the Bob's Burgers brony episode, they called their equivalent of bronies "Equesticles" LOL.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I agree with you 100% on needing to have a sense of humor about yourself. The only pause I have is when I keep reading about closet Bronies who are afraid to buy a shirt, toy, or plushie that represents their enjoyment of the show. To them the social stigma can be limiting and petrifying. This isn't the 90's when I would be labeled a dork for reading Spawn or being excited at the Star Trek TNG finale. This negative press has helped to really push people into isolation. Not a good mental mindset to feel forced to have.

It's not Sterns fault ... this is a bigger issue of course ... just some thoughts

Edited by Jeric
  • Brohoof 2

If you cannot occasionally laugh at yourself for belonging to a group of people that are massive fans of cartoon ponies, then you are taking yourself and life far to seriously. Humor allows one to not only lower the emotional impact of an event, but also deal with the event in what is often an more healthy fashion. Sure, not everything should be a joke, but not being able to laugh with them only gives them power over you.

Besides just like ghosts, you should always giggle at the trollies.

• Brohoof 4

Well, I haven't seen any of Howard Stern's stuff, but I love making fun of myself.

In fact, one of the things I love most about the brony community is the fact we are able to make fun of ourselves. :D

Take this song by MandoPony for example. The entire thing is him making fun of himself. It's hilarious!

So, yeah, I have no problem with making fun of myself, and that goes over into my bronydom. It's just nice to relax and not worry about being embarrassed. :squee:

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I think it's important for everybody to be able to make fun of themselves. If I couldn't make fun of myself, I'd have gone insane long ago. That said, there's a difference between a good hearted joke at ones expense and being made fun of. It depends on the context. There are plenty of things that can be poked fun at within the fandom. My friends tease me all the time about MLP, but because I know them I know that they have no actual malicious intent behind their words. I feel comfortable laughing at the fandom with them without feeling like I am being unfairly mocked. Howard Stern isn't sharing a joke with us. He's going around to other people and saying, "hey! look at these losers!" Specifically So that people can point, laugh, boost his ratings, and have a skewed idea of what the fandom is actually about. I don't think that's cool.

I agree with you 100% on needing to have a sense of humor about yourself. The only pause I have is when I keep reading about closet Bronies who are afraid to buy a shirt, toy, or plushie that represents their enjoyment of the show. To them the social stigma can be limiting and petrifying. This isn't the 90's when I would be labeled a dork for reading Spawn or being excited at the Star Trek TNG finale. This negative press has helped to really push people into isolation. Not a good mental mindset to feel forced to have.

It's not Sterns fault ... this is a bigger issue of course ... just some thoughts

I think this is a really important point too. A lot of these things like the Howard Stern interviews perpetuate the idea that you should be ashamed of being a brony. As somebody who isolated himself for a long time because due to fears of social acceptance, I take this pretty seriously.

Lighthearted jabs are well and good, but there is a line at which it just becomes bullying

Edited by Banul
  • Brohoof 3

If you can't laugh at yourself, well someone else will do it for you.

Sometimes you just have to crack a joke over the silly things you like and know everything is all good. I make jokes about bronies and my little pony sometimes, because it's good to have a laugh and all in good fun.

I actively search out for things making fun of Bronies all the time to have a laugh.

I think it's good to be light-hearted about what you love. Don't take any of it seriously, and it won't ever get to you.

I don't watch Howard Stern though so I've never seen his Brony stuff. I don't think I will either. Just not a fan of the guy, even before I became a Brony.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I feel like Bronies don't know how to handle making fun of the show/themselves. Cupcakes and Smile HD were made as morbid humor to counter the shows up beat colorful happiness. How do Bronies react to things like Cupcakes though? With terrible disgust and almost a holy war like outcry in disgust. Also I've been called a faker/hater in disguise before by "true" Bronies for making fun of the fanbase... the entire fanbase needs to lower their riot shields and realize that a joke isn't a hostile offense.

Edited by Ami Mizuno

(edited)

I think it's important for everybody to be able to make fun of themselves. If I couldn't make fun of myself, I'd have gone insane long ago. That said, there's a difference between a good hearted joke at ones expense and being made fun of. It depends on the context. There are plenty of things that can be poked fun at within the fandom. My friends tease me all the time about MLP, but because I know them I know that they have no actual malicious intent behind their words. I feel comfortable laughing at the fandom with them without feeling like I am being unfairly mocked. Howard Stern isn't sharing a joke with us. He's going around to other people and saying, "hey! look at these losers!" Specifically So that people can point, laugh, boost his ratings, and have a skewed idea of what the fandom is actually about. I don't think that's cool.

