Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What religion do Equestrians practice?

firerock2245

Well of course those religions don't exist, but plenty of fantasy universes have their own religions as well. This is just fun speculation as to some that might exist there. 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

Ever hear of the concept of Thearchy? The only perfect government would be one headed by divinity. Celestia and Luna are both immortal, have saved Equestria in an ancient past from a being of chaos, and remain to this day to the be the keepers of ancient knowledge and power.

Sound familiar?

olympian.jpg

Don't know, but Celestia is name dropped in the vein of prayer or grand declarations.

"With Celestia as my witness!"

"In the name of Celestia!"

So maybe the concept of prayer doesn't exist, because the idea of prayer is communing with God the only way we understand how to. The ponies can just talk to Her. Even if they don't worship Celestia, She seems to be in a vague place between royalty and divinity. Yes She is the head of state, but at the same time she's also been a constant throughout the century of the nation's existence, spanning the lifetime's of others.

Well, we get this from the Friends Forever comic #7

post-28184-0-26485400-1415767779_thumb.png

My best guess is that it has a habit of changing itself from time to time, starting out as royalty, going to divinity, then back to royalty when Celestia said enough.

• Brohoof 2

Actually that's a good question, who are their parents?!  :blink:

and what happened to them? And why are they completely forgotten and not in books? Hmmm...maybe they had been born during the unity? But then granny smith was there at the founding of ponyville but still no sign of them...

attachicon.gifScreenshot (18).png

My best guess is that it has a habit of changing itself from time to time, starting out as royalty, going to divinity, then back to royalty when Celestia said enough.

they seem to not like the divinity treatment, that's good.
  • Brohoof 1

attachicon.gifScreenshot (18).png

Interesting evidence. I'm normally very pro immortality, but that usually comes with the caveat that things change as life goes on. So Celestia and Luna probably need a change in dynamic every couple decades or so.

From Rarity's hoof kissing making Celestia seem awkward and the fact that She thought being waited on hand and hoof by the Cakes though, I get the feeling Celestia would like nothing more than to connect with the ponies on a more personal level.

Perhaps that's why She cherishes Her relationship with Luna and Twilight, they are the only two in the entire world that treat Her as just Celestia rather than "the princess."

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 3

I wouldn't say they directly worship the princesses, but in some way. Like they're regarded as gods or demigods. 

Sort of like pharaohs...

That is actually an interesting comparison. The Pharaoh was considered the Lord of both gods and men, the vassal of Osiris who reigned as Pharaoh in death as the current ruler did in life. The Pharaoh's word was both the law of the land as well as the command of the gods.

So the comparison of Celestia as being either directly linked to the divine or semi-divine Herself might be similar in practice.

In terms of sheer power, Celestia & Luna are at least Demi Gods.  But, are they worshiped, or merely honored as we would honor the president?  The Summer Sun festival is a ceremony, but worship?, or merely the office Xmas party?

They do seem to lack a definite church hierarchy.  Is Cadence's marriage a civil ceremony? Or, is the Equestrian religion like I've read the early Quakers were?  They didn't feel that anyone had a special relationship w God, just whoever felt called upon to testify would.  This seems the most likely to me.

I tend to go w Sheldon's comment "I can't believe in a God who takes attendance" & I think the ponies are like this.

• Brohoof 1

Another "ALL ATHEISTS!" post and again I would just like to know why or how? In your headcanon, nopony ever pondered the meaning of life or morality? Or took up a cause or belief that they didn't know would succeed but choose to believe in?

You think that pondering the meaning of life or morality causes someone to cease being an atheist?

You think that taking a long shot causes someone to cease being an atheist?

If I do recall correctly I remember in the episode Filli Vanilli Applejack compared Fluttershy's singing to being " a little slice of heaven". Sooooo religioninequestriaconfirmed! Alright bye!

• Brohoof 2

You think that pondering the meaning of life or morality causes someone to cease being an atheist?

You think that taking a long shot causes someone to cease being an atheist?

Of course not, but those very things are the heart of what makes a religion. Just add some symbolism to your morals and a bit of narrative flair and that technically makes a religion. So to have the ponies be around for as long as they have and with a civilization as peaceful, cooperative, and fantastical as theirs; the lack of any form of spirituality just seems like a stretch of the willing suspension of disbelief.

Edited by Steel Accord

• 2 weeks later...

As to invoking Celestia's name "As Celestia is my witness..."  That's a reference to the movie Gone With The Wind, where Scarlett vows "As God is my witness, I will never be hungry again!" (Felt the same way last time I fell off my diet).  Back in Y2K, it made the Amarican Film Institute's list of 100 most famous movie lines.  But, shoot, that movie was before my time, it's probably before most of you guys grandparents were born. (& at 4 hours, it's unlikely to be remade.  4 hours ain't a movie, it's a mini series!  & at that, they left out most of the book.)

Does this usage mean they worship Princess C, or is it more like the Catholics invoking the saints?  Princess C officiated at the wedding. Was that in her capacity as Ruler of Equestria, or an act of God?  Muddying the issue is the fact that, until recently, most cultures claimed divine right for kings (or even divine descent)

• Brohoof 1

As to invoking Celestia's name "As Celestia is my witness..."  That's a reference to the movie Gone With The Wind, where Scarlett vows "As God is my witness, I will never be hungry again!" (Felt the same way last time I fell off my diet).  Back in Y2K, it made the Amarican Film Institute's list of 100 most famous movie lines.  But, shoot, that movie was before my time, it's probably before most of you guys grandparents were born. (& at 4 hours, it's unlikely to be remade.  4 hours ain't a movie, it's a mini series!  & at that, they left out most of the book.)

