Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why Are Bronies Disliked?

Aureity

Nobody ever said hatred makes sense xD  People associate being gay with being girly, and we are guys doing something girly, so that apparently shows we must be gay in their minds.  Does it make sense? No, but most stereotypes don't.

Honestly though that's my biggest problem with the hatred and harassment... a lot of the things that people hate this community for have a basis in reality, but it's the stereotyping.  This is such a diverse community and there really aren't any stereotypes that will fit most all of us because we're all such different people.  So i get really frustrated when the community is subjected to stereotypes based on things a small number of people do.

That's all they do is. stereotype. Because they might be afraid of the truth. But i am stereotyping saying "they" as one whole group. making the person seem like the others. Some haters can be very similar. But many haters have made mistakes of calling me ery stereotypical things. I obviously corrected them and gave them proof. But like any normal hater they just deny it. Seeing mostly some of them are scared of the truth or just think i am lying.

You know, I never once received hatred for liking the show. Many people know I watch it, and I have never had anyone really come after me for it. It's not  about watching the show, it's about being too in your face about it. By all means watch the show and be a brony, but don't slam it in people's face when it's not pertinent. If you do that, I assure you that the amount of hate you'll get will be significantly less. People will always hate people for liking things they don't like, but if you're not obnoxious about what you like, you'll find many people don't care.

The hypocrycy, the shovelimg down your throat thingy, the vocal, arrogant, obnoxious minority, and I guess because bronies are rather obsessive and act like MLP is the only thing that matters. That's about it, I think.

Nobody ever said hatred makes sense xD  People associate being gay with being girly, and we are guys doing something girly, so that apparently shows we must be gay in their minds.  Does it make sense? No, but most stereotypes don't.

Honestly though that's my biggest problem with the hatred and harassment... a lot of the things that people hate this community for have a basis in reality, but it's the stereotyping.  This is such a diverse community and there really aren't any stereotypes that will fit most all of us because we're all such different people.  So i get really frustrated when the community is subjected to stereotypes based on things a small number of people do.

That's pretty much the case.  Most of the hate is nothing but generalizing.  They see a few bronies doing something they don't like (even though I guarantee members of a fandom THEY belong to probably do the same thing), so they immediately assume everyone does it.

As I said on a previous topic though, we don't make haters attack us.  Haters make that decision for themselves, just like everything else.  If FiM wasn't as much of a meme, they would find some other excuse to attack the fandom, much like how there are haters that attack Sonic and Final Fantasy fandoms.  But at the end of the day, that's all it is, an excuse.  And as someone once said on NYPD Blue, 'Everyone's got an excuse'.

That's why I made the decision not to worry about them too much.  I just let them wear themselves out.

Edited by SBaby

You know, I never once received hatred for liking the show. Many people know I watch it, and I have never had anyone really come after me for it. It's not  about watching the show, it's about being too in your face about it. By all means watch the show and be a brony, but don't slam it in people's face when it's not pertinent. If you do that, I assure you that the amount of hate you'll get will be significantly less. People will always hate people for liking things they don't like, but if you're not obnoxious about what you like, you'll find many people don't care.

It depends on what site you're on and where it's brought up, I have heard of some cases where people have been banned just for having pony avatars or sigs. 

I suppose it's select members of the community who insert MLP themed things in areas where they are innapropriate. I have personally not recieved any hatred per se for my enjoyment of the show, though my fandom is fairly new. I can assure you that as combat a veteran I consider myself fairly masculine, however I do not feel my opinions of the show itself have any bearing on that. I think that cultural stereotypes are a difficult thing for anybody to get over, when behavior is ingrained it's almost involuntary. You're a guy so go like sports, beer and explosions! (I do also like these things... but whatever).

I imagine if somebody was attempting to have a discussion on a topic completely unrelated, then a tangent conversation about ponies and numerous pictures and memes posted would slightly derail their discussion and be considered a nuisance. I can understand that, but unrequinted hatred of MLP fans in general is uncalled for to be sure. We should all do our best to be understanding and not instigate more hatred.

