Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Thoughts on Flash Sentry Haters

Mantis01

The Flash Sentry/Twilight Sparkle romance is this.

1. They bump into each other a few times.

2. Flash helps out Twilight once in place of any of the HuMane 5.

3. He goes to the dance with her and have one dance.

4. In the second movie it has him obsessed over Twilight.

5. He's a jealous jerk to her under the influence of Siren magic to make her cry.

6. By the end, he just hugs and tries to kiss her.

Well at least he was grateful for being freed of the Sirens' spell declaring,"Rainbooms Rule!"

Unlike Trixie, who remained ungrateful for the rescue shouting,"...you will never have the amazing show-stopping ability of The Great and Powerful Trixie!"

Flash has a much nicer attitude than EG Trixie will ever have if this keeps up with her.

The "nice guy" thing only works because it plays on Twilight Sparkle's moment of weakness, which allowed Flash Sentry to win her over doing just one deed. Her standards/interests were left back in Equestria and her other human friends were kept away from helping her so Flash Sentry could pull it off. All in all, it was a rather cheap setup to hook up those two.

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 1

The fact that you have to pull the "Flash stole my waifu" strawman shows the complete lack of sincerity in your opinions. Flash Sentry is despised because he has absolutely no personality whatsoever. Generic cardboard has more personality than him. On top of that, he's a Gary Stu, specifically a Romantic Stu, and a stereotype. His whole identity is to be Twilight's love interest.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you probably like Twilight.  Now I don't mean you're necessarily in love with her, but you love her character and personality.  This is actually the kind of thing I'm talking about.  People get really defensive when you bring it up and they make remarks, such as 'lack of sincerity' when describing someone's opinion, ultimately in an attempt to find some way to invalidate what they say.  Before I go any further, let me emphasize that my 'opinion' (as it were) is completely sincere.  I know of cases where the people have come out and admitted that this was the reason they hate Flash.  And more often than not, people will not admit to this, especially when it comes to a character that isn't human.

But more than that, this happens all the time with cartoons.  As I said before, this is sometimes known as the Ami Mizuno Effect, because Ami was one of the first cartoon characters this happened with by in large (it also happened with Starfire from Teen Titans).

Also, it's extremely disrespectful to both Twilight and the show for how Twilight attracted to him. Each time they meet, they're always bumping into one another. Once is fine, but it happens so often, the cliché turns from funny to obnoxious quickly. To make it worse, Twilight and Flash have no chemistry, and Twilight only likes him because he looks hot. That's it. If you want to give a main character a love interest, at least spend some time giving him an actual personality, one that subdues the sexist stereotypes.

It sounds to me like you find it more disrespectful to you personally than to Twilight and the show.  The reason I say this is because, simply put, MLP FiM is a show with cliches.  Just about every cliche and trope in the book has been used, and to great (or in some cases, not so great) effect.  In fact, the next season of FiM is going to use one of the biggest cliches there is in media.  

Yet nobody is complaining about that.  They're complaining instead about the cliches of a character who isn't even canon.

Edited by SBaby

All I can say is we have our reasons....very much so :P Onward my fellow comrades! We shall destroy him for his perfectness and blandness :sneer:

Edited by Pink Mist
  • Brohoof 1

@@Yamet,

The fact that you have to pull the "Flash stole my waifu" strawman shows the complete lack of sincerity in your opinions. Flash Sentry is despised because he has absolutely no personality whatsoever. Generic cardboard has more personality than him. On top of that, he's a Gary Stu, specifically a Romantic Stu, and a stereotype. His whole identity is to be Twilight's love interest.

Also, it's extremely disrespectful to both Twilight and the show for how Twilight attracted to him. Each time they meet, they're always bumping into one another. Once is fine, but it happens so often, the cliché turns from funny to obnoxious quickly. To make it worse, Twilight and Flash have no chemistry, and Twilight only likes him because he looks hot. That's it. If you want to give a main character a love interest, at least spend some time giving him an actual personality, one that subdues the sexist stereotypes.

