Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Thoughts on Flash Sentry Haters

Mantis01

A lot of people will say that it's because he has 'no personality', and is a 'token love character'. 

But the truth is, a good portion of the fandom hates him (though not the whole fandom), simply because they themselves are in love with Twilight.  That's not to say they literally have a crush on her.  They just love her personality and character so much, that the thought of her ending up with any male character is so devastating that they immediately reject any male who either lays eyes on her, or any male that she lays eyes on. 

Anime fans actually call this the Ami Mizuno Effect, because Sailor Moon was one of the first cartoons this happened with.

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 4

Flash Sentry is hated because he is a bland generic person in the Euestria Girls universe but its not his fault because.. gender politics ither than that he has no conflicts, he is a generic bad boy and a goody two shoes. so yeah that's all i  say

A lot of people will say that it's because he has 'no personality', and is a 'token love character'. 

But the truth is, a good portion of the fandom hates him (though not the whole fandom), simply because they themselves are in love with Twilight.  That's not to say they literally have a crush on her.  They just love her personality and character so much, that the thought of her ending up with any male character is so devastating that they immediately reject any male who either lays eyes on her, or any male that she lays eyes on. 

Anime fans actually call this the Ami Mizuno Effect, because Sailor Moon was one of the first cartoons this happened with.

In other words, he stole everyone's waifu. Just look at Silver Shill, has as much personality as Flash, but he's nowhere nearly as hated because he didn't stole any waifus. Yeah yeah, I get it, the romance subplot was badly done, but leave the poor guy in peace and let him keep his waifu  >_>

But the truth is, a good portion of the fandom hates him (though not the whole fandom), simply because they themselves are in love with Twilight. That's not to say they literally have a crush on her. They just love her personality and character so much, that the thought of her ending up with any male character is so devastating that they immediately reject any male who either lays eyes on her, or any male that she lays eyes on.

Meh, I don't know. What if she didn't have a romance thing with the flash in the EG world but on the pony ? I'm pretty sure most of the people that hate him right now would see things differently, yet she would still be in romance with somepony else.

I don't really like Flash either honestly, he just feels.. Lame. But not only Flash in fact, most of the humans in EG are just lame, even the mane 6 feel meh compared to their pony form. And it's not because there are much more episodes of them being ponies, even with only the first four episodes of MLP, characters are..I don't know, just much better. Not just humans in school doing nothing and having close to no personality.

Flash is just the worst for some reason, maybe because we see him involved in the story more than any other "basic" human and because he doesn't serve any purpose other than being in love with people and looking attractive considering nowadays' norms.

Honestly, did he do anything except that ?

• Brohoof 2

Yeah, it isn't like this fandom obsesses over background characters without any form of personality. 

That's true.

But a background pony does not play any role in the show, either. People usually get "obsessed" about their design and the fan community around them.

Edited by Nicholas

As far as I'm aware, some MLP/Twilight fans themselves have their own attachment (possibly romantic, platonic, familial etc.) to Twilight. For these particular Twilight fans, Flash perhaps doesn't meet the expectations of a worthy love interest for Twilight. Perhaps this is partially on account of jealousy or owing to Flash's generic character/lack of characterisation. Maybe the latter sentiment is also shared by other fans outside of the aforesaid category. The very concept of a love interest in MLP might be another reason why some fans dislike Flash, as they might feel such an element is unnecessary in FiM. Plot-wise, there is little development in the Flashlight relationship which makes it harder for fans to connect to it or support it. As Flash's primary purpose in the plot appears to be the 'love interest', the seemingly rushed and insubstantial nature of his role within the plot might also contribute to his downfall for some.

Having said all that, I'm actually indifferent to Flash but these are some of the reasons  why I think that some might hate him.

Yeah, it isn't like this fandom obsesses over background characters without any form of personality. 

Yeah but (I assume) they're popular because people get to create the personalities for those characters whereas Flash has a defined personality so people can't get quite as obsessed. 

• Brohoof 1

Yeah but (I assume) they're popular because people get to create the personalities for those characters whereas Flash has a defined personality so people can't get quite as obsessed. 

So what you're saying is that Flash have a personality but lacks one at the same time? 

So what you're saying is that Flash have a personality but lacks one at the same time? 

