Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Thoughts on Flash Sentry Haters

Mantis01

Each of your opinions died from your strawmen (and to Riolu, your use of mock-netspeak doesn't help you one bit; in fact, it only proves their point). Flash is despised because he's flatter than your usual brown cardboard, a stereotype, and pointless from a storytelling perspective. If Flash Sentry was an actual character rather than a generalized fantasy of a high-school version of Prince Charming, then he wouldn't be disliked.

It doesn't prove their point one bit.

Flash Sentry haters hate him because appearantly he is a stereotypical love interest?

Would you hate Derpy because "she is a stereotypical dumb blonde"? Would you hate Celestia because "she gives Twilight a lot of tasks that usually are Season premiers or finales"?

• Brohoof 2

It goes more than just that. It's that coupled with the same kind of hate with Celestia. Even though there are tons of background ponies with hardly any character or anything people like them... so characterization is not the problem it's the type of character they represent that makes bronies hate them. 

Edited by cider float

Each of your opinions died from your strawmen (and to Riolu, your use of mock-netspeak doesn't help you one bit; in fact, it only proves their point). Flash is despised because he's flatter than your usual brown cardboard, a stereotype, and pointless from a storytelling perspective. If Flash Sentry was an actual character rather than a generalized fantasy of a high-school version of Prince Charming, then he wouldn't be disliked.

Why is their romance disliked? There's no chemistry. She likes him simply because he's gorgeous, and they never built it genuinely. They could've given him goals to achieve and have them completely relevant to the plots, but he's already successful.

You know who else is very bland and generic? Silver Shill, the pony who gave AJ her key for the RAINBOW POWAH, but I don't see anyone hating him  :dash: . Well, I know why, because he didn't stole any waifus  -_-. And that's one of the reasons I see the hating of Flashy very bland and petty itself 

Edited by Steve Piranha
  • Brohoof 1

It doesn't prove their point one bit.

Wrong. When you use mock-netspeak, you say you don't have an argument and choose shortcuts.

Flash Sentry haters hate him because appearantly he is a stereotypical love interest?
Yes. Not only is he a stereotypical love interest. There's no point in him being there other than that. He's only one plot point: helping Twilight when she was interrogated, and he could've been replaced by any of the ReMane Five. Not only is he stereotypical. He's a plot device in the form of filler.

Would you hate Derpy because "she is a stereotypical dumb blonde"?
That's if she was a ditz, stupid, or both. Derpy is neither. She's clumsy, aloof, innocent, childlike; and often doing something in the background as an Easter Egg.

Would you hate Celestia because "she gives Twilight a lot of tasks that usually are Season premiers or finales"?

You're stretching your point. Celestia wouldn't be hated for this. But if she's hated for willingly risking Twilight's, her friends, and The Crystal Empire's citizens' lives in order to see if TS is capable to lead, I don't see the problem.

You know who else is very bland and generic? Silver Shill, the pony who gave AJ her key for the RAINBOW POWAH, but I don't see anyone hating him
Major differences between them.
  1. Shill is relevant to the plot. You can't cut him entirely and either replace him with an existing character or not at all. Unlike Flash, he's important to the plot.
  2. Flash is blander, flatter than cardboard, and is an accurate representation of several high-school stereotypes in fiction. On top of that, he hasn't shown any genuine flaws. Currently, he's the least-dimensional character of the show (discounting Sunset from EQG1). Silver Shill is boring, but not a stereotype.

Well, I know why, because he didn't stole any waifus

You're playing into that ridiculous strawman. He's not disliked for "stealing Twilight away." He's disliked for being generic to the point of annoying, unimportant, stereotypical, a Gary Stu, and an identity of nothing except being Twilight's love interest.

• Brohoof 1

I don't like Flash due to his blandness...the only purpose he serves is to be a romantic interest to Twilight, when in all actuality she doesn't need one. I really don't like those uncomfortable purposely awkward scenes between Twilight and Flash...

But in Rainbow Rocks, I dis like when Flash and Twilight were talking, and Trixie just pops up to ruin in for it for them. xD

Flash Sentry was the first person to be kind to Twilight after her arrival at Canterlot High.

Edited by Sunny Fox

Ask Twilight "What do you know of flash" alls she'll be able to say is that he's nice, and he plays a guitar. thats all she knows about him, same for all of us. Alls he knows on her, is that shes smart, and is a horse. It's just a stupid high school crush that really isn't needed. and goes against what Friendship is magic was about. Putting stereotypes in the movie was shitting on what Lauren faust wanted with the show. pretty sure she isn't a fan of the movie.hell, i wouldn't be surprised if she hates the show now. the shit that she envisioned was all gone, Twilight was going to celestia's successor as a unicorn. Dash become a wonderbolt, and all that. And in none of that, did she ever probably say to herself "let me make a shining armor ripoff, cept more shit, and make it fall in love with twilight."