I can relate a different story.

For different reasons people around me dont really know what MLP is

reasons:

-people here dont speak English that well (i mean in the country I come from)

-my friends/ people I know are not that much into roaming the internet as I am < girls for e.g have no idea what MLP is... very few know it  and most of those that do, enjoy other so called geeky activities like reading comics, cosplay, anime etc.> ) 

- I am a bit old for cartoons in general (I dont think that, the stereotypical image of what a girl of 20 something should be like in my country says that)

So when I sometimes tell people i watch a tv shows with animated ponies meant for kids, the just shrug it off and think its just one of my quirks. I guess you can't call it brony hate. Its more like something that doesn't fit the norm. (  which is quite funny considering that what women find okay to watch here are Turkish soap operas- they're like watching the paint dry) 

What I'm trying to say is that people dislike bronies because they watch/like etc. things that society does not deem okay for its peers.

(and i think a lot of people said this already )

We are a minority, we can get bushed around. its that simple

Edited by DizzyMel

it's cruel and i hate it, i made a ref to rainbow dash and i get called -HA GAYYYY- its so annoying

i dont rage at haters, i let them do their thing, as they say

HATERS GONNA HATE

It isn't cruel, it's simply childish and immature. If this bothers you, I'm not sure there's much to do about it. It's simple base-lacking humor, poor at that. It's more of a failing attempt at humor through poor acceptance to interests.

-

I stand that with my opinion that the bronies are disliked because of arrogance and intolerance, when they are two things they fight against. Hypocrisy is abundant in this fandom, and with continued self-confidence and belief they are defeating 'gender stereotypes', when really they simply are having different interests, nothing new, adds on to such.

Edited by Warning Points

It isn't cruel, it's simply childish and immature. If this bothers you, I'm not sure there's much to do about it. It's simple base-lacking humor, poor at that. It's more of a failing attempt at humor through poor acceptance to interests.

-

I stand that with my opinion that the bronies are disliked because of arrogance and intolerance, when they are two things they fight against. Hypocrisy is abundant in this fandom, and with continued self-confidence and belief they are defeating 'gender stereotypes', when really they simply are having different interests, nothing new, adds on to such.

Honestly that can be said about any community, or any gathering of people that share a common interest. Just because we like something doesnt mean we are better/ or worse than someone that does/doesn't. Being a better and kinder person takes work ( but thats just me probably )

Honestly that can be said about any community, or any gathering of people that share a common interest. Just because we like something doesnt mean we are better/ or worse than someone that does/doesn't. Being a better and kinder person takes work ( but thats just me probably )

That doesn't exclude how excessively rude and arrogant this fandom can be, and is in some areas. Even between members, the arrogance and intolerance to differing opinions is abundant. Sure, being a kinder and well-spirited person is a task for an 'x' amount of time, but that seems even more distance with the various assholes this fandom has, and the lack of ambition to remove those, and the cons of the other members.

We are a minority, we can get bushed around. its that simple

No, we just don't shut up about being a 'minority.'

That doesn't exclude how excessively rude and arrogant this fandom can be, and is in some areas. Even between members, the arrogance and intolerance to differing opinions is abundant. Sure, being a kinder and well-spirited person is a task for an 'x' amount of time, but that seems even more distance with the various assholes this fandom has, and the lack of ambition to remove those, and the cons of the other members.

ow my... I did not mean it like that. You made me it sound worse that I intended( you made me sound like I was complaining). If everybody liked MLP like everybody likes shoes for e.g ( oki I think everybody likes shoes, not sure) than it would become a commodity.

bleh we are on the same page to some degree really. 

I think there is not much it can be done about it. There is no real good answer to this question, nor can it be a solution that doesn't sound too much like an Utopia. 

It depends on what site you're on and where it's brought up, I have heard of some cases where people have been banned just for having pony avatars or sigs. 

Yeah but most of those sites aren't places where people are known for being "fine gentlemen". they're kind of "what do you expect?" kind of places from what I see.