As in he has a very bland personality consisting of being that super attractive college boy who all the girls obsess over and being super casual (in a bad way) and having a guitar, it's clear he's supposed to be the stereotype of every college girls dream guy, hence why people can't get attached to him, whereas with the background ponies you create them. 

Let me start by clarifying that I have no romantic inclination's to Twilight. So my problems with Flash are not rooted in jealousy.

Allow me to compare Flash to a character the fandom loves: Derpy.

See, Flash and Derpy both demonstrate a principal in character personality. Throughout the show, ever since the creators caught wind of Derpy's popularity, they've littered her appearing across the seasons. Far be it to be just a "where's Waldo" game, every time Derpy appears she's doing something. She pops out in weird and unexpected places, she drops a piano on Twilight, she unplugs the bobbing for apples, she waves before the Heart's Warming Eve play. Of course, her speaking debut shook the foundations of the fandom (and some houses I'm sure.) Even now, though she's returned to not speaking, she volunteers to replace Dash in the Equestria Games qualifying tournament and acts nonchalant when Twilight throws a "no offense" her way.

In contrast, Flash is a nice guy, drives a camaro, and he plays guitar. He does exactly one thing in the story and that's bail Twilight out. Something that her friends could have easily done and would have made sense with the movie's message.

See the difference? Derpy displays an enormous amount of visual personality without the focus even being on her and almost entirely without talking. Great characters can almost never speak but you still know who they are. Long Shot (Avatar), Soundwave, Snake Eyes, Samurai Jack, etc. 

Flash is not a character, he's a walking plot device. He exists to give Twilight a love interest, something she didn't need. Let's focus on that aspect shall we? I wouldn't mind (too much) if Twilight had a love interest if it made sense. As it stands though, Twilight and Flash had nothing to go on in terms of a relationship. What do they have in common? What do they talk about? Again, if Flash actually had some character, maybe he's a straight A math whiz or is really good at chemistry and Twilight sat in on a class with him. One scene, that's all it would take. Just something to establish that Flash and Twilight actually have some common ground to start from.

But no, because the rockin' spiky haired, cool kid can't be good at "nerdy" subjects because whether by Sunset Shimmer's doing or not, Canterlot High is separated into a social caste system that hasn't left the eighties.

I can't speak for everypony, but my personal problem with Flash is that he's a box to tick, not a character meant to exist outside of the scenes that show him.

Good characters should be interesting even when they're off screen. They should have a presence and influence in the lives of the other characters regardless if the story requires it.

• Brohoof 6

@@Yamet,

But the truth is, a good portion of the fandom hates him (though not the whole fandom), simply because they themselves are in love with Twilight. That's not to say they literally have a crush on her. They just love her personality and character so much, that the thought of her ending up with any male character is so devastating that they immediately reject any male who either lays eyes on her, or any male that she lays eyes on.

In other words, he stole everyone's waifu.

The fact that you have to pull the "Flash stole my waifu" strawman shows the complete lack of sincerity in your opinions. Flash Sentry is despised because he has absolutely no personality whatsoever. Generic cardboard has more personality than him. On top of that, he's a Gary Stu, specifically a Romantic Stu, and a stereotype. His whole identity is to be Twilight's love interest.

Also, it's extremely disrespectful to both Twilight and the show for how Twilight attracted to him. Each time they meet, they're always bumping into one another. Once is fine, but it happens so often, the cliché turns from funny to obnoxious quickly. To make it worse, Twilight and Flash have no chemistry, and Twilight only likes him because he looks hot. That's it. If you want to give a main character a love interest, at least spend some time giving him an actual personality, one that subdues the sexist stereotypes.

But a background pony does not play any role in the show, either. People usually get "obsessed" about their design and the fan community around them.

There's a completely big difference between Flash and the background ponies. @@Steel Accord just used Derpy and Flash to contrast them, but I'll get to the more general concept, which Silver Quill explained just as well.

