Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why Are Bronies Disliked?

Aureity

You didn't fix anything. Regardless of what we believe on gender roles the average person in that bowling alley's annoyance would have been heightened due to it being MLP.

But... it's their business, why should people care? Forget gender roles, and MLP in general; I'd say the same thing about football, bananas, or even belibers, even though I personally don't prefer any of them. As long as its not hurting anybody or breaking any laws, and they're not forcing you to conform to their way of thinking (i.e "in your face"), people should be able to do what they want without someone harassing them. It's that simple.

... how could you ignore a bunch of, quite frankly obnoxious grown men watching a show made for 6 year old girls?

The same way ignore allegedly grown men shrieking, bellowing and banging the table at my local Chinese restaurant that has a TV with a football game on it.  Those guys don't do group hugs and the like - they break things and act hostile.  Apparently, they are under the impression that this makes them "real men."  Obnoxious is in the eye of the beholder - you can let it annoy you or you can focus on something else.  It isn't about you.  So many people who get invested in disliking another group, whether it be Bronies or football fans, tend to forget that the behavior they find so aggravating isn't aimed at them. 

As for running into pony/ Brony stuff everywhere - yes, it's pretty ubiquitous.  But so are cloyingly cute sayings attached to pictures of cats and pug-dogs.  Do I think people should stop posting that stuff everywhere?  No!  It makes lots of people happy, and lots more enjoy what they post.  Why rain on their parade? Keep clicking - go someplace else.  It isn't really that hard to avoid ponies, Bronies, Persian cats, pug-dogs or football. 

I do a couple of hours casing the Internet and researching things for my blog almost every day.  I rarely encounter pony/Brony stuff.  I'm much more likely to encounter football, pugs or cats.  If you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Brony, then I submit that you need to revise your "surfing" habits.  As for encountering Brony shenanigans on an MLP forum, well, if you don't want to run the risk of getting something stinky on your shoes - don't go into the cow pasture!

My say and reasoning is...

1) They were originally exposed to Bronies through the stereotypes, such as... well, you don't need me to explain.

2) The fact enforced in the first place that people should "act their gender," or like shows intended for their gender.

3) We ponify everything. Even I will admit... it does get out of hand. But some things are cute, it is just the people that overreact about it. But then there are things that are just, like, "Why?!"

4) Some may just be, literally, naturally jealous. I'll be honest, before I was a Brony, and it was only my friend who was one, I envied him for how happy he always was and everything. I asked him why be is so happy, and he just said, "My Little Pony just really helps." I couldn't see getting into it, but I finally gave it a go, and was soon like, "Shoot, this is great!" Still, I am sort of an undercover Brony... at least, I don't make it for everybody to know. Just hide it.

And, for the ultimate reason...

5) The human race is corrupted and prefers to listen to stereotypes rather then create their own opinions.

And, if I found what some Bronies are... aroused... by.... I am not sure if I would be typing this... ughhh...

The same way ignore allegedly grown men shrieking, bellowing and banging the table at my local Chinese restaurant that has a TV with a football game on it.  Those guys don't do group hugs and the like - they break things and act hostile.  Apparently, they are under the impression that this makes them "real men."  Obnoxious is in the eye of the beholder - you can let it annoy you or you can focus on something else.  It isn't about you.  So many people who get invested in disliking another group, whether it be Bronies or football fans, tend to forget that the behavior they find so aggravating isn't aimed at them. 

As for running into pony/ Brony stuff everywhere - yes, it's pretty ubiquitous.  But so are cloyingly cute sayings attached to pictures of cats and pug-dogs.  Do I think people should stop posting that stuff everywhere?  No!  It makes lots of people happy, and lots more enjoy what they post.  Why rain on their parade? Keep clicking - go someplace else.  It isn't really that hard to avoid ponies, Bronies, Persian cats, pug-dogs or football. 

I do a couple of hours casing the Internet and researching things for my blog almost every day.  I rarely encounter pony/Brony stuff.  I'm much more likely to encounter football, pugs or cats.  If you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Brony, then I submit that you need to revise your "surfing" habits.  As for encountering Brony shenanigans on an MLP forum, well, if you don't want to run the risk of getting something stinky on your shoes - don't go into the cow pasture!

While I agree that bronies don't have the internet stranglehold they once did [that's unfortunately been switched out for anime] they still are very obnoxious for the most part. Also you're ironically proving the very thing you're trying to disprove. You say that the football fans "break stuff" and "act hostile". How is that different to watching a TV show on a screen meant for showing bowling stats? Nevermind it being MLP, it's obnoxious at all to do that no matter the show!

Guys, let's calm it down. Personal attacks and sarcasm will not be tolerated. Any such post will be hidden; as I've had to do to a few posts.