Thats another thing. Put Flash and Shining in a room together. They're the same, overly nice to Twilight. Might be why twilight finds attraction to Flash, because he's like her best friend, and big brother.

Twilight is my second favourite character so I don't quite line up with people who consider Twilight their waifus. Being aware of hatred towards Flash, I recently watched Equestria Girls movies expecting to dislike him as well... but I don't. My main issue is that relation between Flash and Twilight seem very contrived to me; bump into one another constantly then infatuation. If they wanted Twilight to have more of a romantic interest towards another, they should have approached it differently. It seems to me that Flash's purpose is mostly to serve as Twilight's love interest rather than being his own character; all I remember about him is that he's a jock and helped Twilight once. I don't feel I really have any reason to hate, but I also don't have much reason to like him either.

I am left puzzled by this: Why did Twilight, a pony, develop love interest towards a human?

While posting in this thread, is EqG considered canon or based on canon but separate universe (like MLPFIM comics)?

Edited by Luna the Great
  • Brohoof 1

Twilight is my second favourite character so I don't quite line up with people who consider Twilight their waifus. Being aware of hatred towards Flash, I recently watched Equestria Girls movies expecting to dislike him as well... but I don't. My main issue is that relation between Flash and Twilight seem very contrived to me; bump into one another constantly then infatuation. If they wanted Twilight to have more of a romantic interest towards another, they should have approached it differently. It seems to me that Flash's purpose is mostly to serve as Twilight's love interest rather than being his own character; all I remember about him is that he's a jock and helped Twilight once. I am left puzzled by this: Why did Twilight, a pony, develop love interest towards a human?

For the love of Celestia, Flash is not a jock! 

Wiki "jock":

In Canada and the United States, a jock is a stereotype of an athlete.[1][2] It is generally attributed mostly to high school and college athletics participants who form a distinct youth subculture. As a blanket term,jock can be considered synonymous with athlete.[3]

Similar words that may mean the same as jock include meathead, musclebrain, and musclehead.[4] These terms are based on the stereotype that a jock is muscular, but not very smart, and cannot carry a conversation on any topic other than one relating to sports, exercise, or sex

Flash is a rocker. You could argue that's just another stereotype, fine, but don't call him a jock.

As to why Twilight formed an attachment to him, you do realize he was the first person to not only speak to her, but to offer her a hand up off the floor? She reacted to his kindness before anything else. Oh, and human body = human hormones. Flash is smexy. Whose to say Twilight's human hormones didn't have a reaction to him (after the initial meeting since she doesn't seem to react the same way the first few times they meet.)

• Brohoof 1

Wiki "jock":

Flash is a rocker. You could argue that's just another stereotype, fine, but don't call him a jock.

As to why Twilight formed an attachment to him, you do realize he was the first person to not only speak to her, but to offer her a hand up off the floor? She reacted to his kindness before anything else. Oh, and human body = human hormones. Flash is smexy. Whose to say Twilight's human hormones didn't have a reaction to him (after the initial meeting since she doesn't seem to react the same way the first few times they meet.)

THANK YOU!! :love:

And when it comes to jocks, they are usually nowhere near as nice as Flash... :sunny::( I know that I would've loved it if someone as popular yet nice as Flash welcomed me to school :kindness: While a jock probably would've just bumped into you and cursed under their breath or something, Flash would've been polite about it. As there is many proof of that :P

• Brohoof 2

Wiki "jock":

That's right; I've already forgotten about the group he was associated with.

While Flash being the first to help Twilight may be an explanation for her interest in him, I find it hard to imagine for me to develop a love interest towards someone just because they helped me a few times. There's the question as to why Twilight is appealing to Flash though it could be hormones. Though their relation may be valid, I still think that they could have approached it better.

• Brohoof 1

You all also gotta remember. it's a cartoon character. people hate him because they can, grow up an deal with it. not trying to be a dick, but who really gives a damn? It's not like he's even real, he's a fake cartoon character that exists in a fictional universe. I hate him, because it's my opinion. you can like him, dislike him. what ever. but atleast have the balls to respect eachother and not cry about it, jesus christ.

• Brohoof 1

That's right; I've already forgotten about the group he was associated with.

While Flash being the first to help Twilight may be an explanation for her interest in him, I find it hard to imagine for me to develop a love interest towards someone just because they helped me a few times. There's the question as to why Twilight is appealing to Flash though it could be hormones. Though their relation may be valid, I still think that they could have approached it better.

That's cool.   Sorry, I didn't mean to get carried away.  :lie: It's just that it really gets my goat when anyone refers to Flash as a jock (or calls him "Brad". A name, I might add, he was stuck with before the movie even came out, based on nothing but the preliminary designs, which in some people's opinion, prejudged him into a category... No matter.)

Like I said, it was probably a combination of Flash being the first one who offered Twilight kindness in a strange world, and his good looks combined with human (heck, teenage, which is even more so) hormones. As for why Flash would like Twilight, she's pretty hot. As for the writers "approaching it better", that's not something I'd deny... but then, I could say that about so many actual show episodes. And indeed have done.