Sure, being a kinder and well-spirited person is a task for an 'x' amount of time, but that seems even more distance with the various assholes this fandom has, and the lack of ambition to remove those, and the cons of the other members.

So, you would rather us go on a witch hunt every time we see something in the fandom we don't like?  Trying to keep every bad member of a fanbase in check is an exercise in futility, and all it would do is make us look like dogs chasing cars.

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 1

So, you would rather us go on a witch hunt every time we see something in the fandom we don't like?  That is an exercise in futility, and all it would do is make us look like dogs chasing cars.

That's a poor interpretation of my post. I meant that this fandom will not get better if the assholes in it are the most notorious, and the ambition to improve is near non-existent.

That's a poor interpretation of my post. I meant that this fandom will not get better if the assholes in it are the most notorious, and the ambition to improve is near non-existent.

Though you are correct in saying this, that is not what you said at all.  

Sure, being a kinder and well-spirited person is a task for an 'x' amount of time, but that seems even more distance with the various assholes this fandom has, and the lack of ambition to remove those, and the cons of the other members.

That's what you said, and that was what I was replying to.

Edited by SBaby

Well I suppose it depends on how you interpret things.

As there is no way to detect tone of voice, mood or sarcasm when reading text, I have no choice but to interpret words exactly the way they are posted when on this site.  If you would like me to interpret them differently, you need to rephrase what you are saying.

I don't entirely disagree with you.  I'm just illustrating that this is the only real way things can be taken on a forum.

Edited by SBaby

Yeah but most of those sites aren't places where people are known for being "fine gentlemen". they're kind of "what do you expect?" kind of places from what I see.

Maybe in some cases, but oddly enough it's usually the places you'd expect that, that is doesn't happen. The Creepypasta wiki is a good example, you think they would be hostile to it, but they're not and over half the active staff are bronies. 

with continued self-confidence and belief they are defeating 'gender stereotypes', when really they simply are having different interests, nothing new, adds on to such.

Different interests than what is considered the gender norm is going against the gender stereotype. While its not defeating anything, it's hardly  just different interests at all.

If it was just different interests, than there'd be less controversy over it created by mass media. This fandom represents an extremely different interest en masse to the population. And its a fairly upsetting thing to some people just for that. The general stereotype has been broken, and its not sitting well with some people. 

This isn't something with the fandom, and theres no set government within it, so there is no way to "remove" these aspects even if it were. Let alone control it. Nor are they even remotely exclusive. Also given that generally in a social situation, even so much as liking the show would label someone as a "brony" just by association, The only way to even exclude the supposed problem members would be to somehow get those against the fandom in general to disassociate them. And lets face it, that just isn't going to happen any more than trying to disassociate the stereotype of any thing from its base and those that believe it whether its factual or not.

Welcome however to the human race and this planet we call earth. The issues your blaming the fandom with is something thats inherent in the entire species, these aren't complaints about the fans, its complaints about the entire human species as a whole.

Edited by GrimCW
  • Brohoof 1

I need to make a point about a lot of the complaints about arrogance, hypocrisy, bigots, morons, fanbrats and such. Those aren't brony problems, those are problems with the internet in general and I can easily find people displaying the same attitude about other works, or random bullshit in general.

Also worth noting that(from what I've seen as someone who's been a internet citizen since I was like 13-14) most of the brony sites I've been on(key word "most", /MLP/ tends to be a massive exception of the rule) tend to actually have lower concentrations of these things and just in general feel like more mature and grown-up feeling environments than a good chunk of the rest of the internet. This website being a good example because I enjoy discussing certain serious issues here the debate pit, that I would dread if they came up in many other places I frequent. Same with my brony chat-group on Facebook.     

There's real no way to "improve" because the fandom is not a hive-mind or a organized group with rules and member qualifications. It's not like we all carry brony IDs and have a central authority that can revoke them so people can ask for credentials and go "oh, you don't have an ID? you must not be a real brony and just some dumbass that likes ponies"   

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 2