I think this is a really important point too. A lot of these things like the Howard Stern interviews perpetuate the idea that you should be ashamed of being a brony. As somebody who isolated himself for a long time because due to fears of social acceptance, I take this pretty seriously.

Lighthearted jabs are well and good, but there is a line at which it just becomes bullying

Well... I am closet-brony (though I'd prefer it be called "internet-only-brony"), and only 1 person I know IRL knows that I am a brony.  He gives me crap about it jokingly sometimes on skype, but I know it's all in good fun, and he doesn't mean any harm by it.  

I can laugh and make fun of myself, and I can laugh when my friend jokes about it with me.

But... I do fall under the "isolation due to fear of social acceptance" category, since I'm a closet-brony.  It's not necessarily that I am ashamed to be a brony, but I would be quite embarrased to have to put up with any bullying that I could possibly get if I weren't a closet brony.  I think that alot of it has to do with the fact that I'm introverted, and that I'm sensitive.  Maybe if I were extroverted I wouldn't care, and wouldn't hide it like I do now... 

With all that being said, I'm totally cool with laughing and joking about it within the fandom (ergo, with other bronies here on the forums).  

I really don't know if I'll ever be outward about MLP in real life.  I know I shouldn't be that way, but I just can't help it.  Maybe if I ever find out that there are some other bronies in my college, I'll tell them and hang with them, but that would likely be the full extent of it.  If I can summon the courage one day, I might be outward about it.  "One step at a time" can be harder than it sounds when your an introverted, sensitive guy.  

I feel like Bronies don't know how to handle making fun of the show/themselves. Cupcakes and Smile HD were made as morbid humor to counter the shows up beat colorful happiness. How do Bronies react to things like Cupcakes though? With terrible disgust and almost a holy war like outcry in disgust. Also I've been called a faker/hater in disguise before by true Bronies for making fun of the fanbase... the entire fanbase needs to lover their riot shields and realize that a joke isn't a hostile offense.

While I respect those who enjoy it, I couldn't take Cupcakes (or the other one)... truth be told, I had to stop the video because I was crying (referring to Cupcakes here).  I didn't, and won't, finish it.  

Edited by Miles
  • Brohoof 2

When you can't laugh at yourself, you become a very dangerous person. When a fandom can't laugh at itself... oh boy. As it is, bronies have done some notably dumb stuff in this fandom(kudos to whoever wrote Sweet Apple Massacre), and it's much better to just laugh these things off than become needlessly pissed at no one in particular. Same for anti-bronies; most of them are downright laughable at times.

• Brohoof 2

I think it is important for anybody to make fun of themselves from time to time. Keeps you from taking life too seriously and becoming an insufferable sack of stress.

Personally, I take a lot of the ribbing in stride. As it is, at the risk of dating myself, this is not the first time I have been involved in a massive fandom that became a cultural phenomenon unto itself and was frequently the target of jokes and satire (my Starfleet uniform still hangs in my closet) so I can take it all with a grain of salt when I get looked at funny for liking a show aimed at my daughter more than at me.

I am quite sure that out of the many bronies he interviewed, most did not meet the stereotype and he did not allow those "normal" bronies on air since that would not fit his agenda. So he keeps those bronies out of the video and only keeps the "weird" ones for the show. Although I may not agree how he is portraying us, I know for a fact he is doing it on purpose but over time many people are becoming more accepting to bronies especially with positive documentaries like a brony tale being shown to the masses.

I don't know if he paid random people at Bronycon or not, but would you talk into a microphone and tell someone (especially Howard Stern's show) that you masturbate to pastel colored horses? It is a tad bit suspicious.

I know bronies aren't perfect, but we are known to be intelligent people who rarely fall victim to a hater's scheme, Sam Hyde is a perfect example of this.

I think it is very important.

It keeps us humble, We don't want a pony getting a big head. Look at The great and powerful trixie for example.

We just have to draw the line at offensive and a joke. The college humour video "My little Brony" was supposed to be a joke, and just came off offensive. We have got to stand up for ourselves but remain grounded in our awesomeness.

Yes. In general I think it's a good thing for a fan themself to poke fun at the fandom, even as a way of calling out a fandom's bullshit

Dear Princess Celestia,

Today I learned that although not everything is a laughing matter, we should always have a sense of humor about ourselves.  Always remember to lighten up.  Taking life too seriously can even alienate you from your friends sometimes.  You should always be proud of who you are, but being able to laugh at yourself occasionally is one of the most useful skills you can have.

Your faithful student,

--

~Justin_Case001

It's pretty much a requirement in life to laugh at yourself in some form or fashion. If you take life or even the fandom too seriously, then you only end up damaging yourself.