Let's get back on track and not focus on back-and-forth arguing. We're a community; we don't need to be brony vs. anti-brony here.

Thanks.

• Brohoof 1

While I agree that bronies don't have the internet stranglehold they once did [that's unfortunately been switched out for anime] they still are very obnoxious for the most part. Also you're ironically proving the very thing you're trying to disprove. You say that the football fans "break stuff" and "act hostile". How is that different to watching a TV show on a screen meant for showing bowling stats? Nevermind it being MLP, it's obnoxious at all to do that no matter the show!

I don't know where you've been, homie, but Anime has never once lost its stranglehold on the innocent minds of the Internet, even at the height of Bronymania. I dream of a day when I will no longer be trouble by Anime's dark presence, but I fear that day will never come.

As for the topic at hand, there are an infinite number of reasons for someone to not like anything, but it usually boils down to being annoyed by Bronies, for whatever reasons, thinking lowly of Bronies due to viewing them as less masculine, or being disgusted by the "social awkwardness" of Bronies and bashing it since it's hard to deal with.

I don't know where you've been, homie, but Anime has never once lost its stranglehold on the innocent minds of the Internet, even at the height of Bronymania. I dream of a day when I will no longer be trouble by Anime's dark presence, but I fear that day will never come.

As for the topic at hand, there are an infinite number of reasons for someone to not like anything, but it usually boils down to being annoyed by Bronies, for whatever reasons, thinking lowly of Bronies due to viewing them as less masculine, or being disgusted by the "social awkwardness" of Bronies and bashing it since it's hard to deal with.

Granted it never has but bronyism was at the same grip during late 2012-mid 2013. 

Granted it never has but bronyism was at the same grip during late 2012-mid 2013. 

Maybe, but I simply think it's because Bronies were more loud with it rather than matching it scopewise. Bronies have not and never will reach the size of the Otaku crowd, especially on the Internet. But Bronies have surpassed Otakus in pushing and spreading their favored media a few times, I will concede that.

Maybe, but I simply think it's because Bronies were more loud with it rather than matching it scopewise. Bronies have not and never will reach the size of the Otaku crowd, especially on the Internet. But Bronies have surpassed Otakus in pushing and spreading their favored media a few times, I will concede that.

Exactly what I meant. Anime Fans will always have a bigger crowd but there comes a point at some times where another fandom manages to beat them on being vocal. Late 2012 to Mid 2013 were one of these times for the MLP fandom.

Sorry, don't mean to single out Arctic Monkeys FTW, (Is it OK to ask what FTW means?)  But I do read a fair amount of stuff, here and other places that suggests that people who don't think of themselves as Bronies, but like MLP FIM, are disgusted with or irritated by the more "ebullient" sort of Brony. 

I don't understand why, which is why I'm reading/participating in this thread.  Saying that Bronies are jerks,idiots or gay doesn't explain why a given person objects to them - it's just name-calling.  So I'm digging. 

As for the screens in the bowling alley...  I don't bowl.  Are the screens controlled by the bowlers or the staff of the bowling alley?  If there's a feed that allows the screens to show something other than bowling scores, I would think that makes it OK to do so. 

When watching the video, I would have guessed that people would be more upset about the... what?  Lack of decorum?  That the Bronies showed.  The hugging and acting silly.  A lot of people are uncomfortable with that sort of behavior - whether or not it has anything to do with ponies/Bronies.  I have seen that a congregation of Bronies can be pretty obstreperous.  They feel good and their high spirits tend to be expressed in ways that I, as an aging hippie, see nothing wrong with, but a more mainstream person might find annoying, disturbing, or just rude. 

I can understand the giddiness that sometimes surfaces when Bronies meet.  I can be pretty silly on occasion, myself.  The main reason I watch MLP FIM is that it makes me feel good - about myself, the world and life in general.  And I admit, there is a sense of wanting to share my good fortune with others.  I have never been the target of disapproval or censure from my peer group or the general public, but I suppose my age and sex garners me a fair amount of tolerance/ indulgence. 

But my overall sense is that non-Bronies feel threatened in some way by the more over-the-top Bronies.  And I would like to better understand why. 

Edited by Foliha

Exactly what I meant. Anime Fans will always have a bigger crowd but there comes a point at some times where another fandom manages to beat them on being vocal. Late 2012 to Mid 2013 were one of these times for the MLP fandom.

Ah, so we do agree on this then.

The Anime crowd has gotten way better at laying low and blending with other Internet users without being obnoxious for the most part. That's probably why they don't stand out as much as they once did.

Bronies need to take a cue from them, though I guess it's a bit harder when your object of interest is colorful ponies.