BG ponies are there for one reason and one reason only: to fill in the background. Often, they have little impact in the story. However, what attracts the fandom is how they're often doing something in the background. That's one way to trigger headcanon: the minute they do something, it intrigues them. Conversely, Flash Sentry is a secondary character; he's supposed to be just as important as the HuMane Five. Instead, he's a stereotype and filler. Flash isn't a character. He's a caricature. If you take him out of both films entirely, nothing would change.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 6

Besides Flash Sentry having no personality, most of this romance plays on Twilight's weakness while leaving other things about her in Equestria. Flash Sentry has been a bit aggressive in trying to get with her. Twilight Sparkle only knows Flash Sentry from what others have said and she never had an actual conversation with him. It's really rushed to where the second movie has Flash Sentry hugging and trying to kiss her at the end.

one, because he has no personality or back story, something i'm certain they're gonna try to solve in season five :P

and two, because people don't like the fact twilight has a potential love interest for later on, because they want her to stay single XD, but probably mainly because they would prefer her to be with someone who has a backstory n shit.

to contrast them

B..but.  :( 

I think you quite misunderstood me. What I meant is : as the background ponies do not play a role such as love interest in the show. People don't have any reason to hate them for their personality. Besides, the fan community loves them because their design ( with design I include the "visual personality" shown in the background ) and the fan materials created around them.

Edited by Nicholas

Because his personality is bland and more flat than a piece of paper, plus he was only really shoehorned to give Twilight Sparkle a generic love interest in my eyes.

Edited by Skarloey

@@Cannon and rarity

I merged your thread on Flash Sentry haters with a thread that was already covering the same subject. In the future please remember to search for previous topics so we can avoid clutter.

Thanks. :)

I'll give the Flash Bashers half a point for pointing out that Flash has little to no personality. However, I will NOT stand for him being called a Waifu Stealer because he's only ever shown interest in Twilight and not everyone's "Waifu". They never even kissed! Heck, even I sometimes see Twilight as my Waifu and still think they could have potential if Flash is played right.

What's important to me about Flash is that he stays a nice guy/pony to our friends. Because in real life, we all encounter a lot of people we never get to personally know as well as our closest friends. Even so, these people are still trying to lead a good, fruitful life. To me, Flash is like that: an unknown, but well-meaning person trying to live a life.

• Brohoof 1

I don't like him because he's a unneeded love interest in a movie that's not even canon. I also don't like him because the love interest doesn't even make much sense. If you were to go into a world of a different dominant species you weren't familiar with. What are the chances you fall in love with a member of said species. His love interest in twilight is also brought up in the most cliché fashion: bumping into each other. I mean DHX could have done better then THAT. I could stand the love interest with twilight a little more if they didn't bump into each every single time they interacted. Flash sentry also is basically Hasbro's version of a Mary/Garry sue. Flash is a jock, confident, charming, understanding, smart and athletic, while also being, bubbly, nervous around girls he likes and naïve. Doesn't that sound like a discount Dount steel? But the main problem is DHX/Hasbro has never fixed this problem and keep flash as a bland character despite having a chance to fix him in EG2 like they did with sunset shimmer. Overall he just has WAY to many problems to be considered a good love interest for twilight and to be a good character. Also it's not about liking twilight because if you know me then you would know I'm rainbow dashes number fan and also shes my wafiu and twi is.......my least favorite of the mane 6 (I still like her though). I'm not a hater but I just don't like him.

Edited by Flamestreak1990

Well, I am not sure why other's dislike the concept,, but I can tell you why I am not super excited about it myself.  Keep in mind, I do not profess that I think that my opinion is better than any other opinion, and respect everyone's opinions of the show, because if I can have my opinions, they can have theirs.  I personally don't have any hate directed specifically at flash.  What I personally do not like, is the idea of romance becoming a main theme of the show.  I like romance when it is kept as just a minor subplot to the actual conflict.  I think that romance can be a great "spice" to make a good story, but I would personally prefer that romance not become a major part of the plot of the series.  I really like subplots of romance when they are done correctly.  So far, the writers have done well, in my opinion, in keeping flash in the "minor subplot" area of the story.  Sorry if none of this makes sense.  It's late. :derp:

• Brohoof 2

The Flash Sentry/Twilight Sparkle romance is this.

1. They bump into each other a few times.

2. Flash helps out Twilight once in place of any of the HuMane 5.

3. He goes to the dance with her and have one dance.

4. In the second movie it has him obsessed over Twilight.

5. He's a jealous jerk to her under the influence of Siren magic to make her cry.

6. By the end, he just hugs and tries to kiss her.

Edited by Singe