Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is being sad a bad thing?

Discordly Cutiepie

Being sad is part of being human, it's one of our many emotions. Just like anger or happiness, sometimes it can hit us like a feather and sometimes it can hit us like a ton of bricks at the most unexpected times.

To be honest, I'm hardly sad, I'm a very upbeat and cheery guy.

• Brohoof 6

Being sad in moderation is never a bad thing, as it allows you to remove excess emotional baggage, and can often be cited as felling renewing. It also keeps you empathetic, and allows you to understand how others are feeling better.

But being constantly sad or depressed is not healthy, and can often effect your day to day life in largely negative ways.

• Brohoof 4

Sadness can be a good thing, but as with everything else there is a limit. You definitely should never hold it in or else you can get severe medical or mental complications. The same can happen if you take sadness into depression.

Of course, how you express sadness can be viewed in different ways by people you know. Being male, you're not expected to cry in public, but as I tend to cry during times of stress I have been teased, picked on, and even threatened with humiliation for my shedding of tears.

Just remember: tears can be a GOOD thing.

• Brohoof 2

I think there's definitely value to exploring our "sad" side! It keeps us well-balanced. As long as you don't wallow in the depths of sadness to the point where you become chronically depressed, there's nothing wrong with that.

I feel like, culturally, people are often told that sadness (or any negative emotion) is inherently bad. Sad or angry people are always told to "cheer up!" or "look on the bright side!" or "have a positive attitude!" even if they have a valid reason to be sad or angry. I don't think we should shun our negative feelings this way. If you're sad, be sad! If you're pissed, be pissed! Get it out of your system so you can move on and have happier times down the road. I feel like more damage comes from people constantly suppressing negative feelings rather than people who explore their negative feelings.

• Brohoof 4

To me, there's two seperate kinds of sad. 

There's the "sad" feeling you get when reading something such as a dark story, viewing a heart-tugging image, watching the rain as it calmly touches the outside ground, Hearing a soft, gentle song that forces your emotions to pour out of your system, and so on. This is the enjoyable, yet somewhat eerie type of sad that can be good for you in managed doses.

Then there's the sad in which the pit of your heart feels empty and hollow. Your thoughts begin to race with no end in sight. You cling to whatever positives find their way to you in vein as you struggle to hold yourself together. Your doubts and fears slowing tearing you apart inside...This can also be described (possibly better so) as being in a depressed state of mind. This is pure misery and is not an experience you want to indulge in too often, or else you'll fall into a trap that you can't escape from.

• Brohoof 1

To me, there's two seperate kinds of sad. 

There's the "sad" feeling you get when reading something such as a dark story, viewing a heart-tugging image, watching the rain as it calmly touches the outside ground, Hearing a soft, gentle song that forces your emotions to pour out of your system, and so on. This is the enjoyable, yet somewhat eerie type of sad that can be good for you in managed doses.

Then there's the sad in which the pit of your heart feels empty and hollow. Your thoughts begin to race with no end in sight. You cling to whatever positives find their way to you in vein as you struggle to hold yourself together. Your doubts and fears slowing tearing you apart inside...This can also be described (possibly better so) as being in a depressed state of mind. This is pure misery and is not an experience you want to indulge in too often, or else you'll fall into a trap that you can't escape from.

Yes some one that understands that every time I tell people there are two different types of sadness they just give me a blank expression now I can explain it to them by showing them this
  • Brohoof 2

i see it being a good thing i used sorrow to create a Fan Fic i would purposely make myself sad by listening to songs or other Fan Fics and get inspired off of it to create my own 

Why would anyone read a fic with a sad tag if so?

because there awesome capturing someponies emotions is much better then capturing there laughter well thats how i see it. If you dont then thats cool i dont judge

• Brohoof 1

This has come about from a convocation I had

I love not just like but love making my self sad and cry I don't know why but sad films music games ( mass effect ) all of it

Dose anyone else love being sad or is it just me

I wouldn't exactly call what you are feeling "sad", on the contrary, it seems to be a pleasure of experiencing something tragic because you are removed from it but have a sympathetic reaction to whoever is expressing it, that is, what you are viewing/listening to is intended to achieve that pathos.  That's perfectly normal.  Do you have the side feeling that "my life is at least better than this" or "and I can use this to think of a way to improve the suffering of the world" etc.?

I doubt, however, that this translates to enjoying being sad if, say, a relative of yours dies.  (Unless, of course, you wanted them dead or (s)he leaves you with an inheritance.) 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

There's a bit of a difference between feeling sentimental and feeling sorrowful. Sometimes watching or reading something sad can be really comforting and lead to some tender emotions. Being sorrowful is just painful and can spiral into anger and various other emotions that are difficult to deal with.

Both cases aren't bad things though, they're just a part of being alive.

Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 1

Being sad is good, because, as in light and dark, happiness wouldn't exist if sadness didn't exist too. For you to blow out a candle, it needs to be lit first. For you to feel happiness, you need to have felt sadness before.

... Of course in moderate levels. I agree with the above posts about the kinds of sadness. You can't just say "Oh, I'm feeling sad" all the time. You got to watch out for depression and other mental diseases. Unfortunately, most people don't know how to tell if they're sad or if they're depressed. And that's dangerous.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Being sad is a common human emotion that is needed to grow. IMO, crying is not a sign of weakness at all...in fact, it's an expression of how you feel...sorta like smiling, or sighing. It only shows you are just as human as everyone else. :)

Edited by Peachie Buttbutton
  • Brohoof 1

I think it is sometimes appropriate to feel sad.  There's something in Philip K. Dick's story "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" that fits this perfectly.  In the story, people have these devices called "mood organs" that can be utilized to dial up a certain emotional state.  One of the characters explained how she had just dialed in a particular mood before realizing something that would ordinarily be rather depressing.  And though she grasped the thing "intellectually," as she put it, she didn't experience the emotion that ought to accompany it.  SO, she set her mood organ to allow her to experience depression every so often.  Because being content or happy when something utterly dismal occurs or surrounds you...  It's incongruous.  Sometimes, it's appropriate to feel sad.

Well being sad is a natural emotion, and as long it doesn't effect your mood, so you're constantly feeling down and sad, there's nothing bad about it and nothing else to do than embrace it. 

I don't like being sad, but again it's natural and it's better for me to embrace than deny it.

• Brohoof 1

Embracing sadness and facing it is not a bad thing,but allowing it to drown and suffocate you is.

Sometimes being sad is a appropriate and even a revealing experience,however sometimes being too sad for too long can lead to a state of hopelessness which can destroy you slowly. 

• Brohoof 1

I don't think Sadness is bad. Well it really depends on what the circumstances are. Anyway Sadness isn't bad in my opinion, although it's a negative trait of emotion I see it as a positive one. Being sad doesn't always means bad, being sad can also show that you care. Like you are sad for certain friend because he changed to not what you expect, a change that you don't like. You know you don't like that change, you're sad about him because you care for him. That's how i see sadness IMO :P. In my perspective sadness is the root for one to be happy and determined.

also do't always be sad because too much negative emotion can lead you to something worst. 

Anyway any signs of emotion, be it negative, be it positive, is what makes us human :)

• Brohoof 1

I enjoy being sad. It is a change from the happy go lucky self that I am. And I keep most of my emotions bottled up so when I cry I feel better.

Also being sad is a regular human thing and you should do it sometimes. But if you are sad your whole life you need someone to cheer you up. I am there for anypony who has that problem :D.

• Brohoof 1

Health wise, yes. Sadness induces stress into the body which has many bad effects including but not limited to: reduced judgment skills, aging, increased weight gain, and can lead to depression. However, crying is actually not bad. It relieves stress, cleans out the eye socket, sheds excess salts from the body, and improves mental health. Too much, however, can be unhealthy, but that's true of too much of anything.

Honestly, I occasionally enjoy the feeling that a good sadfic can give me. When it's all over and done with, I like to hug my Rainbow Dash plushie and that always makes me smile.

• Brohoof 1

Crying is a natural mechanism to relieve built up stress. Sometimes, when I know I need to cry (i.e. the awful arguments I've been having with my mom the last two weeks) I'll deliberately play sad music. It helps me to relieve the tension that is built up in my chest and the rest of my body. It also helps heal the heart by relieving pressure. You can literally die from heart break (seriously, look it up), and bottling it up only makes it worse.

So, it's a very good thing to cry. Perfectly natural, and when you have to, find a way to force it.

Health wise, yes. Sadness induces stress into the body which has many bad effects including but not limited to: reduced judgment skills, aging, increased weight gain, and can lead to depression. However, crying is actually not bad. It relieves stress, cleans out the eye socket, sheds excess salts from the body, and improves mental health. Too much, however, can be unhealthy, but that's true of too much of anything.

Honestly, I occasionally enjoy the feeling that a good sadfic can give me. When it's all over and done with, I like to hug my Rainbow Dash plushie and that always makes me smile.

I hug my Snowdrop. She's so cuddly with her minky fur and her cotton mane... :3

• Brohoof 2

Being sad is an emotion like any other.

I many times like to cry for a character.
Feeling her pain. It builts connections for me and helps me venting and feel more alive.

• Brohoof 1

Butters put it better than anyone 

I would say sadness is a good thing, because if you've never been sad you are likely empathetic. Everyone has rough points in their life. But, as others previously stated, too much sadness can be detrimental to your health. As hard as it is to believe, sadness is actually a good thing provided you don't feel sad all the time. It's proof that you're still alive, and that's quite an accomplishment if you think about it  :)

• Brohoof 3