Flash Sentry is despised because he has absolutely no personality whatsoever

So is Silver Shill, and no one is hatin' him  >_>

Also, it's extremely disrespectful to both Twilight and the show for how Twilight attracted to him. Each time they meet, they're always bumping into one another. Once is fine, but it happens so often, the cliché turns from funny to obnoxious quickly. To make it worse, Twilight and Flash have no chemistry, and Twilight only likes him because he looks hot. That's it. If you want to give a main character a love interest, at least spend some time giving him an actual personality, one that subdues the sexist stereotypes.

Well, FiM is not exactly cliche free either . Yeah, I get that the romance subplot was badly done by it's standards, but it's nothing to kill for  >_>

• Brohoof 1

Better start doing a topic on My Little Pony topic.

There been people who like  Equestria Girls, there been people who hate. The character who got the most hate was Flasn Sentry, who Twilight gotten a crush on and I thought fan hating the Archies comic Sonic and Sally paring was worse.

The main reason bronies are hating on Flash is because he pair with Twilight and they want to pair their gary sue OCs with her. I find this Flash hate to be ridiculous, what wrong with Twilight having a crush on Flash and what wrong with he being on the series. It not like he was in love with Twilight in Equestria Girls, he just wanted to help Twilight. I get that bronies like Twilight Sparkle, I also like her as well, but not too much and don't want to pair her with a OC's character. Why would they want to pair their OC with her, why do they fall in her with Twilight, and why would Twilight like their OCs, she have to know them. Back to Flash Sentry, I really want to know about his character, his strength and weakness. I do want to see him in season five. 

What are your thoughts ?

First of all, even though a portion of the fandom wants to pair their Gary Stu OC with Twilight, that portion is extremely small, as anyone pairing an OC with a major canon character is almost immediately lynched and flamed by the fandom. What I think you do not see is that the actual Gary is Brad. Perfect guy, kind, popular, has plenty of money and even his own car. Doesn't that resemble some cliche "Goody Two-Shoes" character? 

As for strength and weaknesses for Brad, here are the practical ones:

Strengths

Nice, kind, handsome, rich, popular, nice speaker, etc etc.

Weaknesses

None.

Now, the actual ones who will make him a good or bad character:

Strengths

He exists.

Weaknesses

Complete lack of any kind of real weaknesses which would make him an interesting character. Is a "Goody-Two-Shoes" who is good at everything and achieves all he wants immediately, plus he's the biggest waifu stealer fag who has ever been created by a somehow decent toy company.

So, even though from your point of view Brad is fine, from most of ours he isn't. A good character can be like Brad, but that requires him to struggle to accomplish what he/she wants and have flaws which counterbalance those strengths. 

TL:DR version: Brad is the actual Gary Stu.

The "nice guy" thing only works because it plays on Twilight Sparkle's moment of weakness, which allowed Flash Sentry to win her over doing just one deed. Her standards/interests were left back in Equestria and her other human friends were kept away from helping her so Flash Sentry could pull it off. All in all, it was a rather cheap setup to hook up those two.

This picture can explain something.

post-30211-0-81783500-1427932018_thumb.jpg

(edited)

This picture can explain something.

The issue is setup and execution being cheap in my opinion for Flash to win Twilight over so easily with so little effort on his part.

Edited by Singe

The issue is setup and execution being cheap in my opinion for Flash to win Twilight over so easily with so little effort on his part.

Precisely. As I said, Flash feels really too much like a Gary Stu. If I was to ship my character with Twilight (which I would never do, for any cannon character), and if he/she was a Gary/Mary Stu/Sue, it would make little to no difference.

(edited)

I can't believe I'm actually going to use my time for this but here we go. First of all, he had a right to be helpful to Twilight. Okay HE broke up with Sunset Shimmer before Twilight even came. So he obviously was smart enough to see that she was being a total jerk. And when Sunset Shimmer tried to frame Twilight for ruining the fall formal, he was suspicious considering he knew that Sunset Shimmer would do that so he probably felt the need to help Twilight because he knew what Sunset Shimmer was like. And this is just for him being "too helpful"

P.S. I do not want to argue.

