Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why Are Bronies Disliked?

Aureity

I think, possibly, the reason these "brony haters" hate on Bronies so much is because they don't really understand what it is. It might be just me, and people have brought up some interesting points on this thread, but I think that the people who dislike us are the people who never really understood. Much like highschoolers (me) hate math and science so much, because they don't get it and it's difficult to process (also me). That's just a theory though. It doesn't bother me much that they don't like the show, because that's their personal opinion, but it shouldn't matter to them that I like the show either. Like I said, preference. *shrug* my opinion. Lol :P

I think a lot of people don't like bronies because some (not all) people like to shove it in people's faces. I hate the idea of "converting" people to the fandom. I have recommended the show to a few of my friends, and a couple have watched it, and not liked it. That's fine. Not everyone has to enjoy our show about colorful horses. If I hadn't watched the show, I'd be pretty pissed at some pony fans too. 

• Brohoof 2

Bronies go around trying to "convert" people because they want what they do to be normal, and it's not. It's not bad, but it isn't normal. 

That's a loaded one, I could go on and one about the fact that(outside of condemning actions that hurt others) none of us have the right to define what "normal" is and it might as well just be a catch all excuse for people to shit on others for "not being normal" when used in this context. 

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 1

Fair game if you chose to associate right?

It may be "fair" to criticize people for being in the military, but it'll definitely lose you a lot of popularity contests.

And what do they say when you go to their message boards to call them out on it?

On their own message boards they don't make topics asking "why do people hate CoD players/sports fans/etc." They don't ask questions they don't want to know the answer to.

But you know what?  I don't go to every Pokémon site parading it around like I'm a white knight on some sort of holy crusade.  I just ignore it, and if I'm asked about it, then I tell them what I think.

Once again, how many "haters" have actually joined this site to post how much they  hate the show and such for no reason? And don't even say this topic, because if anyone in this topic states why they hate bronies it is entirely warranted to bring it up because the topic is asking the question of why do people hate bronies. 

Once again, no one is really coming here and preaching their hatred for bronies unwarrantedly. I don't understand why people are acting like there is this huge majority of people going to brony "safe havens" and invading them. Sure Howard Stern cherrypicked some crap at BronyCon to make people look bad, but it's not like 300 people stood outside and protested the entire convention. It's not like brony sites are raided on such a massage scale that they are being DDoSed on a regular basis or something. Bronies don't get as much "hate" as they are making it out to be. Most people don't even know what bronies are still and this perception of so much "hate" is getting old fast. Honestly, when was the last time you were seriously bullied for being a brony? I am willing to wager that there may be a handful of people here who can say they were honestly bullied, but I am willing to wager that a majority of you have not been bullied worse than the gay kids at a lot of schools, or the otakus, or even the goth kids.

I am perfectly open about my like for the show (granted I'm not a brony) and I don't think I've been "bullied" once. I had one or two people give me an odd look, and maybe one or two say "oh that's gay", but no one has honestly harassed me about it. Are there any real statistics for bronies who are being bullied that are not egging bullies on? I am sorry, but "love and tolerate" is egging them on. It's just announcing your passive aggressiveness. It's saying "I will not let you get to me" out loud which defeats the purpose. It's more or less challenging them to get you instead of actually ignoring them. If someone says something bad about me for liking a show, I don't acknowledge them and they get bored and move on.

I refuse to acknowledge this idea that bronies receive and unusual amount of hatred and bullying until I start seeing some evidence that supports that. I mean nothing on the same scale of when anonymous went and spoiled the ending to a Harry Potter book that just came out has happened to bronies. That is a blatant act of unwarranted harassment on a major scale, considering Potter fans really aren't trying to be anything like bronies are.

I guess at the end of the day, I don't liken enjoying a cartoon meant for a younger audience to suddenly breaking social restraints. I already did that by being bisexual, and many other things. Liking a show for little girls doesn't suddenly make you breaking gender roles or social restraints. It that were the case, PowerPuff Girl fans beat you by 20 years, and Sailor Moon fans beat you by more than that. The only difference is they didn't have the internet to assist in their unification. Not to mention, I am pretty sure that the PowerPuff fanbase was much larger than the ponies one. 

Once again, how many "haters" have actually joined this site to post how much they  hate the show and such for no reason?

We've had our share.  I'm sure if you ask people that have been here longer than me, they could probably name names.  Personally, I've seen several that admitted to it, including one that we really don't talk about very much.

And don't even say this topic, because if anyone in this topic states why they hate bronies it is entirely warranted to bring it up because the topic is asking the question of why do people hate bronies.