Yes it is. Take the bowling alley vid for example, how could you ignore a bunch of, quite frankly obnoxious grown men watching a show made for 6 year old girls?

http://mlpforums.com/blog/91/entry-13383-grown-really-tired-of-beating-this-dead-horse/

People aren't annoyed of it because it's too much of a thing, they're annoyed because it's too much different.

• Brohoof 1

http://mlpforums.com/blog/91/entry-13383-grown-really-tired-of-beating-this-dead-horse/

People aren't annoyed of it because it's too much of a thing, they're annoyed because it's too much different.

I'm sorry, but did it ever occur to you she could just be trying to appease her fans who would go after her if she said it was? A show with pink candy colored horses IS for little girls, whether you can face the reality is up to you, but there's no denying the facts.

Another really annoying thing is that a lot of bronies have a need to be special. This thread is a good example, At least 95% of  the posts is "Because we are different" or "Because we break gender rolls". Both of these arguments are complete bullshit.  I have never met an hater who hates bronies because they're different or because bornies break gender rolls. (By the way bronies do not break the gender rolls.) 

I'm sorry, but did it ever occur to you she could just be trying to appease her fans who would go after her if she said it was? A show with pink candy colored horses IS for little girls, whether you can face the reality is up to you, but there's no denying the facts.

And why would you think she would blatantly lie like that?

• Brohoof 1

stop ponifying everything.

People ponify other products because they like them and wonder what if you merge both of them together. Ponifications are a hell of a lot of fun to work with, and they often work. See Fallout: Equestria, for example. Anyone who gets upset over other products getting ponified by bronies is not a fan of the "precious ponified franchise" they "grew" to know and love. If it's a brony who gets upset over them, they're no better.

Anyone who understands Lauren Faust's thinking and career would know how she doesn't aim exclusively for one gender or one age group. Her mentality is very similar to that of the people from Pixar, Stephen Hillenburg (the creator of Spongebob Squarepants and head writer of SBSP for the first three seasons), Andrew Brenner (the current head writer for Thomas & Friends), and her husband Craig McCracken. The concept of good quality has NO demographic. People watch the show because it's GOOD.

In fact, this show is much closer to the roots of G1 and MLP altogether than Tales or G3. Founder Bonnie Zacherle explicitly stated at least twice that My Little Pony was founded as a unisex toy franchise. In other words, boys AND girls. By spouting the lie of FIM being "a show with pink candy colored horses IS for little girls," you're reinforcing blatant sexist stereotypes.

You're objectively wrong on everything you last posted. By just being a brony, you're breaking gender roles or gender stereotypes altogether, even if you don't know it. My Little Pony was hit with the sexist stigma that bright, warm colors are only for little girls. Friendship Is Magic calls out that stereotype by bringing the show back to its gender-neutral roots and reinforcing the idea that anyone who enjoys quality animation can and will enjoy FIM.

Why wouldn't there be a ton of news about thousands of teen and adult men being fascinated by a franchise once on life support? A franchise whose popularity spread through word-of-mouth on social media Because it's something you don't truly see. The only one to come closest is The Powerpuff Girls, which Faust worked on as a storyboarder and writer.

And, yes, there are way too many haters who spout some really disgusting anti-brony rhetoric. Read all the comments from people on here who have or had people, including friends and family, who spew homophobia when talking about FIM. Your anecdotes don't change this fact. There's a reason why a lot of bronies are in the closet about it: When anti-brony bigots think of FIM, they think the person is gay, a pedophile, or gross because they either find it unthinkable for anyone older than twelve to be a fan of a "young toddler's franchise" or like to write/draw R34. Some examples include:

1. When one user on here admitted to being a brony to his family, his homophobic parents decided to take everything he loved away, viewed him as a disappointment, and forced him to go on camping trips with his dad's friends.
  2. Last year, an 11-year-old brony attempted suicide because people bullied him for being a brony.
  3. Not long after, another kid who's also a brony was bullied for bringing in his Rainbow Dash backpack and was told he wasn't allowed to bring it because the school called it a trigger for bullying.
  4. A mom allowed her four-year-old daughter to explore the Internet unsupervised, and the kid found R34. This mom blamed the adult bronies for staining the show. Any sensible parent would NOT allow their child that young to venture online without parental supervision, or at all.
  5. How several anti-bronies quickly get banned for trolling this forum. IIRC, the main webmaster, Feld0, had to ban one of his anti-FIM friends a few years ago for trying to troll MLP Forums.
Edited by Old King Q
  • Brohoof 3

Maybe because most bronies would go insane if she said it was for little girls, and perhaps even dox her?

That's pretty sad if that's the case. I know MLP is a show marketed for young female children. That can't possibly be in dispute save by the deluded.

Maybe because most bronies would go insane if she said it was for little girls, and perhaps even dox her?