Edited by TwilightAqua
  • Brohoof 2

Not exactly haters, but its just awkward that he appeared out of nowhere and start romance with Twi. I just don't like how Flash is treated horribly. I blame the writers for this. No point hating on a fictional character.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Okay HE broke up with Sunset Shimmer before Twilight even came.

Sunset Shimmer: It's okay. Flash is a great guy and all, but I never really liked-him liked him. I was just using him to become more popular. Ugh! The old me really was just awful, wasn't she?

More like Sunset Shimmer dumped him since she had no romantic chemistry with him to begin with. She just used him as a tool for his popularity and no other specific qualities of his character other than a generalized "great guy".

Edited by Singe

To be honest, i liked Flash Sentry. I do agree that he is blan and could use some fleshing out, which I believe the show should do. Once he is fleshed out more, I believe people will like him better. Accept for those who ship Twilight with there OC.  

• Brohoof 1

• 6 months later...

Some Flash Sentry haters are the most annoyingest people in the Galaxy.

I mean, sure, Flash Sentry isn't the best MLP character ever, but oh god, his haters never shut up.

"i hate flash sen3 bcuz i ship mah oc wit twilit sparkil"

"y do u lik flash sen3 he sux"

"i dun lik flahs sen3 he haz no persunalitee"

"i hope flash sen3 getz shot bcuz i dun lik him"

"why does flash sen3 get to appear in episodes but derpee duznt i hayt flash sen3 bcuz of dis"

SHUT ALREADY!

Edited by Little Riolu 2
  • Brohoof 4

Sunset Shimmer: It's okay. Flash is a great guy and all, but I never really liked-him liked him. I was just using him to become more popular. Ugh! The old me really was just awful, wasn't she?

More like Sunset Shimmer dumped him since she had no romantic chemistry with him to begin with. She just used him as a tool for his popularity and no other specific qualities of his character other than a generalized "great guy".

*Ahem.* Nope. 

From the transcript:

Rarity: Don't even think about it! You're already trying to get her crown. Who knows what Sunset Shimmer would do if you ended up getting her ex-boyfriend too? Twilight Sparkle: I'm not trying to. I don't even know... We just accidentally... Ex-boyfriend? Fluttershy: Flash Sentry broke up with her a few weeks ago. I can't believe she hasn't done something awful to him yet. Twilight Sparkle: Maybe she's just waiting until she has the power to do something really awful.

Flash dumped Sunset Shimmer. Not "she broke up with him" or "they broke up"; "he broke up with her". And implied expectation of revenge. So unless you've got other evidence, it's confirmed that Flash was the one who did the dumping.

• Brohoof 1

*Ahem.* Nope. 

From the transcript:

Rarity: Don't even think about it! You're already trying to get her crown. Who knows what Sunset Shimmer would do if you ended up getting her ex-boyfriend too? Twilight Sparkle: I'm not trying to. I don't even know... We just accidentally... Ex-boyfriend? Fluttershy: Flash Sentry broke up with her a few weeks ago. I can't believe she hasn't done something awful to him yet. Twilight Sparkle: Maybe she's just waiting until she has the power to do something really awful.

Flash dumped Sunset Shimmer. Not "she broke up with him" or "they broke up"; "he broke up with her". And implied expectation of revenge. So unless you've got other evidence, it's confirmed that Flash was the one who did the dumping.

That's how it looked on the outside and they didn't know everything about the Flash/Sunset at that time. In my view, Sunset said that there wasn't an actual legit relationship to begin with claiming it was just a charade to use Flash to bolster herself. Flash in my view was already "dumped" from the start and only served as nothing more than a tool.

The main point of my previous post was that Sunset Shimmer had nothing more to say about Flash than a general great guy.

Edited by Singe

That's how it looked on the outside and they didn't know everything about the Flash/Sunset at that time. In my view, Sunset said that there wasn't an actual legit relationship to begin with claiming it was just a charade to use Flash to bolster herself. Flash in my view was already "dumped" from the start and only served as nothing more than a tool.

