Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Celestia's shortened name

Rarity Paige Belle

(edited)

I prefer Celie, or just Cel. Usually she's just plain ole' Celestia to me though :P

Also this thread could use a poll :3

Edited by Eloquence

(edited)

Celestia is a lovely name, don't think it needs to be shortened  :P

Never liked "Tia" but "Celie" doesn't sound very natural. How would you pronounce it? Celly? Not feeling it...

If you pronounce it like Céline Dion, it sounds pretty nice!

Edited by Jaref

There was a character named Celestia Ludenberg in an anime I watched recently, Danganronpa, and her shortened name was Celes. I thought it sounded pretty neat, so now I always associate the name Celestia with Celes. :3

But oh man, Sunbutt... That sounds even better!!

For some reason, 'Tia' never really fit Celestia, IMO. I much prefer Celie as it just seems more natural.

I say Tia, it feels more natural to me (given that is what I've always referred to her in shorthand by). Celie just sounds too weird to me; so it's gonna be Celestia, Tia or her official title "Mary Sue Sunbutt" for me.

Shortened names are usually nicknames. You can have more than one. :)

For example, my name gets shorted to Fhao or Fae depending on who's doing the shortening. Or sometimes just 'Hey you'. ;)

The advantage of 'Tia' is that it's already used as a short name for 'Cynthia' and is a name of it's own, of Spanish origin (meaning 'aunt'). So calling Celestia, 'Tia' would actually be pretty appropriate for any of the ponies that Celestia has 'adopted' as nieces/nephews over the millennia like Cadance. It could have easily entered common parlance from there. :)

Celly on the other hand sounds like a sibling nickname. It's a bit harsher sounding (only a step away from calling her 'Celery', in my opinion), and can be twisted to be pronounced in a fond way, or an irritated way.

Everytime I hear 'Tia', I just think "aunt". So I always find it funny because Luna is basically like "Aunt! Aunt!" when she says "Tia! Tia!" in videos and fanfictions. I do call her Celly though, which I guess can also be written as Celie. So It's fine.

I really, REALLY dislike "Tia" as a nickname for her. Celie is much better IMO, though I prefer calling her by her full name. "Sunbutt" I don't find amusing at all because I feel its funniness has been played out. But that's just me being a stick in the mud.