Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think Discord is the only one of his kind out there?

Lillia

Given that Cheerilee identified the statue-fied Discord as a "Draconequus" first, and not as a statue of a named individual, seems to imply that there might be others of his kind out there somewhere in that world, or at least there were at some point.

However, the rest of her introduction, including the noted association with disharmony, would also seem to infer that his powers, or at least his disposition towards the concepts of order and chaos, are not unique to him alone, and that enough of his kind share this view or power set that the ponies consider all Draconequus' to be chaotic beings.

Assuming others exist or have existed.

Maybe I'm reading too far into this.

But what do you think?

• Brohoof 2

I thought about this too for a bit, but then came to my own conclusion. However, its a bit hard to word, so I'll tell you it through a storyish thing.

Posted Image

This here is Arceus, the god/dess of all Pokemon, who enjoys creating abominations for his/her own sick sense of humor. S/he is the only one of his kind, always has been and presumably always will, and his/her kind is called Arceus.

HOWEVER

If I caught Arceus, and named him/her Hank Hill, his/her name is now Hank Hill, but s/he is also still an Arceus.

Now replace Arceus with Draqonequus and Hank Hill with Discord.

Does that make any sense or did I fail at explaining it?

Edited by Tom the Diamond
  • Brohoof 9

I think that there were more, but they were driven extinct. Or imprisoned in stone. Or are currently hanging out in Tartarus.

Either way, Discord was the only one on the loose during his episodes.

I'd doubt it, if there were more she would have mentioned "He is the worst of his kind" or something more vague implying that there is a race or horde of them somewhere in equestria.

I thought about this too for a bit, but then came to my own conclusion. However, its a bit hard to word, so I'll tell you it through a storyish thing. Posted Image This here is Arceus, the god/dess of all Pokemon, who enjoys creating abominations for his/her own sick sense of humor. S/he is the only one of his kind, always has been and presumably always will, and his/her kind is called Arceus. HOWEVER If I caught Arceus, and named him/her Hank Hill, his/her name is now Hank Hill, but s/he is also still an Arceus. Now replace Arceus with Draqonequus and Hank Hill with Discord. Does that make any sense or did I fail at explaining it?

Pfff....Darkrai all the way man

Discord cannot have a match, he has to be a unique random being or it makes the character less chaotic, or if there is another Draconequus it would have to be completely different physically and psychologically to keep the Draconequus species chaotic meaning biologically they wouldn't really be members of the same species.

I think that draconequi are a sort of mythical beast to ponies, but the stories are based on discord, who is unique.

Perhaps Draconequi are a race, and the race as a whole was related to chaos, and they all were a mismatch of animal features. But only discord actually has reality warping. Perhaps he is the last remaining draconequus as well?

• 5 months later...

I thought about this too for a bit, but then came to my own conclusion. However, its a bit hard to word, so I'll tell you it through a storyish thing.

Posted Image

This here is Arceus, the god/dess of all Pokemon, who enjoys creating abominations for his/her own sick sense of humor. S/he is the only one of his kind, always has been and presumably always will, and his/her kind is called Arceus.

HOWEVER

If I caught Arceus, and named him/her Hank Hill, his/her name is now Hank Hill, but s/he is also still an Arceus.

Now replace Arceus with Draqonequus and Hank Hill with Discord.

Does that make any sense or did I fail at explaining it?

I like this idea. It makes sense to me atleast.

However maybe discord is simply a powerful being among his people. Maybe like Celestia is among the ponys? Or the queen of the changelings?

That was my theory before I saw the this theory but I think i might have to adapt to this one it sounds like it makes more sense anyways :P

• 3 months later...

My thoughts on this are as follows.

Discord's species, 'Draconequus', is not an actual species of animal. It is a made up species to describe what Discord's appearance is. Because Discord has been around since the start of time, ponies thousands of years ago began to coin the term 'Draconequus', which means 'Dragon Horse', to describe the creature terrorizing them. The term stuck to legends of Discord throughout the centuries, and is still used in modern day. This is why Cheerliee explained the term to her students.

As it also states, I believe that Discord has been around since the start of time, since he's the spirit of a fundamental law of nature. But even if you don't believe that, this could still work fine in my opinion, because he was sealed away for a thousand years, which meant the ponies he was terrorizing before Celestia & Luna stoned him, could have coined the term 'Draconequus' to describe him.

• Brohoof 2

Well, actually, the word Draconequus is a combo of the Latin word "draco" and "equus", which translates into "dragon-horse".

If Discord truly was half dragon-half pony (like, his mom was a dragon and his father was a pony...for some reason) there probably would be more that one of him, considering ponies and dragons are capable of forming realistic relationships with each other. It is kind of a squick-ish thought, but if a dragon and pony did mate, maybe they would conceive a powerful creature like Discord?  :blink:

This would make sense if Discord just had the parts of a dragon and pony however, but considering he has the parts of a deer, a goat, a lion, an eagle and a lizard, Discord's family tree must be really complicated. That, or half-pony half dragons just naturally get other animal parts, as a pairing of a horse and a dragon is so illogical.

Edited by Rarietty

Discord is the embodiment of chaos, one can assume he's been around longer then both Celestia and Luna.  I do think he is the only one of his kind. 

Edited by Dusty Soul

Their is only one of them, and it is Discord. He is widely known for being famous, and like how Tom explained it...their is only one of his kind but he is still called 'Discord'.

Hmm, I think that 

1. The're others like him maybe somewhere else on their ''planet'' or another completely different planet.

2. Starswirl was performing a spell and screwed himself over, but I'm leaning more to 1

Edited by PonyPowaX1000

If I may place my input, I've alway been one to assume that Discord is an 'elder god' of sorts.

Yes, there may have been more Draconequus concentrated into a small community/kingdom, but I believe Discord was the first and the most powerful. In my book, a Draconequus is simply a Chimera, a compilation of multiple species/elements. Discord, to me, was the result of the great cosmic combining of the chaos of these species put together. I'm not saying he's as old as time, Earth (Equestria?), or the universe as we know it. I'm just saying that he's powerful, and that he shaped his species for funsies and made himself king. Then being king became boring for him, and he decided to have some fun. Which, in turn, led to his binding.

Now, I'm saying this because he is too powerful, and I highly doubt that if the Draconequus were a race, they would have this volume of power. Because if so, how is the world not totally been screwed up by these mischievous deities? 

Hope that was informative, or, at least fun to read.