To be blunt, you can add "in my view" as much as you like. It doesn't matter when your view is flat-out contradicted by evidence, in this case, exposition. Your view is that Sunset Shimmer was the one doing the dumping. The writers, through Fluttershy's dialogue, state the opposite. Unless you have equivalent evidence for your view, your view is incorrect. Or at the least, is incongruous with what we have been told.

Sunset later revealing that her motives for entering into the relationship were all selfish and manipulative from the start doesn't change the fact there was a relationship, or how the relationship ended. If I dated a woman purely because she was rich, and she found out and dumped me, I couldn't honestly claim that I dumped her instead. Or as another analogy, it doesn't matter what my reasons for taking a particular job are: if I were to be fired, it would be dishonest to claim that I "quit" instead.

The main point of my previous post was that Sunset Shimmer had nothing more to say about Flash than a general great guy.

That's a valid point, and I wouldn't have made it an issue... except you also contradicted the poster you quoted when they pointed out that Flash dumped Sunset Shimmer first. I'm just giving evidence to support their statement.

• Brohoof 1

A matter of perception on how one views a fake relationship.

A fake relationship from the start is still a fake. Dumping someone in a fake relationship only counts from which side one views the relationship. The dialogue referred to by Fluttershy was just from the view of a character who was tricked into thinking that Flash and Sunset were in an actual legit relationship, which it wasn't.

I'm done with this.

Edited by Singe

A matter of perception on how one views a fake relationship.

A fake relationship from the start is still a fake. Dumping someone in a fake relationship only counts from which side one views the relationship. The dialogue referred to by Fluttershy was just from the view of a character who was tricked into thinking that Flash and Sunset were in an actual legit relationship, which it wasn't.

I'm done with this.

So "done" you keep editing your post, I see. Well, as they say, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. We'll have to agree to disagree. Thanks for the debate.

• Brohoof 1

I mean, sure, Flash Sentry isn't the best MLP character ever, but oh god, his haters never shut up.

"why does flash sen3 get to appear in episodes but derpee duznt i hayt flash sen3 bcuz of dis"

SHUT ALREADY!

At least their anti Flashy rants are funny  :lol: , the only thing that pisses me off about them is when they make fics with him as Ron the Death Eater  >_> . Well, any Ron the Death Eater in any fic pisses me off, including for Diamond Tiara  :lol:

I never saw the sense in all the Flash Sentry hate. I have no problem with human or pony Twilight expressing a little interest in a basically nice guy. Yes, he needs some character development, but there's no reason to hate him.

@@Steve Piranha,

I had to Google "Ron the Death Eater" (Not a Harry Potter fan)

Thanks for making me laugh!

I think that the majority of people who hate on Flash Sentry actually have strong feelings about Twilight like as if they were in a relationship with her or something, or that they are just jealous that Flash Sentry actually get's to experience real Twi love or something when certain people want to be in that situation....

Edited by Rawzy
  • Brohoof 3

SHUT ALREADY!

I think that the majority of people who hate on Flash Sentry actually have strong feelings about Twilight like as if they were in a relationship with her or something, or that they are just jealous that Flash Sentry actually get's to experience real Twi love or something when certain people want to be in that situation....

I don't even know what I'm saying....

:muffins::derp:

Each of your opinions died from your strawmen (and to Riolu, your use of mock-netspeak doesn't help you one bit; in fact, it only proves their point). Flash is despised because he's flatter than your usual brown cardboard, a stereotype, and pointless from a storytelling perspective. If Flash Sentry was an actual character rather than a generalized fantasy of a high-school version of Prince Charming, then he wouldn't be disliked.

Why is their romance disliked? There's no chemistry. She likes him simply because he's gorgeous, and they never built it genuinely. They could've given him goals to achieve and have them completely relevant to the plots, but he's already successful.

I never saw the sense in all the Flash Sentry hate. I have no problem with human or pony Twilight expressing a little interest in a basically nice guy. Yes, he needs some character development, but there's no reason to hate him.

There's plenty of reason to hate him. FIM's built on pro-feminist characterizations, character development, and subversions of clichés in feminine entertainment. Flash Sentry's caricature status and backdrop are enablers. That's why his appearances are obnoxious regardless of quantity even though he's not obnoxious himself.

• Brohoof 2