Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Thoughts on Flash Sentry Haters

Mantis01

(edited)

Yet every brony loves Shining Armor....It's just because people can't accept a cannon pairing because they want the character to themselves...

Shining Armor isn't that loved, either. But he's nowhere near as flat as Flash Sentry, and he's shown to be dedicated, have challenges, and actually have flaws. His character legitimately earned some respect.

Flash Sentry, on the other hand, is Walking Cardboard. If the show wants to incorporate a canonical interest with a main character, put in some effort to make it work. It doesn't.

BTW, you killed your own opinion by throwing the "FS stole my waifu" strawman.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

(edited)

Flash Sentry, on the other hand, is Walking Cardboard. If the show wants to incorporate a canonical interest with a main character, put in some effort to make it work. It doesn't.

My problem with that example is, every character outside of the mane 6 (and a few reoccurring characters) is cardboard in one way or another. Like tell me about canon Lyra, Bon Bon, Soarin', Octavia... They are beloved cardboard cut outs, almost literally because background ponies are created by cutting and pasting different colored parts.

Edited by Panne
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't hate Flash. I do find his personality to be boring and to be another character to feed high school drama silliness. He and Sunset belong together with that stuff, lol. But he does not annoy me nearly as much as how much out of character they made Twilight act in those movies. They took every thing that I love and admire about her and flushed it down the toilet.

Edited by whitetiger187
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

My problem with that example is, every character outside of the mane 6 (and a few reoccurring characters) is cardboard in one way or another. Like tell me about canon Lyra, Bon Bon, Soarin', Octavia... They are beloved cardboard cut outs, almost literally because background ponies are created by cutting and pasting different colored parts.

I already pointed this out earlier. Background characters exist for one simple reason: to fill in the background. Often, they have nothing to do with the plot. But they're typically doing something in the background, which triggers the audience's minds.

(Soarin' isn't a background pony. He's more of a tertiary pony now.)

Flash is a secondary character. He's supposed to be just as important as the HuMane Five, especially in the first one. Instead, what do we have? One-dimensional filler. Cutting him out won't change anything in either film.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

I don't hate Flash. I do find his personality to be boring and to be another character to feed high school drama silliness. He and Sunset belong together with that stuff, lol. But he does not annoy me nearly as much as how much out of character they made Twilight act in those movies. They took every thing that I love and admire about her and flushed it down the toilet.

That's another issue. The Twilight Sparkle that falls for Flash Sentry is a more weaker/vulnerable Twilight Sparkle who was stripped of a lot of her FIM character.

• Brohoof 2

Or maybe it's because he was created specifically to pander to the adolescent female demographic and has the characterization of a tuna sandwich.  

^ THIS. 

It isn't about Twilight, its about how Flash has no personality or purpose and he reminds me of a disney channel character. Gag me. 

• Brohoof 1

what do you mean? can you explain?

thats it? thats the reason what some think because hes a boring person/pony?

He doesn't have THAT much of screen time. In my opinion he's just a filler to add that stereotype of the new girl in school that falls in love with the "cool kid"

I don't seem to find anything about him to hate because he's less relevant than boulder.

Yet every brony loves Shining Armor....It's just because people can't accept a cannon pairing because they want the character to themselves...

I'm not like that. I don't date ponies in my mind. I prefer humans. Anyway, I like Shining Armor too. I just think he seems cool in the way he presents himself. Flash was just a complete bore.

Back to Flash Sentry, I really want to know about his character, his strength and weakness.

That is the entire problem I have with him. He has the personality of a cardboard cutout. If he was developed and used in a better way other than forced love interest, I really wouldn't mind it as much even though I don't like the pairing myself (Not due to an OC. SunLight forever!)

• Brohoof 1

flash sentry has potential but has almost 0 growth and development as a character i would love to see him in a specific episode with and twilight specifically growing together  but he seems to perfect and could use more flaws 

• 2 weeks later...

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn...............

What u r another malewho shoves maleness via guitar or hip shoves.......................

..................it is 2015......not....the 1940s...............

no one cares Flash

no....one...cares...............

• Brohoof 1

Well, to be fair, Flash Sentry is a bland and unnecessary character, who did nothing really worthwhile that couldn't be done by someone else. His pairing with Twilight is indifferent to me to be honest. 

Fact: He could be as much of an Ensemble Darkhorse as many secondary and background characters are in the show, but he didn't because..... he stole their waifu?  :blink: , at least all arguments of his dislike lead that way  :huh: . Anyway, reading Flash Sentry rants was entertaining while it lasted  :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I never understood the hate for Flash Sentry. I think he's pretty awesome. He's a chill dude.

• Brohoof 1

I can say I like or hate him. He's really too bland to inspire those kinds of emotions in me.

I will say that as one of only a handful of characters that are new and unique to EqG that I hope that something interesting happens with him.

Who exactly is Flash Sentry outside of being the nice popular guitar playing male character who's attracted only to prom princess ponies and owns a car?

Edited by Singe

I understand where the Flash haters are coming from. Flash exists soley for a love interest for Twilight; nothing more. He's generic, bland, and has absolutely no character development. I don't like him as a character, but I don't full on hate him. I think it's silly to hate a fictitious cartoon character. I mean it's okay to dislike a character, but hate is going too far.

Speaking of Flash, it seems the whole "waifu-stealer" thing is a really popular thing to say among Flash haters. I mean really? Why do you even care about Flash loving Twilight? My point is, hate is unnecessary on a character.

Edited by MissBookworm

I don't know how I feel about Flash Sentry as a character. But... his voice actor. He's like the coolest person ever. I met Vincent in person at the recent Ponycon NYC, and he was a totally awesome person. So I can't say I hate Flash. Because his voice actor is so awesome and cool!  B)

I mean, come on. Look at this guy go! 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWfw8YG2bKA

(Guy sitting in the front snapping his fingers is me!  :lol: )

Edited by Shadowking58

I don't know how I feel about Flash Sentry as a character. But... his voice actor. He's like the coolest person ever. I met Vincent in person at the recent Ponycon NYC, and he was a totally awesome person. So I can't say I hate Flash. Because his voice actor is so awesome and cool!  B)

I mean, come on. Look at this guy go! 

(Guy sitting in the front snapping his fingers is me!  :lol: )

HAY YEAH, SHAKE IT BRO, YA GOT THA' MOVEZ  B)

• Brohoof 1

it is quite interesting, really. I, personally, hate Flash because I love Twilight to much! I feel like if Flash and Twi DO have some sort of relationship in the future, I feel like twilight would have sorta "left" the main role of her personality. Cute little dorky twi should stay that, and not become cute little dating twi. Just my opinion. And, I just do not like Flash's personality in general. He is like this "I am all that-but little do you know I am not" type guy.

And I like the mane six relationship waaaaaaaay more.

People here aren't understanding that the Mane 6 are maturing, and usually, in life, when you mature, you find a mate. I know it must feel a little weird to see someone you have seen go without a relationship for the duration of the show suddenly hop into a crush with some random young man, but that's how life is. I believe that the Mane 6 wouldn't stay single forever, after all.

Me? I think Flash Sentry is cool, although he is very, very cliche.

The TS/FS romance plays more on TS vulnerability than anything else. A lot of her established interests and such are left at the portal in Equestria.

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 1

because hes nothing, he has no point for existing, he was introduced as a token love character, he has no personality and no back story, hes bland as all get out, and then theres the fact that people dont want to think of twilight sparkle, a newly formed princess and a respected member of her community, shacking up with a high school jock