Does this usage mean they worship Princess C, or is it more like the Catholics invoking the saints?  Princess C officiated at the wedding. Was that in her capacity as Ruler of Equestria, or an act of God?  Muddying the issue is the fact that, until recently, most cultures claimed divine right for kings (or even divine descent)

I think you're bringing up the most valid point thus far. Lacking what would be considered a canon clarification, the "question of divinity" is like most things about Equestria. Very open to interpretation and all the better for it. Questions are, after all, sometimes better than the answers.

I don't think there are any religions in MLP.

Yet another all "atheist/no religion" statement. Look, I'm not saying it's not possible, I just wish those with the stance would elaborate a bit more as to why they think that way. Preferably by providing evidence of an atheist sentiment expressed by one of the characters rather than trying to disprove actions that could be interpreted as spiritual as not being such.

Yet another all "atheist/no religion" statement. Look, I'm not saying it's not possible, I just wish those with the stance would elaborate a bit more as to why they think that way. Preferably by providing evidence of an atheist sentiment expressed by one of the characters rather than trying to disprove actions that could be interpreted as spiritual as not being such.

Look, I'm just stating my opinion, and if you can't respect that, then I don't know what to tell you. :P  I'm not saying that there isn't for a fact, but we haven't seen any sort of evidence to say there is, and until then, that's my stance. Plus, I don't really get that deep into the show.

How can we assume they practice anything if we never see them attending church or whatnot :wacko:?

Think of all the criticism and Hasbro would get if they alluded Christianity or some other religion as the Equestrian's religion (Jesus Colt? I dunno lol). Hypothetically speaking.

Ponies naturally worship me, the Madgod. It all makes sense, Fluttershy is the high priestess, my very manifestation of butterflies saved her life and then adorns her rump as her destiny.

Pinkie Pie is the embodiment of my will and Discord a shade of my nature.

Ponies use mugs with handles, and my personal favorite: doorknobs. Ever so delightful to see them fumble around those with their wee hooves!. Especially if they're doing it while trying to escape a burning building. Oh it is like waching the usual display but on fast forwards and with a lot more screaming!

And if you keep a close eye, (or a closed one if you feel adventurous) there is cheese, everywhere! Even Canterlot has banners with cheese slices.

And the most definitive indication of the glorious Sheogorath is Princess Celestia and Luna. Celestia is obviously my Golden saint in pony form and Luna is my Dark Seducer in pony form.

Also Fork of horripilation decorates the Canterlot castle library.

Not to mention all the ponies are mad!

Edited by Sheogorath

*sigh* Why do bronies make topics like this?

There IS no religion in the show. No one is worshiped.

What? Blasphemer! Of course they worship me! And Sundays, everybody likes a sunday, expecially with Celestia around dishing the top quality sun. enjoy the solar sanctity.

Oh and have a sundae.

• Brohoof 1

Sheogorath.  If you have seen any of the parody/satire videos "Friendship Is Witchcraft", Fluttershy seems to be the head of some cult that Rarity is a member of.

As to religion, I've seen some PBS shows that said some Neanderthals buried objects with their dead, showing a belief in life after death.  It has been 40+ years since I took an Anthropology class but I still remember they had a list of traits all human cultures have.  It started w Age grading, Athletics, Bodily adornment... & had Eschatology in it (I remember because I had to look up what that meant.  Basically, it is the answer to the question "What happens to us when we die?" & the part of religion that deals w this)

IMO, I think that is as close to a universal trait of sentient life as the universe is likely to attain.  I'm sure the ponies have something in that department.  Call it philosophy if the word religion bothers you.  I'm also sure that Hasbro ain't never going to go within a million miles of that & won't let anyone else do so, either. Too controversial

The closest they've ever come is the episode where Scootaloo dragged the CMCs through what sure looked like a funeral (can't recall which one).  In "It's About Time", they show Cerberus & mention Tartarus.  Plus, "Twilight's Kingdom" where they also mention Tartarus  (Greek mythology, the place where the souls of evil folks go for eternal punishment)

• Brohoof 2

Look, I'm just stating my opinion, and if you can't respect that, then I don't know what to tell you. :P  I'm not saying that there isn't for a fact, but we haven't seen any sort of evidence to say there is, and until then, that's my stance. Plus, I don't really get that deep into the show.

I DO respect your opinion. I simply requested some elaboration as to the reason. To form an opinion based on nothing but a knee jerk reaction is not self examining. A stance I am critical of, but won't press farther if it's deemed invasive.

How can we assume they practice anything if we never see them attending church or whatnot :wacko:?

Think of all the criticism and Hasbro would get if they alluded Christianity or some other religion as the Equestrian's religion (Jesus Colt? I dunno lol). Hypothetically speaking.

Well not all religious observation has to be rooted in ceremony and not all prayer need be spoken aloud.

Yeah, well I'd be critical of that as well. Equestria, despite some similarities to Earth, is decidedly a fantasy setting. To have the citizens practice an Earthly faith by name would destroy the willing suspension of disbelief and lessen Equestria as a distinct world that it's managed to make itself.