Good, because I don't have to count this topic when I mention problems we've had in the past.  But really, if they hate bronies or FiM, why are they even on this site, other than to antagonize us?

Edited by SBaby

We've had our share.  I'm sure if you ask people that have been here longer than me, they could probably name names.  Personally, I've seen several that admitted to it, including one that we really don't talk about very much.

But that's out of how many people? I mean are there honestly hundreds of people coming all the time? I mean sure you may have even had 20, but in the large scale is that really significant? there's almost 20,000 members here. More or less, my whole point is if you want to solve a problem you have to look at it realistically, and admit your role in it.

Can we at least agree that there are a lot of bronies that are a bit obnoxious about being a brony? And can we also agree that perhaps they could conduct themselves a little better? It seems as though every brony is only interested in getting "haters" to admit their wrongdoing, which they may be guilty of, but no one appears to be willing to meet anyone halfway.

It seems as though every brony is only interested in getting "haters" to admit their wrongdoing, which they may be guilty of, but no one appears to be willing to meet anyone halfway.

Actually, most bronies would rather the haters just leave them alone and go do something more productive with their lives.  But as people are still trying to rationalize people treating others like garbage, that obviously isn't going to happen.

Actually, most bronies would rather the haters just leave them alone and go do something more productive with their lives.  But as people are still trying to rationalize people treating others like garbage, that obviously isn't going to happen.

Well we could sit here wishing for a perfect world until the cows come home, but that is a non-solution because it's proposing a solution to the problem that realistically will never happen. Instead, let us not dwell on what will never be.

Also you dodged the questions. Please answer them.

It may be "fair" to criticize people for being in the military, but it'll definitely lose you a lot of popularity contests.

This is true on any level as well however.

Choosing to criticize against the majority is always going to be an issue, especially within their own place of habitation. 

• Brohoof 1

Well we could sit here wishing for a perfect world until the cows come home, but that is a non-solution because it's proposing a solution to the problem that realistically will never happen. Instead, let us not dwell on what will never be.

Also you dodged the questions. Please answer them.

To answer that, I will say it got bad enough to the point that several of our higher profile members had to leave the fandom because they were worried for their own safety.  That should never happen.

Edited by SBaby

This is true on any level as well however.

Choosing to criticize against the majority is always going to be an issue, especially within their own place of habitation. 

I am not even going to try and combat this any further because it's just turning into a pissing contest.

The point of the thread is not if it is "right or wrong" to hate bronies, merely asking why. People don't always have good reasons for hating bronies and whether they do or do not is always debatable at best. We could go back and forth for centuries about this, but neither of us is going to prove the other one more "right".

At the end of the day, both haters and bronies do shit that they shouldn't. I think we can all agree to that, and simply leave it there for now, because I think we're all kind of tired of arguing the semantics of if it's right or wrong.

I am not even going to try and combat this any further because it's just turning into a pissing contest.

The point of the thread is not if it is "right or wrong" to hate bronies, merely asking why. People don't always have good reasons for hating bronies and whether they do or do not is always debatable at best. We could go back and forth for centuries about this, but neither of us is going to prove the other one more "right".

At the end of the day, both haters and bronies do shit that they shouldn't. I think we can all agree to that, and simply leave it there for now, because I think we're all kind of tired of arguing the semantics of if it's right or wrong.

This is what happens when you generalize an entire fanbase.

However, I think I'll follow this advice.  Allow me to quote one of the best posts I've ever seen on a forum.

I think it's pretty clear that this conversation is getting nowhere. Just the other day I was in a Facebook debate. (It was a Windows 8 debate) Neither side of the debate would accept any information from the other and would make ridiculous claims from their one-sided sources. I personally ended the flame war by saying "It's clear none of us are going to back down and that we're just going to keep antagonizing one another. This isn't something I'm going to keep participating in." (To my surprise the argument ended about 4 or 5 messages later.)

Point is when both sides come across as biased and self-righteous, and when a side feels threatened or forced to defend, things get ugly and both sides end up attacking one another with absolutely no outcome that's positive. People get angry and stressed, which does in fact have an impact on their day and behavior beyond the internet.

I don't normally do this, but I think this post sums up this topic perfectly.

Edited by SBaby

• 1 month later...

I just wrote out a long response to someone who made another anti-bronies thread. But it got locked before I finished it, so I'm going to share it here so that it doesn't go to waste.

