Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fandom after the end- what then?

Zefir

Everyone knows this. Sooner or later, maybe after season 5, 6 or even 11, the show will end. No more episodes, not even Equestria Girls. 

It will be a sad moment for all of us, but let's ask: what will happen to the fandom? Over nearly 4 years as a community we managed to do quite a lot. Art, music, fanfiction, card and video games, conventions and charity events. There's a lot out there. And a lot we went through. Both happy times and hardships, copyright strikes and suicides. Yet we are still here, enjoying  our favorite pony show. The connections we made are not going to disappear, and our friendships will hopefully last forever. 

So my question is: given a good, long run of the show, what will we do after it ends? Will we just go away, or perhaps try to at least try to keep it alive for a little longer? Or maybe try building the fandom on it's own?

• Brohoof 2

I doubt bronies will just die off that easily. Certainly we'll slow down and plenty of people will take their leave from the fandom, but there will still be plenty of dedicated fans who'll stick around for a long time. They're still be bronies for a long time after the show ends. Plus, when G5 eventually starts, who knows? The next generation might be just as good, or even better than the current one. We're not going anywhere any time soon.

• Brohoof 5

I think we as bronies will continue for maybe a year or so. The real hardcore fans might continue for longer, or maybe never stop at all. But most will probably just move on to another show.

The fandom would slowely die out, and not continue

That is until generation 5 comes out :wub:  

Most likely the most of us just move on. I know I would.

But then again, there's a very good chance that there would be a G5...

Edited by ReGen
  • Brohoof 2

Well, more than likely the fandom will continue on, but it will likely be much smaller, and the can content will likely slow to a crawl. Yeah, fanart & fiction will likely still come, but animations & music would likely stop at some point.

It is what it is. :)

When Friendship is Magic is done and over, and if the next generation ends up sucking (doesn't need to be better than FiM), I'll fall out of it, but I'll remember Friendship is Magic as that one show that got me through my teenage and early adult years, and got me to make new friends. :)

• Brohoof 1

I must say, didn't really consider next generation as a possibility. Sure, there would be a long time in between, but that's a good chance for a new start, perhaps even with a good chunk from the previous generation's fandom. B)

Hard so say as no fandom has ever started or evolved like this one. There is no real good frame of reference, but here is my take.

There will be attrition of the casual community. The ones who were not as active, or who have already started to feel somewhat separated from the show. Many of the artists in a few years likely expect to be doing non fan related items so show or no show ... I see some of them moving on anyway. I've seen that happen so many times in other fandoms it isn't funny. Those who have a deep affinity for the show that they feel helps define them will remain, in some form or another. Those that have made friends through the community will remain ... but only on the periphery. feld0 will likely be a cyborg tied directly to the Poniverse so I expect this portal to continue.

We have one ... very ... very ... very curious card up our sleeve though. Something that not many have thought of. I never fully grew out of Transformers, and Star Wars. I was young and within that target audience at the time. How hold was the target audience in 2010 again. How old are they today? How old will they when they experience nostalgia?

Yeah, Bronies will continue ... but in what form ... the demographic makeup ... that is the question. :D

• Brohoof 2

G1 Transformers still has a healthy fandom... and it never had the huge internet community when it came out.  There's still occasional G1 material coming out to pander to that limited group.  After this show ends I wouldn't put it past them to have the occasional TV special.  Something that has less of a budget than a whole season just to keep bronies invested for a long time to come after the shows ends.  Plus there will be a G5 and Hasbro would be foolish not to market that to bronies as well.  I don't it will go back to tea parties and inane dialogue.

Honestly I've been an MLP fan for at least 20 years. Still going strong and will continue to be an MLP fan after G4. No matter what happens, I'll still be here!

• Brohoof 3

• 3 months later...

( if this is the wrong section and/or someone has already posted about this sorry i didn't know and you can move it to the correct location if desired to. also if this kind of post isn't allowed then please take it down. i'm kinda new to a certain extent so sorry)

okay don't mean to make anyone sad or anything like that its just that... what will happen when this all ends? again i know it might be sad to think about but what'll happen after a year passes when it ends? we'll all slowly get away from the fandom and things will slowly die down won't they? i'm sorry if i'm ruining anyones' day but i'm curious on what you guys (and girls) will say. i believe that the forums will lose a majority to all its users in a few years and sadly enough the cons will end within a few shorter month than a year. i honestly wish it wouldn't end but nothing last forever and it just sucks. its horrible to think about the fact that many people like myself haven't even gone to cons yet because we're to young and that when we get the chance i'm afraid that it'll end and no more cons will be available to go to. 

anyway i would like to know your opinions on the subject. what might go out first? forums? cons? fan-fiction? what do you think? (very sorry if i ruined your day by any chance but like i said i'm curious to know what you guys -and girls- think) :(

@@shadowbass, as your thread is concerned with the fandom's continuation after FIM ends, I have merged it with a pre-existing thread of similar discussion. Please use the search function to check for pre-existing threads which relate to your desired topic of discussion before posting potential duplicate threads :) 

@@shadowbass, as your thread is concerned with the fandom's continuation after FIM ends, I have merged it with a pre-existing thread of similar discussion. Please use the search function to check for pre-existing threads which relate to your desired topic of discussion before posting potential duplicate threads :)

thank you (^~^ ill remember that next time i post anything else 

I'll probably get back to my Pokémon, but fully back instead of halfway like I am now, cutting half my time for Pokémon and half for my little pony. It'll be all Pokémon just like it was before I watched this show. Yes, I'll be sad that it'll be gone and I'll finally have to start looking for a Pokémon forum and fanfiction site, but hey. Life moves on.

It will be a sad moment for all of us

I think you're being dramatic.

On the contrary, I'll be glad if the show ends on a good note, guaranteeing the show won't go on to eventually go downhill. I'll take looking back at a show that the creators decided to end as an artistic choice thinking to myself "Man, that show was awesome! I'm glad I was there to experience it!", over a show that keeps making new episodes, despite not being as good as it used to be.

• Brohoof 2

All I know is that I will join a fandom for a show but I won't watch a show for a fandom. If the fandom dies then I'll still collect what I like to collect and watch what I like to watch. I think the fans will go on if there is a transition to a new show of course (and taking its popularity into account).