Anyway, no hard feelings, I hope we can continue to explore our ideas about Flash and Twilight.  :fluttershy:

That's cool.   Sorry, I didn't mean to get carried away.  :lie: It's just that it really gets my goat when anyone refers to Flash as a jock (or calls him "Brad". A name, I might add, he was stuck with before the movie even came out, based on nothing but the preliminary designs, which in some people's opinion, prejudged him into a category... No matter.)

Like I said, it was probably a combination of Flash being the first one who offered Twilight kindness in a strange world, and his good looks combined with human (heck, teenage, which is even more so) hormones. As for why Flash would like Twilight, she's pretty hot. As for the writers "approaching it better", that's not something I'd deny... but then, I could say that about so many actual show episodes. And indeed have done.

Anyway, no hard feelings, I hope we can continue to explore our ideas about Flash and Twilight.  :fluttershy:

For me, they have to give me a better reason to like Flash and/or his relation with Twilight. If they can better elaborate it in a future movie, then that's good; have him interact more than the... human5(?) and/or more meaningful interactions with Twilight or any other way that would unlock the potential of Flash as a character. As you have read in my post referring to Flash as a jock, he's not a particularly memorable character to me except as a love interest for Twilight.

I will also say, I'm not understanding logic behind hating bland characters as some others have said in this thread referring to Flash. Is that really a reason to hate him or is "hate" simply an exaggeration for how they feel? I would think that bland characters would result in more or less neutral attitudes.

Edited by Luna the Great
  • Brohoof 1

For me, they have to give me a better reason to like Flash and/or his relation with Twilight. If they can better elaborate it in a future movie, then that's good; have him interact more than the... human5(?) and/or more meaningful interactions with Twilight or any other way that would unlock the potential of Flash as a character. As you have read in my post referring to Flash as a jock, he's not a particularly memorable character to me except as a love interest for Twilight.

I will also say, I'm not understanding logic behind hating bland characters as some others have said in this thread referring to Flash. Is that really a reason to hate him or is "hate" simply an exaggeration for how they feel? I would think that bland characters would result in more or less neutral attitudes.

Fair enough. I'd also like more development of Flash in future. Unfortunately, the backlash from the character that the writers already experienced will probably lead to them making him less and less prevalent... a trend which Rainbow Rocks and Friendship Games sadly did nothing to reverse.

As for hating Flash, well... as soon as the writers try to actually give him flaws, some of his detractors will just latch onto those as an excuse to hate him. People tend to have a knee-jerk emotional reaction and then spend their time after trying to rationalizing it. I'm not so different I suppose, just on the other end of the full spectrum.  :ooh: I think the more honest ones make a distinction between hating Flash and hating the role that he is forced into, that of being Twilight's love interest. If one has ever accused him of "waifu stealing" unironically, they're the former, not the latter.

Fair enough. I'd also like more development of Flash in future. Unfortunately, the backlash from the character that the writers already experienced will probably lead to them making him less and less prevalent... a trend which Rainbow Rocks and Friendship Games sadly did nothing to reverse.

As for hating Flash, well... as soon as the writers try to actually give him flaws, some of his detractors will just latch onto those as an excuse to hate him. People tend to have a knee-jerk emotional reaction and then spend their time after trying to rationalizing it. I'm not so different I suppose, just on the other end of the full spectrum.  :ooh: I think the more honest ones make a distinction between hating Flash and hating the role that he is forced into, that of being Twilight's love interest. If one has ever accused him of "waifu stealing" unironically, they're the former, not the latter.

I think it's very possible that my opinion on Flash would be different if, hypothetically, Luna who I would consider best pony, replaced Twilight's role because there my bias would settle in. But to try to remain unbiased, it should be made aware that the character isn't actually doing anything intentionally malicious and hating them for that is a form of jealousy. That being said though, I have general disapproval towards OCxCanon shipping which may be a slight different topic than what is being discussed here.

I like Flash Sentry, but sorry, I didn't like his relation with Twilight in the movie.

He looks like a good character, and as long as he stays away from Twilight in the season 5 (or if they just becomes friends, which is unlikely), I wouldn't mind.

I just dislike the idea of one of the mane 6 falling in love with a stallion. -_-

Rarity did fall in love with stallions

I'm sort of a FS hater, though I think hate may be a strong word.

The way he was written into EQG sucks. It feels like he was tacked onto the story needlessly in the first two movies. (I haven't seen Friendship Games, so I can't comment on that.)

I'm sort of a FS hater, though I think hate may be a strong word.

The way he was written into EQG sucks. It feels like he was tacked onto the story needlessly in the first two movies. (I haven't seen Friendship Games, so I can't comment on that.)

I'll give yah a hint. In eqg3 he was literally in there for the reason of human twilight being there. Thats it, he's there, so he can be like "why you nu like me nu moar *~*"

• Brohoof 1