I know a high school girl who is super into nerd culture and the Internet, and she just flat-out believes that bronies are creepy. As far as I know she doesn't go out of her way to bash them in her free time, but that is her thought nonetheless.

I don't think that she means that literally every single person who likes the show is creepy (she doesn't think I am creepy) but the belief is that bronies are generally creepy and the ones who are not creepy are the exception, instead of the other way around. But because of the subjective nature of the statement (what is defined as creepy anyways?) it is difficult to argue this one.

There isn't a whole lot that one can do about that perspective unless the person with that opinion decides to be a little more open-minded and get to know people as individuals instead of shunning an entire group, because doing something, like, putting her in a room full of bronies wouldn't help much - she would already go in the situation feeling very uncomfortable and would likely run into one creepy brony - and one creepy brony would be enough to solidify her opinion even more. Again, perspective, but let's say that this guy is very open about his clopping habits and his favorite R34 and NSFW brony content - we can agree that that is creepy, yes? She could very well likely run into someone like that, as small as the chances are (1 out of 100? 1 out of 1000? I did run into a brony like this at Youmacon a couple of years ago, so it's not impossible).

I just think that the people who make those all-out generalizations aren't really quite grown-up enough to have a better understanding of people and the world they live in, and/or they do not have empathy for people who are different from themselves. And enough of those kinds of people are willing to go out of their way and troll/bully bronies just to feel like they have the upper hand and that they are right, and that there are certain rules that people need to live by and uphold, otherwise they need to be treated badly until they understand that rules are rules. Which, of course, doesn't work, but people who aren't mature or empathetic enough to understand that will live their lives as if that is how the world works.

There isn't much that we can do except live our lives the way we want as long as we aren't hurting anyone - and if we know anti-bronies personally and you have a good enough relationship to talk to them about it, we can talk about how generalizing an entire fanbase isn't the healthiest thing that you can do when analyzing human nature.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

The fact that there are a bunch of "ponyfied" stuff out there. Assasin's Creed, Portal, you name it, and certain people can't scroll past it and have to spout BS at bronies for "ruining their thing"

Also the fact that it messes with society's standard that grown men and women cannot watch a show that is in the target demographic of toddlers, mostly girls. And that guys are automatically gay if they don't like something that "normal men" do. And that girls should be lean with thigh gaps and can't play video games like a "man" does. And when they do, they must "get back in the kitchen". It pisses me off to no end, especially at school. The good thing is that most people at my school will be selling cocaine or marijuana in ten years time.

AAAAND the fact that some clop and look at R34. I don't have a problem with this but it's common knowledge that it is frowned upon, even in some parts of the brony community.

Let me just put this here:

"Bronies are 40 year old fatass neckbeards who rape little girls"

-A guy at my school.

"I want to make pony babies with you"

-Another guy at my school.

Seriously.

This is what some people think of bronies. That all they do is fap over ponies and all they do is PONYPONYPONY. Honestly, they've only seen the 4chan part of bronies. Not the good ones, the ones who give money to help out another brony (Michael Morones). The ones who just like the show and watch it with their buddies. It's annoying to know that I'm called faggot every single day from people at school, but I've got my friends to help me out.

Because guy bronies "don't follow the standard" that men should be all listening to rap music, watching Walking Dead, having a six pack, and playing CoD, they are hated. Same goes for lady bronies. They are meant to "get back in the kitchen", have thigh gaps, and just pretty much be a sextoy when they grow up. Because they watch a cartoon, they are hated upon.

And that's the thing that gets to me. That it's a TV show and it pretty much has no impact on them.

Leave them alone? No, just call them faggot.

That's the reason why bronies are hated. They "ruin your thing", and they don't follow the demographic set by society these days.

Edited by clebrony
  • Brohoof 7

They have a point. However, it's not like ALL bronies shove mlp in everyone's faces, just some. Also, they have a point in that it is rather hypocritical to feel the need to announce something that you SAY you're secure about to the whole world. But, its not bad to be proud and to proudly say you're a Brony if someone asks you directly.

• Brohoof 1

I really want to like Clebrony's post...

But then I saw that part about rap music and it made me sad and stuff.

Naw, just screwing with you. I get what you mean. Pretty good post overall.

I know I've posted in this topic before, but I'll just say it again: I really don't care about what people like or dislike, I've never gotten any hate or static for being a Brony before, so I'm all good. Then again, I don't go around announcing, but most people who know me know that I'm a Brony and are cool with it. It barely ever even comes up.