That's pretty sad if that's the case. I know MLP is a show marketed for young female children. That can't possibly be in dispute save by the deluded.

Drop that conspiracy theory: There's no good reason to believe it one bit. Faust has been involved in several family-friendly cartoons with adult followings at least twice before — The Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home of Imaginary Friends — and has always been very supportive of the older brony fandom. Her reply to the anti-brony on DeviantArt is just one example.

Recently, after Equestria Daily posted about her latest fundraiser for the Wildlife Learning Center, Faust posted this in the comment section:

Thanks for sharing EQD!!! And thanks to all who help out!

Edited by Old King Q
  • Brohoof 3

I think bronies are disliked because people are told from a very early age whats for boys and whats for girls. Now girls have a lot more flexibility in this, however if a guy likes something that is suppose to be for girls, people get frightened and uneasy. It's a very unfair system, but it's the way gender works in this world. Bronies are becoming more and more accepted as it becomes more well known, but as long as this target audience system exists, brony haters will exist.

Edited by The Fiery Brony

People ponify other products because they like them and wonder what if you merge both of them together. Ponifications are a hell of a lot of fun to work with, and they often work. See Fallout: Equestria, for example. Anyone who gets upset over other products getting ponified by bronies is not a fan of the "precious ponified franchise" they "grew" to know and love. If it's a brony who gets upset over them, they're no better.

Anyone who understands Lauren Faust's thinking and career would know how she doesn't aim exclusively for one gender or one age group. Her mentality is very similar to that of the people from Pixar, Stephen Hillenburg (the creator of Spongebob Squarepants and head writer of SBSP for the first three seasons), Andrew Brenner (the current head writer for Thomas & Friends), and her husband Craig McCracken. The concept of good quality has NO demographic. People watch the show because it's GOOD.

In fact, this show is much closer to the roots of G1 and MLP altogether than Tales or G3. Founder Bonnie Zacherle explicitly stated at least twice that My Little Pony was founded as a unisex toy franchise. In other words, boys AND girls. By spouting the lie of FIM being "a show with pink candy colored horses IS for little girls," you're reinforcing blatant sexist stereotypes.

You're objectively wrong on everything you last posted. By just being a brony, you're breaking gender roles or gender stereotypes altogether, even if you don't know it. My Little Pony was hit with the sexist stigma that bright, warm colors are only for little girls. Friendship Is Magic calls out that stereotype by bringing the show back to its gender-neutral roots and reinforcing the idea that anyone who enjoys quality animation can and will enjoy FIM.

Why wouldn't there be a ton of news about thousands of teen and adult men being fascinated by a franchise once on life support? A franchise whose popularity spread through word-of-mouth on social media Because it's something you don't truly see. The only one to come closest is The Powerpuff Girls, which Faust worked on as a storyboarder and writer.

And, yes, there are way too many haters who spout some really disgusting anti-brony rhetoric. Read all the comments from people on here who have or had people, including friends and family, who spew homophobia when talking about FIM. Your anecdotes don't change this fact. There's a reason why a lot of bronies are in the closet about it: When anti-brony bigots think of FIM, they think the person is gay, a pedophile, or gross because they either find it unthinkable for anyone older than twelve to be a fan of a "young toddler's franchise" or like to write/draw R34. Some examples include:

1. When one user on here admitted to being a brony to his family, his homophobic parents decided to take everything he loved away, viewed him as a disappointment, and forced him to go on camping trips with his dad's friends.
  2. Last year, an 11-year-old brony attempted suicide because people bullied him for being a brony.
  3. Not long after, another kid who's also a brony was bullied for bringing in his Rainbow Dash backpack and was told he wasn't allowed to bring it because the school called it a trigger for bullying.
  4. A mom allowed her four-year-old daughter to explore the Internet unsupervised, and the kid found R34. This mom blamed the adult bronies for staining the show. Any sensible parent would NOT allow their child that young to venture online without parental supervision, or at all.
  5. How several anti-bronies quickly get banned for trolling this forum. IIRC, the main webmaster, Feld0, had to ban one of his anti-FIM friends a few years ago for trying to troll MLP Forums.

Wonderful. All you've posted are bad things that happened to bronies and not actually providing an actual rebuttal to my statement. You seem to think that just because a very small minority is being persecuted for liking the show, that excuses the outright idiotic actions of the majority. I guess I need to break out some more cringe to really show you the screwed up things this fandom has done.

Drop the SJW politics.

See? This the shit why many think bronies are a disease. Ánd then you even have the nerve to complain about haters....hypocrisy at it best.

You must understand that some people simply don't like seeing their favourite character, game or whatever turned into ponies or ponified. Especially if it gets shoved into their faces.

Edited by Commissar Alexer
  • Brohoof 4