Bronies are disliked for various reasons...............especially in NJ.  From what I can tell you, from my point of view is that some bronies can somewhat be considered "sexual predators".  Even my uncle who is a PDO, told me that, yet that depends on the person.  Now, I for one, feel that bronies are disliked b/c the obvious, which is being a fan of a "all-girl" show, which in fact, the way I see MLP:FIM is more family oriented.  Unfortunately "haters" do not see it that way, which tells me one thing.........they have no sense of friendship nor caring of something. 

@@Aureity,

Just want to say that I love your avatar, :D

Bronies are disliked for various reasons...............especially in NJ.  From what I can tell you, from my point of view is that some bronies can somewhat be considered "sexual predators".  

As someone who's actually dealt with real sexual predators(my sister really knows how to pick em) that's the one that makes me shake me head the most.  

• Brohoof 2

As someone who's actually dealt with real sexual predators(my sister really knows how to pick em) that's the one that makes me shake me head the most.  

I hear you.   As an Network Admin, specialized in Security, i've ran into 3 in my career. Pretty scary, but even when im in Bronycon or any convention, i sometimes like to keep on lookout.

• Brohoof 1

I hear you.   As an Network Admin, specialized in Security, i've ran into 3 in my career. Pretty scary, but even when im in Bronycon or any convention, i sometimes like to keep on lookout.

The issue with conventions is that it wouldn't be hard for someone who doesn't even care about the content to show up just to perv around because they know kids might be there.

• Brohoof 2

Yeah...I know I'm probably going to get flame over this, so before I post let me just say these are NOT my views, they are the views of a few close friends I have who do not like bronies.

So why do some people find bronies annoying? I wondered that myself every day, as my friends started laughing every time I made a mlp reference. They smirked whenever I trawled the forums in my spare time (at school), and they poked holes with their pencils in my mlp doodles. Rather than get angry at them, however, I wondered Why? I searched up a few anti-brony websites just to figure out why some people hate bronies so much.

The result was actually quite surprising. Yes, some people hate bronies because they are homophobes and afraid to even look at something that seems slightly "queer" to them. It's definitely true, and there will always be people like that. But most of the people who dislike bronies (dislike not being fanatical hate, that's usually the homophobic rascists) dislike them for another reason-they simply don't like how bronies shove mlp into their faces.

According to one person, whose name I forgot, "It's not like I ("I" referring to the person who said the quote, not me) actually have anything against ponies. You can watch your show all you want for all I care, we all have something I like. It's just the amount of pony-related crap I go through all the time. It's everywhere on the internet, I can't go three feet without something pony-related being shove into my face. And when I try to tell them to quit it, they call me a hater."

Another quote I remember is "Bronies claim that they're (the guys at least) are just as masculine, and more secure about their masculinity, because they watch ponies and aren't afraid to show it. But that's actually rather hypocritical. If they felt so secure, they wouldn't feel the need to announce to the world that they like ponies. Look at all the coming-out stories. No one CARES. If you felt so secure about your position, you wouldn't feel the need to have to tell the entire world."

So what do you think about this, fellow bronies?

It depends. Most of the Bronies I've met try to get their friends to join the herd once, then they quit.

A friend who is not tolerant of their friends interests is not a real friend.

However you know you shouldn't push pony references into someones face if you know they aren't interested

"Don't do it anakin! it's not the Jedi way!"

• Brohoof 2

See, I used to be a hater. I can only come up with a few excuses why i used to hate:

• I hadn't watched the show, and based all of my hate on my limited knowledge of G3
  • The fear of the unknown (or Xenophobia) got me.
  • I was a complete and utter dick back then and i liked making people feel bad.
  • I got thrown on the band wagon by my older sister.

Yeah, now i'am a massive brony, that backfired. :)

• Brohoof 2

See, I used to be a hater. I can only come up with a few excuses why i used to hate:

• I hadn't watched the show, and based all of my hate on my limited knowledge of G3
  • The fear of the unknown (or Xenophobia) got me.
  • I was a complete and utter dick back then and i liked making people feel bad.
  • I got thrown on the band wagon by my older sister. 

Yeah, now i'am a massive brony, that backfired. :)

2 things:

• Yes i am quoting myself
  • I figured out what caused me to hate. Fear. I was afraid of bronies getting everywhere, like sand. But now i have learnt 2 things:
  1. Bronies have already, pretty much, got everywhere. As one of my non-brony friends said "Bronies aren't everywhere on the internet, because now they ARE the internet." (I have no idea what he meant when he said this)
  2. What was there to fear? The stare?
Edited by BritishBrony 13